PDA

View Full Version : What first got you into hip-hop?

kingsoby1
05-02-2009, 04:54 PM
First off, don't ask for recommendations here. There's a community thread and a hip-hop essentials sticky for those purposes (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570776).

Branching from another thread, I'm curious to see what got people into the genre. For me, it happened in a few different phases:

- Fort Minor, The Roots, NERD
- Talib Kweli, Immortal Technique, Clipse, Dilla (The Shining specifically), Madlib
- Deltron, Dr Octagon, El-P, Company Flow, Cannibal Ox, Aesop Rock
- Detroit sh*t... really overtaken by it
- Detroit stuff made me more receptive to mainstream sounds

Of these stages, I don't listen to Fort Minor, NERD, Kweli, Technique, or Aesop anymore.

niobium
05-02-2009, 05:08 PM
probably it just comes down to the sound of fat rhythms i wasn't hearing in rock growing up. i value bass. i thought these guys were poets and i respected the inherent craftsmanship it takes to flow and have presence of words and not an instrument

having said that, possibly eminem. octagonecologyst broke it open a while ago. guru showed me the way of the early 90s. i looked up to the hip hop artists on many tony hawk games for instance even if i now find many lacking (cept quasimoto on thug). regretably thought sage francis was cool.

Gattsu347
05-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Busta Rhymes and Eminem

Jaundice
05-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Ready to Die, marijuana.

(*The Noonward Race*)
05-02-2009, 05:53 PM
i had been listening to illmatic and wu tang for years and years

then from another angle a year or two later i started getting into music like tabla beat science and bombay dub orchestra and nitihn sawhney and they had beats, my friends were into dnb and these all had beats

then a year later i found dabrye flylo and a whole lot of electronic artists that congrued with my much earlier interests in classical avant garde and minimalism then early computer music

last year i heard jdilla in the car the track fantastic 4 from fantastic 2 and the vocal syncopations and swing finally showed me what i had been looking for, the meshing between my interest in beats and funk in the sense of what hiphop can ultimately be

then i spent most of time learning how to make beats for a year i made like 200 tracks so far and that further got me into the feel of hiphop which became my dominant musical taste, dilla and flylo have both surpassed john mclaughlin in plays on my lastfm whom i've been listening to obsessively for years before

the end

Apocalyptic Raids
05-03-2009, 06:57 AM
when i was like 13 or so i got heavily into rage against the machine, and they were like my first real favourite band or whatever. at first i went heavily in the rock direction from there, but then a few years ago got into public enemy who kind of opened my eyes to the other heavy influence on rage, which is of course hip-hop. from there i just got into all the early '90s stuff like nas, tribe, wu etc etc.

Wish
05-03-2009, 07:08 AM
Eminem when I was in high school. A friend would blast The Low End Theory and Shadows on the Sun amongst others when skateboarding so I guess that exposed me to more. A friend listens to hop hop the most out of any other genre, so it's more often than not in his car which has also got me into more groups/artists.

kingsoby1
05-03-2009, 10:43 AM
having a hip-hop head friend convert you is always the best.

ATM
05-03-2009, 10:51 AM
I liked Puff Daddy and my first girlfriend gave me No Way Out[/i[ in 6th grade. I listened to the **** out of that album. I can still rap almost 95% of it. From there, I got into Ma$e and some other Bad Boy rappers. I started making mixtapes with some of my friends, and we listened to stuff like Ja Rule, DMX, Juvenile, Big Pun, etc.

When I moved to Norway I really missed hip hop so I started looking around online for more stuff. That was in the Napster days so I used to get recommendations in the hip hop chat room. I remember getting suggest Peanut Butter Wolf, Deltron 3030, Sage Francis, etc.

I also got heavily into Tupac at the time, because of a friend of mine. It's funny how West Coast gangsta **** is so popular in Europe. It was all about Tupac, Snoop, Dr. Dre, Warren G, etc.

edit: actually, you guys will lol at this but I wrote this for a local hip hop site

[i]My name is Christian Baer. I’m a student at the University of Maryland and an Anthropology major. I spent half of my life living in Germany and Norway. This experience really gave me a love of culture and people. Music is what keeps me moving. I started listening to hip-hop in middle school. My friends and I would make mixtapes for each other. We were all listening to artists like DMX, Jay-Z, and Ja Rule. I went to a strict Catholic school. My principal found my copy of a Juvenile CD and stormed into my classroom. She yells out, “This is what we do to trash” and cut the CD with a pair of scissors. I used to write raps and post them online. Living in suburban Maryland, there weren’t many other places I could share them. I moved to Norway at the beginning of high school. My friends were from all over the world, and they exposed me to the music that they loved. I began using Napster to seek out new artists, and I dove headfirst into the underground. I discovered Deltron 3030, Mr. Lif, and Sage Francis which inspired me to find more. I began taking break dancing lessons, which gave me a huge appreciation for B-boys and B-girls. I lost touch with hip-hop when I started playing guitar. At that point, I was all about classic rock. However, once I started college I came back around. I began going to so many shows that I practically went into debt. Live music was the ultimate enjoyment for me. I applied to work at two different radio stations, and used my show to spread the kind of hip-hop that I like. I’ve booked hip-hop shows at the station when nobody else would. I rap in a group with some of my best friends and we are getting ready to release an album. I’m now also spending my time exploring the DC artists that were right under my nose that I never knew were there. I am getting ready to graduate and am excited about the possibilities the future holds.

RoshanC
05-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Got into Beastie Boys, Run-DMC and Public Enemy Early on, then went through a barren period for a year or so when i listened to none.

Native Tongues brought me back and opened me up to more alternative stuff

SgtPrimus
05-03-2009, 11:19 AM
I used to hate hip hop because I was ignorant to it and didn't consider it music because I was dumb. Last year this kid played me some of 36 Chambers and I liked it, so I got that album and then got some De La and Tribe and went from there.

easylee
05-03-2009, 11:49 AM
brother listened to beastie boys, atcq, nwa, dj shadow etc other siblings litsened to hip hop grew up with it kind of have always liked it i think

kingsoby1
05-03-2009, 12:09 PM
i used to troll audiogalaxy hip-hop threads with "arguments on why rap is not music". i was so convinced lol... i think i was 14 at the time, like 98 or 99.

Led_Zep_Bonham
05-03-2009, 12:19 PM
MTV in the early 90's, second and third grade.

Correction
05-03-2009, 12:26 PM
older brother got me into hip-hop at age ten or so, listening to 90s nas jay-z and dmx albums with him when we drove around

Already_Taken
05-03-2009, 12:34 PM
when i lived in atlanta it's all anyone knew existed. that or me first and the gimme gimmes. mainly lil' wyte, pitbull and other similar shitty artists

kingsoby1
05-03-2009, 01:08 PM
older brother got me into hip-hop at age ten or so, listening to 90s nas jay-z and dmx albums with him when we drove around

this is how i got my youngest brother into it... started when he was 13. he's 16 now, and digs on black milk, my mission is complete.

Rams
05-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Thrasher Skate & Destroy.

kingsoby1
05-03-2009, 01:20 PM
i rented that once... didn't realize how sick the soundtrack was until just looking it up now.

Rams
05-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Trasher and Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX had the best sound tracks ever.

One of those games had a soundtrack with Buggin' Out on it too, I remember it being awesome.

niobium
05-03-2009, 02:07 PM
dave mirra bmx 2. also had some gang starr on it. only 10 songs.

iarescientists
05-03-2009, 03:23 PM
my friend was really into mainstream stuff, and i was really feeling it that much, but i wanted to like hip-hop so i got into some alt/backpacker **** and then i was liking that but he didn't like it that much and then we found wu-tang and we both really liked it so now we just go back and forth trying to one up each other with new recs

honourosis
05-03-2009, 03:48 PM
I liked Puff Daddy and my first girlfriend gave me No Way Out[/i[ in 6th grade. I listened to the **** out of that album. I can still rap almost 95% of it. From there, I got into Ma$e and some other Bad Boy rappers. I started making mixtapes with some of my friends, and we listened to stuff like Ja Rule, DMX, Juvenile, Big Pun, etc.

same for me basically except my first album i bought was jay-z hard knock life and a lot of other 90's hip hop thanks to my brother i just went from there.

kitsch
05-03-2009, 03:50 PM
marshall mathers lp when i was 11

Buckey1983
05-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Everything by A Tribe Called Quest

We_Love_Lime
05-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Lol
Eminem, Scarface, and Tupac.
I went to private school for the first 9 years of my life, and once I hit like 5th grade at a public school, I could recite the lyrics to "On my block", "California Love", and "Big Poppa" anywhere.

pixiesfanyo
05-03-2009, 05:26 PM
tribe was probably my first group as well.

back in the days when i was teenager
before i had status and before i had a pager
you could find an abstract, listenin' to hip-hop
my pops used to say it reminded him of bebop.

Jawaharal
05-03-2009, 06:10 PM
slim shady lp

niobium
05-03-2009, 06:16 PM
certain songs on radio

groove is in the heart
gangstas paradise

cannot forget about those

illmitch
05-03-2009, 06:19 PM
my first was NWA, i liked them to be ironic cuz i was a metal kid. then i gradually got into more stuff, but i still didn't really appreciate it for the music - i would listen to something or praise a rapper for his themes, not for his actual content.

i think wu-tang clan was the first real group that i got into, and i progressed from there. i didn't get into southern hip hop till i got UGK - Underground Kingz, which totally changed my tastes, and since then i've been going my unique way

CoOpCity
05-03-2009, 06:58 PM
My sister gave me her Wu Tang Clan 36 Chambers CD, and then she gave me Ready to Die.

Apocalyptic Raids
05-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Thrasher Skate & Destroy.
I used to love it when White Lines came on.

StreetlightRock
05-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Pharoahe Monch - Desire.

Im a recent convert I guess. The only thing is I still like newer more complicated rap heaps better than stuff like Illmatic or Paid In Full, I just find that stuff too... easy. I dunno. Eminem probably set my rap listening back by years.

DannyBrighteyes
05-04-2009, 01:22 AM
heard a Blackstarr song randomly on a tupac fan site I randomly went to, I used to be into that ****, I can't stand it now, but that basically brought me into more complex and intelligent hip hop.

Mute Print
05-04-2009, 10:10 AM
One of my cousins got me into Eminem when I was around 11, but that was really the only hip-hop I bothered to check out at that point.

When I was 16, I saw Del for free and loved it. Then I got into Nas, Clipse, Wu, Tupac, etc. and went from there.