PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Vinnie Paul Signature Snare

oliv_da_skinmasher
03-04-2008, 05:40 AM
http://i25.tinypic.com/242sa9w.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/2nm280g.jpg

From its snakeskin finish and spike tube lugs, This drum is not only a powerful sounding drum, but also powerful visually.

With its 14 x 8 6ply maple shell, which is actually the deepest snare drum that Pearl produce.

It's quite boxy & warm sounding. It likes being played with a big stick from a hard hitter on the rim, Not that it can't be played other wise, I just feel that if you use a beefier stick and give it a nice strong rim shot you get the nice big strong rock sound so many of us look for. That fat and focused sound.

Overall I think this is a fantastic product I really do. Great for that big sound of rock, one flaw however is it's lack of versatility, I mean don't get me wrong if you're looking for a snare to play hard hitting big sounding rock music then look no further. But if you want a snare for a variety of things avoid this snare.

I'd give it about a 7/10. Great snare, shame it's only useful for a select number of applications

stevensonmat2
03-04-2008, 09:25 AM
I gotta say, that is one of the most god-awful finished I've ever seen. I dig the lugs, though.

oliv_da_skinmasher
03-04-2008, 09:29 AM
I like the finish personally lol

pathlessvman
03-04-2008, 01:50 PM
nice review!

oliv_da_skinmasher
03-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Thank you. Shall be another coming sometime this month. Gettin another snare

sLarkin20
03-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Good review, but since the snare IS a Vinnie Paul sig, you can't expect it to be an all around snare drum. You said the snare likes being played with a big stick from a hard hitter, which basically sums up Vinnie's style. I don't think they were trying to market that snare to jazz/funk/latin/whatever else players with it's snake-skin finish and Vinnie Paul name behind it.

oliv_da_skinmasher
03-04-2008, 07:17 PM
No i'm aware of this. But I felt i'd mention it anyway.

sLarkin20
03-04-2008, 07:29 PM
That's fair. Want I was meaning to say was that it didn't seem logical to give it a lower score for not being a diverse snare when that's not really they type of snare it is, but that's just me I guess. Either way, it wasn't my review :]

oliv_da_skinmasher
03-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Well tbh I feel a snare should be as versitile as possible. But hey. If you're looking for a rock/metal snare i'll say look no further

pearl_srx
12-27-2009, 06:51 PM
..... It likes being played with a big stick from a hard hitter on the rim, Not that it can't be played other wise, I just feel that if you use a beefier stick and give it a nice strong rim shot....

you should really review adult film movies haha.... great review...does this snare do good with snares off? i would assume so due to the depth.... im looking for a side snare to play primarily with snares off