Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drum Lessons & Product Reviews (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   my beginner lessons - no kit needed (videos inside) (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546490)

NUTHA JASON 12-22-2007 03:34 PM

my beginner lessons - no kit needed (videos inside)

here are a series of right from the start lessons i've put on my site. the real drumming basics. probably not needed by anyone here on this forum but please show them to your mates so they can learn.

[url]http://jasonhorsler.tripod.com/id91.html[/url]

let me know what you think.

j

The Mites 12-22-2007 04:30 PM

[QUOTE]let me know what you think.[/QUOTE]

Ok.

I think: You are spamming.

Ellx 12-22-2007 04:38 PM

I highly doubt anybody in d&p found this interesting, no offense.

NUTHA JASON 12-22-2007 05:21 PM

yes its for beginner drummers. i'm sure this is the right place for it.

j

ps: spam is selling. i'm not selling but freely offering.

The Mites 12-22-2007 05:56 PM

P.S. You're plugging your own website. That is spam.

EDIT: And come on mate, you call yourself a teacher and you're intending to introduce complete beginners to drum tablature which is unconventional and a pretty big waste of time, and also (unknowingly to the consumer i.e the beginner drummer) a waste of his/her money so conclusively not only is this spam, it is also a scam.

NUTHA JASON 12-22-2007 06:33 PM

no it is not spam. but that is a matter of opinion. waste what money BTW. i'm not selling anything.

also see the links at the bottom of the page? one goes to the part of my site that has how to read drum music, the other goes to the part that has these beats written up.

i'm an excellent drum teacher with a proven track record and qualifications. i know for a fact that simple tab like this is a good first start. its good teaching practice not to overload a pupil with detail when a new concept is introduced. my only aim is to get someone playing drums here. music manuscript is very intimidating to people who don't know it.

j

The Mites 12-22-2007 07:45 PM

[QUOTE]i'm an excellent drum teacher[/QUOTE]

Self-proclamation. For more examples of this, see your username's subtitle "PRO DRUMMER AND TEACHER".

[QUOTE]and qualifications[/QUOTE]

Oh of course. Last professional audition I attended, the first thing I was asked to present were my qualifications.

Notice my use of sarcasm just now.

[QUOTE]i know for a fact that simple tab like this is a good first start.[/QUOTE]

Can you submit evidence to support this "fact"? Or does your self-proclaimed professionalism justify that your opinion equates to fact?

[QUOTE]music manuscript is very intimidating to people who don't know it.[/QUOTE]

As is three-way coordination, and yet you don't hesitate to teach that.

lmldrummer 12-22-2007 08:44 PM

pwnd

NUTHA JASON 12-23-2007 09:16 AM

[QUOTE]As is three-way coordination, and yet you don't hesitate to teach that. [/QUOTE]

yes. one thing at a time. reading later.

but your beligerance is misplaced. Too bad. other people like my free lessons and i owe you nothing so i want indulge in further debate with you.

good day sir.

j

Vannaroth 12-23-2007 09:31 AM

Wow you guys can be real f‪ucking assholes sometimes. No wonder this forum is slowly dying.

Retarded Chipple 12-23-2007 10:01 AM

^^^123

NUTHA JASON 12-23-2007 10:33 AM

[QUOTE]Wow you guys can be real f‪ucking spatulas sometimes. No wonder this forum is slowly dying. [/QUOTE]

the best thing is to ignore nastiness and just keep adding value.

j

axewarrior20 12-23-2007 04:24 PM

Many friends and I agree that sheet music is much more helpful than tabs.

This is an account of many other drummers I know that started out the same as me trying to teach themselves with tabs and ending up taking lessons by someone who taught us sheet music.

Tabs are alright if you don't have the resources to make sheet music, but sheet music is obviously a step-up from tabs.

Vannaroth 12-23-2007 04:37 PM

Anyone who feels the need to argue about sheet music vs tabs after viewing these clips has totally missed the point.

NUTHA JASON 12-24-2007 05:22 AM

thanks van.

i agree axe but, as i said before this is a lesson for non musicians. i wanted the idea to be immediately apparent without having them intimidated by crotchets and quavers. and once again at the end of the lesson i post a link to drum reading lessons for those who want to go further. the co-ordination of these few beats is enough to stomach without having to first go learn the basics of reading music.

j

Sharkey Boy 12-24-2007 06:13 AM

what ever happened to christmas cheer eh!??!

coman santa is coming tomorow! :D

NUTHA JASON 12-24-2007 10:48 AM

yes. hopefully beneath many trees everywhere there are drum related goodies.

j

statdat 12-24-2007 11:42 AM

i thought they were good lessons. although i would encourage students starting out to do these lessons on the kit right away. Just to keep them interested :]

NUTHA JASON 12-24-2007 11:46 AM

absolutely (and thanks BTW). nothing replaces real sticks on real nylon skins. i think that a lot of people are scared of learning the drums, not wanting to splash out on a kit. I'm hoping these drumless lessons can convince them that they do have the co-ordination and that its not so hard to learn drumming.
in the first vid i encourage them to play the beats on a mate's kit.

j

ps: please share the video link with all your mates. happy xmas all.

Retarded Chipple 12-24-2007 12:09 PM

[quote=NUTHA JASON;15732133]real nylon skins[/quote]

Oxymoron...?

NUTHA JASON 12-24-2007 12:53 PM

yep, fresh from the freezer.

j

Carn 12-24-2007 02:19 PM

regarding no kit / beginner lessons; I had to play on a pad / snare for a good 5 months when I started out. sheddin!

MatthewMeredith 12-24-2007 06:21 PM

[QUOTE=NUTHA JASON;15732332]yep, fresh from the freezer.

j[/QUOTE]

Ahhhhh hahhahahaha!

I didn't watch your video, but from what other people are saying, I think it'd be something that I'll disagree with, but MAN that was an awesome line!

:chug:

NUTHA JASON 12-25-2007 12:48 PM

thanks it was honestly stolen from the commedian ghallger the maddest.

watch the vids mate. make me a youtube star like jeff indyke.

j

Obelisk 01-08-2008 05:06 PM

After a good laugh, I actually went and checked out the lessons - and offer critique.

Have the camera placed above you so that your right hand is on the right side of the screen - or record yourself in a mirror - it's easier for people to understand when they are looking at the same perspective as you.

When teaching beginners the basic rock beat - I always found that starting with kick and snare alternating was more effective than the hats and kick together - when you tell a student that all they need to do now is hit the hats everytime hit a drum, it seems to translate better.

I'm also big on teaching from proper written music than "tabs", first lessons with a new student are all about learning 4/4 time, bars and whole notes to eigths - then where they are placed on a staff - once that is learned you can move to a more tab-style nomenclature.

The Mites 01-09-2008 04:30 AM

[QUOTE=NUTHA JASON;15732133]real nylon skins.[/QUOTE]

Mylar, not nylon.

Heads, not skins.

Thankyou.

NUTHA JASON 01-09-2008 05:04 AM

lol. which country are you in?

The Mites 01-09-2008 07:21 AM

Right now I happen to be in Australia. My permanent residence is in England however.

~(lunch_box)~ 01-09-2008 09:12 PM

i agree with mites, all these threads made by NUTHA JASON annoy me greatly because the only point of all of them is to promote himself and his teaching and he manages to sound incredibly cocky and I think that he has decided that he is a god of drumming.
i like modest people which jason obviously is not

quite annoying IMO

NUTHA JASON 01-10-2008 03:31 AM

too bad for you. a lot of people do appreciate the effort i'm puttng in. i get nothing out of it other than the satisfaction of sharing. stay away from my threads if you don't like them.

j