Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rock & Metal (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   The Official R&M Emo/Screamo Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541809)

i am the robots 11-01-2007 11:26 PM

The Official R&M Emo/Screamo Thread

To take the discussion out of the grind thread, and since at least a few R&Mers like screamo.

Anyhow, I'm listening to Ampere's demo right now. So damn good.
[QUOTE=pixiesfanyo;15489156]This thread has only consisted of people saying Off Minor is really good and GO LISTEN TO GOSPEL.

Basically, I'll help break it down..

If you want to get a relatively strong grasp on what the emo/screamo genre is actually about I'd say go back to the original few bands that started it and grab a few albums by them. This would include stuff like:

Influences:
Essentially the influences of the emo/screamo were post-hardcore bands that while sounding similar are more focused on adding a extreme melodic sound to their music.
Good early post-hardcore records are pretty well renowned records like:
Embrace - [I]Embrace[/I]
Fugazi - [I]13 Songs[/I]
Drive Like Jehu - [I]S/T[/I]

All of these post hardcore records essentially capture the sonic half of "emotional hardcore" but the blistering vocals that Guy would make present with Rites of Spring would be far off the radar of most post-hardcore bands. "1st Wave Emo" can be explored with such bands as..

Rites of Spring - [I]End on End[/I]
Gray Matter - [I]Take it Back[/I]
Rain - [I]La Vache Qui Rit [/I]

After the initial D.C. wave, we have a couple of bands that start taking up the blossoming ideas of the post-rock and math rock genres and add them to emo.. therefore making some kind of dynamically effective "emotional hardcore". City of Caterpillar was basically biting alot of these bands when they released their classic LP.

Moss Icon - [I]Lyburnum [/I]
Indian Summer - [I]Discography[/I]
Maximillian Colby -[I] Discography[/I]

Also during the early '90s "emotional hardcore" started making strong pushes into extremely aggressive hardcore almost similar to power violence but really not as sludgy. Bands that really pushed for this include..

Navio Forge - [I]As We Quietly Burn A Hole Into [/I]
Policy of 3 - [I]Dead Dog Summer[/I]
Guyver One - [I]S/T 7"[/I]

Finally the rise of the midwest scene was another effect of the early '90s with bands like Cap'n Jazz fusing a heavy melodic sound with the aggression of the "emotional hardcore" scene.

Cap'n Jazz - [I]Analphabetapolothology [/I]
Boys Life -[I] Boys Life [/I]
Ethel Meserve - [I]The Milton Abandonment[/I]

After these initial splitting of ideas we have the aggressive sounds of Navio Forge and such start paving way for the entire gravity records sound which consists of bands like..

Heroin - [I]Heroin [/I]
Swing Kids - [I]Discography[/I]
Angel Hair - [I]Pregnant with the Senior Class[/I]

From these gravity records bands come the "internet sauvy" bands or essentially most of the bands that have helped really make "emotional hardcore" popular.

Orchid - [I]Chaos is Me[/I]
Saetia - [I]Discography[/I]
Jerome's Dream - [I]Discography[/I]

Once again you have bands building on the genre that Orchid and Saetia have laid out and making it even more eclectic. City of Caterpillar brings back the post-rock influence of old and uses GYBE as the template. Where as Hot Cross starts expanding the vocabulary of what emo can be.

City of Caterpillar - City of Caterpillar
Hot Cross - Cyronics
Gospel - The Moon is a Dead World

Finally the emerging european sound steals from Envy's strong post-rock/post-hardcore backing and merges it with the aggressiveness of emotional hardcore.

Daitro - [I]Laisser vivre les squelettes [/I]
Sed Non Satiata - [I]Le ciel de notre enfance[/I]
Mihai Edrisch - [I]Un Jour Sans Lendemain [/I]

thats basically it.[/QUOTE]

EDIT: PROTIP:
Bands like Alixisonfire, From Fist To Last, The New Tragic, Thursday, Hawthorne Heights, Aiden, Alesana, and whatever else there is that you kids listen to these days isn't screamo, it's gay.

okay 11-01-2007 11:29 PM

off minor is ****ing sick

i am the robots 11-01-2007 11:30 PM

I do not know this Off Minor you speak of. Suggestions?

okay 11-01-2007 11:32 PM

Innominate
The Heat Death Of The Universe

it's hard to pick out specific songs because they're all so good

Angmar 11-01-2007 11:32 PM

I have been considering getting As Roots Undo, I actually kinda liked the song I heard on their myspace.

i am the robots 11-01-2007 11:33 PM

That CD is really good, I recommend it to anybody who isn't a closeminded gayfag.
Thanks, okay.

okay 11-01-2007 11:34 PM

i have both so i could upload them for you or something if you want

i am the robots 11-01-2007 11:35 PM

Yes plz. [email]mappytwardzik@gmail.com[/email]

7SOR 11-02-2007 12:04 AM

[QUOTE=i am the robots;15486944]That CD is really good, I recommend it to anybody who isn't a closeminded gayfag.
Thanks, okay.[/QUOTE]

I remember showing "Crow Quill" to this Dave Matthews loving douchebag and he was like "it's just random notes, it doesn't even sound good". Then his mind expanded a little and he had to be rushed to emergency.

i am the robots 11-02-2007 12:07 AM

Haha, my 10th grade music teacher would have kids bring in CD's every now and then. I brought in [I]As The Roots Undo[/I], everybody was just like, "WTF IS GOING ON?!"

I really don't get when people say things are just, "random notes," when things are even remotely frantic, do they not notice that those, "random," notes follow a repeated pattern?

tuff 11-02-2007 12:19 AM

[QUOTE=i am the robots;15486889]
Amanda Woodward[/QUOTE]

I just got La Décadence de la Décandence today. Pretty awesome stuff.

i am the robots 11-02-2007 12:20 AM

I reviewed that album on the review site, omg.

And yeah, Amanda Woodward is awesome as hell... Bomber Le Show-Bizz is such a good song.

tuff 11-02-2007 12:21 AM

Do they have any other albums? I can't seem to find anything about any. =/

i am the robots 11-02-2007 12:22 AM

They have an EP called Ultramort, and really good demo.

Ultramort is probably their weakest release.

They also did a split with 1905.

okay 11-02-2007 12:23 AM

a couple bands that are missing from that list:
Suis La Lune
Mihai Edrisch
La Quiete
Daitro
Raein
Heroin
Shotmaker
Belle Epoque
I Hate Myself
Neil Perry
page 99
Portraits of Past
Embrace
Rites of Spring
A Day In Black and White

i am the robots 11-02-2007 12:23 AM

/added

okay 11-02-2007 12:28 AM

thanks

its a little late here so ill get to uploading that stuff tomorrow or i cant send it to you over aim right now fi you want

Transient 11-02-2007 12:30 AM

I'm really liking Portrait at the moment. [i]North Ebony[/i] is so awesome.

Stevo: if you do end up getting the CTTS album, be warned, you probably won't like it at all at first. I hated it for like 4 months and then I forcefed it to myself and finally one day it all just clicked as I was listening to [i]Same Shade as Concrete[/i]. Sick band/album.

Can you recommend me some stuff based off some of the emo bands I like mappy?

Hot Cross
CTTS
Portrait
City of Caterpillar
pg. 99

etc.

I'm thinking Off Minor and Gospel, but idk.

okay 11-02-2007 12:31 AM

if you like city of carterpillar and portraits of past you'll like A Day In Black and White

i am the robots 11-02-2007 12:31 AM

JumpTheF**kUp: check out Ampere, Orchid, and Love Lost But Not Forgotten.

As The Roots Undo clicked with me right away, first screamo album I ever heard too.
[QUOTE=okay;15487229]thanks

its a little late here so ill get to uploading that stuff tomorrow or i cant send it to you over aim right now fi you want[/QUOTE]

Just upload it tomorrow if you remember, thanks.

okay 11-02-2007 12:33 AM

**** we cant forget about Indian Summer

Doop 11-02-2007 12:34 AM

Needs more heavy shiz
Union Of Uranus, One Eyed God Prophecy, Shikari, Zann, June Paik.
Needs more Yaphet Kotto as well.

also, La Quiete are godly.

i am the robots 11-02-2007 01:02 AM

How did I forged Union Of Uranus? They're one of my favorite screamo bands.

I think the list is good enough for now, just some names thrown up so stupid kids don't criticize the genre.

Apocalyptic Raids 11-02-2007 01:06 AM

I listen to a few of the bands you listed there. Gospel and Off Minor are probably my favourites, and CTTS are alright but idk with the exception of Same Shade As Concrete I can't into [I]As The Roots Undo[/I] much. I don't find much of it very memorable.

[QUOTE]I do not know this Off Minor you speak of. Suggestions?[/QUOTE]
are you serious?

Tyler 11-02-2007 01:13 AM

Oh man Off Minor ruuuuuules

i am the robots 11-02-2007 01:17 AM

[QUOTE=Apocalyptic Raids;15487344]I listen to a few of the bands you listed there. Gospel and Off Minor are probably my favourites, and CTTS are alright but idk with the exception of Same Shade As Concrete I can't into [I]As The Roots Undo[/I] much. I don't find much of it very memorable.[/quote]
Really? I'm all about Non-Objective Portrait Of Karma and Interview At The Ruins myself.

[quote]are you serious?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I know right?

big80smullet 11-02-2007 01:19 AM

Im downloading Circle Takes The Square right now. I have high hopes.

Apocalyptic Raids 11-02-2007 01:20 AM

[QUOTE]I do not know this Off Minor you speak of. Suggestions?[/QUOTE]
idk I thought you would be all over them like a rash since you seem to like Saetia so much. unless you are being sarcastic in which case I am a fool.

Tyler 11-02-2007 01:20 AM

[QUOTE=big80smullet;15487371]Im downloading Circle Takes The Square right now. I have high hopes.[/QUOTE]

As you should.

[SIZE="1"]A murmur from the ruins echoes softly as the roots undo, and the branch becomes... [/SIZE]

i am the robots 11-02-2007 01:21 AM

[QUOTE=Apocalyptic Raids;15487375]idk I thought you would be all over them like a rash since you seem to like Saetia so much. unless you are being sarcastic in which case I am a fool.[/QUOTE]
I seriously have never heard of them somehow. I'm excited to hear them now.