Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   History (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   My Solo Album...cd help (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356604)

Shazzam 06-24-2005 07:11 PM

[QUOTE=Zakka]The main problem isnt really the CD itself. I have a way more professional work recorded with my Ska band and never sold too much albums.

Come on, dont waste your money.[/QUOTE]

No, we want him to.

SocialIntercourse 06-24-2005 07:12 PM

30,000 is completely unrealistic. Get like 500 maybe. You can sell them to friends and stuff. It isn't very good.

kidthatplaysguitar91 06-24-2005 07:12 PM

w/e if you wanna buy 30,000 cd's go ahead, but i suggest get some more music in there and kill the techno

kidthatplaysguitar91 06-24-2005 07:13 PM

your not gonna make $300,000.00

HereticX 06-24-2005 07:15 PM

[QUOTE=apromisingyear]True, very true.

(here comes one of my favorite words...)

HOWEVER,

I have a volunteered TEAM of people to help with the production. Basically an assembly line.

Songs burned to blank cd-r > Label burned onto top of cd > Inserts placed in cases > Cases placed back into box > Out to their destinations (in other words, in your hands)

I'll be having 10-20 people burned it onto cd 8-12 hours out of the day straight until production is done. LInserts will be printed onto professional cd quality paper and placed inside the cd by another hand full of people.

Its going to be a LOT of work but in the end of this (not counting costs + fees) i'll make $300,000. Take away the costs/fees it should be about $290,000. For those who aren't so great at math, the album is going for $10. Any other questions/comments?[/QUOTE]

Hey man, I hate to be the party pooper but the plan kinda sucks... :)

The best course of action would be to outsource all the production to a company that does CD print/sleeve printing. You will probably get a much better deal this way. At the end of the day, if the CD is not silver on the underside noone will consider it a proper album ;)

For a project of this size, you need to secure channels of distribution. Make contact with distribution companies at the countries you want to target. Turn talk into contracts and THEN estimate the projected sales for each country.

You need some sort of marketing plan. Press kits, the actual ads you will place in mags etc..This requires contacts with major magazines in each country. That is where your team of friends can help (calling mags, getting prices etc.)

Then you need to take care of the initial advertising+production capital. The advertising will very likely be more costly than the actual printing of 30K CD's. Make sure you can raise this capital +a bit more for unforseen costs.

If you used other people's stuff as samples, backing tracks, get in touch with them or their companies to get the licence to do so. If your project succeeds and they find out they will sue for all you got +any golden teeth you might have.. :D

In my opinion, It will be one hell of a task to pull this off, especially to reach 30k sales worldwide as a newcoming "nobody" (no offence here) with very little marketing planning.

I think you should rework your strategy. Financially the loss will not be that great in the event of a total flop but still, you need to maximise your chances.. :thumb:

Heh, I knew that degree would come in handy one day..! :D

clairvoyant 06-24-2005 07:16 PM

Don't do it. Big waste of money. 30,000...yea...right...

Start with 1,000...

Shazzam 06-24-2005 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=clairvoyant]Don't do it. Big waste of money. 30,000...yea...right...

Start with 1,000...[/QUOTE]

Honestly, after just listening to the song, I would highly reccomend starting off with about 10-15 cd's first.

kidthatplaysguitar91 06-24-2005 07:23 PM

hahahahahahaha

I Love Fat women 06-24-2005 07:23 PM

I just downloaded a Good Charlotte album just for comparison, it's seriously better... lightyears better.

HereticX 06-24-2005 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=HereticX]Hey man, I hate to be the party pooper but the plan kinda sucks... :)

The best course of action would be to outsource all the production to a company that does CD print/sleeve printing. You will probably get a much better deal this way. At the end of the day, if the CD is not silver on the underside noone will consider it a proper album ;)

For a project of this size, you need to secure channels of distribution. Make contact with distribution companies at the countries you want to target. Turn talk into contracts and THEN estimate the projected sales for each country.

You need some sort of marketing plan. Press kits, the actual ads you will place in mags etc..This requires contacts with major magazines in each country. That is where your team of friends can help (calling mags, getting prices etc.)

Then you need to take care of the initial advertising+production capital. The advertising will very likely be more costly than the actual printing of 30K CD's. Make sure you can raise this capital +a bit more for unforseen costs.

If you used other people's stuff as samples, backing tracks, get in touch with them or their companies to get the licence to do so. If your project succeeds and they find out they will sue for all you got +any golden teeth you might have.. :D

In my opinion, It will be one hell of a task to pull this off, especially to reach 30k sales worldwide as a newcoming "nobody" (no offence here) with very little marketing planning.

I think you should rework your strategy. Financially the loss will not be that great in the event of a total flop but still, you need to maximise your chances.. :thumb:

Heh, I knew that degree would come in handy one day..! :D[/QUOTE]

Ummm...just listened to the material...
You might wanna consider a few thousand dollars for bribes for the guys that will critique and rate it in magazines...
Forget it dude, spend the money on a good vacation with your girl... :thumb:

Hadji 06-24-2005 07:30 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The idea that you could sell 30,000 copies of a CD full of solos is just ridiculous. Are you insane? A majority of people don't want to hear some kids wanking over sh[b][i][/b][/i]itty backing tracks. I'd be suprised if you sold 100 copies.

MrConeman 06-24-2005 08:04 PM

[QUOTE=HereticX]Ummm...just listened to the material...
You might wanna consider a few thousand dollars for bribes for the guys that will critique and rate it in magazines...
Forget it dude, spend the money on a good vacation with your girl... :thumb:[/QUOTE]

:lol: :lol:

Thats one of the funniest things I've read on MX and ever

Anyone notice the main overdriven riff in you made me cry again sounds suspiciously like traci chapmans "fast car"

guitarplayer08 06-24-2005 08:09 PM

I suggest you get your songs mastered first, so it will sounds just like a commercial CD. I can tell they havent been mastered when I listened to them on my pair of Wharfedale DP8.2 Studio Monitors.

Shazzam 06-24-2005 08:09 PM

this thread delivers

Quiksilver26 06-24-2005 08:11 PM

yeah dude, i'm not criticizing your music here, i think it's alright. however it's not the type of music that would appeal to that many people, if the whole cd is like that.

EDIT: [QUOTE=Shazzam]this thread delivers[/QUOTE]
my god i love that saying lol. :lol:

HondoII 06-24-2005 08:16 PM

lol @ this thread

Diatonic Dissonance™ 06-24-2005 08:18 PM

lol@fred

Peg Dizzler 06-24-2005 08:38 PM

Yeah, I hate to say it APY, but I think you should listen to what most of the people on here have to say. You've disregarded most of their advice from what I've seen so far.

You're young and your music is, well, amateur. I'm sorry.

Start out with 100 or 500 copies of the album and see where it goes from there... definitely don't do more than 1,000. You don't want to be sitting on a pile of your own mediocre CDs when they aren't moving anywhere. Also, are these going to have artwork and whatnot? What you should do is write a little disclaimer saying anyone is free to burn the CD for their friends, that would work much better.

I'm sorry if I offended you in any way, but it's the truth.

atabner 06-24-2005 08:49 PM

Just lending weight to the arguement. I agree - the stuff you posted has definate talent, but it's nowhere near ready to hit the bigtime. There is a very small market worldwide for instrumentals.

30,000 IS too ambitious, theres no two ways about it.

In any event, what people have been suggesting is the way to do it, even if youre stuck on making 30,000. Make 500, sell them, make 2000, sell them, make 10000 etc. That removes the problem of needing much cash for the initial investment. The prices for CDRS you've been quoted above ARE good, there's no way to avoid costs like that.

gRaciouspatty 06-24-2005 09:01 PM

there has got to be some company that does this for professionals. I mean, from the looks of it, you must be professional being that you want 30,000 cds. I would keep looking around, I don't know of anything personally.

ChickenMcFicken 06-24-2005 09:17 PM

No offense but the song you said was best bored me at about a minute or earlier. I don't want to know what the others are like. I see yer from Antioch. Compare 30k to the population of it. I don't know how big the Och is, but I bet you'd have to sell a CD to everyone there to sell 30k, maybe even some to Pitt too.

I know you said you have people outside of the US, but I was just using that for an idea of how many people would have to buy it

snorfledumpkins 06-24-2005 09:24 PM

I remember that "you made me cry again"from a previous thread, no offense, but if that's the favorite then do you really think you'll sell 30k?!

6stringslinger 06-24-2005 10:27 PM

what are you smoking?

where did you buy it?

how much did it cost?

actually i think this is a joke,

if you buy 30k, you will be "Crying again"

seriously, start small then buy a few at a time.........if you sell all 30k come back and flame me and everybody in this thread

ak3jw 06-24-2005 10:37 PM

d00d prove these doubters wrong and make 30,000 cds

if u dont sell them at least it will be a good story to tell when you're homeless and broke

ChickenMcFicken 06-24-2005 10:39 PM

Ok, I looked it up, the Och is 90k. Can you imagine just about every house owning one of your CDs? (taking into consideration that one household isn't going to own more than one of the Cds)

GuitarSlinger 06-24-2005 10:40 PM

hahaha chicken your username is hella funny

ChickenMcFicken 06-24-2005 10:43 PM

It took you 1k+ posts to notice me? I'm sad :(

GuitarSlinger 06-24-2005 10:45 PM

nah dude ive seen ya around

CannedSpaghetti 06-24-2005 10:47 PM

I love this thread.

GuitarSlinger 06-24-2005 10:48 PM

seriously, how is a person that isnt signed by a record company going to sell 30k cds?

ChickenMcFicken 06-24-2005 10:48 PM

[QUOTE=GuitarSlinger]nah dude ive seen ya around[/QUOTE]
Yeah I know, I was just messing around. I wanted to do something in this room and can't remember so I'm sitting here until I remember.

GuitarSlinger 06-24-2005 10:53 PM

[QUOTE=ChickenMcFicken]Yeah I know, I was just messing around. I wanted to do something in this room and can't remember so I'm sitting here until I remember.[/QUOTE]
:lol: i hate forgetting stuff cuz its like [COLOR=White]F[/COLOR]UCK I KNEW WHAT I WAS GONNA DO NOW I DONT HOW THE [COLOR=White]F[/COLOR]UCK DOES THIS [COLOR=White]S[/COLOR]HIT HAPPEN?

ChickenMcFicken 06-24-2005 10:56 PM

[QUOTE=GuitarSlinger]:lol: i hate forgetting stuff cuz its like [COLOR=White]F[/COLOR]UCK I KNEW WHAT I WAS GONNA DO NOW I DONT HOW THE [COLOR=White]F[/COLOR]UCK DOES THIS [COLOR=White]S[/COLOR]HIT HAPPEN?[/QUOTE]
123 to that brova

apromisingyear 06-24-2005 11:26 PM

[QUOTE=6stringslinger]if you sell all 30k come back and flame me and everybody in this thread[/QUOTE]

I WILL sell that many and i'll be sure to come back and flame you all...haha

Actually, I don't think I would. I'd come back and let you all know I did but I wouldnt go and throw it all in your faces...but i'll let you guys know how it goes.

Music.is.Life 06-24-2005 11:26 PM

APY, you are stupid.

God, idiots make me so mad!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I'm having trouble trying put my thougts into words, you are just so AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Okay, if you can't get intrest in a forum filled with GUITARISTS for a GUITAR solo album, there's no way you can EVER sell 30,000 copies. Solo guitarists like Vai have probably never sold much more than that, and you are a piece of crap compared to them. Many bands never sell that much. Even if you were GOOD there would be a very slim chance for you to sell that many, there is just such a small market for this type of music. I've heard your stuff, and to be honest, its not good. I'm sorry but that's the way it is. I seriously dought there is any intrest WHAT SO EVER about your "album" in the countries you listed, actually I'm going to say it's IMPOSSIBLE. I dought that 10 to 20 people will want to work on your crappy cd for 8 hours a day, unless you pay them and they have no job/life.

There are some people on here that could do some solo albums, but not you.

I REALLY CAN'T PUT MY THOUGHTS INTO WORDS, YOU ARE JUST SO STUPID.

You are stupid.

apromisingyear 06-24-2005 11:29 PM

[QUOTE=Master_of_Puppets86]APY, you are stupid.

God, idiots make me so mad!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I'm having trouble trying put my thougts into words, you are just so AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Okay, if you can't get intrest in a forum filled with GUITARISTS for a GUITAR solo album, there's no way you can EVER sell 30,000 copies. Solo guitarist's like Vai have probably never sold much more than that, and you are a piece of crap compared to them. Many bands never sell that much. I've heard your stuff, and to be honest, its not good. I'm sorry but that's the way it is. I seriously dought there is any intrest WHAT SO EVER about your "album" in the countries you listed, actually I'm going to say it's IMPOSSIBLE. I dought that 10 to 20 people will want to work on your crappy cd for 8 hours a day, unless you pay them and they have no job/life.

There are some people on here that could do some solo albums, but not you.

I REALLY CAN'T PUT MY THOUGHTS INTO WORDS, YOU ARE JUST SO STUPID.

You are stupid.[/QUOTE]

I'll be honest here, I dont give a **** what vai and other solo guitarists have done. I dont care if they only sold 50 albums. I dont care if they sold 1,000,000 albums. It makes no difference to me. Dont compare me to them. I am my own perosn. Vai is Vai, Satch is Satch, and I am I. Period.

GuitarSlinger 06-24-2005 11:33 PM

[QUOTE=apromisingyear]I'll be honest here, I dont give a **** what vai and other solo guitarists have done. I dont care if they only sold 50 albums. I dont care if they sold 1,000,000 albums. It makes no difference to me. Dont compare me to them. I am my own perosn. Vai is Vai, Satch is Satch, and I am I. Period.[/QUOTE]
but you forgot 1 thing, they make music thats interesting

the21st_fret 06-24-2005 11:34 PM

I would reccomend contacting a record lable and requesting they design an album cover, then burn them and ship them to you, all for one fee. They might do that, or they might love it and offer you a contract. lol. cool either way really. sign a one album contract, no loss to you if it fails, and if it is succesful, you made a pretty penny anyway and now your name is well known and you would have a better chance of success on an entrepreneural album release (having already fulfilled your one album contract.

ChickenMcFicken 06-24-2005 11:36 PM

I understand where you're going with that APY, but he was just trying to point out that some of the most respected, talented, and famous solo guitarists haven't sold that many, what are the chances you will?

No offence meant here, you're a lot better than me, but that's what he was saying, and I gotta argree with the man, its just not worth the money to produce all those CDs all at once.Do as Moaner says and do a little at a time seeing where yer market is, and expanding upon it.

apromisingyear 06-24-2005 11:38 PM

[QUOTE=GuitarSlinger]but you forgot 1 thing, they make music thats interesting[/QUOTE]

that is YOUR opinion. A statement like that cannot be considered fact. It's all in the eye of the beholder