Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Punk (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The Official Clash & Joe Strummer Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304613)

AdictAddict 08-08-2005 12:26 PM

yes, nice work

CombatRock 08-08-2005 01:12 PM

All he was doing was advertising, thats why he is now banned. Paul looks stupid in the picture with his hair.

Coma_Girl 08-08-2005 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=guns_of_brixton]You successfully captured Mick Jones's ugliness.[/QUOTE]
tssss.

and i hope travis posted the picture of Jay's guitar for me. While I wasn't there.
Oh yeah, and I met Tim Armstrong and we talked about Joe.

Brain Toad 08-08-2005 03:18 PM

[QUOTE=Brain Squirmin' Like a Toad][url]http://www.braintoad.servemp3.com/music/19%20-%20Rock%20the%20Casbah.mp3[/url][/QUOTE]

[url]http://braintoad.servemp3.com/music/19%20%2D%20Rock%20the%20Casbah.mp3[/url]

It doesn't like the www

CombatRock 08-08-2005 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=Coma_Girl]tssss.

and i hope travis posted the picture of Jay's guitar for me. While I wasn't there.
Oh yeah, and I met Tim Armstrong and we talked about Joe.[/QUOTE]

YAH Andys back! Of course i posted your picture, i had it as my background on my computer for a while. By the way i have surpassed you in this thread :p

CombatRock 08-10-2005 06:36 AM

[QUOTE=Brain Squirmin' Like a Toad]Richard Cheese's Rock the Casbah > Orginal[/QUOTE]
Who is Richard Cheese?

guns_of_brixton 08-10-2005 10:32 AM

His version is alright... I give him credit for getting through the entire song in like 1:20.

AB/CD 08-10-2005 12:41 PM

i could well play that song in 1:20

CombatRock 08-10-2005 04:09 PM

Im downloading the song right now, i will edit and see what i think.
Also im making my clash shirt tonight. Next time i go to my girlfriends i will get her to take a picture for me.

edit: That was extremely annoying.

guns_of_brixton 08-10-2005 10:10 PM

I got Let Fury Have the Hour at my library... very good so far. I almost got America (the John Stewart/Daily Show book) but I forgot :upset:.

Brain Toad 08-10-2005 10:19 PM

[QUOTE=CombatRock]Who is Richard Cheese?[/QUOTE]

He is godly and owns you.

CombatRock 08-11-2005 12:44 AM

[QUOTE=guns_of_brixton]I got Let Fury Have the Hour at my library... very good so far. I almost got America (the John Stewart/Daily Show book) but I forgot :upset:.[/QUOTE]

That is the funniest book in the world! Jon Stewar is greater than richard cheese.

I made my clash shirt, it says Hate and War, i shall post once i get pictures.

The Clash 08-12-2005 07:57 PM

[QUOTE=guns_of_brixton]I'd say Combat Rock is the [I]most popular[/I]. I know it sold the most copies.

My dad likes the Clash, but mostly only the songs everyone knows. He liked Streetcore.[/QUOTE]

Combat rock featurs songs like "Should I Stay or Should I Go" and "Rock The Casbah" which are songs that everyone knows.

But Combat rock doesnt come CLOSE to London Calling. London Calling was a master piece. SO Influentual. It was ranked number 8 by rolling stone magazine in there 500 Greatest albums of all time. And VH1 has London Calling listed at number 56 in the greatest songs of the past 25 years.

Combat rock is cool, But London Calling is the clash at there best.

Anti-Prefix 08-12-2005 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=The Clash]Combat rock featurs songs like "Should I Stay or Should I Go" and "Rock The Casbah" which are songs that everyone knows.

But Combat rock doesnt come CLOSE to London Calling. London Calling was a master piece. SO Influentual. It was ranked number 8 by rolling stone magazine in there 500 Greatest albums of all time. And VH1 has London Calling listed at number 56 in the greatest songs of the past 25 years.

Combat rock is cool, But London Calling is the clash at there best.[/QUOTE]

Because VH1 and Rolling Stone magazine are the definitive punk rock source. Their self-titled album was the most influential if you ask me. Influence is what it means to the person, not some mainstream magazine. I don't know much about The Clash except that S/T was very influential for a lot of bands. That and Give 'em Enough Rope was incredible.

guns_of_brixton 08-12-2005 08:25 PM

Well popular certainly doesn't mean the best. London Calling is easily the best. Combat Rock is probably the worst.

London Calling was easily the best album they had on the Rolling Stone list. It owns the hell out of the Beatles and Beach Boys or whoever else was ahead of it.

CombatRock 08-14-2005 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=Anti-Prefix]Because VH1 and Rolling Stone magazine are the definitive punk rock source. Their self-titled album was the most influential if you ask me. Influence is what it means to the person, not some mainstream magazine. I don't know much about The Clash except that S/T was very influential for a lot of bands. That and Give 'em Enough Rope was incredible.[/QUOTE]

I disagree that the ST was more influential, just the fact that at the time lots of punk records were comming out and what not, but when London Calling came out, none of the punk bands were doing the sounds of that record.

guns_of_brixton 08-15-2005 02:49 PM

np- Living in Fame

And I noticed the guy who does the vocals on this song is the sme guys who does them on the live Armagideon Time.

CombatRock 08-15-2005 04:53 PM

Is it that black guy that helps out in Bankrobber?

guns_of_brixton 08-15-2005 06:29 PM

No, this guy has an annoying voice. Well, maybe it is him.

CombatRock 08-15-2005 11:42 PM

Have you seen the guy? On essential clash hes in the bankrobber video.

Strummerville 08-16-2005 08:59 AM

I liked the painting that was posted a couple of pages back. Joe looks like he's having bowel problems though.

I want to make my own Clash t-shirts, seen as the ones you can get commercially are **** sizes and just crap.

Any ideas on how I do this? Paint's, stencils etc.?

CombatRock 08-16-2005 03:15 PM

I have made clash tee. Get the stencils lay them out how you want then cover everything but the stencils. Then use spray paint, thats why i used and it turned out really good.

Strummerville 08-17-2005 12:14 PM

[QUOTE=CombatRock]I have made clash tee. Get the stencils lay them out how you want then cover everything but the stencils. Then use spray paint, thats why i used and it turned out really good.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the advice. What kind of shops sell decent stencils?

widzjnent 08-17-2005 12:32 PM

i just saw a part of the essential clash dvd (all the promo video's and stuff, not their home movie) i think it's good, is westway to the world better?

guns_of_brixton 08-17-2005 12:45 PM

Westway is different and better.

CombatRock 08-17-2005 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=Strummerville]thanks for the advice. What kind of shops sell decent stencils?[/QUOTE]
Im, not sure really, my friend gave me a stencil thing, all it was, was a carboard piece of paper with letters on it and you just tear the letters you need off. IM sure you can get them at a walmart or hobby lobby.

RIP Ian Curtis 08-17-2005 08:28 PM

Just a quick question...
Do you think that Joe Strummer was really as tough as he says he was?
I don't mean no offence, I love the Clash, but Strummer doesn't actually seem that badarse to me... I dunno, perhaps one of you lot know his life story better?

CombatRock 08-17-2005 08:29 PM

Somone who bashes somones head over with a telecaster is badass to me.

guns_of_brixton 08-17-2005 08:44 PM

Part of Let Fury Have the Hour went something like: "Joe Strummer, the thuggish-looking lead singer of the Clash."

CombatRock 08-17-2005 08:51 PM

When are you going to post interviews?