PDA

View Full Version : If You're Viewing and Bored, Join this Thread

Bulldog
01-01-2010, 01:07 AM
Why is hip-hop so neglected on Sputnik relative to other genres?

Apocalyptic Raids
01-01-2010, 05:46 AM
the hip-hop forum hasn't even been here a year, before that the only hip-hop discussion was a thread in other music. also, before the review site existed this was the forum for a guitar tab site, so guitar based music has always been more prominent here.

HolidayKirk
01-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Easy, the "rock superiority" complex is alive and well these days, where "real" rock music is made by aging 70's dinosaurs and modern bands who try their damnedest to sound like them (Avenged Sevenfold, Kings of Leon, The White Stripes). Hip-Hop and Rap in general, even though its been around for a couple decades still cant earn the respect it deserves from the general (white) public.

somberlain
01-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Yeah extremely few hip hop heads on sputnik, just look at the most recent reviews, they're all by the same 3-4 people

Skyler
01-01-2010, 04:05 PM
I haven't really been feeling many new hip-hop releases, so I have nothing to discuss with anybody.

Everything I've been listening to is like 10, 20 years old.

plane
01-01-2010, 04:55 PM
all viable reasons tbh

Tits McGee
01-01-2010, 05:01 PM
it pretty much just isn't idk

Bulldog
01-01-2010, 05:30 PM
the hip-hop forum hasn't even been here a year, before that the only hip-hop discussion was a thread in other music. also, before the review site existed this was the forum for a guitar tab site, so guitar based music has always been more prominent here.

Best explanation.

somberlain
01-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Everything I've been listening to is like 10, 20 years old.

Same here, the thing is if I review one of these older albums not many people care or know the album because it's old!

illmitch
01-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Same here, the thing is if I review one of these older albums not many people care or know the album because it's old!

lol i dunno about that, sputnik tends to gravitate toward old rap and rap that wishes it sounds like old rap

Bulldog
01-01-2010, 06:13 PM
sputnik tends to gravitate toward old rap and rap that wishes it sounds like old rap

Pretty much.

AggravatedYeti
01-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Easy, the "rock superiority" complex is alive and well these days, where "real" rock music is made by aging 70's dinosaurs and modern bands who try their damnedest to sound like them (Avenged Sevenfold, Kings of Leon, The White Stripes). Hip-Hop and Rap in general, even though its been around for a couple decades still cant earn the respect it deserves from the general (white) public.

hahahahahahahahahaha. where the HELL have you been buddy? Please check single charting and sales from the last 10 years -- 4 out of the 10 top selling records of the past decade are hiphop/R&B, and then there's 'Hybrid Theory' where, well, Mike Shinoda raps -- go figure. Or look at Meta Critic's round up of the top reviewed albums of the decade; most of the top 10 are either tried and true artist, or rappers. So, if anything really, Hip-hop is coming into it's own commercially and as a genre now have a very VERY developed Mainstream, Independent and Undie scenes. So, no, rappers are respected, and are making lots of money, and it's us little white boys giving it to them. :thumb:

somberlain
01-01-2010, 06:17 PM
well not too many people checked out my reviews for Ice Cube and Scarface. starting to wonder if I should even bother with my Kool G Rap review

AggravatedYeti
01-01-2010, 06:18 PM
lol i dunno about that, sputnik tends to gravitate toward old rap and rap that wishes it sounds like old rap

If it doesn't sound like Wu-Tang; No sir! I don't like it!

Bulldog
01-01-2010, 06:21 PM
well not too many people checked out my reviews for Ice Cube and Scarface. starting to wonder if I should even bother with my Kool G Rap review

You should, I want to read it.

somberlain
01-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Yeah it'll be up soon, it's gonna be the first of my weekly(hopefully) reviews

Bulldog
01-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Yeah it'll be up soon, it's gonna be the first of my weekly(hopefully) reviews

[Not pedophile]How old are you Somberlain[/Not pedophile]

(*The Noonward Race*)
01-01-2010, 06:43 PM
It's a young forum.

somberlain
01-01-2010, 06:48 PM
well [not pedophile] 25, not as young as most here that's also why I'm more into the old-school stuff

(*The Noonward Race*)
01-01-2010, 06:53 PM
[/not pedophile]

the noonward race,
taking care of loose ends

Bulldog
01-01-2010, 07:20 PM
hmm, you're way older than me. yea that will help your once a week reviewing, that is, if you don't have a take home job.

somberlain
01-01-2010, 07:26 PM
I know most people here are high schoolers or college age kids
What are you Bulldog?[not pedophile] 15? 16?[not pedophile]

Bulldog
01-01-2010, 07:48 PM
i know most people here are high schoolers or college age kids
what are you bulldog?[not pedophile] 15? 16?[not pedophile]

kingsoby1
01-02-2010, 02:37 AM
Okay, so I'm seeing some weird stuff in this thread. This is why hip-hop is overlooked here:

a) The average user doesn't listen to it
b) There aren't enough people that review new releases consistently well
c) The people that do listen to it here are typically those with more eclectic tastes and constantly seeking out new stuff (see b)

The demographic here didn't grow up with the genre and thus goes to the historical roots first... so yes, a lot of people enjoy older things It's nothing about white vs black or whatever that some here are preaching. But gradually/inevitably when you become a true head, you seek out new stuff constantly... and a large percent of our traffic comes from "year list" obsessed visitors that are always looking for newest/best joint. A lot of our traffic comes from metacritic that specializes in "current music trends" via criticism.

As a reviewer, you gain notoriety by consistently writing (good) reviews for these new releases. I'll start a thread for you guys to link to your reviews if you want, just so people that might not check the reviews site regularly will see your writeups. does that sound like a good idea?

kingsoby1
01-02-2010, 04:25 AM
yes. i was only refuting previous posts.

somberlain
01-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Yes kingsoby that does sound like a good idea.
here's an idea I have, YOU should check out some of our reviews being the premier hip hop reviewer here and offer feedback on how to improve.

"b) There aren't enough people that review new releases consistently well"

you're probably the only one! I'm not saying read every new review but just a few by each reviewer so that we can improve.

Kyle
01-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Honestly, I've seen such a huge increase in hip hop on this site in the last year. There's obviously an imbalance, but the site is more diverse than it has ever been. Hip Hop reviewers are slowly starting to emerge, I wish I had the energy to contribute a few reviews.

kingsoby1
01-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Yes kingsoby that does sound like a good idea.
here's an idea I have, YOU should check out some of our reviews being the premier hip hop reviewer here and offer feedback on how to improve.

"b) There aren't enough people that review new releases consistently well"

you're probably the only one! I'm not saying read every new review but just a few by each reviewer so that we can improve.

honestly, i'd love to. but i have so little time having a fiancee/ 4 month old that i typically only read staff and contributor reviews. That's why i suggested a thread for you guys to link your reviews in... i check this forum much more than user-reviews on the review site.

somberlain
01-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Then I guess that thread would be the best way to go about it

kingsoby1
01-02-2010, 12:22 PM
eh, i think i'll just not be a goon and just click on the "hip hop" regularly like i used to. i know how badly i just wanted people to read my reviews when i was starting out.

also, how does a review competition sound? seems like we have enough people now.

somberlain
01-02-2010, 12:26 PM
How about review of the week or month and have it at the top of the hip hop page?
instead of always having 4 of your reviews haha!

Bulldog
01-02-2010, 12:43 PM
eh, i think i'll just not be a goon and just click on the "hip hop" regularly like i used to. i know how badly i just wanted people to read my reviews when i was starting out.

also, how does a review competition sound? seems like we have enough people now.

Could you please tell me how some of my reviews are kingsoby1? I'm getting alot of mixed feedback, but no feedback from staff reviewers.

kingsoby1
01-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Only the Admin and Editors/Mods can modify the website. Unfortunately those spots on the genre page are programmed to only feature staff and contributor reviews, also. Your goals as a user trying to become a contributor should be:

- Cover at least 2 new releases per month (preferably released the day of release or within 2 days after).

- Try to write at least 3 reviews total per month (not really a big deal, sometimes i only got out 1 review per month, but I typically had 2 or 3 the months before and after)

- Constantly increase your quality of reviews

- Maintain a good Approval Rating (this isn't a high priority, we know people troll reviews often... but if you're consistently getting negged by a lot of people, there's probably an issue).

- You can request your review be considered for front page feature on the "For the Meds" thread on the sputnik forum. They won't be considered unless they're new releases like i said above. If you don't get it featured, don't be deterred in writing, it's probably because of one or more of a few reasons:

a) The Mods aren't completely happy with the quality of the review
b) A Staff reviewer has a review for it in progress
c) The Staff queue is very large for that week

We should probably have a hiphop reviewer community thread.

Bulldog
01-02-2010, 12:55 PM
We should probably have a hiphop reviewer community thread.

YES. Because hip-hop = epic. :thumb:

exredhouseresident
01-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Its the same thing with rock on hip hop sites.

kingsoby1
01-02-2010, 03:08 PM
ya but this is an actual publication, not just a genre fan site

Bulldog
01-02-2010, 03:26 PM
ya but this is an actual publication, not just a genre fan site

(*The Noonward Race*)
01-02-2010, 03:36 PM
This is basically the only explanation you need.

There is a total lack of consistently professional rap reviews on the internets (and mainstream media) but that's a completely unrelated matter. This is a rock & metal site that has gradually taken on a broader scope.
A very good thing, hopefully something that continues.

somberlain
01-02-2010, 04:57 PM
so kingsoby what was your review competition idea?

kingsoby1
01-02-2010, 05:16 PM
maybe having pixies and i pick a pool of new releases throughout a month, assign them randomly, then judge. maybe send a prize or get a big avatar or soemthing idk.

Led_Zep_Bonham
01-02-2010, 06:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyZbXuk-vP8

The industry is wack so we Throw Us Back.

hydeyomoney
01-03-2010, 01:40 PM
inkredible