Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Jam Session (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Merkabas Voice-Help Hotline (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219911)

La Revolucion 11-21-2006 11:09 PM

Sing the vowel "EE" on a C scale and add vocal histrionics sparingly.

Eliminator 11-21-2006 11:10 PM

what the **** are you talking about boy

this ain't science class ya hear

La Revolucion 11-21-2006 11:11 PM

Oh, then just repeat after me...

"BREAAAAAAAAKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWAAAAAAAYYYYYYY"

hectiK 11-22-2006 12:49 PM

Screaming help needed, sorry guys lol.

So my voice feels wrecked at the moment.. im an idiot, I was pushing today (adrenaline).. doing the high pitch gutteral sounding stuff, like im gargling, which I think killed it.. and sounds **** anyway. The lower pitch growling stuff I got on lock down, and can add a bit of rasp here and there. I can sing in tune and have a good range etc, so im not really a newb for that.

The problem is the metalcore screaming, which is the screaming I really want to do (As I Lay Dying, Bullet For My Valentine etc).. It normally sounds up ending like death metal instead because I cant hear my screams and I just push like an idiot..
I cant really get that sound, unless I do it quickly (like Atreyu).. I cant get those good long/powerful screams, and if I do.. they arent loud at all.. just air.

Yesterday I warmed up my voice with ZOS DVD.. which helped my normal singing a lot and gave me quite a bit of range on the screaming im aiming for, without having to push.. Then it just went downhill.. nearly losing my voice at the end, woke up today with a throat infection (yes.. im an idiot for singing today) but I dont think thats the reason (cold bug going round).

When I turn the volume up on amp loads, it sounds pretty good without having to sound loud and my friend brought in a boss distortion pedal today which was fun (cheatt ;p). But normally, just cant get a good pitch. Somethings wrong.

So the question is.. what am I doing wrong and how can I go about getting these Hardcore/Metalcore screams. Got a gig coming up in a couple months!

Any help will be great, thanks a lot guys.

La Revolucion 11-22-2006 08:38 PM

[QUOTE]Speaking of that, any tips on that?[/QUOTE]
You know how you trill R's in Spanish? Do that on octave scales from an E below middle C to as high as you can go comfortably. Flip into head voice whenever you need to, and eventually you will find a register in the middle of the two called mixed voice. Then from there you can do glisses and things to get your voice more conditioned.

There's plenty other exercises I could tell you about that would get your mix strengthened if you care about it enough.

But, don't focus solely on mix. Also work on head and chest. Mixed will just sort of come naturally.

Seth Mitchell 11-24-2006 12:52 AM

Hey, i posted this problem, but didn't get much responce, but Merkaba told me to come here.

Here's my thread:
[url]http://sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502530[/url]

Screamin_Demon_Auz 11-24-2006 11:39 AM

He probably told you to come here because you should find an answer within the first post. Just read through all of it and work on the exercises.

Merkaba 11-25-2006 07:41 AM

[QUOTE=Screamin_Demon_Auz;13690362]He probably told you to come here because you should find an answer within the first post. Just read through all of it and work on the exercises.[/QUOTE]

Yea I meant have you been here to READ!!!! :lol:

guitarro777 12-04-2006 11:33 PM

[QUOTE=La Revolucion;13681399]You know how you trill R's in Spanish? Do that on octave scales from an E below middle C to as high as you can go comfortably. Flip into head voice whenever you need to, and eventually you will find a register in the middle of the two called mixed voice. Then from there you can do glisses and things to get your voice more conditioned.

There's plenty other exercises I could tell you about that would get your mix strengthened if you care about it enough.

But, don't focus solely on mix. Also work on head and chest. Mixed will just sort of come naturally.[/QUOTE]

I can't roll my Rrrrrrrs....

Merkaba 12-05-2006 09:17 AM

[QUOTE=guitarro777;13761677]I can't roll my Rrrrrrrs....[/QUOTE]

What about motorboats?

panthersfan16 12-05-2006 04:02 PM

hey merk I'm really worried. I had a bit of a chest cold about 2 weeks ago, it wasnt bad it only took me about 3 or 4 days to beat it, but now about a week later, I still can't do my mid voice screams. My growls and falsetto screams are better than ever, but i can't get my voice behind the mid voice screams (slipknot-ish if you don't know what I mean). I can get the rasp and a lot of air, and I can sing the notes easily and powerfully, but as soon as i go to scream, its like there is a very quiet note, if any at all behind it...

Do you have any idea of what is going on? If I lost my scream for good I am SCREWED... My grandpa, a real powerful singer, had something similar a couple years ago and he still cant sing much anymore

PS I warm up for about 15 min with scales and stuff

Merkaba 12-05-2006 10:57 PM

I replied in ithe other thread Panther

guitarro777 12-07-2006 04:16 PM

[QUOTE=Merkaba;13763351]What about motorboats?[/QUOTE]

I've been doing those, but one thing is I can't keep them going very long. I've been doing the "muhs" and "nays" those have helped me a lot too. Right now I just really need to be working on intonation.

hxcturtle369 12-07-2006 08:29 PM

Hey I am 14 years old, and I've recently joined a band. I got sick with a fever/ soar throat for about 4 days. It's pretty much gone now, a little still in the throat but before I got sick I could Pig Squeel and growl pretty good. Now whenever I try to do both, the air just won't come out like its not there. Did I do something wrong or what? Suggestions plz...

Druumer89 12-07-2006 08:50 PM

[QUOTE=hxcturtle369;13776850]Hey I am 14 years old, and I've recently joined a band. I got sick with a fever/ soar throat for about 4 days. It's pretty much gone now, a little still in the throat but before I got sick I could Pig Squeel and growl pretty good. Now whenever I try to do both, the air just won't come out like its not there. Did I do something wrong or what? Suggestions plz...[/QUOTE]

...pig squeal, huh?

Merkaba 12-07-2006 11:49 PM

[QUOTE=guitarro777;13775124]I've been doing those, but one thing is I can't keep them going very long. I've been doing the "muhs" and "nays" those have helped me a lot too. Right now I just really need to be working on intonation.[/QUOTE]
How long can you hold them? Intonation will suffer if you dont have any breath support.

guitarro777 12-08-2006 04:39 PM

[QUOTE=Merkaba;13777827]How long can you hold them? Intonation will suffer if you dont have any breath support.[/QUOTE]

Not very long. I was practicing with a friend, and he out motor-boated me, he can hold a note twice as long as I can. I'm really frustrated with it, because I don't know what I am doing wrong.

hxcturtle369 12-08-2006 09:49 PM

I could hold a squeel off for a good 20 or 25 seconds or so.

guitarro777 12-09-2006 08:48 AM

[QUOTE=hxcturtle369;13782740]I could hold a squeel off for a good 20 or 25 seconds or so.[/QUOTE]

Define "squeal." Also you are aware that you are going through puberty right now as well right?

hxcturtle369 12-10-2006 05:54 PM

Lmfao

guitarro777 12-11-2006 06:07 PM

So the rule is if you can't roll your r's to do motorboats instead then?

hxcturtle369 12-12-2006 03:22 PM

[url]http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=638405[/url]
This is me doing some deathmetal/grindcore vocals, inhaling high and low. I'm only 14 and I've been practicing for like 1 month.

The song in the backround by a band called Waking The Cadaver

[url]http://www.myspace.com/wakingthecadaver[/url]

Merkaba 12-12-2006 10:40 PM

[QUOTE=guitarro777;13800693]So the rule is if you can't roll your r's to do motorboats instead then?[/QUOTE]

Motorboats are good to help you get in touch with your diaphragm and a bit of larynx control when you go up in pitch. I say do them anyways. You can roll r's without having good breath support. So its a bit of a different fruit.

guitarro777 12-16-2006 11:13 AM

How do I balance out practicing vocal technique, and practicing songs? I have been going through Brett Manning's Singing Success program, and I am afraid that if I practice actual songs, that I will sing with bad technique and destroy my voice. I love practicing the excercises he gives, but I'm afraid that when I go to a practice a song that I will unlearn all the things I just learned from it. Do I just need to sing lower until I can get more comfortable singing higher? How do I balance technique verse singing songs?

wammy_bar 12-16-2006 11:41 AM

dude i listened to your rasp lesson and i simply cannot do that with my voice, i know how to do that with my voice without it hurting, but i am letting too much air out, how do u let out less air, while having an open throat, aslo i seemt o only be able to do this with low notes, how do i work on expanding my range, i mean i can sing high cleanly, but with the rasp it sounds weird, though i think this can all be solved with letting less air out and pushing less, how can this be achieved?

Merkaba 12-17-2006 11:14 PM

[QUOTE=guitarro777;13827900]How do I balance out practicing vocal technique, and practicing songs? I have been going through Brett Manning's Singing Success program, and I am afraid that if I practice actual songs, that I will sing with bad technique and destroy my voice. I love practicing the excercises he gives, but I'm afraid that when I go to a practice a song that I will unlearn all the things I just learned from it. Do I just need to sing lower until I can get more comfortable singing higher? How do I balance technique verse singing songs?[/QUOTE]

Well you should be trying to pay attention to the feelings in your larynx while you do exercises so that you can try to replicate this while doing your songs. Remember that all your cords can make are vowels. Remember that you can practice singing your favorite songs by using only the vowels and not the consonants. Remember this while doing your exercises becuase the two shouldnt feel any different. You should have a reperetoire of exercices that ARE singing and that cover your range. This is why there is no replacement for one on one or at least some type of dedicated instruction. There is only so much that can be relayed over the net and so many ways of putting things into some kind of sentence that will make someones brain click from thousands of miles away.

Merkaba 12-17-2006 11:26 PM

[QUOTE=wammy_bar;13828045]dude i listened to your rasp lesson and i simply cannot do that with my voice, i know how to do that with my voice without it hurting, but i am letting too much air out, how do u let out less air, while having an open throat, aslo i seemt o only be able to do this with low notes, how do i work on expanding my range, i mean i can sing high cleanly, but with the rasp it sounds weird, though i think this can all be solved with letting less air out and pushing less, how can this be achieved?[/QUOTE]
You cant expand your range, per se. You can only access it. Whats the highes note you can sing....not slip out but sing decently? This is why i say sing the scream and pure voice singing is the best thing for your development if there is something in question. To begin, go for singing the note as if you were in an opera.

As far as rasp, try Ick. Like gross ick. From a slight growl position or as if youre clearning your throat. Then sing it on a few mid range, low push pitches. As one goes up in pitch and power you really have to lighten up on this mechanism but a basic clearing of the throat will at least get you in touch with it.

wammy_bar 12-18-2006 03:10 PM

whats Ick? and what is ross Ick? srry im stupid, lol

Merkaba 12-20-2006 06:02 PM

[QUOTE=wammy_bar;13842324]whats Ick? and what is ross Ick? srry im stupid, lol[/QUOTE]

ick....Gross ick. not ross. Like iiiccccckk thats gross.

wammy_bar 12-21-2006 06:37 PM

[QUOTE=Merkaba;13857495]ick....Gross ick. not ross. Like iiiccccckk thats gross.[/QUOTE]

like when ur saying, Yickkkkk?

like how jews and the terrorists make that noise in their language, like how jews say hanuka, like ur hawking a loogy? cause i sing the note but i can tdo that without stopping the note

all im asking is when i rasp sing is how do i push, but not make it sound like im pushing, would projecting more help, because i just got surgery and cant leave my bed often, and cant project while laying down. so is projecting going to help me to sound less like im pushing too hard? btw nothing of what im talking about is hurting so its all okayk, it just sounds bad