Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archives (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Cain vs. Danish: Preliminary Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471686)

Danish 05-28-2006 09:39 PM

Cain vs. Danish: Preliminary Thread

Cain and I are going to have a debate. What should we debate?

dei 05-28-2006 09:41 PM

Anarchy in the UK because I am so punx.

Curtis89 05-28-2006 09:43 PM

Which one of you is the better debater.

Cain 05-28-2006 09:48 PM

I think it would depend on the topic, which is up to you.

Danish's strength seems to be in explaining social and political phenomena through economics, at least from what I've seen. My strength, in my opinion, is mostly in 20th century history and military history and explaining them through social conditions and philosophical trends. I think if we found a way to intersect the ideas we have about politics centered around a specific phenomena or event, that'd be the best way to come up with a topic that we are both strong in but which we come at from different angles.

I was sort of challenged to this anyway, though, so have at it. :) I also don't know how seriously Danish intends to take the debate, and therefore don't know how weighty the topic should be. I can go either way.

MAthiAS 05-28-2006 09:51 PM

[QUOTE=Cain]I think it would depend on the topic, which is up to you.

Danish's strength seems to be in explaining social and political phenomena through economics, at least from what I've seen. My strength, in my opinion, is mostly in 20th century history and military history and explaining them through social conditions and philosophical trends. I think if we found a way to intersect the ideas we have about politics centered around a specific phenomena or event, that'd be the best way to come up with a topic that we are both strong in but which we come at from different angles.

I was sort of challenged to this anyway, though, so have at it. :) I also don't know how seriously Danish intends to take the debate, and therefore don't know how weighty the topic should be. I can go either way.[/QUOTE]
Or something you both suck equally at.

Cain 05-28-2006 09:51 PM

[QUOTE=MAthiAS]Or something you both suck equally at.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that too. :(

Danish 05-28-2006 09:56 PM

Well, things I've been thinking about a lot lately include fascism and the media, but we could debate something we both like.

20th century wars? How about the Cold War.

I'm not taking it too seriously. It's for fun!

Cain 05-28-2006 10:01 PM

[QUOTE=Danish]Well, things I've been thinking about a lot lately include fascism and the media, but we could debate something we both like.

20th century wars? How about the Cold War.

I'm not taking it too seriously. It's for fun![/QUOTE]

I've done a lot of thinking about fascism too, specifically the willingness of people to follow men with absolute power and the subordination of conventional morality in the face of the atrocities it creates (mostly centered around Nazi Germany, as WWII is the area of history I'm most passionate about). I can do media, I could do Cold War but only with some additional research: I have a college textbook level of knowledge about it, just the broad strokes.

What have you been thinking about specifically about fascism and the media?

Danish 05-28-2006 10:09 PM

[QUOTE=Cain]I've done a lot of thinking about fascism too, specifically the willingness of people to follow men with absolute power and the subordination of conventional morality in the face of the atrocities it creates (mostly centered around Nazi Germany, as WWII is the area of history I'm most passionate about). I can do media, I could do Cold War but only with some additional research: I have a college textbook level of knowledge about it, just the broad strokes.

What have you been thinking about specifically about fascism and the media?[/QUOTE]

With fascism, I've been thinking mainly about the political economy of fascist states (not necessarily Naziism). I want to write a paper on the political economy of fascism and submit it for publication to see if I can get published... Basically, my thesis would be that, in terms of state-capital relations, fascism is very closely related to Keynesianism.

As for the media, I'm currently writing a paper for a class about the effects the Canadian media has on ideology.

I don't think either of us is more educated on the Cold War. We could debate whether the Cold War was actually cold or not...

Cain 05-28-2006 10:56 PM

Hmm, you are making me think of some interesting things relating to WWII and the emergence of the Cold War, but I don't know quite where it gets us in terms of a debate.

I don't want to just be relating everything back to the turf where I'm most comfortable. I had a big thing posted here but I'd prefer to just IM you if I could.

Meantime, come up with some ideas, people!

ashman 05-28-2006 10:58 PM

Is this going to be in the style of the old debates we used to have?

I always enjoyed those (well...I can only remember seeing two, most noticably the one with Fenwood).

Against Miik! 05-28-2006 11:09 PM

Well it would have to be something you both disagree on. That makes for a much more heated debate. Do you know anything you and him disagree on?

ashman 05-28-2006 11:25 PM

[QUOTE=i am miik]Well it would have to be something you both disagree on. That makes for a much more heated debate. Do you know anything you and him disagree on?[/QUOTE]

What good has the Iraq war done for the world? :p

To spice things up a bit more; Cain argues using Danishs strengths and Danish vice versa. If you can debate through the eyes of the opposition, then you have a [i]relatively[/i] unbiased view :chug:

griftadan 05-28-2006 11:36 PM

[QUOTE=Cain]I think it would depend on the topic, which is up to you.

I was sort of challenged to this anyway, though, so have at it. :) I also don't know how seriously Danish intends to take the debate, and therefore don't know how weighty the topic should be. I can go either way.[/QUOTE]

debate the new deal.

PepsiMetal 05-28-2006 11:52 PM

Lars Ulrich

dustindow 05-29-2006 12:37 AM

an issue surrouding 9-11? Ummm economical sp?

Is there such a thing as "democracy isn't for everyone?"

Carrionshine 05-29-2006 02:50 AM

What's a better mascot?

A giant douche?Or a turd sandwitch?

PerpetualBurn 05-29-2006 03:21 AM

"A strong army is invariably beneficial to the people of a nation"

Discuss.

coheneran 05-29-2006 05:00 AM

Women's liberation movements, starting from the Suffragettes.

2muchket! 05-29-2006 06:24 AM

Abortion, euthanasia, the supposed moral decline, racism, social status ????

StreetlightRock 05-29-2006 06:42 AM

Theory of value vs. the price mechanism.

nowhesingsnowhesobs 05-29-2006 07:12 AM

"Marxism is a crock of sh[B]i[/B]t."

Discuss

Seriously though, Perpetual Burn's and griftadan's suggestions were good.

Danish 05-29-2006 09:46 AM

[QUOTE=griftadan]debate the new deal.[/QUOTE]

Oooooooo I like that idea!

sensitiveorgan00 05-29-2006 10:09 AM

[QUOTE=Danish]Oooooooo I like that idea![/QUOTE]
Same. Please do.

-1up!- 05-29-2006 10:14 AM

[QUOTE=PerpetualBurn]"A strong army is invariably beneficial to the people of a nation"

Discuss.[/QUOTE]

I like that one a lot.

Cain 05-29-2006 11:03 AM

I like both PerpetualBurn's and griftadan's ideas. Perhaps we should have a poll?

I assume that the New Deal debate would be centered whether it was a good decision or a bad decision, yes?

cokecanbunny 05-29-2006 11:26 AM

Debate the effect of the fall of the iron curtain.

Danish 05-29-2006 12:22 PM

[QUOTE=Cain]I like both PerpetualBurn's and griftadan's ideas. Perhaps we should have a poll?

I assume that the New Deal debate would be centered whether it was a good decision or a bad decision, yes?[/QUOTE]

We could do that, or we could debate why the New Deal came about or what the purpose of the New Deal was.

You'd have the advantage in a debate about FDR's New Deal simply because I'm Canadian. As much as I know about labour law and political economy, I know very little about labour law in the US or how the New Deal came into fruition.

griftadan 05-29-2006 12:42 PM

alright. its offically on.

and i almost like perpetuals idea better, to me the new deal debate is one sided.

Danish 05-29-2006 12:43 PM

[QUOTE=griftadan]alright. its offically on.

and i almost like perpetuals idea better, to me the new deal debate is one sided.[/QUOTE]

How so?