PDA

View Full Version : Pork Pie 'Piglite' Snare Review

stevensonmat2
11-29-2006, 03:28 AM
Since goalieman92 was kind enough to put up a review of Pork Pie's 14" Acrylic snare, I figured I should write one on Pork Pie's 7"X13" 'Piglite' Acrylic snare, priced at a very reasonable $200 American.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/drew-and-not-u/mat/snare2.jpg

The first thing I noticed when I looked at this snare was it's striking orange acrylic shell, very nice for anyone looking for a snare that will stand out. Secondly, I was happy to see that the snare came with Remo heads and Pork Pie brass snares stock, meaning I would'nt need to replace either any time soon. As for the hardware on this drum, it was hard not to notice the handsome tube lugs(which add a nice vintage feel) and the throw-off system, the latter being easy to use and visually descrete. Add on the 2.3mm triple-flanged hoops and you have yourself a well put together and visually appealing snare drum.

After giving the snare a thorough visual inspection, it was time to test what matters the most: sound! While test-playing this little oinker I immediately noticed it's incredible crack and funky flavor. Indeed, as soon as I started playing I was urged to lay down the funk. The snare's extreme responsiveness and bright tonal colors allow for very dynamic play, so keeping a strong back beat with ghost notes galore is a breeze. Infact, I stayed at the music store a good 45 minutes playing this one snare, exploring it's range of sound.

I went through rock, funk, R&B/hip-hop, jazz, and punk(I even dropped some reggae on this bad boy!), and I found that while the Piglite excelled in the styles of funk, punk and R&B/hip-hop, it didn't feel quite right in a jazz setting. The snare wanted to jump when the music wanted to swing, so if your looking for a jazz drum the Piglite probably is'nt for you. Furthermore, though the Piglite plays adequately in a rock setting, the funky dryness of this snare may not be what the more traditonal rocker is looking for. That being said, I still found this snare to be versatile and capable of a wide range of color whether it's played in the center, near the hoop or on the rim.

So the Piglite passed the intial tests, displaying versatility and a bright personality coupled with excellent quality at a great price, but one more trial remained: how does it sound with the rest of the band?

I purchased the Piglite on a 30 day trial run so I could bring it to practice and see how it blended with other instruments, and I have to say I was very pleased. My band indulged me enough to play through various styles, and once again the snare excelled most prominently in funk, punk and R&B/hip-hop, but I was also pleasently suprised by how well the sound of the snare meshed with the band when we played rock. It's strong attack definitely helped power along the beat while we were ripping it up, though a more rock-oriented snare would still be better suited than the Piglite for such music. After all the jamming was over, the general consensus of the band was that "the snare sounds great!"

So after all was said and done, I ended up keeping this snare. For the price, qaulity, and versatility, the Piglite is a solid choice for an intermediate snare.

Pros-Good price, great quality, and a nice funky tone which blends well with most music

Cons-The dryness of this snare is not the best for jazz and more traditional rock

Overall score: 4 out of 5 :chug:

goalieman92
12-01-2006, 09:48 PM
very good review. now we can just post the pair of them when someone asks about either

stevensonmat2
12-02-2006, 08:12 PM
bingo :thumb:

DrummingBen
12-10-2006, 03:57 AM
Wish my shop had 30 day trials...

PsychoTronn
12-30-2006, 03:11 AM
kinda looks like a snare "brain" from primus would use