Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Jam Session (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Merkabas Voice-Help Hotline (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219911)

kidthatplaysguitar91 02-02-2008 10:21 PM

[QUOTE=BagONickels;15912086]Right.
Like I said, I've only been back at it for a short time, focusing on pitch for just a couple weeks so... Time will tell.

There was a post some time ago that said DON'T work on pitch in the car. Any explanation for that? I have recorded some scales on to CD then I'll play them in the car while recording on my mp3 player for reference/review. Any thing wrong with that?

Thanks again[/QUOTE]

Well i'm sure it was assuming you turn up your music and sing along to it in a way where you cant hear your pitch. Scales should be fine.

Just dont get distracted and crash :thumb:

BagONickels 02-04-2008 08:13 AM

[QUOTE=kidthatplaysguitar91;15929992]The Pink Floyd song......Wish you were here, thats it.
Sounded pretty good actually. Besides some random pitch things every so often. The guitar was just straight 8ths instead of its actually rhythm.
Your voice could just sound better in its relaxed way =P.
Mine I think sounds better when its pushed a bit.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback...
Yeah, I wanted to post something very simple and familliar, so there was a point of refference.

I've only been "back" at it for a short time and I never sang on a regular basis in the past, just played guitar. I'm doing the open mic thing at a local club with just a few covers for now. Trying to get used to the mic thing and all.

There are a couple other original songs on that demo page that may actually be a little more suitable to this thread. Screaming and all that.. Here's the direct links...

[url]http://www.shrednet.com/thc/FavoriteTrunks.mp3[/url]
[url]http://www.shrednet.com/thc/ReefRoad.mp3[/url]
Surf-Pop/Punk/Whatever stylie...

Sometimes I'll listen to these and say "Ok, not bad..."
Other times it's like "Igggkkk!" Depends on my mood I guess.
Overal, I guess it's not TOO bad for a 4-track in my bedroom.

Thanks again.

fr1k0 02-17-2008 12:40 PM

[QUOTE=fr1k0;15863110]Hey!

Can you help to learn to scream like in 1.17-1.24 in this video: [url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=IChe7vLoU5M[/url]

I can kinda scream low, as they do at 1.11 in the same video.

Thank you in advance![/QUOTE]

Anyone? Please.. :/

Thanks! :)

Edit: Oh, and about trivium.. [url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=n_L-gCy99wk[/url] is that the so called "Death scream?" Thanks!

kdash 03-21-2008 10:27 AM

Hi,

I wanted to ask whether drinking lots of milk is detrimental to your voice. Because I found it makes it even harder to clear my throat because of the thickness.

Thanks

plagueyears 03-21-2008 10:31 PM

Hey Merkaba, I've been reading this thread for some time now. I started screaming in a band in December, recently, while my scream only sounds better, I've been feeling my back really tense and wearing out after screaming for some time. There is no pain, but I get tired right away and sometimes I get a headache. Im not really sure what am i doing wrong, since it wasn't happening before. Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Another thing, how does the frontman of this band:
[url]www.myspace.com/architectsuk[/url]

does his screaming?

Thanks ALOT
:wave:

kidthatplaysguitar91 03-22-2008 10:03 PM

[QUOTE=kdash;16134230]Hi,

I wanted to ask whether drinking lots of milk is detrimental to your voice. Because I found it makes it even harder to clear my throat because of the thickness.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Milk= bad

Not directly to your voice, but to your throat.

kidthatplaysguitar91 03-22-2008 10:05 PM

[QUOTE=plagueyears;16136882]Hey Merkaba, I've been reading this thread for some time now. I started screaming in a band in December, recently, while my scream only sounds better, I've been feeling my back really tense and wearing out after screaming for some time. There is no pain, but I get tired right away and sometimes I get a headache. Im not really sure what am i doing wrong, since it wasn't happening before. Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Another thing, how does the frontman of this band:
[url]www.myspace.com/architectsuk[/url]

does his screaming?

Thanks ALOT
:wave:[/QUOTE]

Headaches are a result of your breathing and probally pushing it too much. The back pain is probally from how your standing while screaming or your straining so much your doing something to your back somehow.

Try to relax and make sure your breathing right.

Dynomiteguy 04-22-2008 09:55 PM

Never mind, I learned the exhale scream, thanks to your advice Merkaba! You rock! =]

dinosaurxbrocore 06-01-2008 12:01 AM

[QUOTE=kidthatplaysguitar91;15896524]No screaming is good for you. Inhale is the worst. Your cords are working backwords, their being dried out faster. Thats why sometimes you cough if you do it too hard/too much.
Screaming needs extra air to happen, which means extra pressure on the vocal cords no matter how safe your doing it.

You just have to get it to a point where its like, ok I can play a show and still sing fine and talk after. Or get to a point where you feel no pain and your voice is still perfect.[/QUOTE]

number one, drying out faster isn't a noun, one cannot possess a drying out faster, you mean "they're" as in they (your vocal cords) are drying out faster

number two, ive never hurt my voice doing inwards and ive been doing inwards and outwards for four years now

the most important factor out of anything with screaming is mic technique and having a lot of room temperature water at hand

kidthatplaysguitar91 07-07-2008 11:15 PM

[QUOTE=dinosaurxbrocore;16383729]number one, drying out faster isn't a noun, one cannot possess a drying out faster, you mean "they're" as in they (your vocal cords) are drying out faster

number two, ive never hurt my voice doing inwards and ive been doing inwards and outwards for four years now

the most important factor out of anything with screaming is mic technique and having a lot of room temperature water at hand[/QUOTE]

Ok when I made that post I was in a rush and didn't bother with caring about correct grammar and such. I never said it would hurt your voice. I said it puts extra strain on the voice no matter how perfect you do it.

Inhale is the worst scream for your voice, it won't destroy your voice doing it, but it will dry out your cords faster and your cords aren't meant to go that way. You can do it, but you'll need to have more water/mist inhale if you really want.

The most important thing with screaming is being able to hear yourself and having water/mist bottle.

Adrienne Osborn 05-12-2009 11:11 AM

Huge thanks to Merkaba

I'm pretty new here - just found this thread very recently. What a treasure trove of information you have contributed, Merkaba. Here's a HUGE thank-you to you for putting all this stuff out there. I'm definitely going to work a lot of your advice and exercises into my plan.

nashavvi 05-15-2009 01:34 AM

voice blasting

Hi,

Just about all professionals that are in direct sales now realize that voice broadcasting and voice blasting are absolute must! Times have changed and the people that adapt will be successful.

Any serious business professional searching to generate red-hot, interested leads on the fly will find this type of website useful. Believe it or not, many leads will call you directly! This is unheard of in traditional cold-calling.

http://www.relaystation.co.uk

hismajestythepope 06-11-2009 02:04 AM

guys make me stop smoking cigarettes its affecting my screaming again

Cramboli 06-11-2009 02:20 AM

Bad Pope put down the cancer-stick... Yeah if it's going to ruin your singing voice why do it?

hismajestythepope 08-12-2009 06:44 PM

Because nicotine is daaaaamn addicting.

rachelgreen 09-22-2009 04:16 AM

That falsetto scream is basically just... a mix of making my voice raspy with the soft pallet and singing in falsetto, right? And, if I want to do that scream, I just have to learn to "open" my throat more to get more air through it using my diapragm, right?

Lions 10-25-2009 10:33 PM

^that seems to make sense. I wouldn't quite know from experience because my faltsetto is pretty shitty. but hey, in theory, you seem set!

GuitarCrazyo 11-06-2009 06:55 PM

Merkabas Voice Help Hotline

okay as some of you may know theres kinda a love triangle goin on with dark-chan otaku and i and i need your help making a decision plz help me choose

kidthatplaysguitar91 01-02-2010 05:19 AM

[QUOTE=rachelgreen;17523922]That falsetto scream is basically just... a mix of making my voice raspy with the soft pallet and singing in falsetto, right? And, if I want to do that scream, I just have to learn to "open" my throat more to get more air through it using my diapragm, right?[/QUOTE]

If you know how to add rasp, add rasp on a falsetto note. Thats the falsetto 'scream'. Also its not a typical breathy falsetto tone. Don't have the vocal cords as separated as you would with breathy falsetto, its somewhere much closer to the cord closure of full voice.

Try to stay relaxed, make sure you're using the right stomach pressure, keep your larynx neutral, and if it hurts then stop of course.

Merkaba 02-22-2010 08:18 PM

Wow...this thread still lives...relatively

Merkaba 02-22-2010 08:18 PM

[QUOTE=Adrienne Osborn;17237708]I'm pretty new here - just found this thread very recently. What a treasure trove of information you have contributed, Merkaba. Here's a HUGE thank-you to you for putting all this stuff out there. I'm definitely going to work a lot of your advice and exercises into my plan.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome!

Herehere 03-20-2010 04:39 PM

Hey Merkaba, what are some good muscle memory exercises to help with retaining breath? I know i'm suppose to keep my tummy pushed out or something but it feels so unnatural and uncomfortable to do so.

Phobophile 04-18-2010 09:20 AM

Hey, you really seem to know your stuff and I am pretty desperate for advice. I am a screaming/growling vocalist for a metal band and at every practice or show, I sound great. I growl and scream always on pitch, always with plenty of power, and never strain my self. I guess you can say I know I'm doing it "correctly"
But whenever my band enters the studio I just lost it all. It's like I totally forget how. No matter how much I focus I just can't scream like I'm used to.
The differences of course is normally I am holding the mic, and I'm hearing myself through a PA. Whereas in the studio I'm standing in front of the mic (no hands) and only have headphones (Obviously it is an isolation room). Any potential reason for this, Or do I just have anxiety of some sort that crippling me?

Morumbar 04-29-2010 10:42 AM

Yeah, I had that too for a while. One thing is that it feels awkward and you try to hold back and give it all at the same time. And if you have to scream or growl in front of a mic, but you don't have anything to hold on to, you probably tend to not assume the aggressive posture that you normally do when doing vocals. I'd say try to not stand entirely still while recording vocals. Use your arms to express yourself. It's what voice actors do as well. It might help you get that extra bit of aggression and voice crack out.

Morumbar 04-29-2010 10:43 AM

And I have a question as well actually:

When I scream or growl, I'm not hurting my voice and I can go on for quite some time, but when I sing, especially when heading into falsetto, I tend to hurt my voice and my throat starts to produce so much mucus I can't scream properly afterwards. What am I doing wrong? I did a vocal warmup before I started.

Repost as I didn't get any response in here:
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370155&page=71

kidthatplaysguitar91 05-02-2010 10:59 PM

[QUOTE=hismajestythepope;17431205]Because nicotine is daaaaamn addicting.[/QUOTE]

If you want your nicotine switch to chew. But you'd be better just quitting. Also cigs are easier to quit than dip.

kidthatplaysguitar91 05-02-2010 11:01 PM

[QUOTE=Phobophile;17932862]Hey, you really seem to know your stuff and I am pretty desperate for advice. I am a screaming/growling vocalist for a metal band and at every practice or show, I sound great. I growl and scream always on pitch, always with plenty of power, and never strain my self. I guess you can say I know I'm doing it "correctly"
But whenever my band enters the studio I just lost it all. It's like I totally forget how. No matter how much I focus I just can't scream like I'm used to.
The differences of course is normally I am holding the mic, and I'm hearing myself through a PA. Whereas in the studio I'm standing in front of the mic (no hands) and only have headphones (Obviously it is an isolation room). Any potential reason for this, Or do I just have anxiety of some sort that crippling me?[/QUOTE]

Take off one side of the headphones to get the room sound. Hold a live mic just for effect if you want. Or do what Tommy from BTBAM does and do the whole hands and fist thing.

DavidM96 08-31-2010 06:32 PM

Hey guys, im new here and ive seen the topics on screaming from the first post, but what i want to only scream once in a awhile in a song, like Tim Mcllrath from Rise Against does. Only once and awhile, but i want that "tone" like at 3:00 in this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr3ER9fAplQ

let me know if that made any sense please

Spec 09-21-2010 06:25 PM

How do you hit the high notes?

overdriveguy 10-09-2010 12:39 PM

Oh crap. I really need help and you (Merkabas) seemed like my best bet for help, you know a lot of stuff.

I want to be a singer, and for a while I have thought that I was pretty good actually! I joined my school's Chorus to get better and everything!

But now... today I decided to try recording myself and... I SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:( This is really depressing to me. When I am singing, TO ME it sounds pretty good, but when I play it back it is not good at all!!!! It's like I am tricking myself or something. Can you please help me? Do you know anything about this? How can I sound like how I do in my mind?