PDA

View Full Version : CotM (10/3/09): Jehst - The Return of the Drifter [2002]

Wish
10-06-2009, 01:29 PM
A UK hip hop classic from 2002.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51OHjGDmrtL._SS500_.jpg
This collection of singles and E.P. tracks is, for me, one of the high water marks of UK hip-hop to date. Largely self produced, with a little help from Braintax and Harry Love, Jehst sidesteps the reggae influences of much of the best UK hip-hop to produce a resolutely true-school, timeless vibe. Vocally and lyrically Jehst soars on this album, making his recent retreat into the role of producer all the more frustrating.

There are only 11 tracks here, including two short instrumentals and one remix (albeit with a typically essential Chester P verse), however this album represents quality over quantity and tracks like High Plains Anthem, Alcoholic Author and City of Industry - all already modern classics - speak for themselves.

Although subsequent releases have been highly acclaimed, Jehst has yet to truly live up to the promise of this collection and it seems that lyrically he has run out of things to say these days. This album however should rightly stand alongside Blak Twang's '19 Long Time', Roots Manuva's 'Brand New Second Hand', Braintax's 'Biro Funk' etc. as an example of what British hip-hop artists can achieve when they aim for the stars rather than aping their American counterparts.
http://www.mediafire.com/?zjznomnmtay

niobium
10-07-2009, 03:44 AM
downloaded

RoshanC
10-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Now this is a quality album. one of the first Uk hip hop records i got and definitely one of the best

gaslight
10-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Love Jehst, have loved this album for ages now.

kingsoby1
10-11-2009, 10:47 AM
good stuff

Wish
10-11-2009, 10:48 AM
At least somebody listened to it!

kingsoby1
10-11-2009, 10:50 AM
yeah, i'm sure there are only like 5 people that regularly DL this stuff ha.

i think it'd be cool to start a hip-hop blog sometime, but it seems cliche to do. maybe someday. i'd rather do a food blog instead.

Jaundice
10-12-2009, 12:00 AM
you cant megaupload food

pixiesfanyo
10-12-2009, 12:25 AM
food blog? like what you're cooking? or where you eat at restaurants?

niobium
10-12-2009, 12:36 AM
yogurt of the minute

pixiesfanyo
10-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Chili of the Month

niobium
10-12-2009, 01:48 AM
this forum definitely doesn't help with my music queue but we'll see where jehst fits in

yogurts is grosss

kingsoby1
10-12-2009, 04:18 AM
yeah, i like to cook and go out to eat, so it'd be something like that probably... reviewing area restaurants and sharing dishes i made w/ recipes.

realistically, i think it'd be cool to get a team of people together and start a site/webzine that has a few sections (each with separate RSS feeds that tie into a main page that combines all of them):

- Music (reviews, history, interviews, show reviews w/ photos)
- Cinema (reviews and maybe a little history)
- Television (ditto, with more discussion)
- Food (restaurant reviews, cooking discussion/ recipe sharing)
- Maybe videogames but that would probably attract the wrong demographic

I've actually been thinking of writing a book based loosely around my upbringing but focused on the food I ate growing up; this would be a good precursor to something of that ridiculous magnitude.