Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archives (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   ***Top 100 Pop-Punk Bands - THE RESULTS !*** (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385865)

Angry Balled Fists! 08-31-2005 04:25 AM

***Top 100 Pop-Punk Bands - THE RESULTS !***

I am proud to announce that after a month of nominations, voting and vote counting i have the results for the Top 100 Pop-Punk Bands competition:

100. [B]Best Kept Secret[/B]

99. [B]Punchline[/B]
Punchline, out of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is made up of Chris Fafalios (bass/vocals), Greg Wood (guitar/vocals), PJ Caruso (drums), and Steve Soboslai (guitar/vocals). Signed to Fueled by Ramen, they released The Rewind EP in 2003. Their most recent release, Action, combined with constant touring, has really solidified Punchline as one of the more unique and gifted bands in recent memory. A lot is expected from this catchy, talented band as they continue to grow and mature musically.

[I]EmoScreamopunk[/I]

98. [B]Angry Amputees[/B]
San Francisco, CA's Angry Amputees were formed in 2001 by
vocalist/guitarist Stacey Dee, lead guitarist Gonz, bassist/vocalist
John Dalton (aka Dalty -- an actual amputee, incidentally), and
drummer Gin. Performing melodic Power-Pop in the image of
cross-the-Bay scenesters Green Day, the distinctly coed band appeared
on the Warped Tour in 2001 and 2002, and was voted "best punk band in
the Bay Area" at the SF Weekly Music Awards later that year. Teaming
up with independent Dead Teenager Records and renowned producer Jack
Endino the following year, the Angry Amputees recorded and released
their debut album, Slut Bomb.

[I]Allmusic.com[/I]

97. [B]Amber Pacific[/B]
Amber Pacific formed in 2002 in Seattle, Washington. They signed to Hopeless Records and released their debut EP, Fading Days, in 2004. The EP introduced the band to thousands of fans, and their time on the 2004 Warped Tour helped to further increase their popularity. They have since released their debut full-length entitled The Possibility and the Promise, and their unique sound and influential lyrics have won over thousands of fans across the globe.

[I]EmoScreamopunk[/I]

96. [B]Homegrown[/B]
Home Grown began in Orange County, California in 1993. They released their debut album, That’s Business, in 1995 on Liberation Records. They have since released numerous albums including their most recent EP, When It All Comes Down (Drive-Thru Records). They have produced many humorous songs, as well as a handful if emotional ballads. Their sound could be compared to that of other pop-punk acts including Mest and Lagwagon.

[I]EmoScreamopunk[/I]

95. [B]The Matches[/B]
Originally dubbed The Locals the band changed their name to The Matches and were eventually signed to prominent
pop punk label Epitaph after garnering a strong local following. By the time E. Von Dahl Killed The Locals was released
last year the band were a prominant band in the new breed of epitaph bands with the song Sick Little Suicide appearing
on the labels annual sampler cd.

[I]Excursions[/I]

94. [B]Matchbook Romance[/B]
“Fizzlewink” was Matchbook Romance’s original name before 1997 when the line up was altered to include Ryan DePaolo (guitarist) and the name changed to “The Gateway”. The “geeky” band used the internet to their advantage to gain all sorts of fans. They were discovered by Epitaph over the internet and signed a record deal. Although forced to change their name due to legal issues “The Gateway“ had to change their name to “Matchbook Romance”. This didn’t stop the band though. The line-up of Andrew Jordan (vocals/guitar), Ryan “Judas” DePaolo (guitar), Ryan Kienle (bass) and Aaron Stern (drums) was going strong when they released their Ep in 2003 “West For Wishing”. Their First full length was also released in 2003 titled “Stories And Alibis”. They’ve also released a split Ep with Motion City Soundtrack. This band wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for our beloved intraweb.

[I]Pennywiserocks[/I]

93. [B]My American Heart[/B]
My American Heart is a San Diego based band that burst on to the scene with a poppy self-titled debut effort, which was released in May 2004. Their passionate vocals and soft catchy remind many of bands such as the All-American Rejects and the Ataris. They have recently gained the attention of many record companies through continuous touring, including a stint on the world-renown Vans Warped Tour. They are set to release a new album in September which is sure to put My American Heart on the map as one of the better up-and-coming pop acts of 2005.

[I]EmoScreamopunk[/I]

92. [B]Avoid One Thing[/B]

91. [B]Captain Everything[/B]
Thank f’uck people are starting to realise the brilliance that is CE! Watford’s finest have been playing electrifyingly fast, thrashy pop punk for a good while now, touring excessively and earning hundreds of fans along the way. Writing songs about themselves has produced a band with personality few can match, especially as their lives appear to already included a large amount of love, angst, drinking and goofball humour. With a new album due out this year as well as a re-recorded re-release, expect to hear more from this incredible young band.

[I]Drop The Baby[/I]

90. [B]Pulley[/B]
Generic epitaph band Pulley have been playing fast, melodic pop punk since 1995 when Scott Radinsky, vocalist
from fellow epitaph band Ten Foot Pole left the band. He was joined by members from various bands including former
members from the likes of Strung Out and Face To Face. The band has released 6 albums in a decade through the
classic punk label, one of the cornerstone bands of the current pop punk crop.

[I]Excursions[/I]

89. [B]Vendetta Red[/B]
The rock outfit Vendetta Red formed in Seattle in 1998. The self-released their debut EP, 6 Kisses: A Blatant Reminder of Why We Are Alive, which hit the shelves in 1999. They then signed with Epic Records in 2002 and released Between the Never and Now a year later. They have spent time on the Warped Tour in recent years, and their popularity has skyrocketed. Their upcoming release, Sisters of the Red Death, is scheduled to be released on August 30th.

[I]EmoScreamopunk[/I]

88. [B]The Movielife[/B]
The Movielife broke onto the pop-punk scene in 1998 with their self-released 1998 record, It's A Go. Their hardcore punk influences mixed with their catchy pop-punk melodies worked well, and their sound got them signed to Revolution in 2000. In 2001, they signed with major label Drive-Thru, and released an EP, Has A Gambling Problem. They toured with bands like Glassjaw and New Found Glory, and in 2003, released their major debut, Forty Hour Train Back to Penn. Sadly, it was in September of that year the band called it quits, and went down in Drive-Thru history as one of their great early bands.

[I]Kif[/I]

Angry Balled Fists! 08-31-2005 04:26 AM

87. [B]A Static Lullaby[/B]
A Static Lullaby, of Chino, California, formed in 2001. They released their debut album …And Don’t Forget to Breathe, in 2003, on Ferret Records. Their powerful screams and high-energy rock songs have drawn comparisons to bands such as Thursday and Finch, and their live shows are said to be explosive. The release of their most recent album, Faso Latido, has further shown what a talented, impressive band A Static Lullaby truly is, and his further established them as one of the better pop-punk bands in the business today.

[I]EmoScreamopunk[/I]

86. [B]Osker[/B]

Osker, the young talented pop-punk trio formed in 1998 from Los Angeles, Singer/Guitarist Devon Williams was still in high school at the time of their formation. They are with Epitaph and have released a few demo’s, their debut LP in 2000, Treatment 5 and Idle will kill in 2001. They play catchy, good time pop-punk and are very enjoyable.

[I]Rancid Dan[/I]

85. [B]Relient K[/B]
Relient K are a Christian Pop-Punk band which formed in 1998 in Canton, Ohio. The name 'Relient K' was named after one of the guitarists, Matt Hoopes', 'Plymouth Reliant K' car. In the early stages of their career they wrote songs typically of pop-punk culture and high-school life, this continued for a few years until they released 'Two Lefts Don't Make A Right...But Three Do' where they were mainly writing about Christian topics and a little bit about pop-punk cultures. In 2004 they released their latest album 'mmhmm' which brought them to the front of the pop-punk scene. Their music was more mature, writing about more serious topics, using piano much more in their songs. Now they continue to move nearer to the spotlight and are growing better all the time.

[I]Firecrackercheese[/I]

84. [B]Hidden in Plain View[/B]
New Jersey natives Joe Reo (vocals), Rob Freeman (guitar), Mike Saffert (guitar), Spencer Peterson (drums), and Chris Amato (bass) formed Hidden in Plain View shortly after completing high school. They released their debut EP, Operation Cut-Throat, in 2002, before signing to Drive-Thru records in early 2003. Their most recent album, Life In Dreaming, is a catchy, high-energy release that has helped to greatly increase the constantly growing HIPV fan base. We can expect great things from this band as they continue to redefine their sound and develop new music.

[I]EmoScreamopunk[/I]

83. [B]Silverstein[/B]
Silverstein, consisting of Neil Boshart (guitar), Bill Hamilton (bass), Shane Told (vocals), Paul Koehler (drums), and Josh Bradford (guitar), formed in Burlington, Ontario in 2000. Shortly after, they released two EPs before signing to Victory Records. They have since released two albums, including their most recent, Discovering the Waterfront. Silverstein has combined powerful, emotionally charged lyrics with the occasional scream to lure fans from all over the world. They were recently named one of AP’s “100 Bands You Need To Know”, and their popularity continues to rise.

[I]EmoScreamopunk[/I]

82. [B]ALL[/B]
ALL were formed after The Descendents’ lead songer left to go to college after their first album, so the rest of the band teamed up with former Dag Nasty front man Dave Smalley to be the vocalist to start a new band. Their first album was released in 1988, before Smalley was replaced with Scott Reynolds. Tey have released 4 albuyms altogether and have had the same line up since Reynolds joined, in 1996 all the previous Descendents members and Alvarez and Egerton re-formed the Descendents, who made a new album.

[I]Rancid Dan[/I]

81. [B]Jawbreaker[/B]

Coming from the west coast, Jawbreaker were a group of three talented pop-punkers, who used amazing lyrics and musicianship to really shine out above the crowd. The group has split up unfortunately and the last record they put out was a collection of b-sides and demos in 2002, called etc.

[I]Rancid Dan[/I]

80. [B]Boys Night Out[/B]
Boys Night Out formed in 2001 in Burlington, Ontario Canada. They are a darker pop-punk band laced with screaming vocals and the occasional breakdown. They have toured with bands like, Coheed and Cambria, Senses Fail, Thursday, Saosin, and Atreyu. There first major release (Make Yourself Sick) was off the Ferret label, and their most recent release (Trainwreck) just came out. Boys Night Out have worked their way up the ladder and have people listening to them all over the states.

[I]Depthsofdreams555[/I]

79. [B]Something Corporate[/B]
Touted as 'piano rock', Something Corporate brought something different to the scene with their debut EP 'Audio Boxer'. Whilst this did not make any major splashes on the pop-punk scene, it impressed someone at Drive-Thru Records enough to give them a full album.
'Leaving Through The Window' was the result, and it's catchy pop-punk melodies coupled with the odd piano ballad scored a major hit with pop-punk fans who were looking for something other than three-chord, two-minute wonders. This was followed up with 'North', where the band attempted to mature their sound, with more emphasis on the ballads than the pop-punk. Opinion was heavily divided between the fans, and many await a third album, which is likely to be some time coming, whilst singer Andrew McMahon battles leukaemia.

[I]Jason 101[/I]

Angry Balled Fists! 08-31-2005 04:26 AM

78. [B]Strung Out[/B]
SoCal's Strung Out formed in 1992, and shortly found their early break
signing with NOFX bassist Fat Mike's Fat Wreck Chords label in 1993.
Their debut album, Another Day in Paradise, was released the following
year. The band took an artistic leap forward with their follow-up
album Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues in 1996, which began to build
their loyal following among fans of newer Pop-Punk. 1998 saw the
release of the Crossroads and Illusions EP and the full-length Twisted
by Design, a more progressive work in which Strung Out began to mix
elements of Heavy Metal into their instrumental waves of attack. In
addition, Fat Wreck Chords also issued a set of previously unreleased
Strung Out material titled The Skinny Years...Before We Got Fat. The
band returned in 2000 with the EP The Element of Sonic Defiance. In
2002 American Paradox was released and 2004 saw Exile in Oblivion on
record stores' shelves. The latter two albums are considered the
band's best efforts and show the band has the potential to go a long
way yet.

[I]ZeppelinFan2k3[/I]

77. [B]Simple Plan[/B]
Simple Plan is a power-pop band out of Montreal, Canada. Made up of Pierre Bouvier (vocals), Jeff Stinco (guitar), David Desrosiers (bass), Sebastien Lefebvre (guitar), and Chuck Comeau (drums), Simple Plan started to get big when they made their first appearance on the Vans Warped Tour in 2001. Their debut album No Pad, No Helmets...Just Balls was released in 2003 on Lava Records, and was an instant success. They are best known for their MTV friendly singles including “Perfect”, “Addicted”, “Welcome to My Life”, and “Shut Up”, and are often compared to bands such as Good Charlotte and Bowling For Soup. Their popularity continues to rise, and there appears to be no end in sight.

[I]EmoScreamopunk[/I]

76. [B]Anberlin[/B]
Anberlin are an upbeat pop-punk band out of Orlando, Florida. The band released their first album, Blueprints for the Black Market, in 2003 on Tooth & Nail records. They released the follow-up, Never Take Friendship Personal, two years later. Anberlin has become very popular over the past few years by offering a unique sound not often found in pop-punk. They have caught the attention of thousands of music lovers by combining powerful vocals and unusual melodies to create talented, catchy songs such as “Ready Fuels” and “Foreign Language”.

[I]EmoScreamopunk[/I]

75. [B]The Spill Canvas[/B]
The Spill Canvas was started by lead singer Nick Thomas of Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The band is signed to One Eleven records, and released their debut album Sunsets and Car Crashes in 2003. One Fell Swoop, the band’s second release, has helped the band to become even more popular. The Spill Canvas is known for emotional acoustic ballads similar to those of bands such as Something Corporate and Mae. As the band continues to improve, they are guaranteed to find more and more success in the diverse realm of pop-punk.

[I]EmoScreamopunk[/I]

74. [B]Emanuel[/B]
Emanuel formed in Louisville, Kentucky in 1998. They released their debut album, Soundtrack To a Headrush, in March 2005 on Vagrant Records. The band offers a gritty, aggressive sound that could be compared to that of bands such as Funeral For A Friend and A Static Lullaby. This is clearly shown in songs such as “The Hey Man”, which is described by Vagrant Records as “a sonic "**** you" to self-righteous hipster types around the world”. As the band continues to grow and mature, you can be sure that their popularity will sky-rocket.

[I]EmoScreamopunk[/I]

73. [B]Emery[/B]
Toby Morrell (lead vocals, guitar), Matt Carter (guitar, keyboards, background vocals), Joel Green (bass), Devin Shelton (guitar, background vocals), Josh Head (keyboards), and Seth Studley (drums) started the band Emery in South Carolina, shortly after finishing college in 2001. They have provided music lovers with a slick blend of enjoyable vocals and deafening screams ever since, beginning with their debut album The Weak’s End. Emery is currently signed to Tooth & Nail records, and just released their new album, The Question, on August 2nd.

[I]EmoScreamopunk[/I]

72. [B]Lightyear[/B]
Lightyear are one of the great english bands to have risen in 2000. They use their ska, hardcore, and punk influences in their pop punk music and altogether it makes them one of the most energetic and interesting bands of the genre. To back up their two very good albums they also had a great live show. It'sa shame they had to break up so shortly after forming(2003)

[I]Skatemasterbater[/I]

71. [B]The Academy Is…[/B]
The Academy Is... was formed in 2002 in Chicago by William Beckett and
Michael Carden after both of their previous bands broke up. The band
was originally known as The Academy, and they released a self-titled
EP in 2004 on tiny LLR Records under this name. After the name change
(to avoid confusion with another band by the same name), the group
signed to Fueled By Ramen Records, which released their debut
full-length, Almost Here in early 2005.

[I]ZeppelinFan2k3[/I]

70. [B]YellowCard[/B]
Yellowcard formed in Jacksonville, FL, in 1997 but didn't solidify
their current lineup until a move to Southern California in early
2000. The band officially debuted on Wax in 2001 with One for the Kids
(Lobster) EP, and returned a year later with the Underdog EP for
Fueled by Ramen. 2003 was the breakout year for the group: they signed
with Capitol, issued Ocean Avenue on that label, and headed out for a
series of Warped Tour dates. Ino the next year Yellowcard gigged with
the likes of Matchbook Romance and Less Than Jake. In late March 2004,
Ocean Avenue was certified gold by the RIAA as the album's title track
and numerous other singles continued to be shown on MTV and played on
Top 40 radio.

[I]ZeppelinFan2k3[/I]

Angry Balled Fists! 08-31-2005 04:27 AM

69. [B]Scary Kids Scaring Kids[/B]
Scary Kids Scaring Kids is a catchy, unique-sounding pop-punk band out of Arizona. Made up of Tyson (vocals, bass), Chad (guitar, backing vocals), Steve (guitar), DJ (guitar), Pouyan (keyboard), and Peter (drums), Scary Kids has begun to draw attention of people both nationally and internationally. Their combination of talented musicians, ear-splitting screams, and raw aggression is unmatched by anyone in the industry today. Their most recent release, The City Sleeps in Flames (Immortal Records) is enough to pump up even the most calm, laid-back individuals.

[I]EmoScreamopunk[/I]

68. [B]The Living End[/B]
When their 1998 Self titled debut came out, no one in Australia could really tell you what the Living End's real sound was. Stray Cats gone punk? AC/DC meets Elvis? What they could tell you, was that almost each and every one of them loved the disc and it propelled this modernized rockabilly band to superstardom overnight. After almost continuous global touring, an avoidance of the sophomore jinx with their second Album "Roll On", right when these Aussies were about to go into studio Singer/Guitarist extraordinaire Chris Cheney got in a near fatal car accident. Long story short, their third album (and what they think is their best)was eventually recorded with a new drummer. If you enjoy any musical genre that's name ends in "billy" these guys are for you.

[I]Sivermedalmafia[/I]

67. [B]Senses Fail[/B]
Senses Fail is a New Jersey based pop-punk rock group, formed in February of 2002. They follow in the steps of many New Jersey bands such as Thursday, and Saves the Day. Senses Fail’s lyrics are very hard, and driven by many spiritual beliefs. Lead singer Buddy Nielsen believes in the Hinduism belief that living is hell. They believe that to reach a state of nothingness (Nirvana) you have to have all your Senses Fail. The group has two releases so far, From the Depths of Dreams EP, and Let It Enfold You.

[I]Depthsofdreams555[/I]

66. [B]Reggie and the full effect[/B]
Much mystery surrounded Reggie And The Full Effect in 2000 when he broke onto the scene with the Vagrant-released Promotional Copy. Providing many laughs and a range of music from hardcore riffs to pumping dance tunes, it was hard to get into. In 2003, they released Under The Tray, another collection of fueled pop melodies and joke songs. The band saw guest appearances from Fluxuation, Common Denominator, Hungry Bear and Drunk Girl. But in 2005, the covers came off. James Dewees (Get Up Kids) came out and confirmed everything was by him. His 2005 record, Songs Not To Get Married To, was a much more serious look at his life and music, although there are still 1 or 2 "guest appearances". Nevertheless, Reggie has always been a hit with the pop-punk scene because his music is accessable and fun to listen to, yet sometimes shows a darker side to James.

[I]Kif[/I]

65. [B]Allister[/B]
Allister is a pop-punk band from Chicago, Illinois. They played their first shows under the name Phineas Gage, but soon changed their name to Allister. They released their first full-length album, Dead Ends and Girlfriends, on MCA Records in 1999. Allister is best known for their catchy, upbeat style, which can best be seen on hit songs such as “Somewhere on Fullerton” and “Overrated”. They also gained recognition by covering “I Want It That Way” by once popular boy-band, the Backstreet Boys.

[I]EmoScreamopunk[/I]

64. [B]The Early November[/B]
The Early November are a group of four that hail from Northern New Jersey. They play a great combonation of catchy pop-punk and innovative and introspective indie rock, which helps them stand out on their label, Drive-Thru Records. Their use of vintage instruments and time signatures that are uncommon to most pop-punk acts and vocals that are honest and represent the everyman give them a sound that is unique and special.

[I]CommieCanada[/I]

63. [B]Story of The Year[/B]
Story of the Year is a high-energy pop-punk band out of St. Louis, Missouri. They formed in the late 90’s as a much heavier band known as Big Blue Monkey. They became known as Story of the Year in 2002 and recorded their first album, Page Avenue, in the spring of 2003. They have often been compared to bands such as the Used and Thrice because of their hard-hitting songs, and powerful emotional lyrics. They are signed to Maverick Records and plan to release a new album titled In The Wake Of Determination, on October 11th.

[I]EmoScreamopunk[/I]

62. [B]The Undertones[/B]
Well, I dunno where to start with this awesome 70’s pop-punk band ? They formed in 1976, hailing from Derry, Northern Ireland. They released their first EP in September 1978, The Teenage Kicks EP. Britain’s top DJ at the time, John Peel was captivated by it and it got some airplay. They released their first album in 1979, and they were becoming really successful, and they even supported The Clash on their American tour.
They switched to EMI in 1981, and they showed a different side and it was a much more ambitious album
They got into the UK top 50 with some songs, but this was to start the beginning of the end for the band.
In 1983 they ent even more ambitious with The Sin Of Pride and featured 60’s soul and psychedelia, but it’s singles didn’t fare will and the album’s best performance in the charts was #46, they split in the summer of ’83. In 1999 they played two hometown gigs and recruited Paul McLoone. They have released lots of re-issues and a documentary since. Real legends.

[I]Rancid Dan[/I]

Angry Balled Fists! 08-31-2005 04:28 AM

61. [B]Tsunami Bomb[/B]
Bay Area's Tsunami Bomb was formed around 1999 by bassist Dominic
Davi, who later recruited the rest of the band. Tsunami Bomb set about
garnering popularity the old fashioned way, with tour after tour
across America. Tsunami Bomb was boosted by the success of early 7"
releases on the Checkmate label, as well as a solid fan base built
across the country through the band's constant touring. Impressed with
their tenacity, Indie label Kung Fu Records signed them in 2002, and
their first full-length, The Ultimate Escape, was released later that
year. Tsunami Bomb headed out on the road once again in spring 2003,
this time as part of the Warped Tour. In 2004 their second
full-length, The Defnitive Act, was released to the same glowing
reviews their first album received.

[I]ZeppelinFan2k3[/I]

60. [B]The Ataris[/B]
The Ataris were founded in 1997 when Vandal’s member, Joe Escalante, was impressed by Kris Roe’s demo tapes. Kris quickly found band members and The Ataris recorded their first album, Anywhere But Here. The Ataris’ first 3 albums were mainly made up of fast pop-punk songs about girls, teenage riots, robbing quickie marts, etc. On their latest album, So Long Astoria, they for a more mature sound, like many other pop-punk bands at the time. Many fans were disappointed with the album because it lacked some of the fast more punk songs on their other records. On the other hand, the album introduced many to The Ataris because of the hits, In this Diary? and their cover of Don Henley’s Boys of Summer.? The Ataris upcoming album, Welcome The Night, is A soundtrack for rainy mornings with the greyest of skies, according to Kris.

[I]BringHomeTheBacon[/I]

59. [B]Unwritten Law[/B]
Unwritten law formed in the early 1990’s, coming from South California, they have moved labels on a number of occasions, now with Lava Records, which they joined in 2002. They are a pop-punk band with harder and softer parts at times, they are a very unique band, and are a must to check out. They’ve had a number of line-up changes, but they are still going strong, with their latest album, Here’s to the Mourning which was released in Feb ’05.

[I]Rancid Dan[/I]

58. [B]The Get Up Kids[/B]
This band has been around for quite a while. Forming in 1995, the band is Matthew Pryor (Guitar/Vocals), Jim Suptic (Guitar/Vocals), Robert Pope (Bass), James Dewees (Keyboard) and Ryan Pope (Drums).The band started to make their mark in 1996 when they released a bunch of singles on multiple record labels. Sticking with Doghouse Records they released their first full length album in 1997 titled “Four Minute Mile”.
1998 was a year of touring for the band, as well as releasing some more singles which appeared on their 1999 disc “Something To Write Home About”. The band then took a two year break from touring and recording, coming back into the scene in 2001 and touring with famous bands like Weezer and Green Day. They also re-released some of their old music this year to hold fans over until their 2002 album “On A Wire”. In 2004 The Get Up Kids released their fifth and final album “Guilt Show”. Sadly the band has come to and end now, they disbanded in early 2005, leaving a small, yet noticeable, mark in the Pop-punk world.

[I]Pennywiserocks[/I]

57. [B]Rufio[/B]
Formed in Rancho Cucamonga, CA, Rufio is a more modern version of some
of the Pop-Punk bands that have began to fade from their hey-day such
as Blink 182 and Sum 41. Rufio issued their debut recording, Perhaps,
I Suppose, in 2001 on the Revelation Records label. The band returned
in 2003 with MCMLXXXV (1985) (released on the Nitro label), which was
recorded with the aid of producer Nick Rasculinecz, known for his work
with the Foo Fighters and Rancid. Rufio further upped their profile
with a series of Warped Tour dates that summer and are releasing a new
album, The Comfort of Home, this year.

[I]ZeppelinFan2k3[/I]

56. [B]Saves The Day[/B]
Saves the day is an energetic pop-punk band out of New Jersey. Their unique sound has gained them respect in both the pop-punk and hardcore communities. The band made their debut in 1997 with the release of Can’t Slow Down. They later signed with Vagrant Records, and released their third record, Stay What You Are, in 2001. Their fan base reached an all-time high as a result of this catchy 2001 release and record sales soared. Each of their records offers a mix of high-energy electric songs and slow, mellow acoustic songs. This incredibly talented mix of sounds has helped endear them to music lovers throughout the world.

[I]EmoScreamopunk[/I]

55. [B]Me First And The Gimme Gimmes[/B]
All-star cover band featuring members from such high-profile acts as Foo
Fighters (Chris Shiflett), NOFX (Fat Mike), Swinging Utters (Spike Slawson)
and Lagwagon (Joey Cape and Dave Raun) - teaching kids to appreciated the
classics since 1996. As Johnny is sure to tell you - if you haven't had Me
First playing at your Bar Mitzvah, you're a nobody. Unless of course you
return your gifts and spend the money on timeless singles like "Elton",
"Diamond" and "Barry".

[I]Fat Pete[/I]

54. [B]Dillinger Four[/B]

Formed in 1994, Dillinger Four had a lot of line up changes and only released their first full length in 1998. In the first 4 years of the bands existence, they released an EP, a split single and some compilation appearances. They have toured with Green Day in Japan and are really starting to make a name for themselves. Their most recent release was Situationist Comedy in 2002 for Fat Wreck Chords, Fat Mike from NoFx’s record label.

[I]Rancid Dan [/I]

Angry Balled Fists! 08-31-2005 04:29 AM

53. [B]Sugarcult[/B]
Sugarcult are a pop-punk band out of Santa Barbara, California. They formed in the late 1990’s and their first hit album, Start Static, was released in 2001. They are best known for their catchy, radio-friendly hits such as “Pretty Girl”, “Bouncing Off The Walls”, and “Memory”, and have often been compared to bands such as blink-182 and Green Day. They have toured with many internationally known artists, and their popularity continues to soar.

[I]EmoScreamopunk[/I]

52. [B]Funeral For A Friend[/B]
The Welsh foursome have recently become popular with they're strange mix of Metal, Emo and Pop-Punk. Appearing in 2002 with their first EP's 4 Ways to Scream your Name and Between Order and a Model, the band soon began to achieve relative fame in the UK, outside of the Welsh vallies that had spawned them. Their compilation of EP's entitled 7 Ways to Scream Your Name ended up getting the band landed on the front cover of alternative music magazine Kerrang! and led them to start work on their first full length album Casually Dressed and Deep in Conversation. It was given a UK release in October 2003. As the Album wasn't released in the US immediatly, the band's publicity was narrowed to the UK only. They eventually managed to boost their exposure by opening for Iron Maiden on a European tour. Following this, the band recorded a DVD of their own tour, which even took them to America (The DVD is called Spilling Blood in 8mm). In 2005, the band re-emerged with their 2nd full length album entitled hours. The single Streetcar did relativley well, and the album rose into the UK top 40, earning the band a stint on Top of the Pop's. It seems the bands style of melodic sounding metal inspired music has started to take the world's attention, with the unique Duel vocals of Lead Singer Matt Davies and the Agressive screaming vocals from Drummer Randy Richards, Awesome metal inspired guitar riffs from Guitarists Kris Roberts and Darren Smith and pounding root note basslines from Matt's brother Gareth Davies.

[I]Oz Rembrant[/I]

51. [B]Epoxies[/B]

50. [B]Guttermouth[/B]
Guttermouth, the Huntington Beach punks formed in 1989, their line up is vocalist Mark Adkins, Dered Davis and Scott Sheldon on guitar, bassist Stever Rapp and Captain James T. Nunn on drums. In 1992 they issued their first sull length and joined Nitro records (The Offspring’s Dexter Holland’s label), they have released 8 albums and also one live album. They joined Epitaph in 2000 and have released three albums on Epitpah. Their latest Eat Your Face, released in 2004 is amazing, full of snotty, funny and sometimes plain stupid punk songs. They are one of the catchiest bands on the planet and are very enjoyable to listen to.

[I]Rancid Dan[/I]

49. [B]The Soviettes[/B]
Formed in 2000, The Soviettes are one of the few new pop punk bands making an impression in the new milenium
playing catchy, energetic tunes that resembles classic bands such as the Buzzcocks and the Undertones. Getting an
unlikely shot with major pop punk label Fat Wreck Chords after they inpressed with their first two albums on Adeline
the band showed they could preform and record some unique and quirky music with their Fat debut earlier this year.
A promising band for the future.

[I]Excursions[/I]

48. [B]Groovie Ghoulies[/B]
The Groovie Ghoulies have been turning out horror influenced pop punk for the last 15 years, filled with catchy, fun filled melodies similar in sound to that of the Ramones. Although their sound is somewhat generic and some of their songs sound similar they have an energetic and catchy sound that no pop punk fan could deny. Recently the band has had various line-up changes and are continuing to release music putting out a cover album on their own label.

[I]Excursions[/I]

47. [B]All American Rejects[/B]
Tyson Ritter and Nick Wheeler were in junior high when music started
to influence them. Stillwater, OK, wasn't exactly the most exciting
place in the world, so they turned to music to idle time away. While
Ritter was staying up late, watching music videos, and rocking out to
AC/DC, Wheeler was on the other side of town raiding his sister's
music collection of Def Leppard, Poison, and Bon Jovi. Wheeler soon
picked up a guitar and later picked up the drums and piano. At a
high-school party, Ritter spotted Wheeler; and from there the band
took shape. Mike Kennerty and Chris Gaylor were added to Wheeler and
Ritter's rascal group by 2000 and the band was official. The
All-American Rejects independently released their self-titled debut on
Doghouse in late 2002, and several months later it was reissued by
DreamWorks. Their latest release, Move Along, was released earlier
this year to good reviews and shows the band is still growing.

[I]ZeppelinFan2k3[/I]

46. [B]The Lawrence Arms[/B]
This Chicago trio has been playing their melodic, gritty pop punk for six years now. Blending heart felt melodies with gruff violent punk they have created an overall sound that not many will dare to venture in the direction of. Apathy And Exhaustion, their Fat Wreck Chords debut release was widely regarded as the best release of 2002, a fact that highlights the calibre of their music. With more releases over the past two years and an extensive tour schedule, including participating in 2002’s Fat Wreck Tour has enabled them to continue of their path of filling the world with tuneful, meaningful music. Don’t be the one missing out!

[I]Drop The Baby[/I]

45. [B]The Queers[/B]
Love songs for the retarded. What a perfect album name to describe the sound of this band. Fun, fast, melodic and funny would be the perfect way to describe them. Formed in the early 1980s, they started off as a furious glam/punk band. But all through the eighties, under the influence of screeching weasel and the vandals, they would change their sound to a more ''ramones sound'' punk rock. Although their sound didn't change much at all since, they've still been releasing albums through the nineties. Love songs for the retard is their most stand-out album, but pleasant screams shows that they still have some good pop punk tunes to write before they can step down in quiet.

[I]Skatemasterbater[/I]

Angry Balled Fists! 08-31-2005 04:30 AM

44. [B]No Use For A Name[/B]
No Use for a Name formed in Sunnydale, CA, in 1987, and released their
recording debut later that year with "Turn It Around" -- their
contribution to a double 7" released by Maximum Rock'n'Roll magazine.
NUFAN next resurfaced in 1989 with the single "Let 'Em Out," followed
a year later by their full-length debut Incognito. After 1991's Don't
Miss the Train, the group signed with Fat Wreck Chords for 1993's The
Daily Grind. Lineup changes regularly plagued No Use for a Name, and
by the middle of the decade only Tony Sly and Rory Koff remained from
the original roster. After 1994's Leche Con Carne, the band kept a
relatively low profile before resurfacing three years later with
Making Friends. Shortly after completing 1999's More Betterness!,
their newest guitarist left NUFAN to join Foo Fighters. He was
replaced by former Suicidal Tendencies guitarist Dave Nassie. The NRA
Years followed in 2000, and the following tour was promoted with a
live album a few months later. The band stepped back into the studio
at the end of 2001 and reappeared the next year with Hard Rock Bottom.
Keep Them Confused was released earlier this year and supported by an
appearance on the Warped tour.

[I]ZeppelinFan2k3[/I]

43. [B]Armor For Sleep[/B]
The band started out as just one man, Ben Jorgenson, with his mother’s acoustic guitar, a pen and paper. After completing two songs during his lonely summer he rented out a recording studio to record them. This was only the beginning. When he entered college after that summer, his shyness prevented him from finding other people who had similar interests, that is, until he met 3 people who shared the same views as him. He found Anthony DiInno, who plays bass, Nash Breen, who played drums, and P.J DeCicco, who played guitar. The latter two also happen to be Ben’s cousins. After a bit of touring, they took a month off to write their debut album “Dream To Make Believe” which was released on Equal Vision Records in June 2003. In 2005 after some successful touring, as well as their own headlining tour, they took some time out to write their newest release “What To Do When You Are Dead”.

[I]Pennywiserocks[/I]

42. [B]MXPX[/B]
The Christian-themed punk-pop outfit MxPx was formed in Bremerton, Washington in 1993 by vocalist/bassist Mike Herrera, drummer Yuri Ruley and guitarist Andy. Originally dubbed Magnified Plaid, at the time of the group's formation all its members were still in high school; Andy was soon replaced by guitarist Tom Wisniewski, and by the time they got their driver's licenses the trio had already released several seven-inch singles and their debut album Pokinatcha for Tooth & Nail Records. It quickly became the label's best-seller and prompted the release of the band's second, Teenage Politics. Popular with the skate/surf community as well as the punk underground (with a snowboard sponsorship to their name), MxPx broke out of the underground in 1996 with their third LP, Life in General. Slowly Going the Way of the Buffalo, their debut for major label A&M, followed in 1998, trailed a year later by the live At the Show. The Ever Passing Moment appeared in the spring of 2000. Two years later, MxPx commemorated their time together with the release of Ten Years and Running.

[I]drum4weezer36[/I]

41. [B]Blondie[/B]
Blondie was the most commercially successful band to emerge from the much-vaunted punk/new wave movement of the late '70s. The group was formed in New York City in August 1974 by singer Deborah Harry (b. July 1, 1945, Miami), formerly of Wind in the Willows, and guitarist Chris Stein (b. January 5, 1950, Brooklyn) out of the remnants of Harry's previous group, the Stilettos. The lineup fluctuated over the next year. Drummer Clement Burke (b. November 24, 1955, New York) joined in May 1975. Bassist Gary Valentine joined in August. In October, keyboard player James Destri (b. April 13, 1954) joined, to complete the initial permanent lineup. They released their first album, Blondie, on Private Stock Records in December 1976. In July 1977, Valentine was replaced by Frank Infante

[I]drum4weezer36[/I]

40. [B]From First To Last[/B]
From First to Last started with the release of their EP Aesthetic in June
2003. The band from Gainesville, Florida then released their first full
length CD in June 2004 titled “Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Body Count.
From First to Last consists of 5 members, Sonny (Lead Vocals), Matt (Guitar,
Vocals), Travis (Guitar/Scream), Jon (Bass/Scream), Derek (Drums/Scream).
The band has also recorded two music videos for Ride The Wings of Pestilence
and Note to Self.

[I]Pazz 10[/I]

39. [B]The Used[/B]
This band own a lot harder than some people would have you believe. Mixing
pop-punk with the style of music usually played by bands akin to Emanuel and
He Is Legend, The Used have created a colourful body of work that has propelled them to success.
Poppier based songs such as Cut Up Angels are driving pop tinged punk
rawk fury such as I'm a fake can sit along emotional slow burner Blue and
Yellow and smash hit single Taste of Ink. Their self titled debut
in 2002 paving the way for a whole slew of looser bands such as
My Chemical Romance and From First To Last. The follow up, In Love and Death, infused Pop and Punk effortlessly.

[I]Ganondorf/Rancid Dan[/I]

38. [B]Mad Caddies[/B]
Who here doesn’t know the Mad Caddies? Hailing from sunny California the caddies have isolated their sound by playing an insane mix of reggae, punk and ska. Hooky guitar riffs and a pumping brass section (including possibly the best trumpeter in ska/punk today) are common on all four of their studio records, qualities well spotted by the mighty Fat Wreck Chords who signed them after the release of their debut record Quality Softcore on Honest Don’s. Duck And Cover, Rock The Plank and Just One More have solidified their reputation as one of the most exciting bands around and given birth to piratecore! Maybe not, but with a live album out last year demonstrating their energetic fun-filled live shows, this is a band you simply have to hear.

[I]Drop The Baby [/I]

Angry Balled Fists! 08-31-2005 04:32 AM

37. [B]Motion City Soundtrack[/B]
Motion City Soundtrack featured Joshua Cain (guitar), Tony Thaxton (drums), Justin Pierre (vocals/guitar), Jesse Johnson (moog), and Matthew Taylor (bass). The indie rock quintet originally formed in 1999 when Pierre and Cain were still in high school. The two were big fans of Sunny Day Real Estate, Jawbox, the Flaming Lips, and Superchunk, and those influences spurred their own band. Motion City Soundtrack self-released a 7" before the start of 2000, but it wasn't until Taylor, Thaxton, and Johnson joined the group that things came together. Thaxton and Taylor moved from Richmond, VA, to the band's hometown of Minneapolis, MN, and the band immediately started recording with producer/engineer Ed Rose (Get Up Kids, Ultimate Fakebook). Motion City Soundtrack's punk-glazed debut, I Am the Movie, was released in summer 2003. The Mark Hoppus-produced Commit This to Memory followed two years later.

[I]drum4weezer36[/I]

36. [B]Straylight Run[/B]
Straylight Run, created by Shaun Cooper and John Nolan (formally of Taking Back Sunday), formed in Long Island, New York in 2003. They released their self-titled debut on Victory Records in 2004, and the album became an instant hit. Straylight Run combines the soothing sounds of pianos and acoustic guitars with moving, emotional lyrics to create songs unlike any others found in pop-punk today. They are considered one of the more unique bands in recent memory, and their popularity is expected to grow.

[I]Emoscreamopunk[/I]

35. [B]Bigwig[/B]
New Jerseyian legendary speed-freaks and skatecore kings with as much
hardcore as power-pop mixed into their secret recipe for the perfect
pop-punk sound. Filling album after album - on renowned labels like Kung Fu
and Fearless - with blazing riffs, double-beats and catchy vocals hasn't
kept these guys off the road for long periods of time. Get ready to be blown
away by their 2006 release!

[I]Fat Pete[/I]

34. [B]Screeching Weasel[/B]
Although kids with green day caps don't know it, their favorite band owes a lot of their fame to the very influencial pop punk bands of the eighties, screeching weasel being one of them. They started off in 1986 as a generic hardcore punk band. They quickly changed to a more melodic sound, but the raw music is still noticable on their first album, oogada boogada boogada. Despite splitting up a couple of times, they would become one of the finest bands in the pop punk genre, even without getting any mainstream success.

[I]Skatemasterbater[/I]

33. [B]Goldfinger[/B]
One of the bands that contributed to the mini explosion of new-wave Ska Punk in Calafornia in the late 90's. Formed in 1994, The band released their first full length, S/T album a year later (aided no-doubt by the popularity of Ska-Punk at the time). The first single from the album - Here in your Bedroom - recived fairly wwide radio play across America, and the video recived much circulation on music channels. The band toured on the Van's Warped tour later that year. In 1997 the band released their second full length album called Hangups, then followed that up with the much less Ska-sounding, much more pop-punk vibed album Stomping Ground. The single/video combo of the bands Nena cover 99 Red Balloons was an instant hit. The band followed up with Open Your Eyes in 2002 and most recently Disconnection Notice in 2005. The bands long running carreer has been carrying the flag for happy fun pop punk/ska-punk which appeals to a great mass of angsty teenagers.

[I]Oz Rembrant[/I]

32. [B]New Found Glory[/B]
A New Found Glory formed in the summer of 1997 in Coral Springs, FL.
Known for their energetic live shows, the group toured up and down the
East Coast, and quickly sold out their debut EP: All About the Girl.
The full-length Nothing Gold Can Stay followed in 1999, and shortly
thereafter, A New Found Glory signed to major-label MCA and
re-released the LP later that year. From the Screen to Your Stereo EP
came in the spring of 2000, followed shortly by the full-length New
Found Glory later that year. A high-profile tour with Blink-182 and an
appearance on the Warped Tour helped them gain more mainstream
exposure, and following the tours they stepped back into the studio to
work on the follow-up. The result was 2002's Sticks and Stones. The
single "My Friend's Over You" was a huge hit, and helped snag NFG a
headlining spot for the 2002 Warped Tour jaunt. After the tour and its
resulting hype, A New Found Glory re-entered the studio once again.
The result, released in May 2004, was Catalyst, which meshed the
band's original Pop-Punk sound with more Hardcore and New Age
influences.

[I]ZeppelinFan2k3[/I]

31. [B]My Chemical Romance[/B]
Hailing from New Jersey, My Chemical Romance have had huge success since their formation by front man Gerard Way and ex-drummer Matt Pelissier in 2001. Their first album, entitled ‘I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love’ released on Eyeball Records in 2002, included the track ‘Headfirst For Halos’ and earned them an underground following. But it was not until 2 years later when the group would release the hugely popular ‘Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge’, catapulting them from underground fame to mainstream stardom. This latest album from the band includes the singles ‘Helena’ and ‘I’m Not Okay (I Promise)’, and has earned them a huge army of fans. The band’s current line up includes Mikey Way on bass, Ray Toro and Frank Iero on guitar and Bob Bryar replacing Matt on the drums. My Chemical Romance have a UK tour in November and are currently writing songs for their third album, to be released next year.

[I]Poprocksandcoke[/I]

Angry Balled Fists! 08-31-2005 04:32 AM

30. [B]Finch[/B]
Perhaps a band that are too easily overlooked in the eyes of many, Finch are amongst an elite group of bands that could easily be credited with bringing the current wave of 'nu-emo' to the forefront of the pop-punk scene. Whether you view this as a good thing or a bad thing is down to personal preference, but Finch's mix of raw aggression and guitar-driven melody is something that they not only spearheaded with debut album 'What It Is To Burn', but have built upon and expanded with their sophomore effort, 'Say Hello To Sunshine'.

[I]Jason 101[/I]

29. [B]Reel Big Fish[/B]
Reel Big Fish were one of the legions of Southern California ska-punk bands to edge into the mainstream following the commercial success of No Doubt and Sublime. Like most of their peers, the band was distinguished by their hyperkinetic stage shows, juvenile humor, ironic covers of new wave pop songs, and metallic shards of ska. The group cultivated an underground following that broke into the mainstream in the summer of 1997, when their single "Sell Out" became a modern rock radio and MTV favorite.
Based in Huntington Beach, California, Reel Big Fish was originally a trio comprised of vocalist/guitarist Aaron Barrett, bassist Matt Wong and drummer Andrew Gonzales. At that stage, the group was a conventional rock band with pop-metal leanings that covered both classic rock and Top 40 songs — it was music designed for frat parties. After several months, the band discovered ska and decided to add horn players. Reel Big Fish had a difficult time maintaining a stable horn section, and it took several years before their final lineup — featuring Tavis Werts(trumpet), Scott Klopfenstein (trumpet, vocals), Grant Barry (trombone) and Dan Regan (trombone) — fell into place.

[I]drum4weezer36[/I]

28. [B]Saosin[/B]
Saosin (pronounced “say-oh-sin”) is an up-and-coming pop-punk act out of California. The band released their first EP, Translating The Name, with singer Anthony Green in March 2003. The current lineup, consisting of Cove Reber (vocals), Beau Burchell (guitar, vocals), Justin Shekoski (guitar, vocals) Chris Sorenson (bass), and Alex Rodriguez (drums) didn’t come together until July 2003. Saosin mixes emotionally charged lyrics with powerful screams and distinctive tunes to create a unique sound they describe as Saocore™. The band is currently signed to Capitol Records, and plans to begin writing a new album in the near future.

[I]Emoscreamopunk[/I]

27. [B]The Adicts[/B]
The Adicts are on of the catchiest pop-punk bands to ever emerge from the scene. Starting in late 70's England, their music made pop-punk cool for street punks to like. They soon became known for catchy, dark, and funny songs like Mary Whitehouse and Viva La Revolution. They've kept with their original line-up since the beginning, adding 2 new members, and continue to tour play the music they've been playing for almost 30 years. Their simple and catchy (yet still punX!) music is still relevant now.

[I]guns_of_brixton[/I]

26. [B]The Buzzcocks[/B]
Formed in 1976, The Buzzocks are one of the definitive bands of the genre, remembered for their daring, often
funny lyrics and catchy pop punk hooks. After seeing a Sex Pistols show core member Pete Shelley and
Howard Devoto were inspired to make a band and in the coming months released there first material an
EP called Spiral Scratch. By 1981 the band had dissolved but you can never keep a good band down and a
decade later the band were again playing shows and recording classic pop punk material for there many dedicated
fans.

[I]Excursions[/I]

25. [B]Catch 22[/B]
In 1996 while Tomas Kalnoky and Chris Greer met Kevin Gunther at a local record store, they discovered a mutual love of music, namely punk & ska. They wanted to make a newer sound that combined their love of both types of music. They played local shows around New Jersey and had a fast growing fan base of this new sound. The band signed on to Victory Records in late 1997. Within a year Keasbey Nights became one of the top-ten selling Victory albums of all time. After Tomas left, and a newer, more energetic line-up. Catch 22 took to the road with Ten Foot Pole, for what became their biggest tour yet.

[I].Jessica. [/I]

24. [B]The Vandals[/B]
Hailing from The O.C, the vandals formed in 1980, which might suprise a lot of people as they only, became successful in the 90’s. They set the tone for lot’s of bands such as Blink 182, The Offspring and Green Day. Early in their career their shows were very riotous and crazy so they got banned from many venues. They released their debut full length in 1985, When in Rome Do as the Vandals on a small label; it featured some local radio hits. They had lots of band changes early int heir career, similarily to NoFx but from 1989 onwards they have had the same line up ever since. Warren Fitzgerald joined on guitar in 1987; Dave Quakenbush, Escalante and John Freese are the line up that has been The Vandals for over 15 years.
They released Slipperly When Ill, which was later re-issued under he title, The Vandals Play Really Bad Original Country Tunes. They released various albums since, and Fitzgerald and Escalante made their own label, Kung Fu in 1997. They returned to Nitro for 2 more releases and then carried on with Kung Fu for their two latest releases. An influential, long running and awesome pop-punk band.

[I]Rancid Dan[/I]

Angry Balled Fists! 08-31-2005 04:33 AM

23. [B]Box car racer[/B]
Too many, Box Car Racer were far more than Tom Delonge's side project in between Blink 182 albums. BCR were a short-lived band that explored the bleaker side of pop-punk, expressing the things that DeLonge felt he was unable to say through Blink 182. Their only album, which was self-titled, was rightly well received by critics and fans alike, dealing with subjects that felt tired and stale - such as teenage angst - and breathing new life into them. Although DeLonge has publicly stated that BCR is no longer in existance, fans have to wonder if the recent break-up of Blink 182 has inadvertantly given the opportunity for the band to emerge from the ashes...

[I]Jason101[/I]

22. [B]Lagwagon[/B]
The pride and joy of Goleta, CA formed in 1990 as a punk/metal group called
Section 8 (a name later to be used by a rap group and a hardcore band), and
they were the first non-NOFX band to release an album on Fat Wreck Chords.
As the trend-makers and ground-breakers in the pop-punk scene they are,
owning a Lagwagon album is as essential as drunkards on christmas. And owning an album by them is loving an album by them as Lagwagon is one of the few bands to only put out magnificent releases!

[I]Fat Pete[/I]

21. [B]The Starting Line[/B]
The Starting Line formed in early 2000, after lead guitarist, Matt Watts, sent Kenny Vasoli an e-mail about him joining the band. Kenny and the band got it off on a great start, and got a record deal. Drive-Thru helped The Starting Line tour and record Say It Like You Mean It. That album has done a lot for catchy pop-punk. The Starting Line are just giving us hits after hits.

[I]Tjebby[/I]

20. [B]Fall Out Boy[/B]
This is a band for the future. Hailing from Chicago, Fall Out Boy have already made a mark on the msuci industry. They formed in 2000 and all members were a part of the local scene already. They released their first demo in 2001 and did a split with Project Rocket in 2002. In early ’03, they issued the mini-LP Fall out Boy’s Evening Out With Your Girl. They released Take This to Your Grave in 2003; this was a huge success and was one of the records of the year, with catchy, poppy punk tunes to have you singing all day long. In 2005 they released From Under the Cork Tree, a less happy album and more ambitious one too under Island Records and had a hit with the single Sugar, we’re going down. This is only beginning of a great pop-punk band that will be here for years to come.

[I]Rancid Dan[/I]

19. [B]Less Than Jake[/B]
Formed in 1992 as a power-pop trio with a heavy punk influence and a fixation with Pez candy, Less Than Jake metamorphosed into a ska-inspired punk band with the addition of several members from 1993 to 1995. Vocalist and guitarist Chris, bassist Shaun and drummer Vinnie were the first incarnation of the group, based in Gainesville, Florida; after Shaun became the group's roadie, however, he was replaced by Chris (and later Roger). During 1993-94, the group added saxophone players Jessica and Aaron plus trombone player Buddy.

[I]drum4weezer36[/I]

18. [B]Sum 41[/B]
Formed from a pool of formerly rival bands, Sum 41 came together in
Ajax, Ontario in 1996, and would become one of the most well known
Pop-Punk bands of the 90's and 00's. With a criminal record to back
their mischevious image, Sum 41 began to appear on the radar with
their first release, Half Hour of Power. However, their next release,
All Killer No Filler, propelled them into the mainstream, riding the
airwaves from TRL to local radio stations. Their flawless rendition
of Master of Puppets, at an MTV Icon tribute, shocked non-believers
and spread acclaim for their musicianship amongst many who had failed
to see it on their albums. Does This Look Infected? was a fusion of
their early Pop-Punk style and their Metal roots, and their latest
release, Chuck, further explored those metal roots. The band is still
young and has a long future ahead of them, and with their evolving
sound on each album, no one knows for sure where they'll be next.

[I]Zeppelinfan2k3[/I]

Angry Balled Fists! 08-31-2005 04:33 AM

17. [B]Millencolin[/B]
Millencolin was formed in 1992 in Sweden by Nikola Sarcevic, Erik Olsson and Mathias Farm, who were then three kids who liked to skate. In ’93 Fredrick Larzon joined rounding out the lineup to this day. Millencolin have throughout their career gone from ska-punk to pop punk to rock to something in between. While Millencolin is rather popular in Europe their mainstream exposure in the U.S. has mainly been putting their songs in skating video games. They still continue to tour and release albums.

[I]mostlydeadonarrival[/I]

16. [B]Bouncing Souls[/B]
These happy, fast, catchy pop-punkers formed in 1987, they set out to make fast, 3 chord, loud music and that’s exactly what they did. Hailing from New Jersey, the four band members formed their own label in 1993, because of struggling to find one, they released two Ep’s and their first full length in 1993. They joined BYO records in 1995 and re-released their debut and their follow up. They’ve joined Epitaph since and have started making a real name for themselves. They’re one of the catchiest and true pop-punk bands around, so check ‘em out soon as if you haven’t already.

[I]Rancid Dan[/I]

15. [B]Jimmy Eat World[/B]
Jimmy Eat World was formed in 1994 in Mesa, Arizona. On their major label debut, Static Prevails, dual songwriters, Jim Adkins and Tom Linton, wrote songs influenced by a wide variety of artists (Fugazi, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Cure). It became a theme throughout their records of combining hard, aggressive songs with slow, orchestrated ballads. Capitol Records wasn’t satisfied with JEW’s college radio success. As a result they were dropped from Capitol and were forced to pay for the making of their next record, Bleed American, out of their own pocket. Surprisingly, this record gained mainstream success. However, the sudden attention they were getting didn’t change the quality of their songs. With their latest album, Futures, they still are able to please their fans that were with them since Static Prevails while having music videos seen frequently on MTV2 and Fuse networks.

[I]BringHomeTheBacon[/I]

14. [B]Taking Back Sunday[/B]
In November 1999, in Amityville, Ny Taking Back Sunday were formed. Their sound is melodic, yet hard and they released their debut, Tell All Your Friends in 2002, a modern classic. The vocals are emotional and are done in duel form, so different lyrics and singing is produced at once, it’s an awesome sound.
They spent the majority of ‘02 and’ 03 touring but Copper and Nolan left and there was little hope for the band. But in late 2003, a new guitarist and vocalist Fred Mascherino and bassist Matt Rubano joined in time for their tour and recording for Where you want to be, which was released in summer ’04. Sometimes it’s hard not to feel a bit disappointed by this album but it still features the trademark duel vocals and duel guitar work which made their first album so amazing. That line up is now recording for their follow up, which is eagerly anticipated.

[I]Rancid Dan[/I]

13. [B]The Ramones[/B]
Starting out in the New York City Underground in 1975, the Ramones played fast, catchy punk rock, taking influence from the New York Dolls and the glue they sniffed. Many consider them the founders of punk and pop-punk. Their 3 chord songs were simple and catchy, everything that punk rock was supposed to be. The Ramones' first album inspired a ton of bands across the Atlantic. They released great album after great album in the 70's and continued to play into the 90's. The Ramones weren't the most talented or political band, but that didn't stop them from making some amazing music.

[I]guns_of_brixton[/I]

12. [B]Weezer[/B]
When Weezer was formed on Valentine?s Day of 1992, they didn?t think they would ever sell more than 100 albums. Around the time their debut self titled album (known as The Blue Album) was released, popular groups were Metallica and Soundgarden. Weezer sounded like neither of these bands nor did they have the image of these bands. However, The Blue Album ended up selling over 3 million copies. Weezer?s next album, Pinkerton, wasn?t nearly as commercially successful as The Blue Album, but it is seen by many as one of the great albums of the 90s. Although many feel Weezer?s last 3 albums haven?t lived up to their first 2 albums, Weezer are respected today for the influence they?ve made on many of today?s bands and a sound that easily seperated them from any of the artists around when they formed.

[I]BringHomeTheBacon[/I]

11. [B]AFI[/B]
AFI started in the summer of 1991. Their first
release: Answer that and Stay Fashionable, released on
Nitro Records, was a fast paced punk album, as was
their second album: Very Proud of Ya!, whilst there
next albums would be more rock influenced, and every
change they've made has been good. AFI are still going
strong and have a new album coming out soon.

[I]Chairman of the board[/I]

Angry Balled Fists! 08-31-2005 04:34 AM

The Top 10 !

10. [B]Descendents[/B]
Well, the band that started it, almost every pop-punk has been influenced by the Descendents, formed in 1979 in Los Angeles they released their first full length and one of if not the greatest pop-punk record of all time, Milo goes to college in 1981. Their style is fast, hardcore music with poppy and catchy hooks. They write songs about girls, coffee, harshness of life and general teen angst. They are the ultimate pop-punk band. After they released Milo goes to college, the lead singer did go to college and they went on a break.
They re-formed in 1985 with a new guitarist and released I don’t want to grow up, in 1987 they released the not so successful All, the group split again and the only Descendents records that came out for a considerable amount of time was two live albums, Liveage! and Hallraker. In 1996 they re-formed again to fans delights with All Bassist (the band Stevenson formed after the split in ’87) Karl Alvarez and guitarist Stephen Egerton, they released the successful Everything Sucks which hadn’t lost any of the Descendents winning formula, catchy fast punk songs. In 2004 they released their newest record; Cool to be you which is their poppiest release yet but certainly isn’t a bad one. A legendary band which I hope goes on for years to come.

[I]Rancid Dan[/I]

9. [B]Alkaline Trio[/B]
Alkaline Trio formed in 1997 with band members Matt Skiba (Guitar/vocals), Rob Doran (Bass/vocals) and Glenn porter (Drums/vocals), hailing from Chicago they wrote songs about drinking, hating cops, relationships and all things dark. Dan Andriano joined the band for their debut full length, Goddamit. In 1999 they released Maybe I’ll Catch Fire and a self titled rare songs and b-sides compilation. They’ve had numerous drummers, Mike Felumlee drummed for then for From Here to Infirmany, their most popular album but Derek Grant joined the group for Good mourning and Crimson, their two latest albums. They are now very successful and are on the radio and late night TV shows regularly.

[I]Rancid Dan[/I]

8. [B]Coheed and Cambria[/B]
Coheed and Cambria were formed around 2000, in New York. Coheed and Cambria was started as a side project by the lead singer Claudio Sanchez. The bands original name was Shabutie, but was later changed to Coheed and Cambria. Coheed and Cambria is most known and often compared to Rush for the amazing range of Claudio’s voice. Also, the albums are actually a story wrote by Claudio. The story will be later released as a graphic novel when all of the CD’s have been completed. Coheed and Cambria are growing in fame and many people are awaiting the release of there newest CD, Good Apollo I’m Burning Star IV Volume I: From Fear Through The Eyes of Madness. This will be the bands third release.

[I]Depthsofdreams555[/I]

7. [B]Bad Religion[/B]
The most influential band to come out of the 80s Southern California hardcore-punk scene, Bad Religion are, very ironiclly, gods of their genre. They inspired many bands to start up their own bands, playing hardcore-punk and getting a scene started up in there area. And with the founding of Epitaph by Bad Religion's own Brett Gurewitz, these bands were able to be signed to a label that would respect their needs as musicians and would help them get their name out there. Not only were Bad Religion pioneers in their genre, but they were also proof that punks could be intelligent. With many of the members going to college, finishing college, and even getting Master's degrees. And this intelligence shows in their music, provoding points of views on religion and politics that could get any young punk thinking differently about the world around him.

[I]Brain Squirmin' Like a Toad[/I]

6. [B]NoFx[/B]
NoFx formed in 1982 in Berkley, CA. They were one of the earliest artists in the punk revival and they steered clear of commercial exposure and major labels throughout their career. They have released 11 full length albums and a high number of EP’s as well. Formed 23 years ago, they are still going strong, having released The War On Errorism in 2004, they took a more political turn. During their early years there had been a lot of band changes, but since Punk In Drublic, (their best-selling release to date) they have had the same line up since, Fat Mike, Eric Melvin, El Hefe and Erik Sandin. They write fast, snotty, funny, catchy punk songs and are to be enjoyed by all.
An awesome Punk/Pop-Punk band.

[I]Rancid Dan[/I]

Angry Balled Fists! 08-31-2005 04:35 AM

The Top 5 !!!!!!!

5. [B]Brand New[/B]
Formed in Long Island, NY, Brand New appeared in the Pop-Punk scene in
2000. The band released its first record, Your Favorite Weapon, in
2001. The album did not garner as much attention as its sequel, Deja
Entendu, which truly thrust them onto the scene, though it had many
strengths on its own. Deja Entendu was released in summer 2003, and
was a decidedly matured follow-up, mixing in a blend of more
indie-based sounds and acoustic guitar parts. Both albums yielded
music videos on MTV, and any news of follow-up albums is highly
anticipated by a loyal fan base.

[I]ZeppelinFan2k3[/I]

4. [B]The Offspring[/B]
The offspring are one of the most successful bands in pop punk, and have achieved so, even if they aren't what they used to be, without dramativally changing their sound like most bands. They formed in California in the mid eighties and played gigs with other californian bands that would become big, such as rancid and green day. From that time on they would release 7 albums and a best hits album(that came out this year). Their first big success was definetly smash, who got the pop punk genre into mainstream along with green day's dookie. Their follow-ups ixnay on the hombre and americana also gave them great attention and alot of radio playing time. But ever since they have not been able to put out another outstanding album, and after having released a best hits album, it might be for the best that they step down after their next album.

[I]Skatemasterbater[/I]

3. [B]Rancid[/B]
The Bay Area Punks formed in 1991 by Tim Armstrong and Matt Freeman, they were good friends and both have a passion for punk music. Rancid were one of the main bands that helped the 90’s Punk revival be so successful. They both played together in the legendary ska-punk band Operation Ivy. Matt helped Tim get through his battle with him being an alcoholic and they formed Rancid, they added drummer, Brett Reed and started playing shows. Their first Ep caught the attention of Epitaph label owner Brett Gueritz (member of Bad Religion), they joined the label and have been with them ever since, even after major labels had offered them contracts. Lars Frederiksen joined the band in 1993, ready for their second release Let’s Go They have released 6 Studio Albums , their most successful is And Out Come The Wolves…which went platinum made them really hit the mainstream and MTV and radio was all over them, they had hits with Ruby Soho, Roots Radicals and Time Bomb. Their music is heavily influence by British ‘77 era punk, particularly The Clash. Their songs are fast, catchy and raw. Their newest labum is much popper than the rest of their discography, but it doesn’t make it bad. An awesome punk/pop-punk band that will keep the spirit of punk forever.

[I]Rancid Dan[/I]

2. [B]Blink 182[/B]

The ultimate power-pop band, known by everyone, formed in 1993. I bet they didn’t think they were going to become as successful they are now. Formed by guitarist/vocalist Tom Delonge, Bassist/vocalist Mark Hopppus and drummer, Scott Raynor. Scott left the band in 1999, and Travis Barker, formerly of the ska-punk band, The Aquabats joined in time for their massive Enema Of The State, which sold over 4 million copies and propelled them into the world of fame. They have released 6 full lengths and also a live album. 1997’s Dude Ranch featured the massive hit Dammit, which really set the wheel turning for them.
After their 2003 self-titled album, the band was gone on an “indefinite hiatus”, they may be no longer in existence, but they have brought joy to many people over their years.

[I]Rancid Dan[/I]

1. [B]Green Day[/B]
Green Day originally formed as Sweet Children in 1987, after guitarist/vocalist Billie Joe Armstrong dropped out of high school in Berkely, California and formed a band with best friend Mike Dirnt on bass and Al Sobrante on drums. When Sobrante left, the group reformed with Tre Cool taking his place behind the drumkit, and renamed themselves Green Day. The group drew their main inluences from early punk and pop-punk bands such as The Sex Pistols, The Clash and The Ramones, and travelled to gigs in an old book van. After 4 EP’s and 1 small label album, Green Day had a huge breakthrough in 1994 with ‘Dookie’, which is arguably their best album to date. Green Day recently had even more success with the widely popular ‘American Idiot’ and are perhaps the most widely known pop-punk group of today.

[I]Poprocksand coke[/I]

So it looks like Green Day won, after struggling in the semis, the kings managed to topple Rancid who stayed in the lead in the final till the final hour :(
Blink 182 drew with them in the final, but got more votes in the other rounds totalled, as did Bad Religion over Coheed and Cambria and Alkaline Trio over Descendents.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would just like to thank all the blurb writers, especially Emoscreaompunk and ZeppelinFan2k3 who I will try and get rep for.
Other users who I will try and get rep for are Excursions and Drum4weezer36.
So, if a mod see's this please rep them (and me :p)

[B]Blurb Writers: [/B]

Emoscreamopunk - 20
Rancid Dan – 17
ZeppelinFan2k3 – 10
Excursions – 5
Drum4weezer36 - 5
Skatemasterbater – 4
Drop The Baby - 3
BringHomeTheBacon – 3
Fat Pete – 3
Jason101 – 3
Pennywiserocks – 3
Depthsofdreams555 – 3
Kif - 2
guns_of_brixton - 2
Poprocksandcoke – 2
Oz Rembrant - 2
Brain Squirmin’ like a Toad – 1
All Music.com – 1
Mostlydeadonarival - 1
Chairman of the board – 1
Silvermedalmafia - 1
Tjebby – 1
Firecrackercheese - 1
.Jessica. – 1
CommieCanada - 1
Pazz 10 - 1
Ganondorf – 1

If your not on that list, then um...........you suck :p

Thank you all who took part.

Kif 08-31-2005 04:44 AM

Oh yeah, Brand New beat out Taking Back Sunday again!

Untitled 08-31-2005 04:47 AM

[QUOTE=Keef]Oh yeah, Brand New beat out Taking Back Sunday again![/QUOTE]
But we all know that new tbs will piss all over new brand new :p

albert_bass 08-31-2005 04:52 AM

Good work Dan (And the other people). I don't like the list very much but that doesn't mean that hard work hasn't been done on here. And Bigwig are high enough for me, I'm happy about that.

Angry Balled Fists! 08-31-2005 04:57 AM

Thanks, i'm quite proud now it's done.

The top 10 is a good top 10 but in a bad order.

billiejoe84 08-31-2005 04:57 AM

I think that's a pretty good list. The higher places are pretty much as I expected them. Well done, everyone who wrote a blurb.

Gnarmageddon 08-31-2005 05:24 AM

/me stickies the thread

Nice work, Dan. I still think NOFX should have been ranked higher.

Dragon_Prince 08-31-2005 05:25 AM

good list, godo work allthogu I don't consider rancid pop punk ^^

TakeWarning 08-31-2005 05:37 AM

Brilliantly done fellers.

DepthsOfDreams555 08-31-2005 05:39 AM

Nice job Dan.

EDIT:I did 3 band blurbs and you only gave me credit for Coheed and Cambria, I did Senses Fail, and Boys Night Out too. No big deal just pointing it out. Lol.

Angry Balled Fists! 08-31-2005 06:37 AM

Sorry, i'll get onto it.

Cheers, Mr Mod :p

Add it into the links thread too.

Bloodlust 08-31-2005 06:40 AM

nice Dan

Angry Balled Fists! 08-31-2005 06:50 AM

Ok i've done it Depths...

Could a mod get round to modding the individuals i asked please...

TakeWarning 08-31-2005 06:54 AM

[QUOTE=Rancid Dan]Ok i've done it Depths...

Could a mod get round to modding the individuals i asked please...[/QUOTE]

Modding?

Angry Balled Fists! 08-31-2005 06:55 AM

LOL, sorry, repping.
:lol:

albert_bass 08-31-2005 07:08 AM

OMFG! Spence is already a mod! Congrats Spence.

Kif 08-31-2005 07:32 AM

[QUOTE=Untitled]But we all know that new tbs will piss all over new brand new :p[/QUOTE]
:eek:

Traitor!

Ganondorf 08-31-2005 07:33 AM

You censored my blurb!!! gah :p