View Full Version : Roland VS-1680
Hey my band got one of these recently, and cheap. We recorded some stuff on it, but wanted to edit it on my computer. So today I brought the little beauty over and hooked it up to my computer. I have Cubase SX and I was wondering how I got Cubase to recognize the system and trakcs.
11-11-2006, 10:16 AM
You may want to check your user manual.
I google'd the hell out of it, because I'm OCD like that, and really couldn't find a solution...
I'm guessing it's a USB connection you're looking for?
I'm not sure if this applies to all versions of cubase sx, but here is what I did for sx-3:
1. You need a midi interface to do it properly (a midi controller will work too).
You connect the midi out of your vs-1680 to the midi in of your midi interface and the midi out of your midi interface to the midi in of your 1680.
2. Connect the 1680 to your sound card. Ideally if you have a decent sound card (and you should) you should connect via either digital optical or digital coax. Whichever output you decide to use from your 1680, make sure you configure your sound card accordingly.
3. Go into your 1680 and hold shift - f5. Select system parameters (f1).
Make sure 'int' (internal sync) is selected and exit.
4. Now you can slave cubase to your 1680. You need to go into the sync options and select 'external sync.' You also need to make sure your midi clock is set to the same rate in both your 1680 and cubase.
5. You have to go into VST-connections and tell cubase where the audio is coming from. Set up inputs and outputs for whichever input you used from your 1680 to your sound card.
Now you should be set up so your mixer from your 1680 is controlling cubase.
I'm going by memory here, but if you want a more detailed explaination,
it is explained in the manual for the 1680 (near the back). Actually it is explained even better in 'home recording for Dummies' which is a good reference book anyways because it touches on everything from mic placement and eq to setups like this one.
vBulletin® v3.8.1, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.