Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Casual - Once more with feeling (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571968)

FunkMetalBass 03-30-2009 04:15 PM

[quote=Raayl;17152362]200+ lbs club ftw[/quote]

Yeah. I'm 6'1", so it's not like it's out of control by any means. I just need to move that weight from my stomach to everywhere else. I'm terribly out of shape. I should start riding my bike to work.

BTW, is MMA martial arts? I've never seen that acronym before.

EDIT: Google answered my question. PlzKThx.

Mixed Martial Arts = MMA

Spaceman Spiff 03-30-2009 04:22 PM

Coolness. We just got a show for this Friday, April 3rd.

Epidemechanical 03-30-2009 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;17152392]Yeah. I'm 6'1", so it's not like it's out of control by any means. I just need to move that weight from my stomach to everywhere else. I'm terribly out of shape. I should start riding my bike to work.

BTW, is MMA martial arts? I've never seen that acronym before.

EDIT: Google answered my question. PlzKThx.

Mixed Martial Arts = MMA[/QUOTE]

yes mixed martial arts i have been studying muay thai (standing) and jujitsu (ground) for the past 2 years

BenJammin 03-30-2009 04:26 PM

[QUOTE=Raayl;17152412]yes mixed martial arts i have been studying muay thai (standing) and jujitsu (ground) for the past 2 years[/QUOTE]

Nice. I used to do a mix of kung-fu and sambo a few years ago. Best shape I've ever been in, during that time.

FunkMetalBass 03-30-2009 04:27 PM

On a side note, my dad and I were having a discussion about cooking times on the back of frozen dinners. It led to the idea that we should make our own frozen snack line catering to high munchies. All directions will use the same oven temperature settings (420 deg) and we'll call the food line "Bake at 420."

If we could come up with an inexpensive way to do it, I think it would be a hit. The paraphernelia market is HUGE right now because marijuana popping up more and more in the news. Plus, because it is still illegal, anything related to it is considered "edgy," and edgy sh*t sells.

Somebody take the idea, run with it, and pay me 5%.

FunkMetalBass 03-30-2009 04:38 PM

[quote=Raayl;17152412]yes mixed martial arts i have been studying muay thai (standing) and jujitsu (ground) for the past 2 years[/quote]

That's pretty sweet. Ex-girlfriend of mine was a black belt (or whatever the jujitsu equivalent is) and went to practice 3 nights a week. She was ashamed to tell me and didn't want anybody knowing. We only dated for a couple months, but those 3 nights a week that she was "busy" without explanation wouldn't have been so strange had she told me. I was starting to think she was cheating on me or something, but I'm too casual and trusting in relationships that I never accused her or pestered her about it. Figured her guilty conscience would have gotten the best of her at some point.

Epidemechanical 03-30-2009 04:44 PM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;17152460]That's pretty sweet. Ex-girlfriend of mine was a black belt (or whatever the jujitsu equivalent is) and went to practice 3 nights a week. She was ashamed to tell me and didn't want anybody knowing. We only dated for a couple months, but those 3 nights a week that she was "busy" without explanation wouldn't have been so strange had she told me. I was starting to think she was cheating on me or something, but I'm too casual and trusting in relationships that I never accused her or pestered her about it. Figured her guilty conscience would have gotten the best of her at some point.[/QUOTE]

did you ever fight her

im getting certified to teach self defense soon

it will be great times

i try to teach my girlfriend but shes such a pansy lazy loser never wants to learn

FunkMetalBass 03-30-2009 05:02 PM

[quote=Raayl;17152477]did you ever fight her

im getting certified to teach self defense soon

it will be great times

i try to teach my girlfriend but shes such a pansy lazy loser never wants to learn[/quote]

No. Although if I had known while we were together, I probably would have fought her just to see her moves. I like to think I could've taken her because I was twice her size, but I'm sure the only way it would have worked is if I seriously planned on injuring her with a sneak attack. Otherwise I'm sure she would have laid me out flat.

Just start using your moves on her randomly (sparring, of course). Teach her to counter your specific move, and just keep using it on her until she, without thinking, counters your attack. Teach her a new counter every couple weeks.

:amaze: 03-30-2009 05:16 PM

[QUOTE=Raayl;17152362]200+ lbs club ftw[/QUOTE]

i'm in. 6'4" though, so relatively thin ...

Jody LeCompte 03-30-2009 05:17 PM

The problem with those "mma courses" is they don't necessarily instill the fact that you still want to be a clean fighter. I've got a friend who studies down here who thinks he's hot **** because he can win a fight by kicking someone dead in the eye. His instructor taught him to always go into the fight and make the first move of the first a kick to the face or chest. What the **** is that ****? You can kill somebody with that one hit. Nice little **** up to make in your front yard.

EDIT: 6'2 and 160 pounds. I'm a beanpole.

Spaceman Spiff 03-30-2009 05:19 PM

We've got 5 shows lined up, actually. And more to come (according to a guy who keeps getting/giving us shows). It's a good feeling.

Jody LeCompte 03-30-2009 05:22 PM

Have any new audio/live videos up and about? It's been a while since I've been around so I'm out of touch.

So that Portishhead album that FMB didn't upload and I didn't download is pretty ace.

BenJammin 03-30-2009 05:36 PM

Ugh, so close to graduating, but I have so little ambition left.

Spaceman Spiff 03-30-2009 05:43 PM

[QUOTE=Jody LeCompte;17152557]Have any new audio/live videos up and about? It's been a while since I've been around so I'm out of touch.

So that Portishhead album that FMB didn't upload and I didn't download is pretty ace.[/QUOTE]

All those March 20th videos make up a complete show we just played... on March 20th.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=cathardick&view=videos[/url]

And some songs you probably haven't heard up on our myspace.
[url]http://www.myspace.com/capitalaitch[/url]

What are you doing these days? It's been a while.

Cramboli 03-30-2009 05:45 PM

[QUOTE=BenJammin;17152582]Ugh, so close to graduating, but I have so little ambition left.[/QUOTE]

That's how I graduated...

Epidemechanical 03-30-2009 05:51 PM

[QUOTE=Jody LeCompte;17152544]The problem with those "mma courses" is they don't necessarily instill the fact that you still want to be a clean fighter. I've got a friend who studies down here who thinks he's hot **** because he can win a fight by kicking someone dead in the eye. His instructor taught him to always go into the fight and make the first move of the first a kick to the face or chest. What the **** is that ****? You can kill somebody with that one hit. Nice little **** up to make in your front yard.

EDIT: 6'2 and 160 pounds. I'm a beanpole.[/QUOTE]

i don't street fight

i might spar to practice techniques or to demonstrate but i only train for self defense and fitness purposes

that said ive been considering starting a record at the gym but i dont know, im not super die hard about it so i dont want to start for the wrong reasons

plus there is a distinct difference that i try to communicate to people when i teach them different techniques. competitive sport fighting =/= self defense

self defense uses "mortal strikes," or strikes and moves that are designed to cause serious injury to the body's weakest, most unprotected areas (groin, eyes, throat, temples)

competitive sport techniques involve grappling and less lethal activity

BenJammin 03-30-2009 06:07 PM

[QUOTE=Tripp_chaos;17152601]That's how I graduated...[/QUOTE]

Yes, but this is from university.

Cramboli 03-30-2009 06:16 PM

oh well...
A. Congrats...
B. oh...

Tryxx 03-30-2009 06:24 PM

I need to go to school, but I'm fuggin' lazy.

BenJammin 03-30-2009 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=Tryxx;17152639]I need to go to school, but I'm fuggin' lazy.[/QUOTE]

That's why I'm taking the next year off.

I figure going out into the working world with only a BA in English will be sufficient motivation for getting me to drag my a[size=2]ss[/size] back to school the year after.

Tryxx 03-30-2009 06:26 PM

[QUOTE=BenJammin;17152644]That's why I'm taking the next year off.

I figure going out into the working world with only a BA in English will be sufficient motivation for getting me to drag my a[size=2]ss[/size] back to school the year after.[/QUOTE]

I blew off my first 18 months in college. I skipped classes, etc. Basically stuff I never did in High School. Now I have no idea what I want to go for, and don't feel like going for some general degree.

Spaceman Spiff 03-30-2009 06:28 PM

I've got a decent enough job for the moment. I have an annual wage of just about $25,000 before taxes, so even after a year I'll have nuff money saved. Two years and I'll be straight ballin'.

My lifestyle demands very little spending. It'll be different when I don't live at home, but I'm still paying rent now, so it's not like I'm just saving all my money and freeloading.

Tryxx 03-30-2009 06:32 PM

[QUOTE=Spaceman Spiff;17152652]I've got a decent enough job for the moment. I have an annual wage of just about $25,000 before taxes, so even after a year I'll have nuff money saved. Two years and I'll be straight ballin'.

My lifestyle demands very little spending. It'll be different when I don't live at home, but I'm still paying rent now, so it's not like I'm just saving all my money and freeloading.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way at the moment. I've got enough money to buy this place, and do the updating I want. I even have enough money to pick up a half oz. of Grand Daddy Purple later this evening.

Spaceman Spiff 03-30-2009 06:33 PM

Last summer was the best summer for weed... perhaps ever. :lol:

It was a nonstop flow of Purple Kush. Hopefully we get it again this year.

Tryxx 03-30-2009 06:36 PM

[QUOTE=Spaceman Spiff;17152661]Last summer was the best summer for weed... perhaps ever. :lol:

It was a nonstop flow of Purple Kush. Hopefully we get it again this year.[/QUOTE]

From an online currency converter I'd be paying $290.00 for a half ounce. I've heard Grand Daddy Purple was great, but haven't had it.

BenJammin 03-30-2009 06:40 PM

[QUOTE=Spaceman Spiff;17152652]I've got a decent enough job for the moment. I have an annual wage of just about $25,000 before taxes, so even after a year I'll have nuff money saved. Two years and I'll be straight ballin'.

My lifestyle demands very little spending. It'll be different when I don't live at home, but I'm still paying rent now, so it's not like I'm just saving all my money and freeloading.[/QUOTE]

If you're smart with your money, you can live on very, very little.

Spaceman Spiff 03-30-2009 06:42 PM

[QUOTE=Tryxx;17152667]From an online currency converter I'd be paying $290.00 for a half ounce. I've heard Grand Daddy Purple was great, but haven't had it.[/QUOTE]

I've never heard of it, but that's an absolutely ludicrous price. The most I've ever paid/heard of paying for a full ounce of any weed is $300. The best stuff I've ever had never cost more than that, and I couldn't really imagine anything better than the best I've had.

Tryxx 03-30-2009 06:42 PM

[QUOTE=BenJammin;17152673]If you're smart with your money, you can live on very, very little.[/QUOTE]

Most of the time I hear a Canadian talk about living cheap they reference a show with something like Trailer Park Boys. What's that about?

Tryxx 03-30-2009 06:45 PM

[QUOTE=Spaceman Spiff;17152676]I've never heard of it, but that's an absolutely ludicrous price. The most I've ever paid/heard of paying for a full ounce of any weed is $300. The best stuff I've ever had never cost more than that, and I couldn't really imagine anything better than the best I've had.[/QUOTE]

Drow is just expensive around here in general. I don't know the prices of drow very well, I usually just buy a **** ton of shwag if I'm going to smoke. Either way, read this and tell me if your opinion changes: [url]http://www.kindgreenbuds.com/marijuana-strains/granddaddy_purple.html[/url]

BenJammin 03-30-2009 06:45 PM

[QUOTE=Tryxx;17152677]Most of the time I hear a Canadian talk about living cheap they reference a show with something like Trailer Park Boys. What's that about?[/QUOTE]

Lolwut? No, I don't mean living in a trailer.

Tryxx 03-30-2009 06:46 PM

[QUOTE=BenJammin;17152684]Lolwut? No, I don't mean living in a trailer.[/QUOTE]

I just don't know what's the show about. It's happened on more than enough occassions to make me ask.

Tryxx 03-30-2009 06:50 PM

Random question: Why is it that lately the bass forum has the most viewers out the other instrument forums, yet no traffic...?

Spaceman Spiff 03-30-2009 06:51 PM

[QUOTE=BenJammin;17152673]If you're smart with your money, you can live on very, very little.[/QUOTE]

I have a dream of living a pretty minimalist life. The only stuff I care to spend money on is music equipment, and even that I don't spend much on.

I don't really care about all the luxeries people constantly waste money on.

As long as I have some instruments, somewhere to sit, somewhere to sleep, and food to eat, I'm happy. I guess a computer would be my one real luxury item, which I would definitely use for recording, even if not professionally.

Spaceman Spiff 03-30-2009 07:06 PM

[QUOTE=Tryxx;17152682]Drow is just expensive around here in general. I don't know the prices of drow very well, I usually just buy a **** ton of shwag if I'm going to smoke. Either way, read this and tell me if your opinion changes: [url]http://www.kindgreenbuds.com/marijuana-strains/granddaddy_purple.html[/url][/QUOTE]

Eh, not really.

I smoke high quality stuff all the time, it can only get to a certain level until it's all pretty much the same. It'll just come down to taste/smell/high preference when you're smoking stuff that good.

Tryxx 03-30-2009 07:17 PM

[QUOTE=Spaceman Spiff;17152724]Eh, not really.

I smoke high quality stuff all the time, it can only get to a certain level until it's all pretty much the same. It'll just come down to taste/smell/high preference when you're smoking stuff that good.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. I'll try and get a local opinion on price.

Spaceman Spiff 03-30-2009 07:25 PM

[QUOTE=Tryxx;17152738]Gotcha. I'll try and get a local opinion on price.[/QUOTE]

Definitely ask around and see if anyone says it's worth. Also see what else you can get for less money but still high quality.

The prices may just reflect where you are, I'm only telling you what I know.

Tryxx 03-30-2009 07:28 PM

[QUOTE=Spaceman Spiff;17152744]Definitely ask around and see if anyone says it's worth. Also see what else you can get for less money but still high quality.

The prices may just reflect where you are, I'm only telling you what I know.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. I haven't actually dealt with anyone directly in a long time, so this is sort of a new experience.

BenJammin 03-30-2009 07:30 PM

Anyone got any exciting plans this summer?

Tryxx 03-30-2009 07:34 PM

Looks like the average price of drow down here is $20 a gram.

.5 oz = 14.1747 g = $280.00, so decent price.

Spaceman Spiff 03-30-2009 07:34 PM

[QUOTE=BenJammin;17152753]Anyone got any exciting plans this summer?[/QUOTE]

Recording an album and playing as many shows as possible.

The album is almost completely written and I'm really excited about it.

Other than that, I'll probably go on another camping trip with my friends and keep working my lame Mon-Fri job.