PDA

View Full Version : Carvin BR-15

owlandtree
10-03-2007, 02:04 AM
I took the plunge. After 18 years of looking at Carvin catalogs and hearing all the good reviews Carvin typically gets, I decided to take a factory-direct chance and order a BR-15 bass amp. I needed something smaller and for $340.00 it sounded like a sure bet. WRONG.
I get the amp almost two weeks later. Sounds good everthing is gold. Then I rehearse with the band (higher volume) and I started getting this digital-like static on the decay. I call Carvin and tell them this is wrong and they agree to pick it up in three days via UPS and return me a new one. They did....almost two and a half weeks later!!
This one seems fine. I play it for a couple of hours and put it down for about a week. Go to plug it in and NO POWER! Tried everything from the power chord to calling the tech at Carvin and taking the head out while he was on the phone. We could not figure out what was wrong....after being on the phone with this guy (Carvin customer service sucks; uncaring dolts who obviously believe it is a privilege to own their sub-par products) for over 30 minutes I get a shock from one of the capacitors....a minute later I look at the front and the power light is on!! WTF?? So I have a gig in two weeks that I will need the amp for, no time to send it back.
Played it for an hour and put it away for a few days. Picked it up and the same thing....no Power...no deal. Called them and went through my story AGAIN, this time just get it out of my sight and give me my cash including shipping losers (I wish I would have said that)!!
I had to call a half dozen times over the course of a month to get my shipping back.

Two faulty amps, inept and indifferent customer service, while trying to hang on to $32 lousy bucks.
Has anyone else had similar experiences with Carvin or is it just me?

mfb
10-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Well could we like have a review on the amp and not a rant on their customer service? Maybe you just got two lemons, that is not exactly unbelievable though you're completely right; it shouldn't happen.

owlandtree
10-09-2007, 07:41 PM
The BR15 Bass Combo has the BX120 head and features contour control, single knob compressor, and front-mounted XLR direct output found in BX600 bass head. With 120 watts output power at 8 ohms.

It also features parametric EQ with mid sweep and a 5-band graphic equalizer coupled with a Graphic EQ In/Out switch as well as Active/Passive switching, and the switches feature active electronics. There is also a Master control for the preamp and a "tweeter pad" knob in the back. This sounded good because I like a lot of room to play with my sound.

Unfortunately the "digital fuzz" I experienced (with the first one) when playing at high volumes denied me the opportunity to hear what it could do in a band setting. The second one just wouldn't receive power.

What ultimately sold me on this one, as opposed to the Ashdown 15" 180 I was scoping, was the wedge shape. I needed something smaller than my Hartke 4X10 to play with bluegrass band, as opposed to the Zappa tribute band that requires more volume. It seemed logical to buy something a little smaller with acoustic instruments like violin and harmonica.

It is VERY uncommon to have so many problems; speaker, circuitry and customer service. In hind sight I should have went with the Ashdown I was looking at for a similar price: Carvin $360.00 and Ashdown $330.00 respectively.

That is why I posted this. Since I had been eyeballing Carvin products for so many years my ONLY experience with Carvin was a double downer.

alisveris
06-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Cool site you have here. i am really impressed on how you present this site. It's not that trashy but it's so cool. I'm so happy to know that music lovers like me can now have this site for us to be able to express our feelings and for our love for music.

mawada net
06-09-2010, 03:45 AM
Carvin's Musical instrument have been in the market for 60years and personally I have a Carvin guitar and i did not have that kind of problem.. Well anyway there is always a first time for everything.. Some of my friends have Amps from Carvin and they too did not have the same problem as you had. But it's a good thing that you have refunded your money.

emanuele mastroddi
06-09-2010, 05:57 AM
Can I know the model of the amp that you purchased?.. I was just curious because as a music lover and I also own some of Carvin's instruments. But I think that you should give Carvin a second chance.

edgars apalais
06-10-2010, 12:59 AM
It still nice to hear that you have recovered your money.. but I have been using a Carvin guitar amps for years now and I haven't experience trouble so far.. Please give us the exact model of the material that you have bought so that we can discuss things better. Here's a list of some Amps that i know of TRx12N 12" 2-Way Monitor , TRx115N 15" 2-Way Main/Monitor, TRx115N-2 15" 2-Way Main/Monitor Package, TRx218N Dual 18" Subwoofer and TRx118N 18" Subwoofer. is the amp that you bought on my list?

Patricia Agafie
06-10-2010, 09:21 PM
I am not familiar to the brand that you are referring to but I am glad that you are able to give refund the money that you have paid.. that is better than not able to use the product and at the same time not able to refund your money.

Darren_Tinsley
06-11-2010, 04:09 AM
I took the plunge. After 18 years of looking at Carvin catalogs and hearing all the good reviews Carvin typically gets, I decided to take a factory-direct chance and order a BR-15 bass amp. I needed something smaller and for $340.00 it sounded like a sure bet. WRONG.
I get the amp almost two weeks later. Sounds good everthing is gold. Then I rehearse with the band (higher volume) and I started getting this digital-like static on the decay. I call Carvin and tell them this is wrong and they agree to pick it up in three days via UPS and return me a new one. They did....almost two and a half weeks later!!
This one seems fine. I play it for a couple of hours and put it down for about a week. Go to plug it in and NO POWER! Tried everything from the power chord to calling the tech at Carvin and taking the head out while he was on the phone. We could not figure out what was wrong....after being on the phone with this guy (Carvin customer service sucks; uncaring dolts who obviously believe it is a privilege to own their sub-par products) for over 30 minutes I get a shock from one of the capacitors....a minute later I look at the front and the power light is on!! WTF?? So I have a gig in two weeks that I will need the amp for, no time to send it back.
Played it for an hour and put it away for a few days. Picked it up and the same thing....no Power...no deal. Called them and went through my story AGAIN, this time just get it out of my sight and give me my cash including shipping losers (I wish I would have said that)!!
I had to call a half dozen times over the course of a month to get my shipping back.

Two faulty amps, inept and indifferent customer service, while trying to hang on to $32 lousy bucks.
Has anyone else had similar experiences with Carvin or is it just me?

I've had the very same experience.. I had to call them more than just a couple of times, and with those calls, I get nothing but lousy answers.. You're fortunate that you were able to get your money.. Until now, they are giving me false and crappy allibies.

M2_Bodrum
06-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong.. But is it correct that you have considered Carvin instrument for quite sometime and when you decided to get one you bought a factory directed Amp..right? I think that you have bought the ones in the store because they are checked more vigorously.

Roman_Gertz
06-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Carvin's Musical instrument have been in the market for 60years and personally I have a Carvin guitar and i did not have that kind of problem.. Well anyway there is always a first time for everything.. Some of my friends have Amps from Carvin and they too did not have the same problem as you had. But it's a good thing that you have refunded your money.

I must agree with you on that.. Although I have read some reviews complaining about their customer service, I haven't experienced anything - from the purchase, until the delivery to the handling and shipping. Perhaps, based from your experience, can I say that it is pure bad luck?

Trop Hort
06-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Good to know that! I have been on a look out for a bass instrument. It's best to learn that there is a website where we could share our insights regarding instruments. thanks a lot for the help.

Free Covers
06-16-2010, 07:09 PM
I know this is an old thread but I must say that you have presented this site well. I would like to ask what's your amp model? I am trying to set up a home theater. Any suggestion on this?

http://www.allfreecovers.com/

Brian Grimes
06-17-2010, 01:07 AM
I have been using that brand in my band.. But i haven't got any problem with its performance..Well I guess the saying is true "there's always a first time for everything"

Domainalter, Domainwert (http://www.1stag.com/lang/de/domainalter/)

Debt Consolidation Help
07-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Hi.. I am on a look out for bass guitar, I was wondering if you can suggest a brand with a high quality sound? I badly need one... thanks.

http://www.free-debt-consolidation-help.com

Jimbobntnr
07-14-2010, 04:15 PM
epic thread.

The Forgotten Bassist
07-20-2010, 08:19 PM
epic thread.

So many spam bots, it's just not real

Blogpostwriter
10-26-2010, 09:47 AM
choose the one jaco pastoreus used. that would be awesome!

Blog Writing Service (http://www.theblogpostwriters.com)