PDA

View Full Version : string gauge quesiton

MasterofBass
10-16-2007, 02:05 AM
hey,

I haven't been here in forever (no clue why), but I always turn to here for help.

My new problem is I have a 5 stringer (which i tune tenor), and since getting a new bass, I've been needing to make this go from standard to D Standard for my band, also needing to drop C every so often. So pretty much I have the gauges for all the other strings pretty much figured out, but the lowest one, I was wondering if .120 would be too much if it was D. My E-Standard gauges for this bass are .110, .85, .70, .50, and .35, so i'm hoping the .120 will not be a problem, and It'll really help me with the C. (of course i"ll re-set up my bass for that, so no suggestions are needed for that)

So pretty much has anybody used a .120 tuned to D at the highest and did it ever create problems such as snapping for you?

EADG
10-16-2007, 07:43 AM
.035 is too heavy for a C imo

.110 should be fine for a D/C, but if you want heavier.. .120 might be too much. But I dont think a .115 string exists...

what's wrong with .110?

MasterofBass
10-16-2007, 11:14 AM
hmm... ok. Yeah, the .115 exists in the Rotosound swing bass, I just was also looking out for a cheaper way to do it (their light 5er set worked perfectly but had a .120 top), but buying a light set of 4's and throwing a .115 looks like what I'll do

and .110 is good, but from past experience on this bass (first time I"m putting it in a drop tuning in almost 3 years), it was not enough for C. Also because it's pretty fast stuff and if the C is even the slightest bit floppy to me it won't feel right and just will bug me.

and for .035 for a high C works fine for me, but i forgot to mention when it's standard I sometimes tune the C to B, and the .035 works perfectly for that in my case.

but thanks, i didn't think about doing .115, but it does exist, and most likely I'll be doing that.

anybody else have suggestions?

EADG
10-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Well a heavy gauge set would work for D standard

I'm thinking, like.. .035, .050, .70, .90, .110

I'd try that out, and if you really don't like the .110 for tuning down to C, swap it for a .115 if possible. A .120 could work (since it's a really light B string, and C is only a semitone up from B) but I don't how it would handle D. I can't really see it snapping though.

Pluperfect_Arson
10-16-2007, 04:39 PM
This is what you do:

Ultimately, you stop QQ about your string floppiness because you are tuning a 5-string tenor, then tuning down. Tuning down causes a loss of string tension; therefore, your strings are going to be a bit floppy. There is only so much you can do to pick up the slack.

Second, you could always string it standard and have all of the notes you need plus some. Oh, geez, who would have thought? If you play open strings a tonne when you tune down, learn to fret those as well as other notes. If you cannot achieve that, you should train to become faster.

Third, you can always purchase a 6-string if you absolutely need to keep your C string. If you say anything regarding your hand size and them being too small, I will punch you in the face.

EDIT: Wait, when did D-standard come from tuning up from E-standard? I reread your post, and you want a .120 to tune up to D from E? Wth, I am confused, now.

EADG
10-16-2007, 04:41 PM
This is what you do:

Ultimately, you stop QQ about your string floppiness because you are tuning a 5-string tenor, then tuning down. Tuning down causes a loss of string tension; therefore, your strings are going to be a bit floppy. There is only so much you can do to pick up the slack.

Second, you could always string it standard and have all of the notes you need plus some. Oh, geez, who would have thought? If you play open strings a tonne when you tune down, learn to fret those as well as other notes. If you cannot achieve that, you should train to become faster.

Third, you can always purchase a 6-string if you absolutely need to keep your C string. If you say anything regarding your hand size and them being too small, I will punch you in the face.

great answer but that's not what he wants to do. He wants to tune his bass tenor and then down a step.

and he isn't playing a 6 string, he's playing a 5. Maybe he doesn't want a 6 string.

would you tell Dan Briggs the same thing?

Pluperfect_Arson
10-16-2007, 04:45 PM
great answer but that's not what he wants to do. He wants to tune his bass tenor and then down a step.

and he isn't playing a 6 string, he's playing a 5. Maybe he doesn't want a 6 string.

would you tell Dan Briggs the same thing?

I made an edit. :p

Also, I would tell Dan Briggs the same thing if he was QQ. Did you see my recent BTBAM thread? All I did was bash on them.

His post was a bit confusing because he stated that he tunes tenor, but tunes to drop C every once-in-a-while. Then, he was wondering if a .120 would be good for tuning up. On my reread, this is where it threw me off.

EADG
10-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Ok Plu

he wants to string his bass tenor

then tune it down a step

so EADGC

to DGCFBb

and sometimes drop the D to C

making CGCFBb

and he wants to know what string gauges to use for these tunings

now do you know what's going on?

Pluperfect_Arson
10-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I understood all of that. I did not understand why he asked about snapping problems for a ".120 tuned to D at the highest." Right there, it sounds to me like he wants to tune up! In their right minds, who snaps strings that are tuned down? That is quite a task to accomplish, especially on a bass.

EADG
10-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I understood all of that. I did not understand why he asked about snapping problems for a ".120 tuned to D at the highest." Right there, it sounds to me like he wants to tune up! In their right minds, who snaps strings that are tuned down? That is quite a task to accomplish, especially on a bass.

He doesn't like the tension of a .110 when tuned down to C

so he was wondering if he could use a .120 for D/C

the .120 is a light B string gauge so it could handle the C

but he was wondering if the .120 would handle the D tuning

or if it would be too tight/break

now do you understand

Pluperfect_Arson
10-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Man, if it took me that long to realise what he was trying to say, there must be something wrong with the way he constructed his original post. :amaze:

Tuning up is dumb, though. :p

MasterofBass
10-16-2007, 07:12 PM
haha, sorry to confuse you all. I did write that at 3am so may be partially because of it, plus I don't proofread.

EADG got it right. I do happen to have 2 basses, the one in question i need to make tuned D Standard (DGCFBb) because my guitarists refuse to do standard tuning (which is how my other 4 stringer is set up for, and it's done perfectly and I have the piano wound 99's on there and wont' settle for anything else).

And my guitarists do Drop C, depending on the song, but I'll say it's half and half between the tunings. If they didn't drop to C this thread would have not existed as I had a solution for the D, in fact, I would not even change my strings.

Pretty much and I did re-type it to just ask if anybody has tuned a .120 to a D (and I said tuning up because it's a higher pitch than that string would normally be used for) and if so any problems.

Also, my bass teacher who completely re-set up my bass used some epoxy-resin to build up the height of the nut since I was using thinner gauge strings than the manufacturer originally intended, so going back to BEADG is out of the question in my book, plus I never used the low B much, so I wanted to expand my tonal capability up since I did use that more. So don't recommend me anything about getting a 6 string (which is on my list evenutally when I need it), or going standard because I already know what I want to do with my bass.

Thanks for your help, and to EADG unless I hear any other useful suggestions I'm going to buy a light set for a 4 stringer and buy the .115 gauge separately.

also as a note I only asked about the .120 because I found a 5 string set that all the string gauges were what I wanted for the higher 4 strings (.035, .050, .070, and .090) with the low string being .120. And being a struggling college student liked the idea of buying that set because it would have saved me some bucks. Also I have this feeling that they're going to drop C a whole lot more than I'm going to expect.

EADG
10-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Man, if it took me that long to realise what he was trying to say, there must be something wrong with the way he constructed his original post. :amaze:

Tuning up is dumb, though. :p

Tuning up a light set or tuning down a heavy set, what's the difference? You're getting the same tension either way

EADG
10-16-2007, 08:53 PM
TS if you have 2 basses why not tune one DGCFBb and one CGCF

or something like that

then they will both have the tension you want and you won't have to retune

One Groovin Clown
10-16-2007, 09:25 PM
lol plu, nice usage of QQ.

Get off wow you junkie.

MasterofBass
10-16-2007, 09:31 PM
yeah, see, if I had 3 basses that would be easy. But I always play stuff in standard when I don't jam with them, and such, but good suggestion nonetheless, thanks.

and I've been seeing this QQ stuff, wtf is it?

One Groovin Clown
10-16-2007, 09:34 PM
It's Nik being to addicted to World of Warcraft. It's supposed to be 2 eyes crying, so people use it when people complain or whine.

Ex: zomg u hack!
- QQ some more noob.

Get it?

Pluperfect_Arson
10-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Tuning up a light set or tuning down a heavy set, what's the difference? You're getting the same tension either way

Tuning up = for n00bz
Tuning down = for metal

Where do you stand?

Pluperfect_Arson
10-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Insanely long write up.

My first post was actually being a douche bag because I was really bored, until I was actually confused by what you were saying when I thoroughly read it. Everything is cleared up, now, though. :)

Pluperfect_Arson
10-16-2007, 09:38 PM
lol plu, nice usage of QQ.

Get off wow you junkie.

It's Nik being to addicted to World of Warcraft. It's supposed to be 2 eyes crying, so people use it when people complain or whine.

Ex: zomg u hack!
- QQ some more noob.

Get it?

I think QQ is incredibly funny for some reason, that is why I tend to use it more than I probably should. I have never seen it used outside of WoW and their forums. :(

HELLonWHEELS
10-16-2007, 09:56 PM
This might be a bit ignorant, but it sounds like you need a 6 string bass.

MasterofBass
10-16-2007, 10:52 PM

If i had money to burn I'd have one, but it'll come someday.

EADG
10-16-2007, 10:58 PM

Why?

if you're not going to use the B what's the point?

also people use tenor/alternate tunings for reasons other than range.