Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Punk (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The Official Clash & Joe Strummer Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304613)

cheeser_1 05-18-2005 02:39 PM

[QUOTE=guns_of_brixton]Sandinista was a rebellion/revolution in Nicaragua (I think) and the Republic of Biafra was some place where alot of people starved because of some thing that I don't remember.

I think...[/QUOTE]

yeah, nicaragua. this one's good to read up:
[url]http://www.lclark.edu/~woodrich/WoodhouseSandinista.html[/url]

and here:
Biafra, Republic of, secessionist state of W Africa, in existence from May 30, 1967, to Jan. 15, 1970. At the outset Biafra comprised, roughly, the East-Central, South-Eastern, and Rivers states of the Federation of Nigeria, where the Igbo people predominated. The country, which took its name from the Bight of Biafra (an arm of the Atlantic Ocean), was established by Igbos who felt they could not develop—or even survive—within Nigeria. In Sept., 1966, numerous Igbos had been killed in N Nigeria, where they had migrated in order to engage in commerce. The secessionist state was led by Lt. Col. Chukuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu and included some non-Igbos. Biafra's original capital was Enugu; Aba, Umuahia, and Owerri served successively as provisional capitals after Enugu was captured (Oct., 1967) by Nigerian forces. Seeking to maintain national unity, Nigeria imposed economic sanctions on Biafra from the start of the secession, and fighting between Nigeria and Biafra broke out in July, 1967. After initial Biafran advances, Nigeria attacked Biafra by air, land, and sea and gradually reduced the territory under its control. The breakaway state had insufficient resources at the start of the war—it was a net importer of food and had little industry—and depended heavily on its control of petroleum fields for funds to make purchases abroad. It lost the oil fields in the war, and more than one million of its civilian population are thought to have died as a result of severe malnutrition. At the time of its surrender on Jan. 15, 1970, Biafra was greatly reduced in size, its inhabitants were starving, and its leader, Ojukwu, had fled the country. During its existence Biafra was recognized by only five nations, although other countries gave moral or material support.

i didn't write that, obviously. also, it looks like biafra has a website: [url]http://www.biafraland.com/[/url]

Coma_Girl 05-18-2005 02:59 PM

i have an oral production to do on something i love and i think i'll choose the clash or Joe. I'm not sure. I have to say why I took that subject...I just don't know what to say about them though...there's so much to say, but nothing that will keep the class attention.
heeeeelp me.

cheeser_1 05-18-2005 03:02 PM

oral production?

Coma_Girl 05-18-2005 03:07 PM

[QUOTE=cheeser_1]oral production?[/QUOTE]
thats how we call that here...you know, you go in front of the class and talk :confused:

cheeser_1 05-18-2005 03:08 PM

[QUOTE=Coma_Girl]thats how we call that here...you know, you go in front of the class and talk :confused:[/QUOTE]
ah, gotcha. i'd probably call that a "presentation" or a "speech." but that's just how i would say it. i bet it would be cool to do a biography of joe, like, born on some day, life growing up, an overview of his life.

SlappedByTheClash 05-18-2005 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=Coma_Girl]thats how we call that here...you know, you go in front of the class and talk :confused:[/QUOTE]

Just steal my Profile of Joe and add to it/make it better, I won't turn you into the Feds.

Plaigarism is A-OK in my world.

guns_of_brixton 05-18-2005 04:52 PM

[QUOTE=SlappedByTheClash]Just steal my Profile of Joe and add to it/make it better, I won't turn you into the Feds.

Plaigarism is A-OK in my world.[/QUOTE]

Not a bad idea at all.

By the way the Canadian Feds are beavers.

Coma_Girl 05-18-2005 04:59 PM

I have to make it emotive cause if people cry, the teacher will appreciate it. It's supposed to be about something/someone you love or who changed your life...but I don't think I'll make people cry with something about Joe cause they just dont care.

SlappedByTheClash 05-18-2005 05:04 PM

[QUOTE=Coma_Girl]I have to make it emotive cause if people cry, the teacher will appreciate it. It's supposed to be about something/someone you love or who changed your life...but I don't think I'll make people cry with something about Joe cause they just dont care.[/QUOTE]

It's all about presentation, sweetheart.

Even if the subject matter is uninteresting to some, if you make it good, they will cry.

Drama skills are important in speeches.

guns_of_brixton 05-18-2005 05:07 PM

Is it in English or French?

To make it emotional you could quote lyrics from some of Joe's/The Clash's more emotional songs.

Coma_Girl 05-18-2005 05:08 PM

in french...so i cant really quote songs cause in french it sounds gay

guns_of_brixton 05-18-2005 05:09 PM

Oh... maybe you could still say some in English.

Jessizzle 05-18-2005 05:10 PM

Just talk about when he died then start crying.

CombatRock 05-18-2005 05:58 PM

[QUOTE=Coma_Girl]I have to make it emotive cause if people cry, the teacher will appreciate it. It's supposed to be about something/someone you love or who changed your life...but I don't think I'll make people cry with something about Joe cause they just dont care.[/QUOTE]

yea they wouldnt cry if they dont know the guy. just educate them about him then they might start listening to his work.

guns_of_brixton 05-18-2005 08:46 PM

Next year for photography hopefully I'll have the chance to do a project on the Clash.

CombatRock 05-18-2005 09:02 PM

in my speech class we had to do a little paper about somthing going on. and it was about the time the clash 25 london calling thing came out. so i wrote a paper on it.

Fabz 05-18-2005 11:45 PM

Well I like this guy...Joe Strummer can someone give me some good songs to download ;)

Coma_Girl 05-18-2005 11:58 PM

ohhh...post number 2000!!Thanks to the Joe Strummer thread, I couldn't have made it without you. :thumb:

Fab, you should download Straight To Hell, Clampdown, Death Or Glory, I'm So Bored With The USA, White Man In Hammersmith Palais, Complete Control, Magnificient 7 for his Clash days

and for his mescaleros work, I suggest Coma Girl, Get Down Moses, Long Shadow, Redemption Song (cover), Yalla Yalla, Tony Adams, Cool'n'Out, Johnny Appleseed, Bindhi Bangee (or something like that) and Shaktar Donesk (or something like that)

:wave:

Fabz 05-19-2005 12:00 AM

Félicitation! YAY

CombatRock 05-19-2005 01:40 PM

[QUOTE=Fabz]Well I like this guy...Joe Strummer can someone give me some good songs to download ;)[/QUOTE]

go buy London Calling and The Clash. and if you have enough money get Give em Enough Rope.

SlappedByTheClash 05-19-2005 03:00 PM

I actually like Give Em Enough Rope better than the self titled.

But not by much, mind you.

guns_of_brixton 05-19-2005 03:34 PM

GEER is very good, but could be much better if the production was simpler, like if they got rid of the gay keyboard on Guns on the Roof, which is otherwise an awesome song.

Coma_Girl 05-19-2005 03:49 PM

i think my favorite songs ever are straight to hell and clampdown and death or glory.

and my friend dwled the movie Straight To Hell and he's gonna put it on a tape for me :cool:

CombatRock 05-19-2005 04:44 PM

[QUOTE=SlappedByTheClash]I actually like Give Em Enough Rope better than the self titled.

But not by much, mind you.[/QUOTE]

same here. Stay Free is such a great song.

cheeser_1 05-19-2005 06:03 PM

[QUOTE=guns_of_brixton]GEER is very good, but could be much better if the production was simpler, like if they got rid of the gay keyboard on Guns on the Roof, which is otherwise an awesome song.[/QUOTE]
i hate it when keyboards are attracted to keyboards of the same gender. those dirty bastards. that's why they should get rid of them. because they're gay.

on the other hand, the dropkick murphys did a good cover of guns of brixton.

guns_of_brixton 05-19-2005 06:07 PM

[QUOTE=cheeser_1]i hate it when keyboards are attracted to keyboards of the same gender. those dirty bastards. that's why they should get rid of them. because they're gay.

on the other hand, the dropkick murphys did a good cover of guns of brixton.[/QUOTE]

Well I never said we should get rid of the gay keyboards :p.

And if I could somehow get hooked up with an mp3 for that cover it would be greatly appreciated...

guns_of_brixton 05-19-2005 06:14 PM

One Emotion is such a cool song. Awesome little bass solo.

cheeser_1 05-19-2005 06:15 PM

[QUOTE=guns_of_brixton]And if I could somehow get hooked up with an mp3 for that cover it would be greatly appreciated...[/QUOTE]
i am in the process of re-ripping my record collection. okay, well, actually, i haven't started that process. but i'm going to eventually. most of them sound too crappy, and i think i've got it set up better now. i just have to sit down and do them all.

however, i do have that one. you can get it (for a very limited time) here:

EDIT: i took it down. you know. because that's how things are done. if anybody else really really wants it, let me know.

guns_of_brixton 05-19-2005 06:31 PM

Its a cool cover, I like how the bass sounds.

metty16 05-19-2005 07:14 PM

same