PDA

View Full Version : jay-z

Jaded
09-25-2009, 08:38 PM
basically, i've slept on jigga for as long as i can remember. i used to be on an anti-mainstream rap trip, but i've been over that for awhile, and i can't stop listening to the black album. is all of his sh*t that classic? what other must have albums besides the blueprint has he made?

also, Just Blaze. f*ck.

Rams
09-26-2009, 01:18 AM
You sound drunk.

Reasonable Doubt > Black Album > Blueprint > In My Lifetime Vol. 2 ... Hard Knock Life > In My Lifetime Vol. 1.

Most of his albums are good. I'd say the ones above are great.

Also Pete Rock's, Kev Brown's, and Kno's remixes of the Black Album are superb.

Iai
09-26-2009, 06:28 AM
Blueprint > Black Album > Reasonable Doubt > Blueprint 3

Don't really care enough to hear the rest. Reasonable Doubt is just about the over-rated rap album ever tbh.

kingsoby1
09-26-2009, 09:49 AM
black album is my favorite, followed closely by reasonable doubt. then blueprint 1.

Apocalyptic Raids
09-26-2009, 10:10 AM
blueprint 1 is my favourite jay album by far.

kind of agree with iai about reasonable doubt too.

DhA
09-26-2009, 12:53 PM
reasonable doubt is sick, can't knock the hustle is so good.

griftadan
09-27-2009, 11:49 PM
i used to think he was the best then i realized that all of his albums beyond the black album are terribly average

Jaded
10-08-2009, 09:54 PM
You sound drunk.
yeah i think i was haha

JonG
10-09-2009, 10:16 PM
reasonable doubt > blueprint > black album

only get those, if you download any others you will only be disappointed.

cirq
10-10-2009, 01:34 AM
what jon said

Glitterati
10-10-2009, 10:15 AM
I think Black Album and Blueprint are his best/my favorite.

I've heard his most recent album is really disappointing which is sad, I'll probably still check it out anyway.

robertsona
10-10-2009, 11:01 AM
reasonable doubt owns

Jaded
10-23-2009, 01:42 PM
i've been listening to his new one, and i like most of it, there's def some trash on it though, like forever young or whatever it's called.

Led_Zep_Bonham
10-23-2009, 07:49 PM
I can only listen to JayZiz when I'm blowing half-ounce blunts in my Hummer Limo.

Ando!
11-09-2009, 03:57 PM
every one of his albums minus kingdom come is awesome

also never actually listened to roc la familia, so can't speak to that

Jawaharal
11-09-2009, 04:52 PM
debating whether i should pony up and pay $55 to see him this friday

Bulldog
11-09-2009, 09:19 PM
every one of his albums minus kingdom come is awesome

I have a friend who got into hip hop because of the album. He's since moved on to better stuff (I assume) but that's not why I've entered this discussion.

I believe there is a Gucci Mane vs. Jay-Z beef brewing. I believe this as a fan of Gucci Mane who extensively listens to his discography. He made a stab at Jay-Z on the Burrprint! 3 (with the title and in one of the skits) and he's insulted him in some other songs. To be honest, the Gucci Mane vs. Young Jeezy beef was one of the best beefs of all time. But, it's somewhat died down. I believe a Jay-Z/Gucci Mane beef would be great. What do you think on the possibility of is and what it's impact would be on the rap game?

Ando!
11-09-2009, 09:44 PM
i kinda doubt jay has to respond, i mean gucci mane aint exactly nas

illmitch
11-09-2009, 09:46 PM
yeah, gucci mane has released more than one quality album since the year 1994

Bulldog
11-09-2009, 10:02 PM
He doesn't have to. But it's falling icon (Jay Z) vs. rising star (Gucci Mane) and if Jay Z wants to keep his place as the "Greatest rapper alive" (MTV) then he has to respond. Jay-Z has been falling off for a while now and Gucci is hungry for power. If Hova doesn't respond, he's screwed.

illmitch
11-09-2009, 10:08 PM
^exactly. i was being facetious, but bulldog is exactly right. gucci mane's street buzz is ridiculous, and hov has to do SOMETHING - and i think the ensuing exchange will be very interesting indeed. i'm just picturing Hov doing a standard New York ether-style diss track and gucci mane coming out with something ridiculously simple and yet amazing.

Bulldog
11-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Gucci Mane's street buzz is indeed ridiculous, but he has the best street cred as well. Nobody respects anybody as they respect Gucci. Here's why. Gucci murdered one of those dudes that ran up on him and tried to steal his chain, and hid his body. He went to jail for a year. Now he's out, and after Gangsta Grillz: The Movie generated buzz, he stepped his game up (particularly his flow) and starting putting music out as if he were a factory. On the other side of the tracks....

At this juncture, Jay-Z is at a career fork in the road. What he does here could very well determine which road he takes. Now, needless to say, there will be roads after this depending on what he does. But it is imperitive for Jay-Z to respond for him to retain his reputation.

Rams
11-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Jay-Z - Former CEO of Def Jam, owner of NJ Nets, married to Beyonce, more Billboard 200 singles than any other artist, 11 number one selling albums
Gucci Mane - kind of humorous?

Gucci is the jester compared to Jay-Z.

illmitch
11-10-2009, 12:05 AM
we all know that jay-z is rich

doesn't mean he's produced meaningful output lately.

and i'd still rather listen to the burrprint than the vast majority of jay-z's post-2000 material

Rams
11-10-2009, 12:16 AM
And I can't really say I've enjoyed anything by Gucci. Doesn't matter what you or I think. Jay-Z has sold so many albums, probably has more singles than Gucci has songs, and is known by everyone. His street cred is he's the American dream, from the hood to the hills.

kingsoby1
11-10-2009, 03:43 AM
yep. gucci mane is pretty irrelevant comparatively...

bp3 is probably on the same level as any of GC's output tbh. i *like* plenty of GC joints, but he's just not beyond being a novelty.

ATM
11-10-2009, 06:59 AM
I could see Jay-Z dissing Gucci if he plans on releasing another album. Maybe not a full track but a line or two.

Jaundice
11-10-2009, 10:21 AM
would rather listen to any Gucci than any Hova tbh

Led_Zep_Bonham
11-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Yeah. At least Gucci Mane isn't a quitter when it comes to the drug life.

Bulldog
11-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Jay-Z - Former CEO of Def Jam, owner of NJ Nets, married to Beyonce, more Billboard 200 singles than any other artist, 11 number one selling albums
Gucci Mane - kind of humorous?

Gucci is the jester compared to Jay-Z.

This is irrelevant. When I listen to Jay-Z, I don't think "Wow, this guy is a musical talent because he owns the Nets and is married to Beyonce." I think "this guy used to be good, but now he's a joke." Gucci has talent, Gucci has street cred, Gucci has the best production out of all the rappers in the game right now.

Also, Jay-Z has been around longer than Gucci Mane, so of course his statistics are going to be better.

One more thing, to whoever said Jay-Z has more singles than Gucci Mane has songs. You are WRONG. Gucci Mane is SOOOO active in the mixtape game, he has WAAAAAY more songs than Jay-Z. He has more albums (if you count official mixtapes) than Jay-Z. Gucci Mane works hard and is talented, Hova's getting old and boring.

Bulldog
11-10-2009, 12:00 PM
And by street cred, I mean he MURDERED someone and hid the body. I don't think Jay-Z has ever done that...nope he hasn't

Pretty sure he was living in a mansion, driving a fancy car, smoking foreign cigars, sipping exotic alcoholic beverages, having sexual intercourse with Beyonce, and making awful music. At the same time, Gucci Mane was writing on the walls in Fulton County Jail, living a terrible existence for six months. Jay-Z doesn't have S*** on Gucci Mane.

Rams
11-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Jay-Z doesn't have S*** on Gucci Mane.

You mean besides:
living in a mansion, driving a fancy car, smoking foreign cigars, sipping exotic alcoholic beverages, having sexual intercourse with Beyonce, and making awful music. At the same time, Gucci Mane was writing on the walls in Fulton County Jail, living a terrible existence for six months.

Jay-z sounds like he has it awful compared to Gucci.

Kyle
11-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Why even debate this?

Give it 10 years we'll see where Gucci Mane is, for now there are few who have contributed more to hip hop than Jay Z. Even if his new material isn't so good, there are very few artists who get progressively better as they get older, in any genre of music. The guy is nearly 40 and still making tracks like D.O.A, give him a break.

Bulldog
11-10-2009, 01:02 PM
This is gangsta rap we're talking about. Sure, I'd love to have a life similar to Jay-Z's (even though I don't want to BE him) but in a musical genre in which artists frequently claim themselves to be involved in criminal activities, Jay-Z is a hypocrite and Gucci Mane is the truth.

Kyle
11-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Why does that make him any good?

Bulldog
11-10-2009, 03:18 PM
I never said that it [having street cred] made him [Gucci Mane] any good, I just said that it added to his appeal. What makes Gucci good...

1. He has the best production in the game right now.
2. He has very clever rhymes
3. He's improved his flow drastically and it's now very good.

Wish
11-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Wait, you guys think Gucci Mane is good?

JonG
11-10-2009, 05:19 PM

bulldog, go jump in a fire

gucci mane is horrible, his production is awful, and his street cred means nothing when it comes to making quality music.

Ando!
11-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Yeah. At least Gucci Mane isn't a quitter when it comes to the drug life.

thats another difference thats between me and them
i smarten up, open the market up

sgrevs
11-10-2009, 05:43 PM
That's very untrue.

Jaundice
11-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Gucci isn't a great lyricist but he's more than adequate.

Glitterati
11-10-2009, 05:57 PM
I've never listened to Gucci but I don't think I'm missing much.

Jaundice
11-10-2009, 06:08 PM
it's regular street-oriented mix tape stuff, not something i'd really sit down and listen to with headphones but it's perfect for when you're on the grind with your goons

ATM
11-10-2009, 06:08 PM
http://www.southernhospitality.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/gucci-mane-our-kitchen-sink2.jpg

Glitterati
11-10-2009, 06:09 PM
bahahahah

that's pretty street

Jaundice
11-10-2009, 06:12 PM
i got a iced out bart where my heart used to be

Bulldog
11-10-2009, 06:16 PM
We are under a Jay-Z related thread, and we're branching off into Gucci Mane. Let's get back to the Jay-Z vs. Gucci Mane beef. Is it going to happen? If so, who's side are you on? And who do you think will win?

Jaundice
11-10-2009, 06:19 PM
I'll take Gucci's side. I mean, in all fairness I've never given Jay-Z a really legit listen, but I've never liked anything I've heard from him throughout my life.

Led_Zep_Bonham
11-10-2009, 06:35 PM
The only real way to settle any Jay-Z v. Gucci beeff would be a best out of three checkers match during an afternoon of their regularly scheduled manicure appointments.

illmitch
11-10-2009, 07:54 PM
like i said, this is how i think it will pan out:

jay-z will record an unoriginal NY-styled diss track in the vein of Ether, Paper Plates, etc. and NY hip hop heads and people who listen to NY-style hip hop (i.e. a lot of the people on this site) will say "jay-z wins, gucci mane can't rap."

gucci mane will record a wacko, drugged-out diss track that completely clowns on jay-z and says ridiculous stuff that won't be NY-style whatsoever and so most traditional heads will hate it, but will probably be more interesting and groundbreaking than jay-z and probably say funnier stuff.

so i think gucci mane will win, but most people will say that he won't win because they refuse to move past the style created by albums made in the early 90's.

ATM
11-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Like OJ Da Juiceman getting booed off the stage in NY opening for Ghostface.

Glitterati
11-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Or like people automatically comparing everything Nas has done since '94 to Illmatic.

Ando!
11-10-2009, 08:40 PM
i think the half bar at the end of the takeover is all jay really needs for a situation like this

Bulldog
11-10-2009, 08:44 PM

Jay-z will record an unoriginal ny-styled diss track in the vein of ether, paper plates, etc. And ny hip hop heads and people who listen to ny-style hip hop (i.e. A lot of the people on this site) will say "jay-z wins, gucci mane can't rap."

gucci mane will record a wacko, drugged-out diss track that completely clowns on jay-z and says ridiculous stuff that won't be ny-style whatsoever and so most traditional heads will hate it, but will probably be more interesting and groundbreaking than jay-z and probably say funnier stuff.

So i think gucci mane will win, but most people will say that he won't win because they refuse to move past the style created by albums made in the early 90's. a....men.

illmitch
11-10-2009, 08:44 PM
all gucci needs is the first bar of "dope boyz" and apply it to jay-z

Ando!
11-10-2009, 09:02 PM
illmitch jay-z wasn't even making albums in the early 90's what are you on about

i mean i'm all for raging against "36 chambers is the best hip hop ever and nothing else is good" but i mean, the blueprint/black album IS modern hiphop

Ando!
11-10-2009, 09:04 PM
and i mean stillmatic was 2001, right?

its dumb to think nas hadnt evolved since 1994

Ragez
11-10-2009, 10:26 PM

jay-z will record an unoriginal NY-styled diss track in the vein of Ether, Paper Plates, etc. and NY hip hop heads and people who listen to NY-style hip hop (i.e. a lot of the people on this site) will say "jay-z wins, gucci mane can't rap."

gucci mane will record a wacko, drugged-out diss track that completely clowns on jay-z and says ridiculous stuff that won't be NY-style whatsoever and so most traditional heads will hate it, but will probably be more interesting and groundbreaking than jay-z and probably say funnier stuff.

so i think gucci mane will win, but most people will say that he won't win because they refuse to move past the style created by albums made in the early 90's.
this man knows the deal.

illmitch
11-10-2009, 10:31 PM
illmitch jay-z wasn't even making albums in the early 90's what are you on about

i mean i'm all for raging against "36 chambers is the best hip hop ever and nothing else is good" but i mean, the blueprint/black album IS modern hiphop

well, he's appeared on early-90's material, and i'd say his style emulates the early 90's model.

i love the blueprint, but i dont think its modern hip hop - theres nothing that even approximates the electronic style thats prevalent, even on new jay-z

Bulldog
11-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Have any of you ever heard Young Money? Gucci Mane was high as a kit when he freestyled that live on a radio station. What about Murder For Fun (another Jeezy diss) which had a reggae twist thrown in there. Gucci is extremely creative, don't underestimate him.

illmitch
11-10-2009, 11:14 PM
gonna youtube both of those songs now

Rams
11-11-2009, 01:03 AM
well, he's appeared on early-90's material, and i'd say his style emulates the early 90's model.

i love the blueprint, but i dont think its modern hip hop - theres nothing that even approximates the electronic style thats prevalent, even on new jay-z

What makes the beat from "Wasted" any different from "U Dont Know"? Oh it's a faster boom bap beat instead of slower boom bap beat.

With this said, Jay-Z's new song is absolutely horrendous. Can't believe he signed his name to that garbage.

Apocalyptic Raids
11-11-2009, 04:34 AM
Have any of you ever heard Young Money? Gucci Mane was high as a kit when he freestyled that live on a radio station. What about Murder For Fun (another Jeezy diss) which had a reggae twist thrown in there. Gucci is extremely creative, don't underestimate him.
looked both of those up... you can tell he was high as a kite when he did Young Money because it is absolutely terrible and Murder For Fun wasn't much better either. He has so many mixtapes etc that I'm never sure if what I'm hearing is his a-grade stuff, but from the bunch of songs I've heard it's all had basic rhymes, basic beats, basic everything. Completely and utterly average. Give me Three 6 Mafia or Clipse any day.

As for this silly beef stuff
i think the half bar at the end of the takeover is all jay really needs for a situation like this
this basically sums it up.

Bulldog
11-11-2009, 09:44 AM
...Give me Three 6 Mafia...any day.

I agree, I'm very much looking forward to Laws of Power. Hopefully it will be a return to the 90's Triple Six and a signifcant rebound from Last 2 Walk. You might find it interesting to know Hypnotize Minds collaborates with Gucci on several occasions. Gucci has amazing beats, check out "My Shadow" and "Dope Boys" off of Burrprint! 3 they're great. Two perfect examples of great Gucci beats.

illmitch
11-11-2009, 10:26 AM
looked both of those up... you can tell he was high as a kite when he did Young Money because it is absolutely terrible and Murder For Fun wasn't much better either. He has so many mixtapes etc that I'm never sure if what I'm hearing is his a-grade stuff, but from the bunch of songs I've heard it's all had basic rhymes, basic beats, basic everything. Completely and utterly average. Give me Three 6 Mafia or Clipse any day.

well, i suggest giving a thorough listen to his mixtape The Burrprint - i think it's pretty indicative of his improved flow and the quality of his beats.

and i definitely agree with you about Three 6 and Clipse - can't wait for their respective new albums.

Glitterati
11-11-2009, 02:07 PM
3 6 Mafia are good times.

Bulldog
11-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Well, now Gucci Mane is locked up in jail (FREE GUCCI!) so there will be no beef.

Glitterati
11-14-2009, 10:52 PM
illmitch are you gonna organize a jailbreak

Bulldog
11-15-2009, 01:32 PM
He should. FREE GUCCI!

jackfrost
11-24-2009, 12:38 PM
I have always loved Jay-Z and will continue to because he's more then a rapper, he is the HOVA and that means Respect!!!
hahahahah

http://www.yeahoyeah.com/video.aspx?id=2229

D.O.A