Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Jam Session (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How does one find a band to join? (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575259)

Lord Moe 06-19-2009 03:23 PM

How does one find a band to join?

Hey guys. I've been interested in singing for a band for a while now. The problem is that none of my friends play instruments (well that's not true, but the ones that do are already tied up with their own music commitments).

If you are in a band, how did you become part of it? Was it just you and your friends or did you join because they were looking for someone with your talent?

Shady Ultima 06-19-2009 11:17 PM

Finding a band is extremely difficult. For many of my bands, it was just friends or people I kinda knew.

But my current band, I just kept posting classifieds all over the internet, and finally someone contacted me. I'm a singer/rhythm guitarist, and it took me months to find a group that I fit in with both personality and musically with.

Lord Moe 06-19-2009 11:54 PM

hmm, that's discouraging

fishbulb 06-20-2009 11:12 AM

My "band" formed from playing with friends who had instruments. I know 5+ guitarists, a few bassists, a singer (dedicated singer, 3 or possibly more of the guitarists can sing decently), and maybe a drummer or two (luckily i play drums so that's a plus for me). Once you find a few people to play with it opens up a lot of doors because you get introduced to all of th musician friends of the people you play with and then the people they know etc.

Most of the time the band falls into your lap without you even trying. i.e. You get a last minute call from a friend who is playing a show but their drummer (or singer in your case) can't make it so you have to fill in.

Just keep trying and hopefully you'll find something.

But regardless, you should make your friends start playing instruments. Even if they're really bad at least you can play along with other people until you find something better.

pikester 06-20-2009 01:58 PM

Craigslist. Musicians Section.

Ed Jalowiecki 06-23-2009 08:42 PM

If you can't find a band, be your own band. You're a singer, and I assume you play guitar as well. You should play open mics or just do solo gigs until you find the band you want.

I found the band I'm in now through classified ads in a local paper. I've played in bands with friends in the past. I think the more you meet and network with other musicians, and get out there yourself performing any way you can, you'll come across people you'll connect with musically, personally & professionally.

Cramboli 06-24-2009 12:31 PM

[QUOTE=pikester;17314779]Craigslist. Musicians Section.[/QUOTE]

But that doesn't always work... The onlythings on CL around my area are either 100+ miles out of range or just some snotnosed 12 yr old with firstact gear who thinks they know everything about everything... I've seen countless times posts that say anyone under 18 it's ridiculous...

kwallace7 06-24-2009 10:54 PM

My band started with people I know through college. At first it was just rhythm guitar and me (bass) jamming, then we found a lead guitarist cause he worked with my buddy. The lead guitarist knew a drummer and I asked a guy in one of my classes if he could sing, turned out he could. So we started playing parties around town, which escalated to small venues and bars.

Craigslist can be tricky, but I've had some good luck with it. (a couple disasters as well.)

Aussiedrummer 06-27-2009 02:03 AM

I found it really hard to start a band at first. Over about the past four years I have been through a number of bands or projects with people. The majority have been from sites with classifieds like gumtree, faster louder etc. Depends where you live. Also music shops (instruments and gear not cd's) also normally have a band pin up board in the store so try check that out. Also in my town at the rehearsal studio's people also put up flyers when they are looking for a band member.

I also agree with getting your friends to learn an instrument. If you do not know guitar or piano, or somethin to write your songs with, start learning, get a friend to try drums, at least then you can jam and even do some small gigs/ open mics. One of the worst things you can do is to just do nothing while you are looking for a band. Learn new songs and hone your skills and practice hard. If you do not find anyone, do some singer songwriter type things like acoustic shows or whatever. Once you get yourself out there, people will probably come to you.

wartomods 06-27-2009 06:05 AM

there is nothing more hard than performing solo, it is though

Aus_rock_god 06-29-2009 10:33 PM

[quote=Lord Moe;17308374]Hey guys. I've been interested in singing for a band for a while now. The problem is that none of my friends play instruments (well that's not true, but the ones that do are already tied up with their own music commitments).

If you are in a band, how did you become part of it? Was it just you and your friends or did you join because they were looking for someone with your talent?[/quote]

It's all networking dude.

My advice would be to record a few things yourself, get a little demo going, and show it to your musician friends. Even if it's a crappy recording with a drum machine, anything that gives someone an idea of what direction your music is going is good.

If they dig it, they might reccomend some musicians to be in your band.You never know, some of your mates who are already tied up might even want to join if their bands end up splitting (which most bands eventually do, nothing lasts forever, unless you're Metallica).

Even if it's you and another guy, you still have every right to call it a band. That's how it all starts dude. :thumb:

My first band was just me and another guy. My second I formed with two friends at school and a revolving door of drummers.

My current band was formed after my last band split, and sort of just popped out of the ground by jamming with people I knew.

Adrienne Osborn 06-30-2009 09:26 AM

Yes it can be hard to find an opportunity through Craigslist (and it sounds especially hard for you, probably because of geographic considerations), but another thing to think about is becoming a backup singer in an established band. That can help get you out there with a band that's already gigging. They're not likely to pay you much if at all, but then again they may be psyched to add some harmonies/backups without having to split income further. Then, after you join, maybe you can work into doing one or two lead songs (but don't try to edge out the lead vox [I]too [/I]much!). Then at least you're out there meeting other musicians at gigs, which is a GREAT way to make connections to start your "real" band.

bengal 07-04-2009 05:17 PM

Hang out with musicians. Coffee shops in the artsy area of town. Ask questions, become a part of the culture and you will have plenty of opportunities I would say.

TriggerNYC 07-05-2009 07:43 PM

its ****ing hard. im an 80s guitarist clone looking to be in a like-type band in nyc where everyone wants to be hipster and chill and i want to be loud and obnoxious. its not working out.

if anyone in the nyc area cites GnR, VH, and Crue as influences and wants to get together lemme know

Aus_rock_god 07-06-2009 08:30 AM

[QUOTE=TriggerNYC;17344093]its ****ing hard. im an 80s guitarist clone looking to be in a like-type band in nyc where everyone wants to be hipster and chill and i want to be loud and obnoxious. its not working out.

if anyone in the nyc area cites GnR, VH, and Crue as influences and wants to get together lemme know[/QUOTE]

Leave the country and starve for a year.

Come to Australia or go to the UK. Everything coming out of the places at the moment is influenced by 70s and 80s music.

TriggerNYC 07-06-2009 01:40 PM

[QUOTE=Aus_rock_god;17345026]Leave the country and starve for a year.

[/QUOTE]

lol howd u know i was too fat to play in a glam band?

Monstar1790 07-07-2009 08:06 AM

My band evolved out of chance and "friend of a friend" connections. As we lost founding members, the existing ones brought in their friends until the band became almost a completely different entity (for the better).

Aus_rock_god 07-10-2009 01:59 AM

[QUOTE=TriggerNYC;17345423]lol howd u know i was too fat to play in a glam band?[/QUOTE]

... *slap*

:lol:

robertsona 07-10-2009 03:23 PM

i didn't read the other posts because i was too lazy (rofl) but really you can probably find people either at school or work (dont know what age you are; whatever). find some somewhat 'music' 'based' place in your town, maybe even some kinda rec center where people hang out

if you find people theree just see if they have interests musically similar to yours

ask your friends if they know people who play *instrument*, you'd be surprised what you can find

and yeah if all else fails just semi-learn a bunch of instruments, all the ones you think you'll need, and make your own recordings, or perhaps try emulating the instruments you need on a synth or computer

macm1 01-20-2011 01:59 AM

glam 80s band

hi dude my name is jerome, i'm 22, i'm an 80s kinda guitarist, good level ^^.
I live in france and i wanna make an 80s glam band too but it's extremely hard for me either to find musicians. Well i'd like to go as far as possible in that project and i'd like to find english or american musicians for the band, with long hair if possible, think it would be cool. i have the same influences than you, plus scorpions, iron maiden...well let me know if you feel interseted. ^^ Cheers

exredhouseresident 01-23-2011 11:49 PM

[QUOTE=Ed Jalowiecki;17320743]If you can't find a band, be your own band. You're a singer, and I assume you play guitar as well. You should play open mics or just do solo gigs until you find the band you want.

I found the band I'm in now through classified ads in a local paper. I've played in bands with friends in the past. I think the more you meet and network with other musicians, and get out there yourself performing any way you can, you'll come across people you'll connect with musically, personally & professionally.[/QUOTE]
This is pretty inspiring. I'm considering doing the open mic thing, but I can't otherwise figure out how to get shows. Anyone got any tips? I'd hope to meet people that don't think I suck, but the folk I play is so dissonant and odd, by most people's standards.

wartomods 01-29-2011 11:07 AM

no pain no game, it doesnt matter how good you are , you are gonna be laughed at in stage some time, it happens to the best

exredhouseresident 01-29-2011 07:16 PM

Great point.