Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   History (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   My Solo Album...cd help (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356604)

ChickenMcFicken 06-25-2005 12:30 AM

You actually made a good point, the indie/emo/whatever other genre you put scene in the bay area is quite strong, I think you could definitely make some money in the bay area. But 30k is a lot. Remember thats like every household in the Och owning one of them. I'd start small and move up. Personally I don't like it, but I'm sure there has to be someone that does, if you do.

I think senators count one letter as like 500 people's vote, remember that, but definitely I wouldnt go as far as 30k. Try a few and see where it goes. Also, I'd find a real band instead of those backing tracks, then you could do some gigs and get a following

Hadji 06-25-2005 12:30 AM

[QUOTE=apromisingyear]Okay...

if you all want to doubt me and shoot it down then fine. I already see you're dead set on it anyway. but where i go with this isn't dependent on what the "musicians" see it as...its what the "fans" see it as.

What is good to a musician isnt always good to a fan and visca versa. Why DO you think Good Charlotte sell millions of albums but almost every musician has a deep hatred for them? They appeal to the fans. Why do you think Vai doesnt have videos in full rotation on VH1 or MTV or what have you? because he doesnt appeal to the average music fan. he appeals to guitarists. END OF STORY[/QUOTE]
What you are failing to see is that the music you are playing is the type of music that appeals to gutiarists. Good Charlotte sells CD's because of their catchy melodies and their looks. Also because of their lyrics. You have no lyrics, no real drums, no real bass, and no decent recording methods. What incentive do people have to buy your CD? It's sub-par quality and they'll have to wait for you to mail it to them to get it. I'm just trying to save you some money here.

apromisingyear 06-25-2005 12:31 AM

[QUOTE=the21st_fret]So you're saying you're perfectly happy with putting out Sh1t, as long as people like you and you make money????? G0Dam you, you aren't even a musician, you're a poser....[/QUOTE]

yeah im a poser...got to hide that simple plan poster...better get the guy in here how is recording the guitars for me and giving me credit...you're absolutely right. :rolleyes:

Zed_Leppelin 06-25-2005 12:33 AM

I think its safe to say APY is the most arrogant person on the planet.

GuitarSlinger 06-25-2005 12:33 AM

please learn how to get around the swear filter, you look like a douche bag now

SRTracer 06-25-2005 12:33 AM

if you all want to doubt me and shoot it down then fine. I already see you're dead set on it anyway. but where i go with this isn't dependent on what the "musicians" see it as...its what the "fans" see it as.

What is good to a musician isnt always good to a fan and visca versa. Why DO you think Good Charlotte sell millions of albums but almost every musician has a deep hatred for them? They appeal to the fans. Why do you think Vai doesnt have videos in full rotation on VH1 or MTV or what have you? because he doesnt appeal to the average music fan. he appeals to guitarists. END OF STORY[/QUOTE]

That's very true, but your music IS instrumental rock and it's hard to sell that type of thing. Satch is incredible and he doesn't sell millions of albums. Starting out dude, you're going to be set behind so much money just for fronting the cost of the CD's as well as eventually employing people to get these CD's ready. I hope it goes well if you do the full 30,000 but 500 is much smarter- 1000 max. No matter how great your music is, and how listenable it is, it will take a long time for you to gain full exposure to the public and to sell even 1000 copies. I sure hope you make some good decisions with this and fare well from this.

GuitarSlinger 06-25-2005 12:33 AM

[QUOTE=Zed_Leppelin]I think its safe to say APY is the most arrogant person on the planet.[/QUOTE]
or at least this forum

ihavesoldout 06-25-2005 12:34 AM

[QUOTE=Jesus of Suburbia]What you are failing to see is that the music you are playing is the type of music that appeals to gutiarists. [/QUOTE]
I would say it onl appeals to himself. Because guitarwise there is nothing that is even remotely appealing.

GuitarSlinger 06-25-2005 12:34 AM

you live in the bay are APY? i do too and i havnt heard of you.

Zed_Leppelin 06-25-2005 12:35 AM

[QUOTE=GuitarSlinger]or at least this forum[/QUOTE]

I guess all his friends just told him his songs were good so his head didnt explode??!?!?!?!111111 :wave:

apromisingyear 06-25-2005 12:36 AM

[QUOTE=Jesus of Suburbia]What you are failing to see is that the music you are playing is the type of music that appeals to gutiarists. Good Charlotte sells CD's because of their catchy melodies and their looks. Also because of their lyrics. You have no lyrics, no real drums, no real bass, and no decent recording methods. What incentive do people have to buy your CD? It's sub-par quality and they'll have to wait for you to mail it to them to get it. I'm just trying to save you some money here.[/QUOTE]

it does indeed appeal to guitarists too...no doubt about it...

BUT

I also have emo appeal, punk appeal, indie appeal, rock/rap appeal, and rap appeal.

I know you don't notice it (because I only have one of the album tracks on myspace) but I kick back in some songs and let the rap beats shine through and play around a bit more with bass, samples, synths, effects and what not. I SEE how I have the rap/rock and rap appeal (for obvious reasons) but i never understood where all that other attention came from. Im not complaining though. :)

pfc_mike 06-25-2005 12:36 AM

u r missing one HUGE component that is vital to BOTH Good Charlotte and Steve Vai...THEY HAVE FVCKING CONTRACTS WITH RECORD LABELS!...do u understnad that importance of record labels...they produce the CDs and advertise them and distribute them...THEY DO ALL THE WORK, THATS WHY VAI AND GOOD CHARLOTTE ARE ABLE TO SELL SO MANY RECORDS...

GuitarSlinger 06-25-2005 12:37 AM

[QUOTE=apromisingyear]it does indeed appeal to guitarists too...no doubt about it...
[/QUOTE]
where are you know? a guitar forum, filled with guitarists and they're telling you that this is insane and wont happen is your skull really that thick?

the21st_fret 06-25-2005 12:37 AM

[QUOTE=apromisingyear]yeah im a poser...got to hide that simple plan poster...better get the guy in here how is recording the guitars for me and giving me credit...you're absolutely right. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I know i am, and im sure that everyone else here can see that too. lol :lol:

apromisingyear 06-25-2005 12:38 AM

[QUOTE=Zed_Leppelin]I think its safe to say APY is the most arrogant person on the planet.[/QUOTE]

maybe im arrogant in your eyes but from my eyes i'm just determinded to do this.

pfc_mike 06-25-2005 12:38 AM

[QUOTE=GuitarSlinger]you live in the bay are APY? i do too and i havnt heard of you.[/QUOTE]

BAY AREA IN DA' HOUSE...alright, thats my "ghetto" moment of the day :lol:

ihavesoldout 06-25-2005 12:39 AM

seros apy you are a fukn idiot seros lawl.

Zed_Leppelin 06-25-2005 12:41 AM

[QUOTE=apromisingyear]maybe im arrogant in your eyes but from my eyes i'm just determinded to do this.[/QUOTE]

im all for being your person and do what you feel is right. but you have to realise is that all the people whose opinions your a blatantley disregarding are the same demographic that will be buying your so called "music". I think you have potential, but you just gotta gear down there big rig.

GuitarSlinger 06-25-2005 12:41 AM

[QUOTE=ihavesoldout]seros apy you are a fukn idiot seros lawl.[/QUOTE]

the21st_fret 06-25-2005 12:42 AM

[QUOTE=apromisingyear]maybe im arrogant in your eyes but from my eyes i'm just determinded to do this.[/QUOTE]

well, thats just because you are arrogant and don't know how to play guitar too well. Personally (i will just say it finnally) I thought the guitar was absolute sh!t... You're good with effects and have an ego, you got it made, go for that emo sh1t...

SRTracer 06-25-2005 12:42 AM

It's very tough to make it in the music industry- especially instrumental rock (with rap components and even indie) but determination is key to doing so. I sure hope you're able to sell everything you produce APY, and enjoy music- it shouldn't be about the money either. Good luck, but I personally suggest you stop wasting time arguing with everyone because no one is offering any practical suggestions anymore and no one is being sympathetic towards you really. Good luck dude, but seriously, no one on this forum is supportive of you- it's only a negative thing to hear more of what you're getting angered about. Take that determination and accomplish something great- just don't get in over your head and get let down if you do fail. GOOD LUCK BUDDY! :thumb:

the21st_fret 06-25-2005 12:43 AM

im actually surprised he is still in here.... Shows how arrogant and determined to see his false truth he is. I know that if I was in his position, i would have gotten off the comp , and would be doin some serious evaluating....

GuitarSlinger 06-25-2005 12:43 AM

APY, you need to get out of your fantasy world your living in, i assume your rich? having at least the 10 grand you think it will cost. your not going to be pampered in the real world.

the21st_fret 06-25-2005 12:46 AM

guitarslinger, can i join the "cool guys club" ?

lols

Brewer14 06-25-2005 12:46 AM

Wow.

To everyone whos not APY: quit being a bunch of d[U]i[/U]ckheads. You dont like his music? You think hes crazy? Fine. Give him [U]constructive[/U] criticism. Stuff that will HELP him sell 30k CDs. Why say something like "oMg i tooks a dumps and its better than yur song LoLz!"? Whats the point? Is there something wrong with being supportive? People like SRTracer are good examples of what TO do.

Ugh.

To APY- Its been said, but I really would start out at something around 1000. That way, if it sells alot, you can order more, and if it doesnt, your not stuck with so many extra cds, and you wont lose as much money.

If you really think you can sell that many Cds, then good luck to you man. Just make sure your prepared for the losses if you dont reach your goal.

ChickenMcFicken 06-25-2005 12:46 AM

Whats with all the bay area punks in hurr? Its all about the 'mo anywhere. Och towns got nothing on us.

I repsect you APY for being determined, but reality checks are in order. I saw a guy on the street in DC giving away CDs of his band, and they were a whole band. I doubt they had 30k copies either. I was scared of him, he was creepy, I gave him a donation (he was also asking for these) and ran. Thats not the point, but just lower the number, and you will at least sell some, don't shoot too high

SRTracer 06-25-2005 12:47 AM

[QUOTE=the21st_fret]im actually surprised he is still in here.... Shows how arrogant and determined to see his false truth he is. I know that if I was in his position, i would have gotten off the comp , and would be doin some serious evaluating....[/QUOTE]

I'd be crying and sucking my thumb in the fetal position on the floor. He's taken a lot of crap from a lot of people. It's tough to hear the truth sometimes, but it needs to be done to keep egos in check. Hope it goes well dude- it's only breaking down your confidence at this point so if you plan on doing this, i'd get the crap off of this forum so you aren't ridiculed any more. Good Luck...... seriously though, people are just going to be asses to you due to your serious lack of listening when you asked for their help. They gave you their honest opinion and you will not listen to them. Stop asking it then, and get off. :wave:

comm 06-25-2005 12:47 AM

why the hell is this thread so addicting ...

ChickenMcFicken 06-25-2005 12:49 AM

I just want to find out where all these Bay Area people are from, I didnt expect much from SF, but 4 in one thread, thats crazy

Zed_Leppelin 06-25-2005 12:50 AM

[QUOTE=Some dood]Wow.
Why say something like "oMg i tooks a dumps and its better than yur song LoLz!"? Whats the point? Is there something wrong with being supportive? .[/QUOTE]

but he speks da troof.

werd.

Kwash2 06-25-2005 12:50 AM

Your music sucks.

the21st_fret 06-25-2005 12:51 AM

Maybe you should make a few hundred and give about 100-200 to your local guitar store, put up some posters here and there, and maybe even pay to have a billboard done with your bands name and a web adress( make a web site for your band).Then after about 2 weeks, have a concert, and give away cd's afterwards (ask for donations for the cd's tho). Your publicity in your area will skyrocket if you do all this. Especially the billboard.

GuitarSlinger 06-25-2005 12:52 AM

[QUOTE=the21st_fret]guitarslinger, can i join the "cool guys club" ?

lols[/QUOTE]
possibly, i havnt seen you around alot, we'll give it some time and see whats up. :thumb:

GuitarSlinger 06-25-2005 12:52 AM

[QUOTE=ChickenMcFicken]I just want to find out where all these Bay Area people are from, I didnt expect much from SF, but 4 in one thread, thats crazy[/QUOTE]
im from Redwood City, its south of San Mateo.

pfc_mike 06-25-2005 12:52 AM

there is this guy in San Francisco named 19th Street Red who plays some kick *** slide blues...he plays rhythm/lead slide guitar, keeps a beat on a bass drums AND sings at the same time...he sells his CDs for $10 each...

...now why am i telling u this? i am a huge fan of 19th Street Red, sadly i only have 2 of his albums (actually i don't really know if he recorded any others)...he once told me that one of his albums was pretty popular but his sales were NO WHERE NEAR 30 K...this guy also plays near SBC Park (home of the SF Giants), at least 20,000 people pass by him and hear his music every time he performs...and yet he hasn't sold nearly 30 K...doesn't that tell u something???

ChickenMcFicken 06-25-2005 12:53 AM

I wanna join too! we boff from the bay area, I should be able to join!

Kwash2 06-25-2005 12:53 AM

I think the cool guys club needs some cool guys.

bizzurn.

ChickenMcFicken 06-25-2005 12:54 AM

[QUOTE=GuitarSlinger]im from Redwood City, its south of San Mateo.[/QUOTE]
Cool, my uncle used to live there. Its all about Alamo thoguh (south of Walnut Creek)

pfc_mike 06-25-2005 12:54 AM

[QUOTE=ChickenMcFicken]I just want to find out where all these Bay Area people are from, I didnt expect much from SF, but 4 in one thread, thats crazy[/QUOTE]

South City

GuitarSlinger 06-25-2005 12:55 AM

[QUOTE=ChickenMcFicken]I wanna join too! we boff from the bay area, I should be able to join![/QUOTE]
LedZep is coleader so its not entirely up to me, but your a cool dude. so possibly