PDA

View Full Version : Classic of the Minute (4/8): Outkast - Aquemini [1998]

kingsoby1
04-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Next up is Outkast's Aquemini... southern hip-hop at it's finest. I've been completely addicted to this recently and figured it'd be fun to switch up the regions.

Jared, pick something next Weds please.

Aquemini is the third studio album by hip hop duo OutKast, released September 29, 1998 on LaFace Records.[1] The title is a portmanteau of the two performers' Zodiac signs: Aquarius (Big Boi) and Gemini (André 3000).[2] The album was certified platinum in November 1998, only two months after its release, and was certified double platinum on July 2, 1999 by the Recording Industry Association of America.[3] Aquemini peaked at #2 on both the Billboard 200 and the Top R&B/Hip-Hop charts.[4] Four of the album's tracks had already or would later become singles.[5]

Content

A vaguely futuristic, synthesizer-drenched album punctuated with anthemic choruses and bluesy beats, Aquemini tackles many topics such as emancipation, drug addiction and problematic relationships, while exploring the bleakest aspects of humanity. In contrast to much of hip hop music in the late 1990s, OutKast did not tone down the regional qualities, like the harmonica break on "Rosa Parks" and distinctive Atlanta slang and diction throughout. The song led to much controversy with Rosa Parks filing a defamation suit against OutKast.[6] "Rosa Parks" was later nominated for the 1999 Grammy Award for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group.[7] Aquemini also featured live instrumentation and poetic lyricism, such as the reggae horns on the seven-minute long "SpottieOttieDopaliscious" and wah-wah guitar on the closing track "Chonkyfire". The album also included West Savannah, which was an outtake from Outkast's debut album Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik. The track was also featured as an intro to the "Benz Or Beamer" video, but was held off Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik and not used on the duo's follow-up album ATLiens, finally to surface on this album. The song is the original version and was not re-recorded for the album. A small intro to the song begins at the end of Slump, with Big Boi referring to the song's history.

Lyrics

Delivered by rhythmic vocal abilities and distinctive Southern rapping, the main focus of the album seemed to be on morality. With complex metaphors and dirty South slang, Andre addresses his critics in the album opener, "Return of the G". It's the return of the gangsta/Thanks ta' them niggas that think you soft/And say, "Y'all be gospel rappin'" /But they be steady clappin'/When you talk about bitches and switches/And hoes and clothes and weed.... Aquemini's catchy lyrics are a mix of street-wise and common sense. RapReviews.com noted that "Aquemini is full of small moments that make you nod your head and look forward to hearing them again."[8] "SpottieOttieDopaliscious" featured a soulful hook by Sleepy Brown and introspective lyricism by Big Boi and Andre. In addition to the very detailed metaphors, Big Boi recited his lyrics in spoken word style for the song.

When I first met my SpottieOttieDopalicious Angel
I can remember that damn thing like yesterday
The way she moved reminded me of a Brown Stallion
horse with skates on smooth like a hot comb on nappy *** hair
I walked up on her & was almost paralyzed
her neck was smelling sweeter than a plate of yams with extra syrup
eyes beaming like four karats apiece just blindin' a nigga
felt like I chiefed a whole O of that Presidential
My heart was beating so damn fast
never knowing this moment would bring another
life into this world

—Big Boi, "SpottieOttieDopalicious"

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y9BZT3PS

* Allmusic 5/5 stars
* Robert Christgau (A-)
* Entertainment Weekly (A)
* Los Angeles Times 4/4 stars
* PopMatters (favorable)
* Q 5/5 stars link
* RapReviews (10/10)
* Rolling Stone 4/5 stars 1998
* Rolling Stone 5/5 stars 2004
* The Source 5/5 stars

illmitch
04-09-2009, 01:53 AM
friggin' amazing album, i got it back in the old days when i was just getting into hip hop, but then for some reason i deleted it and didn't really listen to outkast for a while. i actually only got it again recently, and i was of course wowed.

have any of you guys heard Lil' Waynes remake of Jazzy Belle entitled PMW (pussy money weed)? i like it a lot, i think it's a great take on the original.

Apocalyptic Raids
04-09-2009, 04:42 AM
return of the 'g' is amazing

Iai
04-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Don't like it all that much in fairness, good record though.

edit: I prefer Stankonia for the record

StalkingButler
04-09-2009, 07:47 PM
I was bored one day about a week ago and put together all of Andre's verses on this album. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFYAVLN-utM

One of the best hip hop performances I know of.

Production: A (3.7/4)
Lyricism: A (3.8/4)
Flow: A (1.9/2)

Andre: 2/2 :: 1/1
Big Boi: 1.8/2 :: .9/1

Overall: A (9.4/10)

10th best hip hop album on my all-time list.

The album is diverse and creative enough for lasting power. It has yet to lose its charm with me. I love OutKast, one of my favorite groups, but I think I listen to Aquemini 75% of the time. It's that good. It's their prime that balances their more traditional hip hop roots with their crazier, more creative (mainstream) side.

DhA
04-10-2009, 06:14 PM
I actually forgot how good this is, I need to get it again, cheers. Definetly a lot better than Stankoina and Speakerboxx/Love Below I think. Haven't heard the others. This whole album is awesome, especially the art of storytelling ones I think they were called.

kingsoby1
04-10-2009, 07:53 PM
yeah, this is their best so far for me. thanks for getting me into this joe... i checked out your andre 3000 verses on youtube and was sold. from what ive heard on atliens, i'd like that too.

ATM
04-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Love this album.

Time
04-11-2009, 09:37 PM
i remember listening to Outkast's greatest hits nonstop when I was younger, quite a few of them are on here. I think I'll have to start listening again.

SgtPrimus
04-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Media fire download got reported or something.

kingsoby1
04-12-2009, 06:50 PM
found another and removed the url tags