PDA

View Full Version : Delay/Echo effect for Rockabilly?

Nick89
10-09-2010, 02:56 AM
Hey, i have a Boss DD-6 atm.

I want something different that sounds more old school.
Going for that rockabilly slap back echo.

Any suggestions on what to buy?

I_am_the_one
10-09-2010, 04:33 AM
Add a SansAmp GT2 to your guitar/amp set up and for old school rockabilly set it as follows:

Level: 11 O'clock
High: Between 9 and 3 O'clock
Low: Between 9 and 3 O'clock
Drive: Between 10 and 12 O'clock
MIC: Off Axis
MOD: Clean
AMP: Tweed

Set your DD6:

E.Level: Between 2 and 4 O'clock
F.Back: 10 O'clock
D.Time: Between 11 and 1 O'clock
Mode: Between 80 and 300ms

Set your amp on a CLEAN channel/sound and NO Reverb and there you go...old school rockabilly slap back echo set up!

jaklyons
10-09-2010, 07:43 AM
lol vanwarp

Just dial in a fast, slapback delay. DD-6 will do just fine IMO (or any other delay pedal you care to name tbh, digital or not), but if you want something a bit more old-school you should look into getting an analogue delay.

I_am_the_one
10-09-2010, 09:19 AM
...if you want something a bit more old-school you should look into getting an analogue delay.

:lol:

Sad But True
10-09-2010, 09:37 AM
:lol:

What? He was right. The proper slapback delay sound is analogue anyway.

jaklyons
10-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Of course, you could always get a Zoom G2.1u.

Kuffuffled
10-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Of course, you could always get a Zoom G2.1u.

I was going to suggest this

I_am_the_one
10-09-2010, 01:00 PM
I want something different that sounds more old school.
Going for that rockabilly slap back echo.

Any suggestions on what to buy?

The TS wants something that sounds more old school...he is going for that rockabilly slap back echo sound. In my view, for a more authentic old school rockabilly sound one would require a Fender Bassman amp. If one does not own such an amp, then one can achieve a Fender Bassman sound using the clean channel of just about any tube amp along WITH a SansAmp GT2 (using the settings I previously suggested on my earlier post). A digital or analogue delay doesn't really matter, any one of them will give him the effect he needs to complete the rockabilly slap back echo sound he is going for...

:chug:

jaklyons
10-09-2010, 03:00 PM
lol vanwarp

Nick - I have limited experience with analogue delay pedals, but I have tried the MXR Carbon Copy, which is pretty cool. I hear good things about the Earthquaker Disaster Transport as well, could be worth checking out.

I_am_the_one
10-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Nick - I have limited experience...

That pretty much says it all!

jaklyons
10-10-2010, 06:26 AM
Well yeah, if you delete the rest.

lol vanwarp

I_am_the_one
10-10-2010, 10:20 AM
lol vanwarp

That about sums it all up for you, doesn't it?

Kuffuffled
10-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Well yeah, if you delete the rest.

lol vanwarp

lol vanwarplol vanwarplol vanwarplol vanwarplol vanwarplol vanwarplol vanwarplol vanwarp

lol vanwarp

Xomblies
10-10-2010, 04:16 PM
jaklyons, what the fuck is wrong with you today?

Sad But True
10-10-2010, 06:35 PM
The TS wants something that sounds more old school...he is going for that rockabilly slap back echo sound. In my view, for a more authentic old school rockabilly sound one would require a Fender Bassman amp. If one does not own such an amp, then one can achieve a Fender Bassman sound using the clean channel of just about any tube amp along WITH a SansAmp GT2 (using the settings I previously suggested on my earlier post). A digital or analogue delay doesn't really matter, any one of them will give him the effect he needs to complete the rockabilly slap back echo sound he is going for...

:chug:

God you're an idiot.

Xomblies
10-10-2010, 07:25 PM
he's not even a little bit right

I_am_the_one
10-10-2010, 07:43 PM
http://www.the-jime.dk/Rockabilly_Guitar.htm

Xomblies
10-10-2010, 07:47 PM
http://www.the-best-and-most-objective-opinion-guitar-tone-site-ever.com/rockabilly

I_am_the_one
10-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Nick - I have limited experience with analogue delay pedals, but I have tried the MXR Carbon Copy, which is pretty cool. I hear good things about the Earthquaker Disaster Transport as well, could be worth checking out.

"There are - like with most things - different ways of achieving the same goals."

Unfortunately, the choice of delay - analogue or digital - will not help the TS sound "old school" with his present rig.

:p

Nick89
10-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Well, I guess i gotta get a analogue one then.

My sound is pretty sweet atm. ibanez hollowbody ---> fender hot rod.

thanks for the suggestions guys, so. the delay.

what one would you buy?

jaklyons
10-11-2010, 10:12 AM
jaklyons, what the fuck is wrong with you today?

:confused:

Sad But True
10-11-2010, 10:54 AM
"There are - like with most things - different ways of achieving the same goals."

Unfortunately, the choice of delay - analogue or digital - will not help the TS sound "old school" with his present rig.

:p

Of course it will. A nice analogue delay will sound more 'old school' because they were what was actually used to get the sound what we now call 'old school'. Besides which, Nick came in asking about a delay and you told him to change his tone. How the fuck is that going to help? You should have just posted the delay setting for the DD-6 and had done, because not only would it have been relevant/helpful, you wouldn't come off as such a tool.

lol vanwarp.

I_am_the_one
10-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Well then Nick, good luck with that new analogue delay pedal, whichever one you decide to get. Hope everything works out for you...if not, you'll know who to blame!

Xomblies
10-11-2010, 11:47 AM
:confused:

you're better now, don't worry about it

lol vanwarp

The Transporter
10-11-2010, 01:32 PM
i know you guys like to hate on vanwarp and stuff, but i think we're missing the point

what is the point you ask?

well,

Kuffuffled
10-11-2010, 01:41 PM
i know you guys like to hate on vanwarp and stuff, but i think we're missing the point

what is the point you ask?

well,

lol vanwarp

Maybe some spring / plate reverb would help?

jaklyons
10-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Well then Nick, good luck with that new analogue delay pedal, whichever one you decide to get. Hope everything works out for you...if not, you'll know who to blame!

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/4867/lolvanwarp.png

I_am_the_one
10-11-2010, 05:11 PM
You guys are such a tight knit bunch...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/Vanwarp/conspiracyimage1832.jpg

jaklyons
10-11-2010, 05:24 PM
wat

Sad But True
10-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Dislike

Kuffuffled
10-12-2010, 12:05 AM
baah

superjoe
10-12-2010, 08:42 PM
http://www.the-best-and-most-objective-opinion-guitar-tone-site-ever.com/rockabilly

i clicked. :rolleyes:

Nick89
10-13-2010, 10:16 AM

what would you do then? I don't really like the idea of the sansamp... got any other suggestions?

damn, let's get back on topic :chug:

The Transporter
10-13-2010, 10:48 AM
look not trying to be a doucher, but i'm fairly certain that no one listens to rockabilly. you'd prbably have better luck inventing a time machine and going back to when people actually listneed to this

I_am_the_one
10-13-2010, 11:34 AM
If you absolutely want to change your delay pedal, choose one that you can easily set between 125 and 200 ms, as this is the sweet spot that will produce the rockabilly "slapback" effect you're looking for. If you could go into a music store and test a few delay pedals out, with a little hands on you'll be able to select one that you prefer and that meets your needs better than the DD6 you already own. Any delay pedal you choose will not get you the “old school” sound that I thought you were looking for. Traditionally, most of the greats used a Fender Bassman along with an Echoplex or a “tape echo” of some sort...

Today, any delay pedal you can set between 125 and 200ms will get you a sweet "slapback" effect.

jaklyons
10-14-2010, 06:26 AM
look not trying to be a doucher, but i'm fairly certain that no one listens to rockabilly. you'd prbably have better luck inventing a time machine and going back to when people actually listneed to this

You'd be surprised man, it seems it's still got a fairly decent following. One of my managers at work is well into old-school rock 'n' roll/rockabilly. He's in a rockabilly band, and just looking at him you can tell he belongs in the 50s.

superjoe
10-14-2010, 08:41 PM
You'd be surprised man, it seems it's still got a fairly decent following. One of my managers at work is well into old-school rock 'n' roll/rockabilly. He's in a rockabilly band, and just looking at him you can tell he belongs in the 50s.

i dig the shit out of rockabilly, good for dancing. especially when it moves into cramps style punk music.

AndrewHimmler
10-25-2010, 11:38 PM
I love dry/rock and roll sounding tone out of a fender bassman.

The perfect tone for rockabilly/rock and roll to me is as follows:

Through a bassman or most fender like amps: Bass 2 Mid 12 Treble 0 Presence 6 Reverb 0. Make sure its on the clean channel and driven up to the dirtiness you desire, don't fool around with drive channels.

Even a super cheap pedal can get you great slap back tone. Right now I'm using a really cheapo dan-electro slap pedal i got for 20 bucks. Only has one setting. I used a 40 dollar rocktron "short timer" for years to great success.

My favorite slap back is set to extremely short time, heavily mixed in to the amp, and with no repeats.

The tone I'm describing basically sounds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMXNeobhLWY&feature=related

AndrewHimmler
10-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Oh this is spot on too, and a killer track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZGn4LncY0g