Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archives (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   July Metal Cover Competition! (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360020)

Stone Cold Bush 07-02-2005 08:00 PM

[QUOTE=Death to Pop-Punk]Dammit, I wish I was able/knew how to record. *sad face*[/QUOTE]
Same.

Cunha 07-02-2005 08:11 PM

I call Megadeth's - Angry Again

Rounder 07-02-2005 08:19 PM

heres a couple possibles im looking at:

Master Of Puppets
One
Shortest Straw
Raining Blood
Eulogy (if Tool can be considered metal)
The Real Thing (by Faith No More)

Rounder 07-02-2005 08:20 PM

[QUOTE=Kage]Would Symbol Song/Movement I by Dredg be considered metal?[/QUOTE]

I would love to hear that, I would consider it proggy metalish.
If I ever did a dredg cover, it would be Of The Room, the chorus in that song sends chills up my spine.

br3ad_man 07-02-2005 08:34 PM

[QUOTE=r0und3r]heres a couple possibles im looking at:

Master Of Puppets
One
Shortest Straw
Raining Blood
Eulogy (if Tool can be considered metal)
The Real Thing (by Faith No More)[/QUOTE]

Do Faith No More!!

adsta 07-02-2005 08:40 PM

I'll take In Flames - Dialogue With The Stars

Metaljonus 07-02-2005 09:27 PM

I gots a cover ready but when can I post it?

Stone Cold Bush 07-02-2005 10:08 PM

Sorry to interrupt, but what is the preferred program for recording on MX? I'm thinking of entering this competition, but I've never recorded before. Also, do you just put a mic near your amp or do you plug into the computer? Thanks for your help in advance.

Dude3 07-02-2005 10:50 PM

[QUOTE=stonecoldbush]Sorry to interrupt, but what is the preferred program for recording on MX? I'm thinking of entering this competition, but I've never recorded before. Also, do you just put a mic near your amp or do you plug into the computer? Thanks for your help in advance.[/QUOTE]
I put a mic kinda near to my amp. I think you could plug directly into the computer, but I doubt that would sound good.

Stone Cold Bush 07-02-2005 10:52 PM

[QUOTE=Dude3]I put a mic kinda near to my amp. I think you could plug directly into the computer, but I doubt that would sound good.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the help, man. What program do you use to record, layer the tracks, and all that jazz?

Dude3 07-02-2005 10:58 PM

[QUOTE=stonecoldbush]Thanks for the help, man. What program do you use to record, layer the tracks, and all that jazz?[/QUOTE]
I use Guitar Tracks Pro 3. I think its Cakewalk.
Its pretty easy. But, I'm having trouble editing some crap out that I got in the backing track for the song I'm doing. Hopefully, I can edit it out.

Lateksi 07-02-2005 11:32 PM

I could try Dimmu Borgirs Mourning Palace.
Too bad I have never taught myself to play solos, so I have to choose a song that hasn't got any.

D[SIZE=2]a[/SIZE]mn, there's unaccurate tabs of that song floating around in the net...

the_summoned 07-03-2005 12:00 AM

can it be an utterly obscure song? ie Adorers of Blood by Frost Like Ashes.

Magicaltroll 07-03-2005 12:08 AM

[QUOTE=the_summoned]can it be an utterly obscure song? ie Adorers of Blood by Frost Like Ashes.[/QUOTE]
:eek:
You know about them?! I thought I was the only one! Haha. I've never heard anyone talk about them really.

And man, this is looking to be one hell of a competition. I can't wait till I see peoples entrys.

BoboTheRagingHobo 07-03-2005 12:11 AM

[QUOTE=the_summoned]can it be an utterly obscure song? ie Adorers of Blood by Frost Like Ashes.[/QUOTE]

As long as it is metal, then you are good to go.

But if it is really obscure, you should upload the original for all of us as well.

philiop 07-03-2005 01:10 AM

im doing amon amarth - death in fire. all the guitar work and drums are finished so i should be able to do the vocals later today and have it posted by tonight. but now i must sleep cos its 8:10 am

BeaZ 07-03-2005 02:01 AM

Im gonna do Walk by Pantera, i'll see if i can find a vocalist... I probably won't be able to though.

crag 07-03-2005 04:02 AM

[QUOTE=Dude3]Actually, the only thing that has to be real is the guitar. Or vocals, if you do them, i think.[/QUOTE]
i don't need to worry about vocals, transylvania is an instrumental :D

TojesDolan 07-03-2005 04:33 AM

I haave a question: You can acoustiquize (is taht even a word?) in order to cover a song? If possible, then I should search a good acoustiqizable song.

Stoic 07-03-2005 05:06 AM

[QUOTE=The Emperor]Uh, I never knew about this competition but I just finnished a Burzum cover today.

[url]http://www.myspace.com/ghilliedhu[/url]

On yousendit, what do you type for 'recipent's email address'?[/QUOTE]

nothing, just leave it blank and copy paste the link after the upload.

So is this your entry? I have a huge problem with myspace, it seems that I cant play any song :(.

the nameless 07-03-2005 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death to Pop-Punk
Dammit, I wish I was able/knew how to record. *sad face*

all you need is a pc microphone (i got mine for £10 from the argos) and my computer (windows xp home edition) already has a sound recorder on it. it is ok i guess for editing and stuff but it gets the job done :-)

blackout 07-03-2005 07:08 AM

If i can find some way to get a drum track, I'm gonna try and enter Crystal Mountain or Zero tolerance by Death, or something by the black dahlia murder.

NJMetalMeister 07-03-2005 07:47 AM

alright i will be doing (or at least attempting to get done with due to my situation about me moving at the end of th emonth) "A Problem yet to be solved" by Anata

Arucard 07-03-2005 10:02 AM

ATTN THREAD : Should i do:

Avenged Sevenfold : Chapter Four
At The Gates : Blinded By Fear

Im leaning more towards Blinded, but i just want a general opinion.

bizzare6543 07-03-2005 10:07 AM

I call In Flames - The Jesters Dance and Arch Enemy - Silver Wing, I'm not sure which one I want to do yet.

IheartSP 07-03-2005 10:33 AM

I call The Trooper by Iron Maiden.

Joe 07-03-2005 10:53 AM

I'm doing Welcome Home (Sanitarium) by Metallica or Aces High by Iron Maiden

NJMetalMeister 07-03-2005 10:59 AM

[QUOTE=ThE_B.P.C]ATTN THREAD : Should i do:

Avenged Sevenfold : Chapter Four
At The Gates : Blinded By Fear

Im leaning more towards Blinded, but i just want a general opinion.[/QUOTE]

Blinded by fear is easily the far superior of the two songs.

Taste_My_Scythe 07-03-2005 10:59 AM

I'm probably in. I just have to figure out what I can use for drums and the backup stuff. Any tips? I haven't recorded anything before, so.

If I do anything, I think it will be Metallica's Fade to Black, because I still can't learn the solos and bridge of Sixpounder on my crappy guitar. I wouldn't be able to play the whole song, and I'm assuming that's a must?

NJMetalMeister 07-03-2005 11:03 AM

Well you could always modify it slightly methinks. So if you keep the same general idea behind the solo, and just change it around to something a bit more playable, i dont think that would really be a problem.

As far as drum programming goes, there are a multitude of programs out there that you can use, but the easiest one for someone who has never done it before is probably Fruity Loops: [url]http://www.fruityloops.com/[/url]