PDA

View Full Version : Warwick Thumb NT

P13
07-01-2008, 01:12 AM
Warwick Thumb NT (Neck-Through)

List Price: $4999.99
Price Paid: $1750 (Sweet deal, eh?)
Bought the bass used, 2005 model, previous owner took amazing care of this bass

My bass playing experience is nearing 4 years of playing and about 5 months of playing with a prog-metal band. I have one 50W amp (Peavey Minx 110) and a Boss GT-6B effects board. I have a wide range of techniques from 3 finger plucking to tapping to chords, etc.

I've had this bass for about 3 months and have played it for almost all of that time.

Specs:
-Neck-through-design
-4 String version
-Bubinga Pommele body
-Ovangkol neck
-Tigerstripe Ebony fingerboard
-Scale length: 34" (long scale)
-26 frets
-Active MEC J/J pickups
-Active MEC 3-way electronics
-Natural Oil Finish
-Warwick tuners
-2-piece Warwick bridge
-Warwick security locks
-Black hardware
-Just-A-Nut III
-Weight: 4.4 kg or 9.7lbs (4-string)

Looks and Finish: 4.5/5
This bass has its own unique and extraordinary look to it. Its smaller than average body and longer than average neck (thanks to the 26 frets) give it a certain look that I personally really like. The oil finish looks excellent, when it is waxed. I like playing the bass more than maintaining it so I rarely wax it and it leaves a small discoloured patch at the pickup where I rest my thumb. If anything, it is the wood that makes this bass: the bubinga and ovangkol give it that deep wood look that just made me fall in love with the bass. It would be a 5/5 if I didn't have to wax it.

Tone: 5/5
The tone on this bass is what I love. People usually complain about how dark the tone is but I find that the darkness takes away from the harshness that treble and mid can be on bass tones. I actually turn the bass up quite a bit when playing this bass to get a great thunderous roar out of the pickups. If played flat (on amp and bass) it sounds good but it doesn't have enough kick for me.
The preamp on the Thumb is just astounding. When I play with my band I keep my preamp at a growling setting: both pickups, no added mid, no added treble, added bass and it has a versatile prog/metal/jazz tone to it. but I am able to make any type of tone I so desire such as blues, fretless (well, as much as possible), upright, picked bass, funk, etc.
I have had no problems with the electronics except for the input cuts out when I press on it the wrong way with the cable. I have no idea if this is from the previous owner or from the factory.

Set-Up: 4.5/5
The set up on this bass was not changed from the factory settings when I purchased it and they were almost perfect. Some strings were a bit too high and some were a fraction too low. With a little bit of my own tweeking I have made this bass my own and a joy to play.

Playability: 5/5
The action and string spacing on this bass are one of the things that made me decide that a Warwick was for me. The strings are a perfect space apart for my sometimes clumsy fingers and great for popping and chords. The action was slightly off when I received the bass but it was so minute it didn't matter. A major factor in the playability of the bass is the neck angle. With the two piece bridge you get a neck angle that gives a more even string hit even without a ramp/pickguard. One small thing that I have only complained about once (human error) is that the Just A Nut (Don't know which version) is sharp on the edges and when doing a quick slide down to fret 1 I cut myself on the nut and have payed attention to my hand ever since.
The necks shape is quite thick but not in a bad way. It gives you more freedom for moving your hand in different positions (thumb position mostly) and is incredibly fast. There is quite a bit of freedom for the left hand even at the 26th fret, which is quite a small fret my friends.
A small, over looked feature of the bass is a curved body, which makes it extremely comfortable to wear. Additionally: there is almost NO neck dive on this bass. It may look disproportional but it is very well balanced.

Value: 5/5
Hmmmmm... Well, since I bought it used at a bargain that blew my mind (would not have been able to get one of these for years if he didn't sell it that low) I cannot really say if it is worth my 5000 dollars because I haven't dropped that much on a bass. But if I ever get a 6 string it will probably be a 6 string Warwick Thumb NT, but that would be years and years away.
If you have a lot of money or found a great deal for one of these basses, BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT! Everything is excellent on the bass and I have virtually no problems. I would have bought this bass at list price if it so called for (and if I had the cash).

Conclusion: 4.9/5 (actual average= 4.8/5)
I know that a 5/5 is a big no no when reviewing equipment, but this bass has proven that it is almost there. Just minute, personal adjustments make this bass one that will last me for life (if it doesn't break/get lost [pray for me]). However, this bass is one that you need to play at least once in your life. Those germans really know how to make a bass.

PS: I still get excited to play this bass, every time, every hour of the day and night.

Please give some tips on review. Thank you!

P13
07-01-2008, 11:04 AM
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn393/GoranVir/IMG_3715.jpg

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn393/GoranVir/IMG_3716.jpg

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn393/GoranVir/IMG_3720.jpg

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn393/GoranVir/IMG_3724.jpg

Sorry about some of them being a bit blurry :\

edgebass5
07-01-2008, 05:43 PM
First-off that's a nice bass you've got there. I've always liked 4-string Thumb NT's. I don't like the pickup placement on the 5 and 6 string models. It makes for a great sounding B and E strings, but it comes at the expense (IMO) of the other strings tonality. The rest get too middy without enough bottom end.

I'd recommend hitting it with a coat of something more rugged than Warwick's wax. I did the base coat on my old Corvette with a hard butcher's wax and then did all of the subsequent waxing with Warwick's wax. Seemed to keep the body looking nicer than a lot of other Warwicks I've seen that have any road use.

I did want to point out that contrary to what your review says, the neck is not "longer than average." The neck is a 34" scale which is basically the industry standard. Adding canatlievered frets or setting the neck higher in the body doesn't equate to a longer neck.

P13
07-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the tip on the wax, I just waxed it and the spot came back over night (AGG!).
Yeah I meant it looks longer, just because the fretboard is longer (more frets) and the body is smaller.

edgebass5
07-02-2008, 02:17 PM
A harder butcher's wax treated me very well for the time I owned that Corvette.

DaveMustaine12
07-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Nice bass. Very pricy, but you got a nice deal on it.
How does it balance while sitting?

P13
07-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Well, I can put it in any position and it will stay there, hope that gives you an idea

aonindy
10-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Hi P13,

just wondering where you picked up your Thumb?

aon.

DaveMustaine12
04-30-2009, 02:54 PM
I wondering how it compares to the bolt on version in terms or weight and balance. NT and Bolt-on look different (wood). Plus NT has 26 frets while bolt-on has 24. I wonder if NT balances better or not.

DaveMustaine12
04-30-2009, 03:02 PM
I just went to Warwick website. The bolt-on version's body is made of ovangkol and has an ovangkol neck with wenge fingerboard. The NT version's body is obviously made of bubinga with an ovangkol/bubinga neck. Does anyone know if bubinga is more dense of a wood than ovangkol? If it is, then it might mean that NT version might balance better than the bolt on.

edgebass5
04-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Does anyone know if bubinga is more dense of a wood than ovangkol? If it is, then it might mean that NT version might balance better than the bolt on.

Bubinga is noticeably heavyier than ovangkol. Ovangkol isn't the lightest wood in the world, but compared to Bubinga it seems like it :p

My bubinga bodied Corvette was one of the finest balancing basses I've ever owned. Super heavy body wood with an extended upper horn... That bass couldn't even spell "neck dive" :lol:

DaveMustaine12
05-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Bubinga is noticeably heavyier than ovangkol. Ovangkol isn't the lightest wood in the world, but compared to Bubinga it seems like it :p

My bubinga bodied Corvette was one of the finest balancing basses I've ever owned. Super heavy body wood with an extended upper horn... That bass couldn't even spell "neck dive" :lol:

That's what sucks about Warwick. Corvettes are the only decent basses. Thumbs have neck dive and Dolphins are the ugliest most unergonomic basses ever.

FunkMetalBass
05-11-2009, 04:32 PM
That's what sucks about Warwick. Corvettes are the only decent basses. Thumbs have neck dive and Dolphins are the ugliest most unergonomic basses ever.

Streamers are sexy as hell and probably some of the best balancing I've ever played. (Well, I held one once)

In fact, I believe a Stage II 5-string will be my next bass.

DaveMustaine12
05-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Streamers are sexy as hell and probably some of the best balancing I've ever played. (Well, I held one once)

In fact, I believe a Stage II 5-string will be my next bass.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Streamers. Those are nice, but are very price. Spectors are similar to Streamers and might be a better deal.

Kwote
12-30-2009, 02:07 PM
I really like Warwick basses. I'm itching to get one. I tried a thumb bass out this past weekend for the 2nd time and still love it.

Congrats on acquiring such a kick *** instrument!