Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Punk (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The Official Clash & Joe Strummer Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304613)

redstainedeyes 09-15-2005 07:33 PM

/ never cared about the Kaiser Chiefs

FightDaPowa! 09-15-2005 07:41 PM

ello mates, i was considering the purchase of Joe Strummer and the Mascaleros(spelling) album...

is it worth it? and if so. which album would you suggest.

SlappedByTheClash 09-15-2005 07:57 PM

[QUOTE=FightDaPowa!]ello mates, i was considering the purchase of Joe Strummer and the Mascaleros(spelling) album...

is it worth it? and if so. which album would you suggest.[/QUOTE]

Anyone. They're all fantastic.

Streetcore might be the most accessible though.

guns_of_brixton 09-15-2005 08:38 PM

Yea, get Streetcore. You need patience to listen to Global A-Go-Go and I haven't heard much off of Rock Art.

CombatRock 09-15-2005 10:09 PM

YES! get a Meskie cd they are so good!!! Streetcore is the one i ahve and its awesome.

Daniel! 09-15-2005 10:11 PM

[QUOTE=CombatRock]YES! get a Meskie cd they are so good!!! Streetcore is the one i ahve and its awesome.[/QUOTE]

Get Down Moses rules.

CombatRock 09-15-2005 10:14 PM

Oh yes it does, probley my favriote song by them.

Its just as good as your avatar.

RIP Ian Curtis 09-15-2005 11:53 PM

Hey was Joe Strummer any good fronting the Pouges? Not being Irish and all, not sure if he could do 'em justice...

CombatRock 09-15-2005 11:57 PM

I have never heard is work with the Pouges unforutantley, but hey its Joe Strummer, he would have been good fronting NWA haha.

RIP Ian Curtis 09-16-2005 12:07 AM

Funnily enough Shane Macgowan got his ear bitten off by his girlfriend in 77 at a clash gig...

Joe Strummer fronting NWA...
It would be amusing. But I don't like NWA anyway.

CombatRock 09-16-2005 12:09 AM

haha i love em.

Yea i read that in this NME clash mag, who is shane macgowan?

RIP Ian Curtis 09-16-2005 12:13 AM

The lead singer of the Pouges. He quit for a while in the early 90's, but they're back together. Shane is awesome, he also had a 2nd rate band for a while called "The Popes". Try and track down the documentary "If I Should Fall From Grace With God", it has high levels of awesome. And we sould probably stop talking about NWA otherwise I'll get back onto my "I Hate Hip-Hop" bandwagon and get banned again...

RIP Ian Curtis 09-16-2005 12:14 AM

I still can't see Joe replacing Ice Cube. Can you imagine him opening "Straight Outta Compton"... scary thought.

AB/CD 09-16-2005 08:46 AM

u left out shane macgowans punk band the Nips they were class gotta a few of their songs here anyway.

far as i no joe done a good job replacing shane my mate has a clip somewhere of joe singing with them.

JohnXDoesn't 09-16-2005 02:30 PM

Hello Clash board. :wave:

I have been spurred on by the activity on this board to listen to an awful lot of Clash lately. Today I have the day off and listened to just about the whole of Sandinista! First time I've listened to it front to back in good many a year, as I usually skip around it.

All I can say is [I]wow[/I]. Perhaps I never noticed before, but this album is brillant. It might be my new favorite from them. I heard things today in this album I had never heard before. Or perhaps I just heard it differently then I have before? Whatever the case, I was knocked out by it.

What are the thoughts of some of you regarding this remarkable album? It's been really nice listening to all this Clash lately and this was just a complete surprise to me. I feel like I've heard it for the first time again, and it's much better this time around. Anybody else enjoy this album in a big way? I think it's stunning.

RIP Ian Curtis 09-17-2005 10:49 AM

It's alright, but I don't really dig The Clash post London Calling. Not because I think they sold out or anything, just don't like the more disco/new wave/reggae kinda stuff in comparison to the old classics.

CombatRock 09-18-2005 02:07 AM

Im the oppostie, i like post London Calling, and most the die hard "clashiniets" like post London Calling more, i dont know why though.

redstainedeyes 09-18-2005 07:34 AM

I just like everything...except Cut the Crap, which I haven't heard.

Daniel! 09-18-2005 11:54 AM

The first three albums are my favorite and Combat Rock is my least favroite. Sandinista is somewhere in the middle.

Brain Toad 09-18-2005 01:10 PM

I saw [url=http://www.myspace.com/hitbyasemi]Hit by a Semi[/url] yesterday at a car show, and as they were setting up they were playing Clash on their PA.

JohnXDoesn't 09-18-2005 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=Brain Squirmin' Like a Toad]I saw [url=http://www.myspace.com/hitbyasemi]Hit by a Semi[/url] yesterday at a car show, and as they were setting up they were playing Clash on their PA.[/QUOTE]

The Clash are everywhere. Can't be stopped or helped.

Anyway, I am listening to Sandinista once again today. Freakin' brillant album. Hitsville U.K. is great. :)

Brain Toad 09-18-2005 01:55 PM

[QUOTE=JohnXDoe]The Clash are everywhere. Can't be stopped or helped.

Anyway, I am listening to Sandinista once again today. Freakin' brillant album. Hitsville U.K. is great. :)[/QUOTE]

They played Janie Jones which didn't bother me, my favourite Clash song if I was forced at gunpoint to say I liked a Clash song. They also had Police & Theives play and it got stuck in my head.

They weren't that good of a band though. And had everything turned up too loud.

CombatRock 09-18-2005 02:29 PM

[QUOTE=JohnXDoe]The Clash are everywhere. Can't be stopped or helped.

Anyway, I am listening to Sandinista once again today. Freakin' brillant album. Hitsville U.K. is great. :)[/QUOTE]

As soon as i get more cash im buying that album.

guns_of_brixton 09-18-2005 08:38 PM

If they would eliminate the stupid female vocals on Hitsville it could be better.

And was the band playing Janie Jones? Or just on their PA?

CombatRock 09-18-2005 10:04 PM

Sounds like just the PA. Sean get on MSN more.

NP- Junco Partner (live)

Brain Toad 09-18-2005 10:42 PM

[QUOTE=guns_of_brixton]If they would eliminate the stupid female vocals on Hitsville it could be better.

And was the band playing Janie Jones? Or just on their PA?[/QUOTE]

PA.

redstainedeyes 09-19-2005 03:55 PM

[QUOTE] Originally Posted by [B]Brain Squrmin' Like a Toad[/B]
if I was forced at gunpoint to say I liked a Clash song.[/QUOTE]

You don't like The Clash?

Just wondering, I'm not saying it's stupid or anything.

AIRIC 09-19-2005 04:00 PM

I don't.

guns_of_brixton 09-19-2005 05:03 PM

Nick likes their first album. He pretends to hate them much more than he actually does.

CombatRock 09-19-2005 06:44 PM

I know Skrunnch loves them. He is the honory Clash Whore this week.