Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   History (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Dinosaurs Compatible With Christianity? (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355814)

RouteOne 06-24-2005 09:10 PM

I could have sworn reading his whole body dissapeared. If not, my bad.

Volumnius Flush 06-24-2005 09:12 PM

[QUOTE=amostbitterseason]I could have sworn reading his whole body dissapeared. If not, my bad.[/QUOTE]

You are right. The error is in the order. Jesus on the cross gave his soul up. And he was dead. They took him to the tomb. He came back to life, moved the stone and ascended to Heaven I think. Some time later, he came back. From the time he died, to the time he returned was 3 days.

Volumnius Flush 06-24-2005 09:22 PM

Hey amost and Dropper, what turned ya'll against religion? And after you give me the reasons that have been used since when, give me some original thoughts and observations.

If you rely on the explanations of others, your beliefs can be changed. Not directed at ya'll, but just a general statement.

Trivium 06-24-2005 09:23 PM

or, its just a metaphor and never happened

RouteOne 06-24-2005 09:26 PM

[QUOTE=Volumnius Flush]Hey amost and Dropper, what turned ya'll against religion? And after you give me the reasons that have been used since when, give me some original thoughts and observations.

If you rely on the explanations of others, your beliefs can be changed. Not directed at ya'll, but just a general statement.[/QUOTE]
I mostly changed because of what was happening inside the church. Corruption, secret money deals, safe gaurding pedophile preists. I also saw god as a idea, not a actual spiritual figure. He is an idea that helps people live their lives. I am not one of those people.

Iskandar 06-24-2005 09:29 PM

[QUOTE=Volumnius Flush]Hey amost and Dropper, what turned ya'll against religion? And after you give me the reasons that have been used since when, give me some original thoughts and observations.

If you rely on the explanations of others, your beliefs can be changed. Not directed at ya'll, but just a general statement.[/QUOTE]

I suppose it's because I'm an individual thinker, basically. I'd prefer to trust my own beliefs rather than that of a religion.

For example, I support homosexual marriage. If I were a Christian, I might be able to do that, but it would technically go against my religion; and more pious Christians such as yourself would disagree with me.

Another reason would be that I find the Bible to be incompatible with my view of the universe. I accept the theories of evolution and the Big Bang, etc. I believe in life outside our planet, and an infinite universe.

Finally, for all of the good it does bringing societies together, religion creates just as much strife. In my opinion, of course.

Volumnius Flush 06-24-2005 09:31 PM

[QUOTE=The Dropper]I suppose it's because I'm an individual thinker, basically. I'd prefer to trust my own beliefs rather than that of a religion.

For example, I support homosexual marriage. If I were a Christian, I might be able to do that, but it would technically go against my religion; and more pious Christians such as yourself would disagree with me.

Another reason would be that I find the Bible to be incompatible with my view of the universe. I accept the theories of evolution and the Big Bang, etc. I believe in life outside our planet, and an infinite universe.

Finally, for all of the good it does bringing societies together, religion creates just as much strife. In my opinion, of course.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=amostbitterseason]I mostly changed because of what was happening inside the church. Corruption, secret money deals, safe gaurding pedophile preists. I also saw god as a idea, not a actual spiritual figure. He is an idea that helps people live their lives. I am not one of those people.[/QUOTE]

So was God, in the words of Blu Cantrell, 'cramping your style'?

And to both of you, do ya'll feel that you may one day find religion?

Idiot Martyr 06-24-2005 09:34 PM

Bah sorry guys, I haven't been back on the forums in a little bit. I was geeking my dream guitar rig.

Anyways, thanks for your kind words Flush (the morality thing).

I didn't leave Christianity in the 8th grade, that was just the time I was the most devout. I started to slip a little in 9th but was still a pretty good follower of Christ. In 10th I started to question things more and more. I began studying the history of many of the word's religions and thinking more about them. Then early on in the 11th grade I left Christianity but was still a follower of Christ (I just didn't completely agree with the church). Later in the year I became Agnostic, and eventually slid comfortably into Atheism.

And that is my religious life story lol.

RouteOne 06-24-2005 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=Volumnius Flush]So was God, in the words of Blu Cantrell, 'cramping your style'?

And to both of you, do ya'll feel that you may one day find religion?[/QUOTE]
Cramping my style? NO. I just saw the absurdity of it all. I began to think for myself, not what others told me to believe in.

I do follow Asatru.

Iskandar 06-24-2005 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=Volumnius Flush]So was God, in the words of Blu Cantrell, 'cramping your style'?

And to both of you, do ya'll feel that you may one day find religion?[/QUOTE]

I suppose he was. Actually, I don't believe in God, and I don't think I really did even when I was attending church, so it's probably better that I'm out. I'll leave the piety to people like you who genuinely care.

Will I ever find religion? I very much doubt it. I'm doing fine without it, in my estimation; and I like how not being allied to any particular religion allows for an objective, unbiased view of the others. Even a devout Christian like yourself could see the benefit in that. Because of that objective view, I've come to the conclusion that all religions are very similar, and that none is better than the other.

Iskandar 06-24-2005 09:36 PM

[QUOTE=amostbitterseason]Cramping my style? NO. I just saw the absurdity of it all. I began to think for myself, not what others told me to believe in.

I do follow Asatru.[/QUOTE]

That's what he meant ... and who or what is Asatru? I have an interest in world religions, but I've never heard that name.

RouteOne 06-24-2005 09:38 PM

[QUOTE=The Dropper]That's what he meant ... and who or what is Asatru? I have an interest in world religions, but I've never heard that name.[/QUOTE]
It's basically a pagan polytheistic Norse religion. NOT WICCA.

Thor, Oden, valhalla ect.

Idiot Martyr 06-24-2005 09:41 PM

[QUOTE=amostbitterseason]It's basically a pagan polytheistic Norse religion. NOT WICCA.

Thor, Oden, valhalla ect.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was spelled "Odin." And would you care to elaborate on that one? I'm interested in expanding my knowledge.

Volumnius Flush 06-24-2005 09:43 PM

[QUOTE=Idiot Martyr]I thought it was spelled "Odin." And would you care to elaborate on that one? I'm interested in expanding my knowledge.[/QUOTE]

And what made you leave the church?

RouteOne 06-24-2005 09:45 PM

[QUOTE=Idiot Martyr]I thought it was spelled "Odin." And would you care to elaborate on that one? I'm interested in expanding my knowledge.[/QUOTE]
It's Oden.

Here is a site explaining much of it.

[url]http://www.asatru.org/[/url]

Idiot Martyr 06-24-2005 09:46 PM

[QUOTE=Volumnius Flush]And what made you leave the church?[/QUOTE]

Difference in opinions to put it simply. I posted that big paragraph, did you read it?

Der Übermensch 06-24-2005 09:46 PM

I'm not sure, but I think Asatru some form of Mysticism or Animism. I'm sure he can explain better.

Iskandar 06-24-2005 09:47 PM

[QUOTE=amostbitterseason]It's basically a pagan polytheistic Norse religion. NOT WICCA.

Thor, Oden, valhalla ect.[/QUOTE]

Those are names from Norse mythology. Is this a modern interpretation of Norse beliefs?

Idiot Martyr 06-24-2005 09:47 PM

[QUOTE=NOFXFreak]I'm not sure, but I think Asatru some form of Mysticism or Animism. I'm sure he can explain better.[/QUOTE]

That link explains it pretty well.

[QUOTE=The Dropper]Those are names from Norse mythology. Is this a modern interpretation of Norse beliefs?[/QUOTE]

It even says "Norse religion" in the post you quoted.

Volumnius Flush 06-24-2005 09:49 PM

[QUOTE=Idiot Martyr]Difference in opinions to put it simply. I posted that big paragraph, did you read it?[/QUOTE]

Oops I thought I'd read it.

Hey Dropper and amost, I have some harsh words for ya'll. I want say it if ya'll don't want to here.

RouteOne 06-24-2005 09:49 PM

Asatru is basically one of the oldest European belief systems. Asatru is actually most early European religious beliefs given one name. It's a polytheistic religion based off of the runes.

Read this site. It explains it well.

[url]http://www.religioustolerance.org/asatru.htm[/url]

Volumnius Flush 06-24-2005 09:55 PM

So you believe in Oden dadadada all those gods? You believe Oden is floating around somewhere?

RouteOne 06-24-2005 09:56 PM

[QUOTE=Volumnius Flush]So you believe in Oden dadadada all those gods? You believe Oden is floating around somewhere?[/QUOTE]
Yes I believe in them. I want to honor my European ancestors.

Do you believe God is floating somewhere?

Iskandar 06-24-2005 09:57 PM

[QUOTE=amostbitterseason]Asatru is basically one of the oldest European belief systems. Asatru is actually most early European religious beliefs given one name. It's a polytheistic religion based off of the runes.

Read this site. It explains it well.

[url]http://www.religioustolerance.org/asatru.htm[/url][/QUOTE]

I read a translation of the Sayings of Har, which seems to be basically a universal morality code/collection of folk wisdom and proverbs. It's amazing how much of it we follow today as morals; very little has changed, save for a few slightly sexist passages which are easy to understand in historical context.

RouteOne 06-24-2005 09:59 PM

[QUOTE=The Dropper]I read a translation of the Sayings of Har, which seems to be basically a universal morality code/collection of folk wisdom and proverbs. It's amazing how much of it we follow today as morals; very little has changed, save for a few slightly sexist passages which are easy to understand in historical context.[/QUOTE]
the thing that separates what I believe in from Christianity is that you do not "serve" the gods, but you see them as your brothers and sisters. They are more powerful than you but they are close to you.

Volumnius Flush 06-24-2005 10:02 PM

[QUOTE=amostbitterseason]Yes I believe in them. I want to honor my European ancestors.

Do you believe God is floating somewhere?[/QUOTE]

Yes. I believe God is really there.

I think it's spelled Àsatru. But religions like that have always interested me. I f I wasn't a commited Christian I might have wondered into something like that.

RouteOne 06-24-2005 10:04 PM

[QUOTE=Volumnius Flush]Yes. I believe God is really there.

I think it's spelled Àsatru. But religions like that have always interested me. I f I wasn't a commited Christian I might have wondered into something like that.[/QUOTE]
What interests you about it? I'm curious.

Volumnius Flush 06-24-2005 10:06 PM

[QUOTE=amostbitterseason]What interests you about it? I'm curious.[/QUOTE]

I don't really know a lot about it. That's part why I'm interested. I just imagine the stories of the gods and Valhalla and all that stuff. And I some reason identify those religions as cold because I identify their countries/origins as cold places, and I like cold weather.

Iskandar 06-24-2005 10:11 PM

You should study the mythology; it's interesting.

Flush, here's one question that contributes to my belief that God doesn't exist: Where exactly is He in the universe?

Volumnius Flush 06-24-2005 10:13 PM

[QUOTE=The Dropper]You should study the mythology; it's interesting.

Flush, here's one question that contributes to my belief that God doesn't exist: Where exactly is He in the universe?[/QUOTE]

I think I know where you're going. But He's omnipresent. He's everywhere at all times.