Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drums & Percussion (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   setting up and tearing down (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616852)

NUTHA JASON 10-02-2012 01:43 PM

setting up and tearing down

here is a video of me setting up and tearing down at this week's gig. i decided to film myself doing this with a voice over offering any advice i could think of after all these years of experience.
was quite fun editing it.
anyway have a look. what do you think?
[url]http://youtu.be/YAnwwWcK5xY[/url]

j

Vinnie's Ice Cream 10-02-2012 02:24 PM

Interesting! Would be cool to see more behind the scenes stuff from more people. I like your style man!

Almost nothing on my kit gets broken down really. The rack is just separated into the 2 horizontal portions and the legs. Everything is left on the rack. Except the cymbals.

Every bit of hardware is taped and marked for it's positions, my rug has every thing that touches it marked out. A 6 year old could probably put my kit together it's so labeled.

The order goes:

Rug -> Rack -> Drums -> Cymbals-> Done. Estimated time from truck to playing is sub 10 minutes.

Everything stays the same, it makes for super easy load in/out. Many years though, many years to refine the process!

NUTHA JASON 10-02-2012 02:45 PM

lol ... i know that process. i wish i could have made my life easier years ago - but then again, ii've enjoyed experimenting. in a few years time i bet my process will be a little different still (but i must say it hasn't changed much in the last 5 years)

if it aint broke i don't fix - much.

Vinnie's Ice Cream 10-02-2012 03:12 PM

Totally right! I really dig how you used that conga bag, I'm going to definitely steal that idea!

There is the other option of course... just pay someone to do it all hahaha

NUTHA JASON 10-02-2012 03:20 PM

nah. i'm afraid all i can afford is to pay with peanuts - and we all know what that gets you. i aint lettin no monkey cretin pack my gear.
j

Vinnie's Ice Cream 10-02-2012 04:39 PM

True that. It is the rare and super awesome privilege when I get a dedicated tech.

My bands almost to the point where we can afford roadies, almost.

Aaron 10-03-2012 06:17 AM

I've got a keyboard bag, which I use for hardware. It's 65" long and will easily fit 4 booms, snare stand, and hi-hat stand. Means apart from drum cases, cymbal vault and my little Pearl suitcase my double-kick came in, I don't have loose ends.

Pearl2004 10-03-2012 05:47 PM

I love the pearl suitcase, I use it for microphones and other various gear now

NUTHA JASON 10-04-2012 12:42 AM

i have the same one - i use it for a single pedal and my cowbell

Aaron 10-04-2012 04:50 AM

They're awesome.

Steffanwolf 10-04-2012 02:15 PM

Yup, pedal, moongels, metronome, extra keys, extra hihat clutch, tamb or cowbell, screwdriver, allen keys... I keep so much shit in that little case, it's awesome.

Vinnie's Ice Cream 10-04-2012 03:17 PM

I don't carry any of that inside gigs. I have 2 drum keys that stay with the drumset always, 1 is velcro and there are several matching velrco spots around the kit. The other is on a lanyard and hangs from any available hangy place haha

However I do keep a small case in my truck that has all that emergency stuff, an extra pedal, some beaters, couple pairs of sticks, tension rods, keys, washers, felts, etc...

Pretty rare I have to ever go to it, and since the truck is always at a gig, it's easier then remembering if I remember my drummer emergency kit!

By the way folks, Halloween is just about here. Stock up on your "moon gel" rubber static sticky stuff for a fraction of the cost! All those window static cleans are the exact same material...

Steffanwolf 10-04-2012 04:26 PM

I wouldn't keep that stuff in there if I had a truck with a toolbox either, but I don't, and with the internal pocket I don't find it gets cluttered. It's come in handy a couple of times, though more often with other drummers gear when I'm not back lining. I keep my stuff pretty well maintained, I didn't realize how bad some people are at taking care of their shit until I started gigging regularly.

Good call on the Velcro, I have a keychain key holder and one tied to my stick bag and probably 3 or 4 that float around in various cases and pockets. At the bar my band played at the most I had a key tucked in a little gap between two bricks next to where I'd sit. It's probably still there!

Vinnie's Ice Cream 10-04-2012 04:35 PM

Ah no not like a toolbox on a truck. Just a plastic case that I threw everything in and keep behind the seats!

Pearl2004 10-04-2012 10:17 PM

Always gotta pack the emergency kit haha,

Vinnie's Ice Cream 10-04-2012 11:29 PM

It's right next to the holstered H&K .40 USP.... for you know, emergencies.

bobby__johnny 10-05-2012 01:17 PM

Nice gun. Pricey :(

Vinnie's Ice Cream 10-05-2012 01:45 PM

MMmmmm but sexy though ain't it?

Pearl2004 10-06-2012 12:06 AM

I'm more into rocket launchers, eff y'all

bobby__johnny 10-06-2012 05:05 AM

[QUOTE=Vinnie's Ice Cream;18954364]MMmmmm but sexy though ain't it?[/QUOTE]

hells yes. But glock. Love em or hate em, they just work.

Vinnie's Ice Cream 10-06-2012 08:17 AM

[QUOTE=bobby__johnny;18954455]hells yes. But glock. Love em or hate em, they just work.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes! I've fixed and seen plenty of broken glocks in my day. The average shooter may not see any issues, but active shooters will wear the guns out, parts break, internal components are cheap and wear out, etc

Cops I know upgrade to beefier firearms once they can afford too. Glock is standard issue, but that's because they are dirt cheap and very light.

Here's a quick break down of some of the reasons why H&K is so badass though:

I can field strip and re-assemble my H&K's in sub 10 seconds.
It can be submerged in water and dropped in the dirt without issue.
It has a 1 million round warranty on the entire weapon and all components.
There are 10 different trigger system I can swap on the gun with incredible ease.
The mag release is ambidextrous and shielded.
The internal components can be switched around to make it right hand or left hand shooting.
From inside the gun I can change the firing mode selection. It currently is set to SA/DA w/ Safe in SA.
I can carry in Single Action and Safe, in addition to the de-cocking function.
It looks like RoboCops gun!

But perhaps the best of all, when you pull out your H&K people go "Oooooh nice!"

Pearl2004 10-06-2012 11:03 AM

Except the guy you're pulling it on!