Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Casual - Once more with feeling (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571968)

Epidemechanical 06-14-2011 08:09 AM

no pick something hard

gaslight 06-14-2011 08:32 AM

Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell

FunkMetalBass 06-14-2011 11:00 AM

[quote=gaslight;18540527]Ah right, so a licensed Fender bridge would be more?[/quote]

Oh God yes. Official Fender parts are the biggest ripoff ever. Something like $10 each for the pots. There are a million brands out there, probably with a smaller tolerance and built better, for a third of the price.

That bridge I posted, Raayl, was from Bass Parts Resource
[url]http://basspartsresource.com/images/large/005-3309-000.jpg[/url]

I've had good luck ordering from those guys, and at about $30, it's reasonably priced.

I think the Hipshot A-style bridge might fit the back three screws as well, but I can't guarantee it. I'm such a Hipshot fan. Those guys make everything so damn well.

gaslight 06-14-2011 11:17 AM

Paying for a brand name always shits me.

Good news about my 5 string, I can get that puppy for about $1500 so that'll be mine in a few weeks. Tasty. If I like the Nordstrands I may look at getting them in my other basses but in the dual coil or fat stack variety.

Epidemechanical 06-14-2011 11:24 AM

irony of your post gaslight

palpable

fatbandit 06-14-2011 11:29 AM

[quote=Epidemechanical;18540432]i dont use any effects on bass. just DI, an EQ with a 30 hz HPF and loshelf boost 1.7 dB starting at around 300 hz, and a hard comp to make the WF even.[/quote]
Oh shi', okay. I'll give that a wee go. Need Glassjaw tones for recording with my precision direct nowwwwww :(

gaslight 06-14-2011 11:33 AM

[QUOTE=Epidemechanical;18541065]irony of your post gaslight

palpable[/QUOTE]

$1500 for a bass is nothing in my book.

$3G and up is pretty shady.

Anyway, my evaluation of prices is to divide the price by the use I'll get out of something.

$1500 for a bass that I'll get use out of every day works out to just over $4 a day for one year, that's pretty sweet for the use of a bass. Especially considering I'll be using it for way more than one year.

FunkMetalBass 06-14-2011 12:25 PM

Price is arbitrary as everyone has a different sense of personal value. If I saw myself playing out a lot more than I do, I'd get a custom Ritter. Instead, I have to wait for the girlfriend to graduate dental school, pay off student loans, then marry her and her rich self to get a Ritter. :)

FunkMetalBass 06-14-2011 09:49 PM

I have a friend who recommended me to another friend for full-length studio bass work. I'm cleaning my strings on my basses now. I just hope the guy calls me - I'd really like the opportunity, and some side pay for tuition wouldn't hurt.

Convectuoso 06-14-2011 11:58 PM

[quote=fatbandit;18541070]Oh shi', okay. I'll give that a wee go. Need Glassjaw tones for recording with my precision direct nowwwwww :([/quote]
I really like Decapitator by Soundtoys for gritting bass guitar up. But that costs money so it probably won't work for you.

Remember, your bass tone solo has nothing to do with the mix. I went through a whole mix with a client and never complained about the bass (in fact he liked it) until I put it in solo. And it was basically all mids even a bit farty. But it cut through nicely for the song.

I'd try like a freeware bass plug in.

Really, the beezneez in bass amp plug ins is Amplitube Ampeg SVX or whatever it is. I really want it but other stuff comes first.

Okay guys, what are your thoughts on the Martin LX1?

fatbandit 06-15-2011 12:30 AM

Yeah, I've been looking at the SVX too. It's like £70 though. Which I don't mind paying if I'll use it a lot, it's just finding it. I'll look at that Decapitator as well. I don't mind paying for things if they're good and I'll use them.

fatbandit 06-15-2011 12:35 AM

The Ampeg one is definitely cheaper though haha

Epidemechanical 06-15-2011 05:54 AM

[QUOTE=fatbandit;18541070]Oh shi', okay. I'll give that a wee go. Need Glassjaw tones for recording with my precision direct nowwwwww :([/QUOTE]

you already had glassjaw tone

all you have to do is crunch up, distort, and EQ out bass/treble of one bass track and blend it with the DI track like you had in that one song

Epidemechanical 06-15-2011 06:06 AM

or get a jazzbass lmfao

The Transporter 06-15-2011 07:39 AM

jazz direct is glassjaw tone central

gaslight 06-15-2011 08:28 AM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;18541139]Price is arbitrary as everyone has a different sense of personal value. If I saw myself playing out a lot more than I do, I'd get a custom Ritter. Instead, I have to wait for the girlfriend to graduate dental school, pay off student loans, then marry her and her rich self to get a Ritter. :)[/QUOTE]

I think my method can work for everyone though, because the final decision is still theirs to make.

Simplified it's more like "How much is this (divided by) how much will I use it (and then) does that sound worth it?"

Females are incapable of using this formula.

gaslight 06-15-2011 08:29 AM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;18541676]I have a friend who recommended me to another friend for full-length studio bass work. I'm cleaning my strings on my basses now. I just hope the guy calls me - I'd really like the opportunity, and some side pay for tuition wouldn't hurt.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean full-length studio bass work?

Go for it regardless, teaching money is an excellent supplement.

Just unboxed my Filter Twin. Anticipation.

FunkMetalBass 06-15-2011 08:39 AM

[quote=gaslight;18542043]What do you mean full-length studio bass work?

Go for it regardless, teaching money is an excellent supplement.

Just unboxed my Filter Twin. Anticipation.[/quote]

By "full-length" I meant that the was recording a full-length album, as opposed to the last few times I've been asked to do session studio work where it was just 4 and 5 song EP's.

gaslight 06-15-2011 08:51 AM

Oh right I get you, yeah that's heaps cool. I thought you meant teaching studio but now I see by tuition you meant your own school fees.

Sounds like a lot of fun :).

gaslight 06-15-2011 09:40 AM

Man this Filter Twin is siiiick. I just had a bit of a play around with it for maybe an hour, learned a lot about tweaking it already. Can't wait to pair it with the Octamizer and get some dirty grooves going.

Epidemechanical 06-15-2011 09:42 AM

i really dont get why people hire bassists for the studio

does the band have a guitar player? is he so limited he has no crossover capabilities? being good at bass isn't hard if youre good at guitar

it doesn't really work the other way though

and gaslight how come you never post music i bet youre really good

gaslight 06-15-2011 10:01 AM

Because the bassist they hire will (hopefully) a do a better job than the guitarist would. But you know, you're opening up a whole can of worms there like, why hire a drummer when they could get a computer to do it, why hire an engineer when their music isn't worth recording anyway.

Why all the pearls, why all the hair, why anything.

I know some great guitarists who can hop on bass and do a great job, but I also know some great guitarists who hop on a bass and shit it up.

Nah man I'm shit at music.

The Transporter 06-15-2011 10:31 AM

i doubt they are truly great guitarist then

FunkMetalBass 06-15-2011 10:32 AM

[quote=gaslight;18542089]Because the bassist they hire will (hopefully) a do a better job than the guitarist would. But you know, you're opening up a whole can of worms there like, why hire a drummer when they could get a computer to do it, why hire an engineer when their music isn't worth recording anyway.

Why all the pearls, why all the hair, why anything.

I know some great guitarists who can hop on bass and do a great job, but I also know some great guitarists who hop on a bass and shit it up.

Nah man I'm shit at music.[/quote]

When I write a guitar riff, I have a hard time coming up with a bass riff that is creative and not solely comprised of root playing. The addition of a bassist allows some minor co-composition. Or maybe he wants a lot of slap playing, and I've never seen a guitarist that can do it with any sort of decency.

Epidemechanical 06-15-2011 10:34 AM

that's not an argument

[I]"I"[/I] can't come up with a bassline when I wrote guitar =/= [I]"Nobody"[/I] can come up with a bassline when they wrote the guitar.

There are literally thousands of examples of awesome basslines written by the composer and not an instrumentalist. See: any classical piece, for example. In fact, the rise of instrumentalism (really with the rise of jazz and blues in the early 20th century) arguably dumbed down the role of bass and supportive instruments in favor of soloist focuses improvisation.

Also,

[I]"I've"[/I] never seen a guitar player write a good bassline =/= [I]"No guitar player"[/I] can write a good bassline.

Pro example of excellent cross-functional band: Protest the Hero.

gaslight 06-15-2011 10:35 AM

So in order to be a great guitarist, you also have to be a great bassist?

You do have a point Liam, it doesn't take a great bassist to write a great bassline. That's because when it comes to writing music, no matter what instrument you play, you are stepping into the role of the composer when you create a line from scratch. Some people can fill those shoes, some can't.

There are musicians who have great chops but not necessarily any ability as a composer as such, and you can find drummers who have a better ear for harmony than guitarists do. There are all kinds of different factors that effect the kind and quality of musician someone is.

I'm so glad we're all arguing again guys :).

Epidemechanical 06-15-2011 10:38 AM

where did I say that? nowhere, that's where. nor did I even slightly imply it.

it's not my responsibility to prove why you don't need to hire bassists - that's a negative. it's logically impossible to prove.

it's your responsibility to prove why bassists are necessary to be hired, and so far you've done a rather poor job illustrating that proof.

The Transporter 06-15-2011 10:39 AM

if they shit up bass when they hop on it as you described there is no way they are a great guitarist

but then again thats subjective

gaslight 06-15-2011 10:40 AM

[QUOTE=Epidemechanical;18542119]where did I say that? nowhere, that's where. nor did I even slightly imply it.

it's not my responsibility to prove why you don't need to hire bassists - that's a negative. it's logically impossible to prove.

it's your responsibility to prove why bassists are necessary to be hired, and so far you've done a rather poor job illustrating that proof.[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to prove that am I?

Epidemechanical 06-15-2011 10:40 AM

if it is indeed purely subjective then that is further reason to not hire a bassist.

in order for it to be reasonable to justify shelling out cash to hire an instrumentalist there would have to be some objective way to prove that its worth it. in most cases its simply not possible.