PDA

View Full Version : CotM (9/27/09): Z-Ro - Let the Truth Be Told [2005]

illmitch
09-29-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm a huge Z-Ro fan and like almost everything I've heard by him, but this album has always stood out to me. The production is spectacular and his rapping is wonderful.

True thug Z-Ro has an incredibly stuffed discography but his profile is surprisingly low. His style is hard -- think Nate Dogg with a Southern flavor -- but not underground or cerebral enough to keep him from blowing up big time, so what's the problem? If there's any justice, the solid Let the Truth Be Told will put the man over the top. Guest spots from Ashanti, Paul Wall, and Juvenile should help too, but if this all seems like a forced play for the mainstream, it's not. Seventeen songs and the album never sounds anything less than inspired, necessary even. Z-Ro's verbal sparring with Devin the Dude makes "The Mule" a standout, "Platinum" and "Everyday, Samethang" are sure to figure into your next mixtape, but the highlights keep coming and filler isn't even an issue. Producers Mike Dean and Mr. Lee offer bass-heavy, infectious grooves and the lack of throwaway skits and segues seals the deal. Bringing the G-funk to the South with a driven attitude and vivid lyrics, Z-Ro makes his mark with Let the Truth Be Told.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6X5TU5N8

iarescientists
09-29-2009, 08:10 PM
gonna download this cause of your incessant repping of z-ro and cause the south rules

Jaundice
09-29-2009, 08:10 PM
downloading now, never given z-ro a serious listen

Tits McGee
09-29-2009, 08:57 PM
I checked this out when you recommended it to me a while back. I only gave it 1 listen, but I think this is going to prompt me to listen to it more.

Plus the fact that this guy grew up like 30 minutes away from me makes it more awesome

kingsoby1
09-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Does the cartel really leave human heads on the border?

ATM
09-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Best song is Mo City Don.

illmitch
09-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Mo City Don is ridiculous. I love how he uses the Paid in Full beat.

Respect My Mind is another one of my favorite Z-Ro songs.

iarescientists
09-30-2009, 06:00 PM
4 songs in and this is really ****ing good

Txus
09-30-2009, 06:30 PM
this album rules

ATM
09-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Mo City Don is ridiculous. I love how he uses the Paid in Full beat.

Respect My Mind is another one of my favorite Z-Ro songs.

Definitely. I haven't been able to get into any other Z-Ro albums other then this, though. His release with Trae as Assholes By Nature is pretty solid, though.

niobium
09-30-2009, 06:55 PM
first time i've seen pall wall mentioned in this forum

illmitch
09-30-2009, 07:10 PM
i'm actually a fan of paul wall. he's nothing spectacular, but his flow is pretty good, and he has the best horrible similes ("my mouth is similar to a disco ball", anyone?).

Definitely. I haven't been able to get into any other Z-Ro albums other then this, though. His release with Trae as spatulas By Nature is pretty solid, though.

what other Ro have you heard? i'd recommend The Life and Times of Joseph W. McVey after this album

Jaundice
09-30-2009, 07:23 PM
i can never remember the difference between paul wall and mike jones.

illmitch
09-30-2009, 07:25 PM
lol, theyre definitely from the same scene, i dunno if they really sound alike to me though

ATM
09-30-2009, 07:28 PM
i'm actually a fan of paul wall. he's nothing spectacular, but his flow is pretty good, and he has the best horrible similes ("my mouth is similar to a disco ball", anyone?).

what other Ro have you heard? i'd recommend The Life and Times of Joseph W. McVey after this album

The only other album I have is Look What You Did to Me. I'll check the others out.

Jaundice
09-30-2009, 07:29 PM
i just remember them both as those two fat guys that had one really successful song in 2005 and then didn't go any where

mike jones just put out a new record tho , i dont know what ever happened to the other one

illmitch
09-30-2009, 07:31 PM
The only other album I have is Look What You Did to Me. I'll check the others out.

yeah, Look What You Did to Me is good, but Z-Ro hasn't found his signature style at all on that album - he's just kinda rapping like Pac but really quickly. it's good, but not spectacular like his later albums are. the production also isn't on the same level.