Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bands/Albums/Songs Ahead of Their Time (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481671)

Amp'd 07-13-2006 07:33 PM

How could i forget Mahavishnu Orchestra and U.K.

and until resently Modest Mouse

TheShrooms 07-13-2006 09:33 PM

The White Stripes debut album is this crazy blend of angry punk blues with this improvisational loose feel that...well it just hints back to so many great things that it just ended up being ahead of its time.

Oasis' Definitley Maybe...despite the fact it was well recieved, doesn't change the fact music wasn't sounding like that at the time. At the time everyone had just experienced Cobain saying, "Man I want to kill myself and life sucks and I see mulatto's and mosquito's". Immedietly afterwards, the man kills himself and suddenly these cocky musicians from Manchester go, "ANYways, yea...we're gonna Live Forever." That's beauty.

The Beatles' Revolver. To the childish goodness and cinematic quality of Yellow Submarine, the primitive drum and bass sounds of Tomorrow Never Knows, the amazing 2 guitar harmony in And Your Bird Can Sing, the neoclassism of Eleanor Rigby, which in my opinion STILL sounds ahead of it's time...the mundane topic of I'm Only Sleeping...everything about it is just great and it's all coming from 4 musicians who were just doing what they were doing. Everything else that came after were just cheap imitations.

And just for added reference: The Beatles - Within You Without You. If you hear it, you'll know.

Then there's bands now like Radiohead that may be "eh" to a lot of people, but they're the bands people are going to read about on some Amazon.com list in the year 2078 when some angsty teenager wants to know about the music that existed during his grandfathers time.

Oh yea, and Link Wray. Almost forgot about him.

Royd Rage 07-13-2006 09:40 PM

the white stripes did nothing but go backwards and make it work...how is that ahead of it's time?

same for radiohead...pink floyd did it almost 30 years earlier.

purple_hazer 07-13-2006 09:55 PM

[QUOTE=Kwash2]No, wrong again.

That's not ahead of their time, because people LIKED IT then.[/QUOTE]
i guess i just dont understand your logic, i thought we were talkin about ahead of their time, not popular/accepted

Amp'd 07-13-2006 11:12 PM

Ahead of its time, means it was over the heads of people during its time and it took years for it to be fully appreciated.

lionelhutz88 07-13-2006 11:14 PM

The Velvet Underground
King Crimson
Cynic

Amit 07-13-2006 11:14 PM

nusrat fateh ali khan

i think it will take a while before everyone starts having lightbulbs going over their heads with him

Audiopond 07-13-2006 11:16 PM

Cellaor is behind their time. I swear their lead singer sounds like Dickinson

As far as bands AHEAD of their time...i don't know. lol

Amp'd 07-13-2006 11:35 PM

[QUOTE=Atman]nusrat fateh ali khan

i think it will take a while before everyone starts having lightbulbs going over their heads with him[/QUOTE]
Oh man i love his voice. I thought he was fairly well known because he did a concert with peter gabriel, but i guess i see things in different ways to others.

Amit 07-13-2006 11:36 PM

he's fairly well known but his influence hasn't really been properly felt yet i think

Amp'd 07-13-2006 11:36 PM

[QUOTE=Atman]he's fairly well known but his influence hasn't really been properly felt yet i think[/QUOTE]
that is true.

he has also written songs with carlos santana

pudding time 07-14-2006 08:46 AM

Helmet. the extreme stop-go-stop-go riffs that are so commonplace now were not so popular in the days of "Strap It On" and "Meantime"

Maggies_Farmer 07-14-2006 10:49 AM

Rage against the Machine, inparticularly Tom Morello's guitar playing. Way ahead of its time.

Big trouble in little china...that was ahead of its time too.

Mars Volta 07-14-2006 10:58 AM

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica maybe?

Shadius 07-14-2006 02:18 PM

[QUOTE='R[o]yB[o]y']the white stripes did nothing but go backwards and make it work...how is that ahead of it's time?

same for radiohead...pink floyd did it almost 30 years earlier.[/QUOTE]

Pink Floyd blended brit-pop, trip hop, electronic music and futuristic sounding rock music into one album? And released a minimalistic electronic based record with almost no guitar in it?

I must be thinking of a different Pink Floyd.

Radiohead are both perfect for their time, and ahead of it.

JoshIsNumber3 07-14-2006 02:26 PM

omg u gice did u see the hilarious back to the future reference josh made omg srs what a great guy

Amp'd 07-14-2006 05:50 PM

[QUOTE=JoshIsNumber3]omg u gice did u see the hilarious back to the future reference josh made omg srs what a great guy[/QUOTE]
i seen it

i lol'd

JoshIsNumber3 07-14-2006 05:52 PM

tru srs

Amp'd 07-14-2006 05:57 PM

tru

Irish_Scorpion 07-14-2006 06:13 PM

[QUOTE=americanfootball]Earth's Earth 2: Special Low Frequency Version.[/QUOTE]

123 Sunn O))) as well

I'd say Kyuss, they weren't exactly 'ahead of their time', but I just don't hear much about them. Only when i see somethin about QOTSA does someone mention Kyuss.

FENDERGROUND 07-14-2006 06:15 PM

[QUOTE=pudding time]Well...This thread is to discuss music/musicians that were ahead of thier time. Err...this sounds lame but perhaps it could work.

I shall begin with King Crimson's album Discipline. It seems hard to believe that this was made in the early 80's. Even listening today it sounds fresh and original...like nothing else. The strange blend of obsucre time signatures, complex drumming and guitar arpeggios, Adrian Belew's quirky personality/narratives, and the atonal melodies and solos scattered across the 7 tracks work to form one of the coolest and most intruiging rock records ever. Buy it...you will be impressed. Listen to "Thela Hun Ginjeet".

Alright....[/QUOTE]

I met adrian Belew at a gutiar clinic and talked to him for a while...it was pretty cool.

sr800bkBassist 07-14-2006 07:30 PM

lots of people consider The Mars Volta ahead of their time, but really they just copied Can, spoke spanish in a few verses, and added some Drive Like Jehu spastic punk into there.

Can were WAYYYY ahead of their time though

same with Sigur Ros. if you listen to a Sigur Ros album, you can easily picture this music being made in the year 3000.

sr800bkBassist 07-14-2006 07:32 PM

[QUOTE=Amp'd]How could i forget Mahavishnu Orchestra and U.K.

and until resently Modest Mouse[/QUOTE]
Modest Mouse's old stuff was just Pavement with a more cartoonish voice.