Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   lod (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573519)

AG 03-27-2010 10:27 AM

[QUOTE=Squirrel;17890132]Running on concrete is one of the worst exercises for your joint, arguably THE worst. Plenty of exercises are better for you. Swimming for example. Even weight-lifting is better for your joints.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't recommend running to anyone! You've completely changed my mind.

Squirrel 03-27-2010 10:34 AM

Funny statement actually, seeing as I try to actively discourage people from running. Esepcially when,

1. they want to lose weight
2. it's the only form of exercise they do.
3. theyre unhealthy, or worse, overweight.

There's far more efficient things to do than running, it's almost a waste of time.

Squirrel 03-27-2010 10:35 AM

[QUOTE=El-Ahrairah;17890137]Shoes can absorb most of the energy from the impact on concrete, I've been running with poopty shoes for years until my knees gave me a payback, now I'm running with proper shoes and have no problems at all, even with asphalt on 1/8 of my running track (8km).
It took me half a year to recover though.[/QUOTE]

Sorry i might be misinterpreting here, but your "track" is 8km, and 1km is on asphalt?

Left Face Down 03-27-2010 10:45 AM

[QUOTE=Squirrel;17890156]Funny statement actually, seeing as I try to actively discourage people from running. Esepcially when,

1. they want to lose weight
2. it's the only form of exercise they do.
3. theyre unhealthy, or worse, overweight.

There's far more efficient things to do than running, it's almost a waste of time.[/QUOTE]

Running and a proper diet is all you really need if you just want to lose weight. Though most people leave out that "proper diet" thing. Which is why they fail. Basic principle of more calories in than out dooms them to failure.

Besides, AG will never let his wife beat him running. So he has proper motivation. Granted a little sexist, but kind of a standard thing among males.

Squirrel 03-27-2010 10:47 AM

Running is a poor way to lose weight.

Diet indeed is key, ut running is a bad approach. There's far better alternatives.

Left Face Down 03-27-2010 10:55 AM

Maybe it isn't the best form of cardio, but my limit knowledge in exercise puts cardio as what you want to do if you want to burn calories. Of course this can be through running, roller-blades, bikes, swimming, etc. etc. Really just depends what you enjoy the most I guess.

Squirrel 03-27-2010 10:59 AM

lmao rollerblading

cardio is working your cardiovascular system, as the name implies, which is different to fat loss

AG 03-27-2010 11:09 AM

Wtf. Fat loss is maths.

More work = more calories burnt

More calories burnt = More calorie deficit

More calorie defecit = fat burnt for energy.

Running may not be the most effecient form of excersise but it's one of the most enjoyable.

Blue_Moon 03-27-2010 11:32 AM

eat less excercise more is what i gathered as the easiest way of saying it but general decent diet change nice excersise and yer good

Squirrel 03-27-2010 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=AG;17890220]Wtf. Fat loss is maths.

More work = more calories burnt

More calories burnt = More calorie deficit

More calorie defecit = fat burnt for energy.

Running may not be the most effecient form of excersise but it's one of the most enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

I know, but it's one of the least efficient tools for fat loss.

I don't care either way cause i'm not fat so I zwn.

Left Face Down 03-27-2010 11:50 AM

[QUOTE=Squirrel;17890206]lmao rollerblading

cardio is working your cardiovascular system, as the name implies, which is different to fat loss[/QUOTE]

As I said before, more calories burned than taken in will cause you to lose weight. Though the two major types of exercise I know of are cardio and weight training. Weight training isn't good for weight loss, it is good for muscle building.

You can have all the muscle in the world, but if you have a layer of fat over it then you wont see it. C'mon man, what you gonna tell me next; cardio doesn't burn calories?

Squirrel 03-27-2010 11:51 AM

What with my biochemistry degree, being a science teacher, and having boxed for years, all of this is so new to me.

i was laughing at the idea that the second idea you could muster was rollerblading

and of course it burns calories, it uses energy, but in terms of FAT LOSS, its a weak tool

Left Face Down 03-27-2010 11:58 AM

[QUOTE=Squirrel;17890283]
i was laughing at the idea that the second idea you could muster was rollerblading[/QUOTE]

Now you're just trolling. Actually swimming was the second one that popped into my head, as I know a lot of people that do it. However I didn't list them as they came to my mind.

Plus I didn't list things like Basketball, baseball, soccer, football, etc. because a lot of the physical exertion through those sports can be summed up as running.

Squirrel 03-27-2010 12:31 PM

I'm not trolling, the second thing you listed was roller-blading.

And thats debatable; we're talking about running as in moderate distance jogging here, basketball etc is more like HIIT, which i mentioned above.

Lmao baseball and "football" sports where you run a combined distance of about 200 metres over the course of a few hours

AG 03-27-2010 12:36 PM

Beckham ran 18 miles in some final sometime. I seem to rememebr.

JoshIsNumber3 03-27-2010 12:42 PM

lmao lfd you would list rollerblading

Squirrel 03-27-2010 01:04 PM

[QUOTE=AG;17890359]Beckham ran 18 miles in some final sometime. I seem to rememebr.[/QUOTE]

Fair figure but two things; it's a long distance over a prolonged time, different to me springs etc we were talking about earlier. And I believe he said football in reference to american football, so i put it in inverted commas.

Squirrel 03-27-2010 01:05 PM

sup josh

JoshIsNumber3 03-27-2010 01:09 PM

sup squirrel

Squirrel 03-27-2010 01:15 PM

Not a lot, sat about letting my food go down. Aching a bit from boxing last night but other than that i'm chill.

How about you, hows things at your end?

JoshIsNumber3 03-27-2010 01:41 PM

Not much. Bought a new desk yesterday, replaced the crap I had before, new mouse/keyboard/hard drive. Looking up what graduate schools I want to go to so I can request information packets.

BFdrummer 03-27-2010 07:26 PM

Jesus Christ our Lod and savior

Shinfo of the day:

My crappy roommate left his fleshlight in the shower. I laughed and took pictures.

AG 03-27-2010 07:30 PM

:lol:

Modern Iconoclast 03-27-2010 07:40 PM

**** yes, WVU just owned Kentucky.

Royd Rage 03-28-2010 01:07 AM

[QUOTE=Squirrel;17890185]Running is a poor way to lose weight.

Diet indeed is key, ut running is a bad approach. There's far better alternatives.[/QUOTE]

wait i have a treadmill...running isn't good? :confused:

[QUOTE=BFdrummer;17890887]Jesus Christ our Lod and savior

Shinfo of the day:

My crappy roommate left his fleshlight in the shower. I laughed and took pictures.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="5"]HAHAHA[/SIZE]

Squirrel 03-28-2010 05:06 AM

read the thread

mnemonic 03-28-2010 05:11 AM

i hate running on concrete, i got mad shin splints last time i did that.

also,
squirrel, seeing as you seem to think yourself the god of all that is exercise, would sprint training, or whatever you would call it, be considered HIIT?

and if not, what are some examples of HIIT?

El-Ahrairah 03-28-2010 05:17 AM

[QUOTE=R.L.;17891738]wait i have a treadmill...running isn't good? :confused:

[/QUOTE]

Don't listen, running is good for you. Back when we were hunters, gatherers and rapists, it's what we did all day, it's what our body has adapted to over thousands of millenia.

Squirrel 03-28-2010 06:33 AM

Yeah but we didnt run for miles.

We sprinted over short distances, on earth, not concrete.

Running is good for you, yes. How many ****ing times do I have to post that. Running endless miles on concrete in the aim of losing body fat, overall, is not. It's an inefficient way of doing it. And as said, it ****s your joints no end.

[QUOTE]squirrel, seeing as you seem to think yourself the god of all that is exercise, would sprint training, or whatever you would call it, be considered HIIT?

and if not, what are some examples of HIIT?[/QUOTE]

HIIT is high intensity interval training, so given that spring training is a high intensity exercise over intervals rather than prolonged time, then yeah, pretty much.

People use them pretty interchangably.

fingers mccoy 03-28-2010 07:36 AM

squirrel are you mostly arguing for hiit over extended moderate cardio for fat loss or do you think that an activity entirely different to running would produce better results