Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hip Hop (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   New Rap Is Equally Good To Old Rap (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617462)

Ando! 12-26-2012 10:57 PM

[QUOTE=Daily Routine;18981183]wut[/QUOTE]

he is
1.a child
2. wearing a backpack

thats why the comic uses him

also probably doesnt hurt that boyscouts are usually thought of as dorky

Trebor. 12-27-2012 01:06 AM

I mean Death Grips are pretty good but come on, modern stuff can't touch Wu-Tang or Beastie Boys or Da Tribe Called Quest ya mean

WooHa 12-27-2012 06:25 AM

Da Tribe Called Quest

Ando! 12-28-2012 02:49 PM

i think hes a gimmick account

HillaryClitTounge 01-03-2013 03:46 PM

My problem with New Rap

The problem with new rap is that it is relatively pointless and banal compared to old rap. Rap was just one of Hip Hop's elements, and Hip Hop was an Intelligent Movement, Hip meaning being spiritually and politically aware in your modern world and Hop meaning acting with that special knowledge. hip-hop (lower case and hyphon) is just the musical genre of Hip Hop (the culture or spirituality). New rap largely distorts and sells the culture for a few's personal gain. Thats my problem with new rap, it goes beyond how it sounds, which seems to be all you really care about.

In short there is a group of real people who take Hip Hop much more seriously than you do as a music genre, fad or something to be used for your own benefit (fitting in etc)

sockhead 01-04-2013 12:40 PM

I love modern hip-hop/rap more purely for production, I honestly think that's the biggest difference between old and new rap. Yeah in the last 20 years rap has drastically changed as a genre and turned into one of the most popular in the world but thats only mainstream rap, which is such a small portion of the rap actually out there. If you want lyricism you can find it, you just have dig hard enough. I usually find my favorite new rap from up and coming artists that the majority of people who listen to mainstream rap wouldn't hear in a million years because they get music from itunes, the radio, and lil wayne cosigns.

ToddDay 01-07-2013 02:55 PM

It's just different. Personally, I like the old better. Maybe I'm just a snob. But, I do love bad bitches. It's a #$%ing problem.

Exhorder 01-07-2013 05:47 PM

immortal technique and necro > all

Ando! 01-08-2013 07:12 AM

[QUOTE=HillaryClitTounge;18984251]The problem with new rap is that it is relatively pointless and banal compared to old rap. Rap was just one of Hip Hop's elements, and Hip Hop was an Intelligent Movement, Hip meaning being spiritually and politically aware in your modern world and Hop meaning acting with that special knowledge. hip-hop (lower case and hyphon) is just the musical genre of Hip Hop (the culture or spirituality). New rap largely distorts and sells the culture for a few's personal gain. Thats my problem with new rap, it goes beyond how it sounds, which seems to be all you really care about.

In short there is a group of real people who take Hip Hop much more seriously than you do as a music genre, fad or something to be used for your own benefit (fitting in etc)[/QUOTE]

guys ive found the whitest white dude

EaglesBecomeVultures 01-09-2013 02:00 PM

lmao

HillaryClitTounge 02-20-2013 01:43 AM

trash from pittsburgh

yeah i'm white and have above a 12th grade vocabulary which scares ignorant racist trash from pittsburgh lol

jcfiasco 02-20-2013 05:01 PM

This has been a pretty interesting thing to read all in all.. I think the reason more people prefer old stuff is that by and large it was more original. The genre was new and because of that everything was original. Also new stuff gets a bad rap (see what I did there?) because there was that dark point in the early 2000's where there wasn't much good stuff. However this new movement of young dudes that don't need a huge label deal to produce good shit anymore is for sure taking over. All in all I don't think one is better than the other though, there is just so many more artists in the genre now so therefore there is bound to be waaaaay more garbage which is proved anytime the radio comes on and mac miller/nicki/lil wayne etc etc make an appearance. The vast majority of people don't want new, innovative, lyrical stuff anymore. They want Diplo beats and huge bass. So they get it. But that leaves new dope artists for people who actually love the music to find.

Word.

HillaryClitTounge 02-20-2013 06:49 PM

[quote] So they get it. But that leaves new dope artists for people who actually love the music to find.[/quote]

Its more than just the music though. People make music, and the people making it have completely changed because times have changed.

In the 70s-80s there was never money in it, so no one really considered it a career like they do now. In the late 80s, late 90s it exploded in sales, then the WWW pirating came from around 2000 on the record companies that didn't collapse made up for sales by merging and becoming giants, then trying to make up for the sales record companies had in the 90s by quickly shuffling through artists, trying each one out- tinkering with their message and sound- if they went big the companies get their publishing rights and most their money, if not they drop them instantly.

What you get today is every single mainstream artist, to some extent, making not only unoriginal music, but unauthentic music- you aren't even hearing the words or views of the artist but what their employer tells them to do or not to say. It's like an actor, they don't write the scripts anymore, they only play a roll and read their lines that the record exec says will make them money. In the best case scenario, artists go to them with about 30ish songs, and the execs pick 10 they think are good and make an image around the artist for them.

While there are still some dope underground and decent mainstream artists, the good underground music is getting ignored for a bunch of corporate bubble gum conveyer-belt bullshit. So no I don't respect new school mainstream at all.

Trebor. 02-20-2013 10:08 PM

Hip hop is dead

jcfiasco 02-21-2013 11:58 AM

[QUOTE=HillaryClitTounge;19007578
While there are still some dope underground and decent mainstream artists, the good underground music is getting ignored for a bunch of corporate bubble gum conveyer-belt bullshit. So no I don't respect new school mainstream at all.[/QUOTE]

The under ground will almost always be ignored by the masses though. That by definition makes it underground? You seem to belabouring a point that everyone pretty much subscribes to. If everyone liked it, then it would become mainstream I would assume.

Also painting all "new mainstream" music as stuff not worth respecting is kind of a broad brush? I don't really think Big KRIT and those cats qualify as completely underground anymore. Labels are dying, the underground is blowing up since the artists don't need huge budgets to make good records anymore.

Your points are valid but discounting an artist because they have a specific label of underground or mainstream seems silly to me.

jcfiasco 02-21-2013 11:59 AM

I also apparently don't understand quoting haha oh well.

HillaryClitTounge 02-21-2013 02:31 PM

[quote] discounting an artist because they have a specific label of underground or mainstream seems silly to me. [/quote]

That's not my point... The point is,in general, the best music stays underground instead of getting the respect it deserves because of a corrupt economic structure in the music industry combined with an rapidly increasing amount of people who don't know or care. It could even be more than that, it could be a way of indoctrinating US teenagers... seriously look at the different subject matter in 80s most popular and 2000's most popular rap.

Respect for women/Peace Raps-Dance Raps/Conscious raps VS fuck Hoes-bitches/ gangstarap-materialistic rap

Labels are not dying... you haven't named anyone that is actually independent that has been making solid money for a while. You seem to think just because rappers like Jay-Z started their OWN labels that is special, in reality they just take over the role of screwing whoever they sign in the next generation...

Realfanback 03-14-2013 02:17 AM

I totally disagree with you.

Ando! 03-14-2013 09:20 AM

[QUOTE=HillaryClitTounge;19007154]yeah i'm white and have above a 12th grade vocabulary which scares ignorant racist trash from pittsburgh lol[/QUOTE]

you sound mad.