Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drums & Percussion (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Medeli DD506 and EZDrummer questions (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556331)

The Crimson Sunset 04-28-2008 08:57 AM

Medeli DD506 and EZDrummer questions

Hi,

2 days ago I bought the Medeli DD506 electronic drumkit. It's a rather cheap e-kit, but I'm just using the drumkit for fun because I'm mainly a guitarist.

Now yesterday I tried hooking up the DD506 to my computer (by using MIDI) to trigger the drums sounds from EZDrummer. So I'm going:

dd506 ---- midi ----- computer (cubase + ezdrummer) ----- speaker

After some trial and error things started to work fine, though I'm still stuck with a few things:

1. When I hit the "open hi-hat" on the dd506, it triggers the open hi-hat in EZDrummer. But when I hit "tom 2" on the dd506 it also triggers the open hi-hat in EZDrummer... How do I change this?

2. With the Medeli I can choke the symbals, but when I connect to my pc to get trigger the sounds from EZDrummer, I can't choke the symbals anymore. Is it possible to also choke the symbals when using EZDrummer ?

Thanks for any help !! :)

SparBZ 04-28-2008 10:02 AM

I'm not familiar with any of the products, but if there's a "Learn MIDI" button on the program, you should be able to set Learn MIDI to tom2, then hit the tom.

For the second problem, the EZDrummer is not recognizing your "choke" or doesn't have a sound to play.

Carn 04-28-2008 10:07 AM

a choked cymbal probably has a midi-note value that is not pre-set in EZdrummer. If you find the correct sound to match it with the midi-note, it should work.

-i think-

The Crimson Sunset 04-28-2008 12:04 PM

In Cubase I checked the input midi-notes when I played the different parts of the Medeli DD506.

I noticed that the open hi-hat and Tom2 both give the same midi-note :confused:

Carn 04-28-2008 12:17 PM

seems like a driver problem to me, appearently the software doesn't recognize the note and gives it an existing value.

Chippy569 04-28-2008 12:22 PM

might be a send issue in your drum brain, i'd look there first and make sure it's sending on a different channel.

The Crimson Sunset 04-29-2008 07:40 AM

As far as I know the drum brain only sends midi-messages over channel 10 ... At least that's what it says on the midi-implementation-chart in the manual...

SparBZ 04-29-2008 08:17 AM

Is "cymbal-choke" a midi-send?

The Crimson Sunset 04-29-2008 09:08 AM

I'm not sure... I'm starting to think that the cymbal-choke is not a midi-send.

but the open-hihat and tom2 appear to be the same midi-note. I don't know how I can change that. It can't be changed on the e-kit itself, can it ?
The manual doesn't mention that.

Chippy569 04-29-2008 10:37 AM

it should be able to. your manual is probably useless given what you paid for it.

Carn 05-03-2008 01:56 PM

well, Medeli isnt exactly known for their quality products ;P

embulus 05-25-2008 03:30 PM

Hi,... same problem

I have a new medeli dd506 since yesterday and I have the same problem of the same note sended from the open hh and the 2 tom trough the midi output ... I think it depend from the setting of the midi out in GM mode.

Have you solved this problem?...

Thanks bye

BODYPRINT 07-14-2008 03:28 AM

I also bought the DD506, Mine was the Legacy though. Same thing, different badge :)

There is a work around for the Tom2/ Hihat problem.

In the utility, do not set the MIDI ouput to GM only, leave it at the default P-N setting.

Set your kit to Kit #4 because this is the first one that outputs seperate MIDI notes for each drum and has a middle Hihat output as well.

Now I use BFD2 which allows you to assign each MIDI note to a drum. Never used EZdrummer, so I can't help you there :)

But I also can't get the choke to work because the Drum Module doesn't output the Note that the aftertouch is assigned to when you sqeeze the cymbals. Kinda sucks :(

BODYPRINT 07-14-2008 07:41 PM

OK, i got the chokes and hihat splash working as well. I can also trigger different MIDI notes with different hit strengths (side stick/rim shot) with a couple of free MIDI tools that you can find here...

[url]http://www.harmony-central.com/Software/Windows/midi.html[/url]

The first tool I found was called MidiFish which lets you translate 1 midi note to another and also lets you split notes by hit strength. Has crossfades as well. Very cool. But it didn't fix the choke problem.

As I mentioned in the above post I use BFD2 which can use MIDI notes to choke the cymbals, so I used another tool called MIDI Translator which allows you to convert MIDI control messages into MIDI notes. It's not as easy to use as MidiFish, but once you get used to it it's not too hard.

With the DD506 module set to Kit 4, and GM Midi turned off in the utility menu (P-N) you get each drum on a seperate MIDI note, you get 3 Hihat positions each on seperate MIDI notes and you get a Hihat Splash on a seperate MIDI note.

So the (not so) basic setup I have is...

DD506 Module --> MidiFish (Translate and Velocity splits) --> Midi Translator (Choke Controls to MIDI notes) --> Host

When I get time, I'll try make a step by step tutorial.

LiamSlack 09-12-2008 04:01 PM

Hey Bodyprint -

I'd love it if you could hook me up with that tutorial. I'm trying to trigger EZDrummer with a DD65 in my project studio, and I'd love full hat control and choke capability without dragging out a full electronic kit.

Cheers,
-Liam

theoracle 11-01-2008 01:11 PM

I need help with connecting my DD506 to the pc with USB

Hi,
I just got the same kit yesterday and I can't connect it to my PC with USB .
for some reason the driver fails to install correctly (it's USB EMP AUDIO DEVICE on XP Pro).

BTW,I have a Q :
Is it possible after connecting with the pc to play music from the pc and here it together with the drums in my earphones?

Any information will be helpful.
Thanks ,
A.

loungecore 11-02-2008 08:00 PM

What host program are you using to run it all on your PC?

I've haven't read through the whole thread, but basically the way to sort this problem out is to work out whats being triggered on what midi chanels by the drum module and then congifure EZdrummer accordingly. I can't remember the way to do this but its dedinately possible, i've done it myself before.

As for cymbal choking, there is a sound for choked cymbal its in EZdrummer. So this might be possible if it works in the same way as the open/close hi hats do whereby they cut the previously triggered sound and trigger then actual closing sound to make it realistic.

Carn 11-03-2008 06:29 AM

[QUOTE=theoracle;16823202]BTW,I have a Q :
Is it possible after connecting with the pc to play music from the pc and here it together with the drums in my earphones?

.[/QUOTE]

drums --> pc --> headphone: yes
pc --> drums --> headphone: only if the module has some kind of audio/mix/line in.

iszalai 07-26-2009 01:27 AM

[QUOTE=BODYPRINT;16487157]OK, i got the chokes and hihat splash working as well. I can also trigger different MIDI notes with different hit strengths (side stick/rim shot) with a couple of free MIDI tools that you can find here...

[url]http://www.harmony-central.com/Software/Windows/midi.html[/url]

The first tool I found was called MidiFish which lets you translate 1 midi note to another and also lets you split notes by hit strength. Has crossfades as well. Very cool. But it didn't fix the choke problem.

As I mentioned in the above post I use BFD2 which can use MIDI notes to choke the cymbals, so I used another tool called MIDI Translator which allows you to convert MIDI control messages into MIDI notes. It's not as easy to use as MidiFish, but once you get used to it it's not too hard.

With the DD506 module set to Kit 4, and GM Midi turned off in the utility menu (P-N) you get each drum on a seperate MIDI note, you get 3 Hihat positions each on seperate MIDI notes and you get a Hihat Splash on a seperate MIDI note.

So the (not so) basic setup I have is...

DD506 Module --> MidiFish (Translate and Velocity splits) --> Midi Translator (Choke Controls to MIDI notes) --> Host

When I get time, I'll try make a step by step tutorial.[/QUOTE]
Dear BODYPRINT,

I use Medeli DD506 e-drum with Dfh EZDrummer sampler by Reaper host program. Unfortunately the choking function does not work at all. Near Dfh sampler there are IX/Midi_KeyMap and MIDI_OakChoke_MedeliDD506 in the FX chain. I followed your instructions the program 004 and the P-N settings point of view, but I am not successful with it. What is the wrong with me? Maybe the sequence is the problem within the chain? It was not clear for me, have you solved this problem in the past and if yes, how? Help me please!

BR, iszalai

DrumIntoTheNight 07-26-2009 05:04 AM

Where the hell did all these noobs come from?

DrummerJonny 07-26-2009 06:11 AM

was just thinking that....

if you google "DD506 MIDI" then this page is the first result...