Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rock & Metal (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Black Metal (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538892)

Silenius 11-11-2007 01:47 AM

I'm listening to it right now, it's better than I remember but the guitars are way too quite and the vocals sound like they were recorded while someone was sleeping next door and he didn't want to wake them up.

Ghoul Hounter - I find very little aggression on the record tbh, though it definitely has a unique atmosphere.

AA-12 11-11-2007 02:22 AM

Really? I find it extremely aggressive sounding. The atmosphere is great, yeah.

btw, i'm Josh/Wotan.

Silenius 11-11-2007 02:40 AM

I guessed that you were Wotan but wasn't 100% sure. :)

The record seems almost to have an ambient quality to me, very droning, not very aggressive imo.

AA-12 11-11-2007 02:46 AM

I should use dark/evil. It's not aggressive per say but that's all I could think of.

Stormrider 11-11-2007 10:33 AM

yeah, it does have a very unique atmopshere.
I need to check out his ambient albums.

And the vocals are excellent.

[QUOTE]Hail Sathanas, we are the Black Legions is ace.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. That's the best Mutiilation I've heard by far.

Eliminator 11-11-2007 10:45 AM

i love the spaciness of DDTM

Totenkrieg 11-11-2007 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=Silenius;15529326]There was even a band called F[I]u[/I]ck Beherit hehe.

Even DDTM isn't as good as it's made out to be. The mixing is laughable, and there's not much extreme about it tbh. If you can seriously explain why it's so good then please do, I think it's just like Mutiilations [I]Remains[/I], laughable production and average music.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how anyone can say DDTM is laughable or on the same level as Mutiilation unless they've only gave it a couple listens. When it came out in 1993 there was nothing like it and there hasn't been anything like it since. When the Norweigan bands were focusing on cleaning up their sound Beherit releases DDTM. The sound on the album is so full and overwhelming, the ambience and the atmospheric feeling of space and nuclear desolation combined with the massive, abrasive and brutal, yet simple and catchy riffs/drumming that create a hypnotic/trance like feeling for the listener. Then you have the completely sick and unique vocal approach on the album which lends itself perfectly to the feeling of the album, he could have done the whole standard black metal raspy vocals but it would not have the same effect as his whispers/spoken word vocal approach. The vocals really add another dimension to the already magnificient album. Everything is executed perfectly and competently, despite popular belief, DDTM isn't the sloppy unproduced mess most first time listeners make it out to be.

Now you explain how any of this relates to the complete mess of the Mutiilation releases. Maybe give DDTM more than a couple good listens before you start bashing it.

pate 11-11-2007 01:06 PM

Opinions, etc.

TojesDolan 11-11-2007 01:14 PM

I want to get Belphegor's the last supper, looks pretty tight.

rattlehead42147 11-11-2007 01:20 PM

ive listened to DDTM, but that's the only thing i've heard from Beherit and I didn't like it. Is the rest of their discography any good? I never see any of their other albums mentioned.

Angmar 11-11-2007 01:23 PM

The Oath of the Black Blood is mentioned from time to time but I doubt it's better from what I have heard.

Totenkrieg 11-11-2007 02:26 PM

[QUOTE=pate;15530578]Opinions, etc.[/QUOTE]

He asked for an explanation and I gave him one.

Silenius 11-11-2007 04:05 PM

[QUOTE=Totenkrieg;15530228]I don't see how anyone can say DDTM is laughable or on the same level as Mutiilation unless they've only gave it a couple listens. When it came out in 1993 there was nothing like it and there hasn't been anything like it since. When the Norweigan bands were focusing on cleaning up their sound Beherit releases DDTM. The sound on the album is so full and overwhelming, the ambience and the atmospheric feeling of space and nuclear desolation combined with the massive, abrasive and brutal, yet simple and catchy riffs/drumming that create a hypnotic/trance like feeling for the listener. Then you have the completely sick and unique vocal approach on the album which lends itself perfectly to the feeling of the album, he could have done the whole standard black metal raspy vocals but it would not have the same effect as his whispers/spoken word vocal approach. The vocals really add another dimension to the already magnificient album. Everything is executed perfectly and competently, despite popular belief, DDTM isn't the sloppy unproduced mess most first time listeners make it out to be.

Now you explain how any of this relates to the complete mess of the Mutiilation releases. Maybe give DDTM more than a couple good listens before you start bashing it.[/QUOTE]

The Mutiilation comparison was basically to say I think it's overrated like some Mutiilation is. I can't stand that on DDTM there is basically only vocals and drums with the guitars amounting to little more than static. I already said the album has a unique atmosphere and I can also say it's not sloppy like Mutiilation is. I listened to the whole CD again without any distractions and it was better than I remember. I still think the vocals aren't particularly good, just because they sound really passive somehow. I can see how people would enjoy them in the atmosphere of the album but I just honestly don't like them.

I wasn't bashing the album, I just said it's overrated imo.

Dargon 11-11-2007 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=Silenius;15529477]I guessed that you were Wotan but wasn't 100% sure. :)

The record seems almost to have an ambient quality to me, very droning, not very aggressive imo.[/QUOTE]
yeah I don't know why Josh was saying it's aggressive. Maybe he's thinking of TOoBB.

i am the robots 11-11-2007 07:37 PM

Well he corrected himself saying 'evil' or whatever:
[QUOTE=Ghoul Hunter;15529486]I should use dark/evil. It's not aggressive per say but that's all I could think of.[/QUOTE]

Eliminator 11-11-2007 08:02 PM

[quote]I can't stand that on DDTM there is basically only vocals and drums with the guitars amounting to little more than static[/quote] I re-listened to it early today, and I could clearly hear the guitars and even some bass. They usually sound like static if you're listening to the album at lower volumes.

FatalEnergy 11-11-2007 08:13 PM

Maybe he's going deaf?

Totenkrieg 11-11-2007 09:06 PM

Yeah, I have absolutely no trouble hearing the guitar or bass on that album.

Silenius 11-11-2007 09:14 PM

Well I [I]can[/I] hear the guitar (and bass to some extent), but not distinctly what they're playing, it's too low to distinguish for me. And I listened to it quite loud on sound isolation studio moniter headphones so I doubt that's the problem.

Totenkrieg 11-11-2007 09:17 PM

Everything is distinct through my shitty 10$ earbud headphones.

AA-12 11-11-2007 10:50 PM

I forgot to mention it, the new Mutiilation is very good. Best BM album in some time. They managed to pull it off in a really original way. Anyone else heard it?

Angmar 11-11-2007 10:53 PM

I have no interest in hearing it whatsoever. :lol:

AA-12 11-11-2007 10:53 PM

Why?

Angmar 11-11-2007 10:55 PM

I hated [I]Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul[/I].

i am the robots 11-11-2007 10:55 PM

I have! I have!

And yeah, it's real good.

AA-12 11-11-2007 10:56 PM

[QUOTE=i am the robots;15533030]I have! I have!

And yeah, it's real good.[/QUOTE]

:)

Seriously man, check it out. It's nothing like what they've done before and really good.

Angmar 11-11-2007 10:59 PM

I'll give it a shot I suppose, but if it's as sloppy and laughably bad as the early stuff I will be very angry. :mad:

FatalEnergy 11-11-2007 11:00 PM

The only LLN band I ever really gave a **** about was Vlad Tepes

de svarta trollkarlarna 11-11-2007 11:01 PM

Summoning - [i]Marching Homewards[/i]

Summoning are one of my favorite black metal groups. I will that this song play when I become cremated and my ashes are scattered. :chug:

AA-12 11-11-2007 11:02 PM

[QUOTE=Angmar;15533042]I'll give it a shot I suppose, but if it's as sloppy and laughably bad as the early stuff I will be very angry. :mad:[/QUOTE]

It's not at all. Everything is very well done and clear produced.