PDA

View Full Version : Classic of the Minute (4/22): Dizzee Rascal - Boy in da Corner [2003]

kingsoby1
04-21-2009, 03:52 PM
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00009WVWU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Let's be real here, like 3 people in this forum (maybe) listen to grime or any UK Rap at all. The point of these is to expand our knowledge of critically acclaimed (or peer-vaunted) releases, and this looks like a good place to go.

After winning a Sidewinder award for 'best newcomer MC' in 2002, his album Boy in da Corner was released to universal critical acclaim in August 2003, entering the UK top 40 at #40. The album later reached #23. The album was preceded in June 2003 by the top 30 hit single I Luv U, a tale of accidental teenage pregnancy. In the same year the rapper was stabbed five times in Ayia Napa.[1] Many tabloids suggested that this event was connected to an apparent feud between Dizzee and UK Top 40-topping garage act So Solid Crew. Despite the often serious content of his music, there are frequently humorous elements to be found.

Following the success of the "I Luv U" single and the album, the second single from Boy in da Corner was "Fix Up, Look Sharp". The single, released in August 2003, gave Dizzee his first UK top 20 single and also became the biggest hit from his debut album. In September, Dizzee was awarded the prestigious Mercury Prize for the best album of 2003.[1] He was the youngest person (at 19) to do so and the second rapper (after Ms. Dynamite the previous year). The album was also chosen as the #1 album of the year by Planet Sound.

Along with being picked as the #1 album of the year by Planet Sound, Boy in da Corner was also chosen as one of the top 50 albums of the year by Rolling Stone, joining the likes of Kanye West, Mos Def, Eminem, and Jadakiss for 2004.[10] His unique style, as "words pour out at a high pitch and pace, as if syllables are the only thing that can hold back a scream," have given him a sound that hip hop heads can embrace as something new and original in the hip hop scene.[2]

Later in the year he collaborated with the Basement Jaxx on their third album, Kish Kash on the track "Lucky Star". The track, which was released as a single in November 2003 and gave Dizzee his third top 30 hit. The third and final single, taken from his debut album, was "Jus' a Rascal", which became his fourth top 30 success. The song was also featured in the movie Kidulthood, released in 2006.

"Jezebel" was never released from the album Boy in da Corner, but was well received and was exposed to well reviews and popularity on the underground scene. The song told the tale of a young London girl, who through years of going to parties, getting drunk, doing drugs and having sex earned herself the title Jezebel, translated as a slut, slag, whore etc.

http://www.mediafire.com/?f2oj031xxoy

illmitch
04-21-2009, 03:57 PM
All I know of Dizzee Rascal is his verse on UGK - Two Types of Bitches, but that song is HOT, so I think I'll get this. Excellent choice.

kingsoby1
04-21-2009, 03:57 PM
i like this a lot better than Maths + English (from 07)

apparently, he's putting something new out this year.

Seattlantic Taxt
04-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Dizzee destroys. "Sittin Here" and "Jezebel" have excellent lyrics.

Correction
04-21-2009, 05:41 PM
album rules

Apocalyptic Raids
04-21-2009, 09:36 PM
i've got his other two albums, and maths + english is the only one i've really listened to much. should get this.

All I know of Dizzee Rascal is his verse on UGK - Two Types of Bitches, but that song is HOT, so I think I'll get this. Excellent choice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3ZZ7lRsUdI

you might like this then. the album version has pimp c on it too, but the video was done after he died.

Wish
04-22-2009, 04:34 AM
i like this a lot better than Maths + English (from 07).
Definitely.

I like this album a lot but I've just realised how over the top his voice is.

Already_Taken
04-22-2009, 12:14 PM
ratatat does a remix of "Fix Up" and it is probably one of the most awesome songs ever.

kingsoby1
04-25-2009, 11:35 AM
pixiesfamyo you take the next two weeks of this shiit.

easylee
04-25-2009, 11:36 AM
ike 3 people in this forum (maybe) listen to grime or any uk rap at allthree too many!!!

ANDYTHENEVERSTOPPINGMACHINE
04-25-2009, 06:09 PM
link doesn't seem to be working :(

Wish
04-26-2009, 06:17 AM
idk seems to be working for me.

Interstate
04-26-2009, 06:53 AM
I've got all 3 of his albums, immensely talented man, even if he does speak like a dick. I am convinced he puts on that accent when he speaks because no one I know from that area of london speaks like that.

DhA
04-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Let's be real here, like 3 people in this forum (maybe) listen to grime or any UK Rap at all. The point of these is to expand our knowledge of critically acclaimed (or peer-vaunted) releases, and this looks like a good place to go.

You are elite.

griftadan
04-27-2009, 01:08 AM
all i've heard is a hood internet mash up of fix up with cindy lauper pretty good **** actually

gaslightanthem
04-27-2009, 08:20 PM
boy in da corner is such a good album ...pretty sure i rec'd you to re-check this album out a few weeks back kingsoby

kingsoby1
04-27-2009, 08:25 PM
yeah, that's why i put it up here, pretty good stuff. i need to start reviewing each album that goes up here i think, instead of just doing current releases.

actually, jared, i think we should start an album reviewing competition for the next 4 installments of CotM. whoever can best mix quantity and quality as per our opinion gets to choose these for a month or something.

gaslightanthem
04-27-2009, 08:38 PM
awesome, it would be pretty great if you did - none of dizzee's albums have been reviewed, for example & this in particular deserves one

Iai
04-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Album is great.