Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rock & Metal (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Metalcore (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526384)

i am the robots 08-30-2007 03:50 PM

[QUOTE=lunchforthesky;15219555]What kind is their other than "the fake kind".

it pretty much all blends together whether it's good metalcore like Botch, Killswitch or Converge or lame stuff like As I Lay Dying. It's more just personal preference rather than a huge difference in sound.[/QUOTE]

I'm saying the whole bandwagon of As I Lay Dying type bands that like, don't sound the least bit like hardcore in any way. idk, it's always irritated me.

lunchforthesky 08-30-2007 03:52 PM

[QUOTE=i am the robots;15219569]I'm saying the whole bandwagon of As I Lay Dying type bands that like, don't sound the least bit like hardcore in any way. idk, it's always irritated me.[/QUOTE]

Aah okay I get you.

Most metalcore bands are just metal anyway.

The number of actual 50/50 mix of the two is pretty small.

Converge, Botch, Poison the Well and shitty Throwdown. I'm sure there's others obviously.

Tyler 08-30-2007 03:52 PM

You mean the boring bands with stolen In Flames leads?

Deathcrush 08-30-2007 03:53 PM

[QUOTE=lunchforthesky;15219575]Most metalcore bands are just metal anyway. [/QUOTE]

:lol: :lol:

i am the robots 08-30-2007 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=Deathcrush;15219583]:lol: :lol:[/QUOTE]

They are.

[QUOTE=Cocaine;15219576]You mean the boring bands with stolen In Flames leads?[/QUOTE]

Yus. I'm quite glad that trend's dying.

masscows 08-30-2007 04:04 PM

[QUOTE=Cocaine;15219541]Deathcore is such bullpoop. Entombed have more hardcore in their sound than most "deathcore" bands but you wouldn't dare call them that.[/QUOTE]

It has more to do with what influences a band takes from hardcore/metalcore.

Deathcrush 08-30-2007 04:04 PM

[QUOTE=i am the robots;15219597]They are.[/QUOTE]

Well I should admit that I haven't heard "most metalcore bands", but I have heard more than the average "R&M listener".

Converge/As I Lay Dying/Killswitch Engage/Posion the Well/any band I've seen mentioned in this thread in the last couple of pages are clearly not metal bands, so which bands within metalcore [I]are[/I]? I must be missing out on all the big names if most metalcore bands are metal bands, because I'm yet to hear such a statement be proven.

lunchforthesky 08-30-2007 04:06 PM

Wait you think KSE aren't a metal band? erm what?

Deathcrush 08-30-2007 04:08 PM

[QUOTE=lunchforthesky;15219640]Wait you think KSE aren't a metal band? erm what?[/QUOTE]

KSE are not a metal band. They have a lot more metal influence in songs and overall sound than any of the other bands I listed (only speaking about Alive or Just Breathing release), but no, they're not a metal band.

lunchforthesky 08-30-2007 04:11 PM

[QUOTE=Deathcrush;15219647]KSE are not a metal band. They have a lot more metal influence in songs and overall sound than any of the other bands I listed (only speaking about Alive or Just Breathing release), but no, they're not a metal band.[/QUOTE]

Yeah they are.

They sure as hell aren't hardcore.

Deathcrush 08-30-2007 04:12 PM

wait arent we in a metalcore thread wat

lunchforthesky 08-30-2007 04:13 PM

Yeah but KSE have pretty much no hardcore influence at all.

So what's metalcore minus the hardcore?

Yes you guessed it folks, it's metal!!

Deathcrush 08-30-2007 04:14 PM

Well I don't really know anything at all about metal so I guess you win.

masscows 08-30-2007 04:20 PM

[QUOTE=lunchforthesky;15219667]Yeah but KSE have pretty much no hardcore influence at all.

So what's metalcore minus the hardcore?

Yes you guessed it folks, it's metal!![/QUOTE]

jun jun wee

i am the robots 08-30-2007 04:22 PM

[QUOTE=Deathcrush;15219671]Well I don't really know anything at all about metal so I guess you win.[/QUOTE]

No, it just seems that you can't get over the fact that even though it's a pretty watered down commercialized form, it can still be metal, regardless of how much you dislike it. Your sarcasm is poorly placed because you're just wrong. :lol:

[QUOTE=Deathcrush;15219633]Well I should admit that I haven't heard "most metalcore bands", but I have heard more than the average "R&M listener".

Converge/As I Lay Dying/Killswitch Engage/Posion the Well/any band I've seen mentioned in this thread in the last couple of pages are clearly not metal bands, so which bands within metalcore [I]are[/I]? I must be missing out on all the big names if most metalcore bands are metal bands, because I'm yet to hear such a statement be proven.[/QUOTE]

Bring Me The Horizon, It Dies Today, Dead To Fall, August Burns Red, Bleeding Through, Lamb Of God, Chimaira, Caliban, Darkest Hour, Dead Man In Reno, etc.

All of those bands have the most minimal, if any, hardcore influence, and get labeled as metalcore a lot.

Of course you're gonna go on about how they're not metal.

Deathcrush 08-30-2007 04:27 PM

I'm actually more interested in: "all of those bands have the most minimal, if any, hardcore influence, and get labeled as metalcore a lot".

I don't understand why you would use the bands that are least suitably labeled as metalcore, within the genre, as an example for what "most metalcore bands" play.

i am the robots 08-30-2007 04:27 PM

Uhh... I'm talking about the stuff that kids think of as metalcore silly.

Deathcrush 08-30-2007 04:30 PM

Well I'm not denying that there are bands that are more "metal" than "metalcore", yet still get labelled as such, but I was arguing against the absurd statement "most metalcore bands just play metal".

I wouldn't be in this damn thread if it weren't for the wine, anyway.

i am the robots 08-30-2007 04:31 PM

And I just answered you, obviously the wine's owning your reading comprehension.

2muchket! 08-30-2007 04:35 PM

Stuff gets labeled metalcore now because every single fashion metal band over uses breakdowns. You tend to find that those who actually utilize both metal and hardcore into their sound have better breakdowns anyway. But thats not really relevant to the argument is it.

Deathcrush 08-30-2007 04:39 PM

[QUOTE=i am the robots;15219755]And I just answered you, obviously the wine's owning your reading comprehension.[/QUOTE]

No, obviously my attempt at cooling down the thread didn't work.

He said: most metalcore bands just play metal

I said: no, incorrect, not true

you said: they are

then you said: metal is still metal, just because it's watered down it doesn't mean it's not metal (which I have completely ignored, intentionally)

then you listed: a bunch of bands that are often labeled as metalcore, but maybe shouldn't be since you're making a point of how they have hardly any hardcore influence(and as watered down as it is, I do agree that those bands have strong metal influence and could be considered "metal")

then I: made point of how that list is irrelevent because the initial statement I was arguing against regarded "most metalcore bands"

you said: "Uhh... I'm talking about the stuff that kids think of as metalcore silly."

Well I wasn't. I was talking about [I]metal[/I] and [I]metalcore[/I], not the stuff that kids think of as metal and metalcore.

2muchket! 08-30-2007 04:44 PM

Theres a communication breakdown there. what I think he tried to say was that most "metalcore" bands today just play breakdown metal. I think thats a fairer statement than calling them metalcore. Old metalcore bands did have more of 50/50 split which is not true for many bands today.

At least thats what I interpreted it as.

Ibanez Slayer 08-30-2007 04:45 PM

Uhm, I'm really into my local grindcore, metalcore and hardcore scene. (HXC if you wanna be a genre dick about punk)

Does that count?

i am the robots 08-30-2007 04:46 PM

[QUOTE=Frankie;15219841]Theres a communication breakdown there. what I think he tried to say was that most "metalcore" bands today just play breakdown metal. I think thats a fairer statement than calling them metalcore. Old metalcore bands did have more of 50/50 split which is not true for many bands today.

At least thats what I interpreted it as.[/QUOTE]

This.

Deathcrush 08-30-2007 04:49 PM

[QUOTE=Frankie;15219841]Theres a communication breakdown there. what I think he tried to say was that most "metalcore" bands today just play breakdown metal. I think thats a fairer statement than calling them metalcore. Old metalcore bands did have more of 50/50 split which is not true for many bands today.

At least thats what I interpreted it as.[/QUOTE]

I'd already gathered that he was perhaps refering to the "bands today" that "just play breakdown metal"; however I was only arguing against what [I]lunchforthesky[/I] said, which was "most metalcore bands just play metal".

If what "he tried to say" was what [I]lunchforthesky[/I] was really trying to say, perhaps he just should have said that rather than "most metalcore bands just play metal".

Repped for unintentionally hilarious use of the word "breakdown" in a metalcore thread, however. :lol:

2muchket! 08-30-2007 05:03 PM

Haha fair enough mate. Don't get why it was hilarious personally.

Deathcrush 08-30-2007 05:06 PM

I have to admit (and I've edited my previous post accordingly) that I thought you and lunchforthesky were the same person due to your avatars. :-/

i am the robots 08-30-2007 05:17 PM

Frankie's actually cool though.

Deathcrush 08-30-2007 05:18 PM

Yeah, I did sense a surge of adequate coolness all of a sudden when he entered the conversation.

i am the robots 08-30-2007 05:39 PM

I'm so hard right now.