Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rock & Metal (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Any other Stoner/Doom metal fans? (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309012)

Iron Bars 04-04-2007 09:51 AM

[QUOTE=Daven;14483090]Or just learn to play the drums, like the most basic rhythms. It's not so hard.[/QUOTE]

My brother is thinking about buying an old drumkit.

What program do you use for the drums now Pate?

pate 04-04-2007 12:32 PM

GuitarPro >_>

Shattered_Future 04-04-2007 12:54 PM

lolz.

I use DKFH samples, but I need to learn how to utilize more of them. As is, I usually have the drum sounds at one intensity. I need to learn how to utilize the softer and harder hits instead of just using one hit.

I can play drums...kinda. Not well enough for what I want to do though. That, and I don't have a decent way to mic my drums.

heavy metal kid 04-04-2007 01:03 PM

So, I'm starting a Stoner/Doom/Progressive band.

This is a hughe change for me, I've always played Death Metal, Technical Death and Thrash.

This idea came to my mind when I realized that there wasn't any Stoner or Doom bands in my hometown, so I like to deliver something new and experimental.

The band consist in:

Me: Bass, Vocals, Keyboards, Additional Guitars, Synths.
My friend: Guitar, Drums.

My friend is a really talented guitarist, but he only plays thrash so this is new to him, but we are gonna start playing music I wrote.

pate 04-04-2007 03:31 PM

Mike: What program do you use the DKFM in? Please don't say FL.

Shattered_Future 04-04-2007 06:19 PM

[QUOTE=pate;14484670]Mike: What program do you use the [B]DKFM[/B] in? Please don't say FL.[/QUOTE]

Drumkit From Mars? Drumkit For Men? :p

I use Garageband. Which is helpful to the other 3 people on the whole forum who use Macs as well. :smash:

pate 04-04-2007 06:56 PM

lol typo

Damn. I hate Fruity Loops. I'd prefer to use the DKFH through GP, but that doesn't work. :(

Shattered_Future 04-04-2007 07:24 PM

I dunno, my friend has Fruity Loops and you can do some pretty good stuff with that program. It's kinda hard to use, but once you learn it works well.

ATM 04-04-2007 07:29 PM

Fruity Loops is pretty sweet.

pate 04-04-2007 07:29 PM

I don't think it's hard to use, it's just very rigid, whereas with GP I can do whatever rhythms and note durations I want.

Shattered_Future 04-04-2007 08:00 PM

Yeah, that was a problem I had too. Fruity Loops is mad rigid.

I am listening to Senmuth right now. Very cool. It's labeled as "instrumental ethnic doom metal". Whatever the hell that means.

Phototropic 04-05-2007 06:04 AM

[QUOTE=heavy metal kid;14483873]So, I'm starting a Stoner/Doom/Progressive band.

[B]This is a hughe change for me, I've always played Death Metal, Technical Death and Thrash.[/B]

This idea came to my mind when I realized that there wasn't any Stoner or Doom bands in my hometown, so I like to deliver something new and experimental.

The band consist in:

Me: Bass, Vocals, Keyboards, Additional Guitars, Synths.
My friend: Guitar, Drums.

My friend is a really talented guitarist, but he only plays thrash so this is new to him, but we are gonna start playing music I wrote.[/QUOTE]

you should maybe learn to write stoner / doom then, its not that simple to change over from one to the other

bad reason to start a band in my opinion, shouldnt you start it because you love the type of music so much?

Jondur 04-05-2007 06:37 AM

[QUOTE=pate;14486008]I don't think it's hard to use, it's just very rigid, whereas with GP I can do whatever rhythms and note durations I want.[/QUOTE]

I know I'm a moaning old fart but the issue isn't really the drum sounds it's the beats. the transitions between sections to be precise. A real drummer just wouldn't play like that.

Which is why an electronic kit wouldn't solve the sounds (as by and large they still don't perfectly recreate the sound of a real kit) but they would add the feel and 'realness' factor.

And if you want real drums, stop worrying about micing up so much - this isn't technical death metal - you want your drums to sound like drums. Stick a large piece of plywood on the floor, set your drums up on it, stick one mic in the kick drum and set two overheads up. You'll be surprised by the results.

pate 04-05-2007 07:39 AM

[QUOTE=Jondur;14488643]I know I'm a moaning old fart but the issue isn't really the drum sounds it's the beats. the transitions between sections to be precise. A real drummer just wouldn't play like that.

Which is why an electronic kit wouldn't solve the sounds (as by and large they still don't perfectly recreate the sound of a real kit) but they would add the feel and 'realness' factor.
[/QUOTE]

I'm looking in to e-kits, but they're too damned expensive. I may end up with one of the little pad things.

I'm on a huge Orange Goblin kick. :thumb:

Also, Jondur: I'm seeing Solitude Aeturnus in 2 weeks.

Jondur 04-05-2007 08:59 AM

[QUOTE=pate;14488829]I'm looking in to e-kits, but they're too damned expensive. I may end up with one of the little pad things. [/QUOTE]

If money is your main problem buy a real kit. You can get them dirt cheap

[QUOTE]Also, Jondur: I'm seeing Solitude Aeturnus in 2 weeks.[/QUOTE]

Bastard. Never seen them live but I know they'll be fantastic. Do me a favour and don't tell me about afterwards! I handle jealousy badly!

ATM 04-05-2007 09:00 AM

People always play the electric kits at work as if they are real drums, it's funny to see the drum counter guys freaking out.

pate 04-05-2007 09:28 AM

[QUOTE=Jondur;14489105]

Bastard. Never seen them live but I know they'll be fantastic. Do me a favour and don't tell me about afterwards! I handle jealousy badly![/QUOTE]

Deal.

Shattered_Future 04-05-2007 10:27 AM

[QUOTE=Jondur;14488643]And if you want real drums, stop worrying about micing up so much - this isn't technical death metal - you want your drums to sound like drums. Stick a large piece of plywood on the floor, set your drums up on it, stick one mic in the kick drum and set two overheads up. You'll be surprised by the results.[/QUOTE]

The problem is I don't HAVE 3 mics to set up, nor do I have the capabilities to do it. My preamp only accepts 2. :lol:

SoundDevastation 04-05-2007 03:48 PM

ok this thread is very long and i cant be arsed to read all of it.

Anyone into Extreme doom/drone?

Khanate
Atavist
Nadja
Moss
Wolfmangler
ASVA
etc?

Shattered_Future 04-05-2007 05:36 PM

Never really got into drone that much. A bit too repetitive for my tastes.

I'm very mad at my copy of Through The Darkest Hour right now. It was skipping on The 8th Day. :mad:

pate 04-05-2007 06:39 PM

Oh noe!!!!!! That is such a perfect album.

Shattered_Future 04-05-2007 07:40 PM

Yeah, I'm actually really liking SA. I don't usually like the production values that they use, but for some reason it works out well for them.

Nuke Broadcast 04-05-2007 08:24 PM

[QUOTE=SoundDevastation;14491198]ok this thread is very long and i cant be arsed to read all of it.

Anyone into Extreme doom/drone?

Khanate
Atavist
Nadja
Moss
Wolfmangler
ASVA
etc?[/QUOTE]

ive got some asva and khanate cd's, but drone makes me fall asleep.

SoundDevastation 04-06-2007 02:52 AM

Fall asleep?! i think id end up with horrible nightmares if i fell asleep to Svarte Greiner or AEthanor.

Khanate though.. what a band. i love them so.. damn O'Malley for making them split up!

Iron Bars 04-06-2007 04:12 AM

Khanate, isn't that the band from which one of the Sunn)))0 guitarists came?

NP: Cathedral - Stained Glas Horizons

Cathedral is still my favorite Doom band I gues. The vocals blow me away every time.

SoundDevastation 04-06-2007 06:07 AM

Yes.. Stephen O'Malley of Sunn O))), Teeth Of Lions Rule The Devine, Gunnungagap, AEthanor and 1776543 more projects..

Khanate got him where he is now, and is far superior to everything else he's ever done. ever.

the2stranger 04-06-2007 07:05 AM

I enjoy me quite some drone.
Khanate is pretty excellent, the vocals are so tortured.
TOTLRTD is great too.

As far as other drone is concerned I'm reallyenjoying the new Nadja.
So relaxing.

Any one heard of Orthodox? They're a spanish drone band,I guess you could classify them a bit as HEX: Or Printing in the Infernal Method by EARTH, bt with some ethnic sounds too.
I wasn't that impressed on the first listen ,but might want to give it another spin.

SoundDevastation 04-06-2007 07:10 AM

Orthodox is awesome.. do need to listen to more of that Earth release though.. and i havent got the new Nadja yet either... is that on Profound Lore? if so i might try getting some into our shop..

pate 04-06-2007 07:19 AM

[QUOTE=Shattered_Future;14492695]Yeah, I'm actually really liking SA. I don't usually like the production values that they use, but for some reason it works out well for them.[/QUOTE]

They are like my favorite band. Beyond the Crimson Horizon may well be my favorite album of all time.

And, I'm seeing them live with, you guessed it, Novembers Doom and others in 2 weeks. :p:p

the2stranger 04-06-2007 07:31 AM

[QUOTE=SoundDevastation;14495577]Orthodox is awesome.. do need to listen to more of that Earth release though.. and i havent got the new Nadja yet either... is that on Profound Lore? if so i might try getting some into our shop..[/QUOTE]

The new Nadja was released on Archive label and only 600 copies were made, so I bet you'll have a hard time finding them. :(

But it's really good,one track, and over an hour of ambient, chilling drone.