PDA

View Full Version : one of my best lessons ever

NUTHA JASON
03-06-2008, 01:09 PM
I discovered a great use for the much despised TAB. and the results have been wonderful particularly since almost all the results have been pupil generated. cool syncopation and weird permutations and loads of thoughtful discussion. to see a full description of the lesson and hear sound files visit:

http://jasonhorsler.tripod.com/id98.html

i would love it if some of you tried this out and posted your results in this thread.

j

We_Love_Lime
03-06-2008, 03:55 PM
You have a student named Ju Hun?

Kainen
03-06-2008, 04:45 PM
interesting concept. I'd suggest giving them room for 16th notes next time :)

sLarkin20
03-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Haha wow, I really liked the feel of that last one when I was "air drumming" it right now. I like what they came up with.

NUTHA JASON
03-07-2008, 05:43 AM
juhun is korean. lots of talent this kid. good attituge too.

thanks guys. i just got back from the girl's school and sarah and isabella have each bought loads of new stuff to the lesson. i didn't touch my prepped material at all.we spent the whole lesson whittling their ideas. really intelligent discussions and loads of options. This really is the perfect follow-up on a set of syncopation lessons. BTW i taight this lesson after 2 syncopation lessons and a lesson on bonham's syncopation (we did levi breaks and i demonstrated 'ramble on')

BummerJonny
03-09-2008, 04:16 AM
i love this idea, might totally randomise it, thatd be cooll...

Imperial Star
03-16-2008, 07:03 AM
Good idea. Although with playing straight 8th the grooves will never be too hard.

Too add some complexity I would remove the constant bass on 1 to allow the student to choose if anything goes there. Also do the same thing to the hi hat. You would get some tricky grooves while while playing with a syncopated kick, snare and hi hat.

Cheungman
03-16-2008, 10:14 AM
i was looking and the third beat written in notation is written incorrectly from what i saw.

loungecore
04-13-2008, 01:44 PM
this is a great idea!

Panopticon
04-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Good idea. Although with playing straight 8th the grooves will never be too hard.

Too add some complexity I would remove the constant bass on 1 to allow the student to choose if anything goes there. Also do the same thing to the hi hat. You would get some tricky grooves while while playing with a syncopated kick, snare and hi hat.

you could also do this with linear grooves. write random notes on a staff and play the groove. Then just switch notes up.

shablul
03-28-2009, 12:31 PM
I think it's quite rubbish, you're working here mainly on READING tabs!

double stroke roller
05-23-2009, 01:24 PM
I have to disagree with you shablul. It's a good way of working out a beat before commitng it to manuscript paper.

sLarkin20
05-23-2009, 01:51 PM
o hi year old thread