Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Ska (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185472)

Ghostfire3 03-12-2006 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=the-UK-ska-scene]Ohhhh fit when are they playing? Nothing like a bit o'ska in the summer. I saw Pama International the other day at Cargo, was sweet. They were supporting Mad Professor but we couldn't stick around for him. Was some mint dub/ska DJs playing between bands though. & Pama did that King Django cover they always do....Who's going to see Django in 2 weeks at Underworld? I'm well excited!

Bloody AMAZING gigs coming up, it's truly gig season again, I'm gonna be on the breadline...
Youngblood Brass Band
Arrogant Sons Of Bitches
The Filaments/Deadline
King Django/Babar Luck
Planet Smashers/Captain Everything!/Kenisia/Random Hand/Catch-It Kebabs
Nekromantix
Slackers
A Billion Ernies/The Junglists
Sonic Boom Six/Random Heroes
Bouncing Souls
Suicide Bid/Kebabs etc.
Rx Bandits
Me First & The Gimme Gimmes
The Beat/The Big
Smoke Like A Fish/Splitters/Skylar/Duff Muffin/Kebabs
Toasters/Skaface/The Scrub/The King Blues
Suicide Machines

I'm seriously dead excited :D[/QUOTE]

/jealous

POINTLESS5448 03-13-2006 11:03 AM

the only ska band coming here relatively soon is catch-22 and i dont think im going to go see them.

the-UK-ska-scene 03-13-2006 03:24 PM

[QUOTE=sketchyjoe]Ska Cubano are playing 2nd June. Did you go to Gogol Bordello on Friday?

I'm definitely going to The Bouncing Souls, The Filaments/Deadline and Against Me! I'm probably going to Reverend Horton Heat, The Slackers, Latterman, The Toasters and The Grab[u]a[/u]ss Charlestons.[/QUOTE]

Nah I didn't go to Gogol on Friday! I went to see them last week at Portsmouth - [url]http://scuffedculture.skascene.org/gogol%20bordello%20wedge.htm[/url] - I had a ticket for London but my friend couldn't come with me cus it was sold out on the day, and I just wasn't in the mood for a packed out Astoria alone, so I sold my ticket outside. Did you go? If so, how was it?

I wanted to go to Bouncing Souls, but my mate's putting on the Suicide Bid show on the same day (their first ever show) & he kind of made me promise I would go. plus it's cheaper and more bands are playing including some mates so I should go really :upset: I might go to Against Me!, my mate said she had a spare free ticket but I haven't heard from her in a while so we'll see..... When/where is Reverend Horton Heat?

Catchthe22 - yeah Suicide Machines are playing the town by me as well, at this little venue with like 200 capacity, in July. It's gonna get TOO hot and sweaty, I mean when Streetlight Manifesto played there it was like April and it still got so hot their drummer nearly had an asthma attack. So this will be interesting. & I think Captain Everything! are playing too so we're all gonna die.

sketchyjoe 03-13-2006 04:02 PM

Gogol Bordello were great despite the fact they didn't play my favourite songs and I really don't like the Astoria. The best bit was when the lead singer took the big drum from the dancers/percussionists, put it on top of the crowd, then surfed on it.

Reverend Horton Heat's the 14th April at the Mean Fiddler. I'm not sure whether I'll go or not as it clashes with the Grab[u]a[/u]ss Charlestons.

Jessizzle 03-15-2006 03:46 PM

A friend and I was wondering what their name meant, since it has her last name in it, Gogol. Do you have any idea?

Catchthe22 03-15-2006 08:28 PM

Aquabats announced a few more dates. Boise, ID; Hollywood, CA with Streetlight. Chicago, IL; Boston, MA; New York City, NY with Whole Wheat Bread and the Aggrolites.

Anyone else check out the Fashion Zombies music video? I thought it was great.

sketchyjoe 03-16-2006 03:53 AM

[QUOTE=PaintJessGreen]A friend and I was wondering what their name meant, since it has her last name in it, Gogol. Do you have any idea?[/QUOTE]
Gogol is just a surname I think. The only vaguely famous person with that name is some Russian realist writer from the 19th century. A Bordello is a brothel.

the-UK-ska-scene 03-16-2006 03:02 PM

Took the words from my mouth. Yeah Gogol is a Ukrainian author.

-Superman- 03-16-2006 08:10 PM

My Sonic Boom Six cd just arrived :D

Does anyone know if they did a cd with the Mighty Mighty Bosstones cause i keep hearing about it but cant find anything about it...

the-UK-ska-scene 03-17-2006 09:51 AM

No. They have released 2 CDs, the album in your hands and an EP called Turbo. I think they're releasing a comp with Turbo on, but it's not out yet.

CardCheat 03-19-2006 08:12 PM

I was browsing around on garageband.com and found this ska band called Charlie Sez. I downloaded a few of their songs and I really like it.

[url]http://www.garageband.com/artist/charliesez[/url]

Kithkin 03-19-2006 09:31 PM

Yeah, they are pretty good.

the-UK-ska-scene 03-21-2006 06:08 PM

Ooooo just got in from seeing The King Blues. They were BLOODY good! Seemed nice as well. Got everyone singing along. Then some crap bands came on so we went to some all you can eat Chinese off Leicester Square and rammed ourselves. Success!

-Superman- 03-21-2006 07:41 PM

So i got a Mr. Review cd yesterday "One Way Ticket To Skaville" which i really liked... It reminded me of The Toasters a little bit... Anyone else like Mr. Review?

POINTLESS5448 03-21-2006 08:50 PM

never heard of them. if theyre anything like the toasters then ill like them for sure.

sketchyjoe 03-22-2006 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=the-UK-ska-scene]Ooooo just got in from seeing The King Blues. They were BLOODY good! Seemed nice as well. Got everyone singing along. Then some crap bands came on so we went to some all you can eat Chinese off Leicester Square and rammed ourselves. Success![/QUOTE]
Yeah, they're awesome.

the-UK-ska-scene 03-27-2006 05:50 PM

Ahh, King Django last night! Couldn't....Stop.....Dancing! It was soooo good. I think death by dancing would be the best. It was sweat fest 3000, even though we were wearing shorts and t shirts and stuff, you just can't stay fresh in a hot venue when dancing for an hour non stop.

Kithkin 04-02-2006 03:42 AM

The Flatliners are opening for the Loved Ones and Catch 22 at my old college town on the 9th. Thank god.

And I've been in Japan for the past week and a half, in case anybody wondered.

POINTLESS5448 04-03-2006 08:26 AM

sweet! why?

-Superman- 04-03-2006 06:00 PM

You should have checked out Potshot...

So i found this great new ska band called Too Many Crooks... Anyone heard of them?

the-UK-ska-scene 04-04-2006 02:55 PM

Yeah I know of them but I haven't seen them yet. That'll all change on May 20th, though :thumb:

oh ps [url]http://scuffedculture.skascene.org/[/url] about bloody time ayy!

Kithkin 04-09-2006 03:39 PM

I put those updates on the front page, but they aren't ordered yet

Kithkin 04-20-2006 12:31 AM

I guess no one likes ska anymore:(

before Streetlight Head on tour they're playing one show in Allentown by themselves (I think.)

Since I have nothing else to contribute right now.

[url=www.cantmeetquota.com/blog]Blog[/url]

the-UK-ska-scene 04-20-2006 09:42 AM

How come nobody likes ska anymore? I guess they all forgot what we were fighting for. They're grown up now and they wanna be respected, and be a part of the business we rejected. I like things how they used to be and now I'm doing what I can to save the scene.

ps That link doesn't work for me Kith.

halfdeadhippo 04-20-2006 10:00 AM

Forces of Evil ftw.

ps try copying that link and pasting it into your address bar.

Catchthe22 04-20-2006 02:35 PM

I went to that link and speaking of Stupid Movie Names, there is a movie coming out later this year called Snakes On A Plane. Rumor has it that Samual L Jackson took the role after hearing the title(without reading or knowing the storyline). The people were going to change the title but Jackson threaten to leave if they did.

the-UK-ska-scene 04-20-2006 05:33 PM

[url]http://www.myspace.com/babylonpartymachine[/url]
bosh!

Kithkin 04-21-2006 12:05 AM

a) mx screws up links if you just type them out but if you do this [url=www.cantmeetquota.com/blog]www.canmeetquota.com/blog[/url] you're golden
b) that dam[size=2]n[/size]able Matt Wixson stole my idea. This is stretching the bounds of my love for him mightily
c) Jeff Rowland of Overcompensating posted about Snakes on a Plane shortly after it was announced and made [url=http://www.wigu.com/overcompensating/2005/09/snakes-on-plane.html]awesome shirts[/url]

Catchthe22 04-21-2006 08:59 PM

Any good ska instrumentals out there that can be thrown in my direction? Im trying to make a playlist/mix of them and I only got 8-9 for a total of 20minutes.

wakethedead 04-22-2006 09:16 AM

[QUOTE=-Superman-]You should have checked out Potshot...

So i found this great new ska band called Too Many Crooks... Anyone heard of them?[/QUOTE]

Potshot were cool, then they went and split up. have you heard another japanese ska band called RudeBones?

Too Many Crooks are great, only got one CD but I love it