Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Punk (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The Official Against Me! Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389805)

Anarcho Poser 03-05-2006 10:31 PM

[QUOTE=sketchyjoe]When they're playing in London they're being supported by Murder By Death and No Choice.

Murder By Death, despite the awful name, are pretty good from the few songs I've heard. Quite dark and atmospheric but also a cool traditional vibe. A bit like a more alternative The Devil Makes Three.

No Choice are a Dillinger Four-esque political punk band from Wales who are good at what they do.

It should be awesome.[/QUOTE]
Murder by Death played with them the first time I saw them. Their cello player is awesome, and vaguely attractive. They aren't too bad of a band either, though nothing I'd write home about.

Weezerfan_returns 03-06-2006 11:37 PM

[QUOTE=good rats]I agree as well.

RAR has gotten kinda boring. SFAFC is ok. But I'm loving ATEC at the moment.[/QUOTE]

YOU'RE ALL WRONG! The acoustic EP,and Crime is where its at.

But as for albums, i'ma gonna break this down...
RAR>SFAFC>Cowboy.

As the eternal cowboy was my first AM! album, and i love it to death. Most bands couldn't throw an album of that calibur together to save their lives.

But RAR is just heaven, songs like Jordan's First Choice, Pints of Guiness, and 8 Hours of Sleep are in a league of their own. Clarity is really good, but not in the way the other two are. I think that with SFAFC, they show so much growth. The "folk" feel is starting to wear off, but it's somehow not a bad thing. I think that instead of "selling out" or "losing cred" against me is just moving on. Good for them.

TakeWarning 03-07-2006 03:31 AM

[QUOTE=Weezerfan_returns]YOU'RE ALL WRONG! The acoustic EP,and Crime is where its at.

RAR>SFAFC>Cowboy.

As the eternal cowboy was my first AM! album, and i love it to death. Most bands couldn't throw an album of that calibur together to save their lives.

But RAR is just heaven, songs like Jordan's First Choice, Pints of Guiness, and 8 Hours of Sleep are in a league of their own. Clarity is really good, but not in the way the other two are. I think that with SFAFC, they show so much growth. The "folk" feel is starting to wear off, but it's somehow not a bad thing. I think that instead of "selling out" or "losing cred" against me is just moving on. Good for them.[/QUOTE]

We're not "wrong", we're all entitled our opinions.

DaveToopes 03-07-2006 03:00 PM

[QUOTE=Weezerfan_returns]YOU'RE ALL WRONG! The acoustic EP,and Crime is where its at.

RAR>SFAFC>Cowboy.

But RAR is just heaven, songs like Jordan's First Choice, Pints of Guiness, and 8 Hours of Sleep are in a league of their own. Clarity is really good, but not in the way the other two are. I think that with SFAFC, they show so much growth. The "folk" feel is starting to wear off, but it's somehow not a bad thing. I think that instead of "selling out" or "losing cred" against me is just moving on. Good for them.[/QUOTE]

You're a looney.

Liebensaft 03-07-2006 03:03 PM

/writing a song having a lot to do with Against Me! at this very moment

Weezerfan_returns 03-07-2006 07:13 PM

[QUOTE=DaveToopes]You're a looney.[/QUOTE]

yeah.. I wrote that like, really late at night. I guess I am.

I want some toquitos!

Liebensaft 03-07-2006 07:21 PM

Favored bands from a time not long gone
Now fortune they've found, and from my shelves they've been torn
Green in their eyes, they've failed to see
Stricken with fame, they're now dead to me

Former practicioners of anarchy
Flooding the airwaves of cable tv
Swayed by their mounting greed
I raise my glass to you....dearest Against Me!

You're losing touch, Mr. Gabel, betraying your roots
I'm searching for a former clarity not found in music video shoots
Do you remember "Crime...?" You used to give 'em hell
You really ought to reinvent yourself

Not dying for what you worked, merely being paid
Now walking is only honest every couple of days
Gaining new fans faster than they could ever be lost
You've done yourself well, Tom, but at what cost?

Role models of last week occupying the garbage can
Say so long to another once-faithful fan
Major labels and mediocre albums are where one must draw a line
I'll find a new band to like for a month before they turn into greedy corporate swine

Mr. Gabel, I sing this song for you
I used to believe the words you sung held true
Your ideals ripped and faded like your designer jeans
Can you still recall quite what anarchy means?

Flooding the airwaves of MTV
I'll really miss you, dearest Against Me!

DaveToopes 03-07-2006 07:23 PM

Post that in songwriting too.

Liebensaft 03-07-2006 07:28 PM

I'm getting there, poop.

viva la revolucion 03-09-2006 10:20 PM

[QUOTE=Crack-Rock-Steady]Favored bands from a time not long gone
Now fortune they've found, and from my shelves they've been torn
Green in their eyes, they've failed to see
Stricken with fame, they're now dead to me

Flooding the airwaves of cable tv
I raise my glass to you....dearest Against Me!

You're losing touch, Mr. Gabel, betraying your roots
I'm searching for a former clarity not found in music video shoots
Do you remember "Crime...?" You used to give 'em hell
You really ought to reinvent yourself

Not dying for what you worked, merely being paid
Now walking is only honest every couple of days
Gaining new fans faster than they could ever be lost
You've done yourself well, Tom, but at what cost?

Role models of last week occupying the garbage can
Say so long to another once-faithful fan
Major labels and mediocre albums are where one must draw a line
I'll find a new band to like for a month before they turn into greedy corporate swine

Mr. Gabel, I sing this song for you
I used to believe the words you sung held true
Your ideals ripped and faded like your designer jeans
Can you still recall quite what anarchy means?

Flooding the airwaves of MTV
I'll really miss you, dearest Against Me![/QUOTE]

nice, if i were you id do something about this line "I'll find a new band to like for a month before they turn into greedy corporate swine". its too long and doesnt fit the rythm of the rest of the song, shorten it.

Henrik 03-10-2006 10:12 AM

I just got Crime on cd...
I ordered on noidearecords.com hopping that they would sell me the pix version with burn burn burn on it.
Unfortunately I got the digipack version that is made by Sabot... To my great surprise though, when I played it for the first time it ended out having burn burn burn as the last track, even though it wasn't the pix version....
I thought that only the planet-it-x had Burn burn burn.... What had happened?

By the way: Crime is awesome. I still like the RaR version of Walking is still honest the best though.
I also got the acoustic ep. Indeed awesome as well. Especially We did it all for Don, I love that track.

AIRIC 03-10-2006 11:29 AM

We Did It All For Don is such an amazing song. I listened to taht like 6 times last night.

nitzguy 03-10-2006 03:18 PM

it is fantastical

imnotapunk 03-12-2006 10:13 AM

Im going to see AM! next week and i was wandering if someone could give me an idea of what songs they most lickley to play as i now most of there old stuff realy well but ive only listened to there new album a couple of times and obveasly they are mostly going to play new stuff thanks

ThisUserIsAPipebomb 03-12-2006 10:22 AM

That song is great.

The song is just called Burn, and I'm pretty sure it was released on all cd versions of "Crime..."

So I made a cd with "Crime...", "Disco Before the Breakdown" and "Acoustic EP" (like I'm sure a great deal of other people have made) and it's the best AM! cd there is.

AIRIC 03-12-2006 11:19 AM

[QUOTE=imnotapunk]Im going to see AM! next week and i was wandering if someone could give me an idea of what songs they most lickley to play as i now most of there old stuff realy well but ive only listened to there new album a couple of times and obveasly they are mostly going to play new stuff thanks[/QUOTE]

They'll probably play half RAR and ATEC stuff and half SFAFC stuff.

asdf 03-12-2006 11:22 AM

I've been really wanting to see against me! in concert again. I know it's going to be quite awhile, though.

Looking back on it, when I saw them in concert for the second time, it was absolutely amazing.

ThisUserIsAPipebomb 03-12-2006 11:24 AM

[QUOTE=asdf]I've been really wanting to see against me! in concert again. I know it's going to be quite awhile, though.

Looking back on it, when I saw them in concert for the second time, it was absolutely amazing.[/QUOTE]Theyre coming to MI in April with Alkaline Trio.

Liebensaft 03-12-2006 11:27 AM

I'm going to see them next Tuesday. Then again in April.

asdf 03-12-2006 03:03 PM

[QUOTE=ThievesandBastards]Theyre coming to MI in April with Alkaline Trio.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but Royal Oak is pretty far from me. Going on a sunday is unlikely for me. I know some of my friends will make it out there, but I wont.

Rise Me Up 03-12-2006 03:14 PM

[QUOTE=asdf]Yeah, but Royal Oak is pretty far from me. Going on a sunday is unlikely for me. I know some of my friends will make it out there, but I wont.[/QUOTE]

WHAT? This isn't the DIY thread.

TakeWarning 03-13-2006 02:56 AM

[QUOTE=Skrunnch]They'll probably play half RAR and ATEC stuff and half SFAFC stuff.[/QUOTE]

That's what they played when I saw them like two weeks ago.

Liebensaft 03-13-2006 02:14 PM

[QUOTE=viva la revolucion]nice, if i were you id do something about this line "I'll find a new band to like for a month before they turn into greedy corporate swine". its too long and doesnt fit the rythm of the rest of the song, shorten it.[/QUOTE]
That was there on purpose because of how childish it sounds, and I thought it'd go well with the personality of most of the people discrediting Against Me!.

asdf 03-13-2006 04:18 PM

[QUOTE=Rise Me Up]WHAT? This isn't the DIY thread.[/QUOTE]
:(

Fine. I'll go back to where I belong.

ThisUserIsAPipebomb 03-13-2006 09:02 PM

[QUOTE=asdf]Yeah, but Royal Oak is pretty far from me. Going on a sunday is unlikely for me. I know some of my friends will make it out there, but I wont.[/QUOTE]
Oh. Dang.

Royal Oak is a half-hour for me.

AIRIC 03-13-2006 09:02 PM

No one dies, READY to die just yetttttttttttt.

viva la revolucion 03-13-2006 11:34 PM

[QUOTE=Skrunnch]No one dies, READY to die just yetttttttttttt.[/QUOTE]

uhhhhhhhh what?

thepo 03-14-2006 12:02 AM

[QUOTE=Skrunnch]No one dies, READY to die just yetttttttttttt.[/QUOTE]

No I'm not ready to die just yet?

rawdog 03-14-2006 05:26 AM

I saw them in melbourne, australia about 2 weeks ago and compared to last time the played, it wasn;t good, i was let down. I mean it was still and okay show but last time the whole place had this atmosphere, this feel, and against me! were so into it and all. I donno what happened, hopefully it was just a one off, spose i wont knwo unless they come out here again before they break up, which i wouldn't be suprised if they did. Before the show, topm just looked like he had, had enough, he looked really kinda angry, maybe even sad, it wasnt like a "hey im touring around the world with my friends, this is great look"

AIRIC 03-14-2006 02:39 PM

[QUOTE=thepo]No I'm not ready to die just yet?[/QUOTE]

It's funny, in the 8th grade I listened to that album 3 or 4 times every day, and I claim that AM! are my favorite band (though not as much anymore) and I still constantly screw up lyrics.