Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Ska (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185472)

RIPJoeStrummer 05-29-2004 10:04 AM

I love ska but I never really got into many bands and I'm kicking myself for it. Great list, I need to check out a bunch of those.

I'll add one.

Mad Bomber Society ([url=http://www.madbombersociety.com]Link[/url]) - They're an awesome Canadian band. I saw them last summer at this crappy all ages show they played for free and they were amazing. One of the best live bands I've ever seen. If you can check them out, I advise you do.

Ganondorf 05-29-2004 10:27 AM

[QUOTE=Kithkin]I think when Mx updated vbullitain it screwed with the links...

I'll fix it.

[url]http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71269[/url]

Also, I will add:

Howards Alias
The Porkers
Farse
King Django
Skaos
Selecter

and start fleshing out the Second and First wave band information and adding information for some of the bands in that end list.

Eventually...[/QUOTE]

Farse have broken up, by the way :p

Kithkin 05-29-2004 01:06 PM

[QUOTE=the-UK-ska-scene]need more. there's a couple there i didn't know before, but still definitely need more.[/QUOTE]

Well yeah:p I didn't really intend to inform you or Swedeboy

Kithkin 05-29-2004 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=guitar, bass, sax]Ehh, when you say their band, you mean... Ferrealz? I had no idea.[/QUOTE]

Heh, no. But they both loved the band

the-UK-ska-scene 05-29-2004 05:28 PM

[QUOTE=Kithkin]Well yeah:p I didn't really intend to inform you or Swedeboy[/QUOTE]

:upset:

i no longer feel special

Kithkin 05-29-2004 07:37 PM

:) I meant that as a compliment

pedro durruti 05-29-2004 08:09 PM

Kithkin, add General Rudie to the list, they're a really good third wave band (two-tone sound) and download these songs from [url]http://www.skapages.com/generalrudie/sounds.html[/url] but make sure to download Empire of Crime and The Jig is up on whatever you use to download.

the-UK-ska-scene 05-30-2004 11:09 AM

[QUOTE=Kithkin]:) I meant that as a compliment[/QUOTE]

aw ok that's better. cheers man

a few more i'm sorry i don't know if they're on the list already:

Less Than Jake
Reel Big Fish

haha no i'm kidding here it is really:

MU330
The Porkers
Route 215
Les Cameleons
Splitters
The Chinkees
Lightyear
NoComply
Chemical Reaction
Rebelation
Pez Stomp
My Dad Is Big
The Know How
Shootin' Goon
Kenisia
Orangetree
Racer Ten
Citizen Fish
Lubby Nugget

ok there's a few to keep you going ;)

Kithkin 05-30-2004 03:07 PM

Well... I don't really know much about those bands (save Mu330, Chinkees and The Porkers) so if you want to write up a little thing like I did, Ill add them to the archive:)

That goes for any of you out there.

the-UK-ska-scene 05-30-2004 03:08 PM

i don't really know much about some of them, i just heard their stuff.

i will try for the ones i know (but they'll be shorter than yours)

the-UK-ska-scene 05-30-2004 03:25 PM

ok, these are taken from promo garbage write-up things as i'm un-original:

The Porkers - The Porkers story starts in 1985, in the East coast Australian city of Newcastle, 2 rude boys, Pete and Sean decide in a drunken stupor, after the demise of some of their favourite Australian ska bands, that they would start a band. The fact that neither of them could play an instrument didn't seem like an obstacle, and they set out to find local musicians to back their all-singing, all-dancing show.

Lightyear - LIGHTYEAR have been kicking up a fuss for about 3 years with their 7-piece carnival of melodic up-beat ska chaos, pop tunes and the most dangerous brass section on the planet.
Not your typical ska-punk band, Lightyear inject punk, hardcore and pop influences into their songs and have rapidly become one of the most dynamic, enjoyable and unpredictable bands around.

The Lightyear live experience is a bouncing, energy driven orgy of jumping brass, diving vocalists, more than frequent nakedness, quite astonishingly stupid tattoos but underpinning all this are the infectious tunes that leaves every foot tapping.

NoComply - Hailing from Plymouth, six piece ska-core act No Comply joined the Deck Cheese roster in the summer of 2002 & released their highly acclaimed debut EP 'Your Life (Is Your Direction). One of the hardest gigging bands in the UK right now they have completed numorous tours with the likes of MU330, Lightyear, RX Bandits & Nerf Herder, which coincidentally saw the band make their first visit to mainland Europe. Their unique blend of Save Ferris crashing head on with the heavyweight riffage of the likes of Capdown, No Comply are winning new fans wherever they go & are fast growing up to be one of the most popular live acts on the domestic circuit.

Shootin' Goon - Shootin' Goon started about five years ago (around 1998). Shut away in Jimi's dark, damp bed-sit, the original three members, Paul (guitar), Jimi (bass) and St.John of Caerphilly (original singer) spent many hours drinking White
Lightening and desperately trying to sound like Operation Ivy. As this obviously wasn't happening they decided that what they really needed to set them apart was a brass section. So Paul quickly set about bullying two horn players, Ferret and Dan (A.W.O.L) to join the Goons. The final person to join up was Sam on Drums and so the original Shootin' Goon line up was completed.

In the five years since they formed, there have been various comings and goings (mainly due to dysfunctional singers and vanishing horn players), but the main core of the band has remained the same for about four years. The current line up features, Paul on guitar, his BIG bruvva Jimi on bass and Sam on drums. The Goons are well known for their very fine horn lines, this is all down to the boys with the real talent, Tom on trombone, Nick on sax, Pindero also on trombone and little Squeak on trumpet. Helping them along with his quick wits and catchy vocal lines (not to mention his sharp business sense!) is the most recent addition to the Goons....Matt Cheap, who replaced James Alexander in 2002, after he decided to ditch the punk rock lifestyle in the pursuit of the mighty dollar. They draw influences from many different quarters, from classic old reggae (Lee Perry, Eek a Mouse, Desmond Dekker, Toots) and 2-Tone ska (The Specials, Madness, Bad Manners, The Beat) to 80's metal (Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Suicidal Tendencies)as well as the more obvious influences such as, Operation Ivy, Less Than Jake, MU330, The Toasters, Rancid. What makes the Goons stand out, is that they take these influences (and many more) and blend them together to form something different to the tired old Ska/punk formula. A unique style all of their own.

Kenisia - Hi, this is the Kenisia website. A band of Ska-punk / Skate punk idiots from Bristol in the South West of England, UK.

Formed in 1996 we have been consistently gigging ever since. With influences ranging from Operation Ivy to Sepultura our musical style has evolved to today's ska/punk outbursts which so far have been warmly received by the paying punter.

Citizen Fish - For a decade Citizen Fish has been touring the world: turning gatherings, benefits, and social gigs into an international never-ending weekend. These four dudes from the UK, Dick (vocals, motormouth, idealist, one set of clothes for each tour), Phil (guitar, facial hair, soccer, model for BEAR magazine), Jasper (bass, sweaters, cigarettes, ladies man) and Trotsky (drums, proprietor of a successful worm farm, possibly the only member of the band who can drive a van or bench his weight) have created a blend of punk, ska, and straight up rock'n'roll that appeals to the sing-a-long music fans and even the "muso" musician types that typically dismiss punks as not being able to play their instruments. But it's not so much the fact that these dudes are the most talented musicians in England, it's what they say and how they say it. In a fun loving, all inclusive way, Citizen Fish (and their previous outfits Culture Shock and the legendary Subhumans) have brought working class radical politics to generations of questioning minds. Leaving aside the typical screaming rants of boring political punk bands, the Fish offer a hopeful, danceable alternative.

Lubby Nugget - This is the closest you could ‘label’ this music. Other things that come to mind are the generic ska punk words but this band has chosen a route adapted from this which has given them a fresh sound, at times soft enough to make you want to dance all night, but then just as you think you are safe a song heavy and epic enough comes from nowhere to put you in the pit without a second thought. Along with this the good old ska punk tracks are mixed in, making this band one of the most original on the circuit. Referred to as the British Slackers this band want to teach the world to dance!

SillyPuddyonIce 05-30-2004 05:20 PM

Great list Kithkin. Mind if I post this on a ska forum I belong to?

Kithkin 05-30-2004 06:16 PM

nope, go ahead

Kithkin 05-30-2004 07:11 PM

Alright, my host fell through so I'm working on another one. Its the same host I used for the first few I had uploaded so I shouldn't have any problems:).

the-UK-ska-scene 05-31-2004 05:57 PM

badabump

:cool:

Kithkin 05-31-2004 07:51 PM

Fairly large update:)

I found a few more label websites with direct link mp3s too so 40 or so extra mp3s.

pedro durruti 06-01-2004 04:50 PM

What kind of ska is The Clash exactly?

itscooltohate666 06-01-2004 09:10 PM

i'm new to ska and so far i'm into marley, sublime and mustard plug. if anyone could recommend specifically like 5-10 bands that i should definately start out with, and maybe some good albums to look for that would be great.

thanks in advance

Kithkin 06-02-2004 12:41 AM

[QUOTE=ihatecelebrities]What kind of ska is The Clash exactly?[/QUOTE]

They aren't. But they take a heavy influence from reggae in some songs. I'm not the biggest Clash listner though. The Clash are just the Clash...

Specifically, 5-10 bands based on the bands you already like. I'll give you 2-3 for each one.

Bob Marley:

The Skatalites - First recorded ska band. Lots of instrumentals but also great lyrics when they have them. Songs of humor like If You Wanna Be Happy for the Rest of Your Life and generally just a fun band. Still tours occasionally to this date. Early Wailers sound a lot like these guys. For cds pick up Foundation Ska.

The Slackers - A newer band with a more traditional sound. Wasted Days and Redlight are great albums but there are a lot of songs linked on the first page of this thread from various albums. Download those and go from there if you like, which my guess is you will.

Sublime:

Catch 22 - Their newer stuff definatly is more influenced by sublime. Their old stuff off of Keasby Nights more or less set the standard for Ska Punk but their new stuff isn't bad at all.

Fishbone - Much like Sublime this band covers a lot of styles and is led by a guy with an amazing voice. You'll be sure to like at least something these guys do.

The Forces of Evil - More like the quick poppy ska of Date Rape than the slower stuff of Pawn Shop. But again, an amazing voice leads a fun band. The songs are all catchy and upbeat.

Mustard Plug:

The Planet Smashers, [Spunge], Area 7, Dancehall Crashers, Save Ferris, Reel Big Fish.

You can pretty much pick any of those bands. Fun bands but not really big on song variety.

pedro durruti 06-03-2004 05:33 PM

I sent my friend some Skatalites songs and he says they are really awesome, and this is coming from someone who has never listened to ska before. He wants to know some bands like them but I don't really know any because that is like one of the few trad bands I listen to.

itscooltohate666 06-06-2004 11:51 AM

thanks kithkin, i'll definately check some of that out.

SONICDEATHMUNKY6 06-06-2004 02:14 PM

SUBURBAN LEGENDS ARE AWESOME! i saw them live when they were headlining a local show and they gave an amazing performance. it was all choreographed. one of the trumpet players did a backflip and caught his trumpet that one of his fellow bands threw to him in mid air. there music is solid. there cd is awesome u should pick it up, its called Rump Shaker. ska on.

Jas2 06-06-2004 03:34 PM

[QUOTE=SONICDEATHMUNKY6]SUBURBAN LEGENDS ARE AWESOME! i saw them live when they were headlining a local show and they gave an amazing performance. it was all choreographed. one of the trumpet players did a backflip and caught his trumpet that one of his fellow bands threw to him in mid air. there music is solid. there cd is awesome u should pick it up, its called Rump Shaker. ska on.[/QUOTE]

I love you :cool: but I hate you for seeing them... I gotta wait 'til autumn.

Suburban Legends are my favourite band.

Rump Shaker is good, but their EP is better. And The Origin Edition. Man they rock hard.

Kithkin 06-07-2004 02:41 AM

SL put on an amazing show. They played my college opening for Reel Big Fish and they were asked back that saturday to play a huge festival at the college on the big lawn and had over a thousand people to preform in front of and more or less stole the show from the headliners (Bowling for Soup)

skabassounds 06-07-2004 04:23 AM

i would again llike to highlight the most amazing band, SKA-p. i preach about this band and strongly suggest songs such as Napa es, Verguenga, planeta eskoria, and mestizaje. there are many more good ones but this is the cream as i know it.

Jas2 06-07-2004 05:51 AM

[QUOTE=Kithkin]SL put on an amazing show. They played my college opening for Reel Big Fish and they were asked back that saturday to play a huge festival at the college on the big lawn and had over a thousand people to preform in front of and more or less stole the show from the headliners (Bowling for Soup)[/QUOTE]

:eek:

i really hate you. man i can't wait til autumn. i got some of their live videos and wow. i got a ticket for the london show already, but there's 12 dates so i'll probably be going to a couple more :cool: it'll be the first tour that i've been to more than 1 date on... i can't wait :cool:

but Reel Big Fish + Suburban Legends = teh secks.

Reel Big Fish/ The Forces of Evil are touring here together in the autumn apparently, after all the festivals :cool:

theburtleman 06-07-2004 07:40 AM

it seems, my frends that we have forgotten the trojans, the best british ska band ever

Johnny B. Goode 06-07-2004 11:55 PM

I know that they're old, but if you ever get your hands on any the Specials, keep it, 'cause this stuff is priceless. Whenever I listen to it I just gotta dance. Anyway's, I believe there is a website... thespecials.com.

thats enough for now.

Kithkin 06-08-2004 01:58 AM

Yeah, I have specials cd with them with desmond dekker. Great stuff.

BMZbass 06-09-2004 07:11 AM

Wow.....what can I say? What an awesome list. Alotta bands that I listen to already, and some more than I've never even heard of. But here are some that I don't recall seeing....

The Cheapskates - Rumor from my Tenor Sax player is that they broke up. What I have is very low-quality recordings of some pretty cool songs. Their horn lines seem kinda repetitive, but still pretty cool. I suggest finding a copy of "I Want To Be Canadian".

Tasty Snax - Ska-Punk at it's best. They're a Christian band, if I'm not mistaken. No horns, but the songs are very upbeat and....have.....some......upbeats...... No pun intended......

But yeah, you wanna see the website of a craptastic Ska Band from Chattanooga, Tennessee?

[URL=http://www.bmzska.cjb.net]www.bmzska.cjb.net[/URL]

Yeah, I'm out...