Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Literature & Lyrics (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Community Thread / Tips and Questions (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295515)

FA 07-20-2006 04:08 PM

[QUOTE=slack]I'm bored, and this book rules, so here's the first paragraph of [i]Already Dead[/i] by Denis Johnson.

[i]August 7, 1990

Van Ness felt a gladness and wonder as he drove past the small isolated towns along U.S. 101 in Northern California, a certain interest, a yearning, because he sensed they were places a person could disappear into. [B]They felt like little naps you might never wake up from--you might throw a tire and hike to a gas station and stumble unexpectedly onto the rest of your life[/B], the people who would finally mean something to you, a woman, an immortal friend, a saving fellowship in the religion of some obscure church. But such a thing as small as a detour into deep and permanent changes, at the time, anyway, that he was travelling down the coast fro Seattle into Mendocino County, wasn't even to be dreamt of in Van Ness's world.[/i][/QUOTE]

Beautiful.

slack 07-21-2006 05:16 PM

[QUOTE=False Advertising]Beautiful.[/QUOTE]You should post something new.

sportsfan4427 07-21-2006 07:10 PM

is that book like a diary or a novel

slack 07-21-2006 10:55 PM

novel.

drumass04 07-23-2006 10:11 AM

Sounds like a great read!

Timmy

slack 07-23-2006 03:24 PM

what do you guys think

[url]http://www.myspace.com/barterthetrigger[/url]

Nightvision 07-24-2006 09:27 AM

[QUOTE=drumass04]Jason changed his name...that had me confused for a while!

Timmy[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got bored of Jason101 - kind of plain, so I had a change.

Welcome to the summer lull, peeps. Is it just me, or is it too frigging hot to critique or write anything? I just don't feel like doing anything at all.

I read 'The Big Over Easy' by Jasper Fforde the other day - nothing special, but pretty funny in places. Nice summer reading - doesn't make the brain work any harder than it has to. :)

TheBigMachine 07-25-2006 06:45 AM

Brains are over rated in any case.
Its *oshi I almost revealed myself*
Thank god for the sneaky edit.

FA 07-25-2006 02:32 PM

[QUOTE=slack]You should post something new.[/QUOTE]
Eh...we'll see I guess, maybe I will within the next week or so.

[QUOTE=slack]what do you guys think

[url]http://www.myspace.com/barterthetrigger[/url][/QUOTE]

Very good for that genre I suppose. I'm not a big PH music fan, but I can listen to some, it doesn't bother me. What do you play? I actually enjoyed it..

drumass04 07-25-2006 03:36 PM

Blimey, this new guy Surf can write!!! His first piece he's posted and I very nearly gave it a 10/10!!!

I hope he sticks around.

Timmy

Surf 07-25-2006 05:12 PM

[QUOTE]Blimey, this new guy Surf can write!!! His first piece he's posted and I very nearly gave it a 10/10!!!

I hope he sticks around.

Timmy[/QUOTE]

thanks, i'll try to stick around. I'll post something else soon (when its written) but until then, i'll carry on crit-ing other work.

i've had a look at your piece, hope i was of some help, but there wasn't much i could say

slack 07-25-2006 06:07 PM

[QUOTE=False Advertising]

Very good for that genre I suppose. I'm not a big PH music fan, but I can listen to some, it doesn't bother me. What do you play? I actually enjoyed it..[/QUOTE]Guitar, but not in that band. :upset: I just think they're one of the better bands in the Omaha 'scene'. They might get lucky if they don't implode. :)

FA 07-25-2006 11:43 PM

[QUOTE=slack]Guitar, but not in that band. :upset: I just think they're one of the better bands in the Omaha 'scene'. They might get lucky if they don't implode. :)[/QUOTE]

ahh, I getcha. I love Omaha, I'll be down there in september for a show. Possibly twice, more than likely once though, because the first show is on the day I start school up at uni.

TojesDolan 07-26-2006 06:02 PM

Hi guys. There's no random discussion forum anymore, so let's say hi in here.

I've been confused lately, so it's good for my writing. :D

Birkenschubser 07-26-2006 07:23 PM

Hi folkz!
Greetz from Germany, hope I can improve my English and read some beautiful lyrics here! :)

Oh, and Iīd really like to know what native-speakers think of MY lyrics, so be aware - get out your red pencils and put on your nasty proof-reading-smiles. :naughty:

TheBigMachine 07-27-2006 01:14 AM

Are they in german?

Birkenschubser 07-27-2006 10:07 AM

Oh no, I suppose it would be wasted time to post German lyrics in an English forum. wouldnīt it? :p

No, Iīm interested in the reactions of native speakers -
For I really like writing (lyrics) and try to improve my oral & writing English in every way. :thumb:

Nightvision 07-27-2006 01:00 PM

Christ, emex is like a damn soap opera these days. I leave to spend a few days playing tennis and cricket, and suddenly the pit's closed.

Mind you, I'm not really that bothered - I only posted there if there were decent folks in there - some of the aussie guys were pretty funny.

Not like in here - all the Aussies here are jerks. ;)

drumass04 07-27-2006 01:40 PM

Haha!! I only really went in there to see how ridiculous the arguments had become! As long as the jerks don't start infiltrating the other forums, I don't really care that it's gone.

I've finally started getting some inspiration again, so I'm out to crit. Look out for my new writing, it should be on soon!

Timmy

Nightvision 07-27-2006 02:40 PM

that's good to hear, Timmy - I've missed reading your stuff, even though I just don't have the motivation to write anything myself.

drumass04 07-27-2006 03:21 PM

Yeah, it's ben a strange time for me really...been incredibly busy, but there hasn't been anything to inspire me. So its great that inspiration has come just before going away for 3 weeks walking and biking. The countryside and the mountains will just serve to bring even more poetry :)

I do have a piece floating around at the moment; 'The Song of Fond Farewells', it feels a little like a blast from the past...if you feel like taking a read and leaving a short comment. If not then don't worry about it, and I hope you find inspiration soon!!!

Timmy

Birkenschubser 07-27-2006 04:11 PM

Aaaaaa, I still canīt open a new thread...
And Iīm burning with obsession to show you my lyrics. *gg*
Whatever, Birchhustler (thatīs my nick in English) will wait. :p

drumass04 07-27-2006 04:16 PM

You have to wait a day before you can start your own thread. :p

Timmy

slack 07-27-2006 06:10 PM

Ok, so Jose Gonzalez is amazing. Pick up [i]Veneer[/i] immediately.

TheBigMachine 07-27-2006 08:28 PM

[QUOTE]Not like in here - all the Aussies here are jerks.[/QUOTE]
Im offened!:p

FA 07-28-2006 12:58 AM

[QUOTE=slack]Ok, so Jose Gonzalez is amazing. Pick up [i]Veneer[/i] immediately.[/QUOTE]

ehh, I have it..."had" it...I wasn't that impressed musically, but I'm picky...I prefer Rocky Votolato over him anyday...

Nightvision 07-28-2006 03:40 AM

You know it's true really. Especially that Perfect Sonnet guy. What a fag, everyone knows Bright Eyes is emo and emo is gay.

I'm actually feeling vaguely inspired today, so I might do a few short critiques if I get time a bit later. :)

TheBigMachine 07-28-2006 06:54 AM

Personalities and Credit Cards! Dooooo it!! By the way, this is Mitch.

slack 07-28-2006 07:41 PM

[QUOTE=False Advertising]ehh, I have it..."had" it...I wasn't that impressed musically, but I'm picky...I prefer Rocky Votolato over him anyday...[/QUOTE]:upset:

I've been listening to it so much lately. I love it. I bought Thom Yorke's new one too, but maybe I should've picked up something else. It's definately a grower.

I've never heard of Rocky Votolato. :ashamed:

FA 07-29-2006 12:55 AM

[QUOTE=slack]:upset:

I've been listening to it so much lately. I love it. I bought Thom Yorke's new one too, but maybe I should've picked up something else. It's definately a grower.

I've never heard of Rocky Votolato. :ashamed:[/QUOTE]

Rocky Votolato is amazing...check him out...definitetly check him out. I listened to Gonzalez but couldn't get into him. It's not him...it's me. :p :lol: