PDA

View Full Version : How to make a squier strat sound better?

tele_hero
09-09-2006, 08:36 AM
Hi all,

Ive got a Squier strat that ive been using with a cheap Danelectro Heavy Metal pedal, but im finding the sound to 'tinny' in comparision to the rest of my band.

With a budget of around 100, im looking to get a better sound for metal/prog rock (i.e. Tool, Pelican). Although the obvious recommendation is to get a better guitar/amp/rack, I dont have the funds but am sure that better pedals could improve it.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Just to note, I play a Line 6 Spider and will have a Roland Cube 60 soon.

Kevinthejedi
09-09-2006, 10:40 AM
get some hot rails in the bridge.

customgriptape
09-09-2006, 12:39 PM
How to make a squire strat sound much better in one easy step:

Turn the volume knob all the way down.

Seriously though, if you have stock pickups, a pickup change would do you a world of good. I reccomend the Duncan JB.

EinzingerIsGod
09-09-2006, 01:13 PM
I know this is what you said you didn't want to hear, but I would get a new guitar/amp/rack or whatever. Save that money you have now and start saving up. That way you will be able to update your set up sooner, rather than spending money on a pedal and then have to still get a new amp later down the line.

Royd Rage
09-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Hi all,

Ive got a Squier strat that ive been using with a cheap Danelectro Heavy Metal pedal, but im finding the sound to 'tinny' in comparision to the rest of my band.

With a budget of around 100, im looking to get a better sound for metal/prog rock (i.e. Tool, Pelican). Although the obvious recommendation is to get a better guitar/amp/rack, I dont have the funds but am sure that better pedals could improve it.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Just to note, I play a Line 6 Spider and will have a Roland Cube 60 soon.

put the cube on hold and by a new guitar.

what is with people who buy new amps all the time and play with a ****ty guitar and than complain?

Nick
09-09-2006, 03:35 PM
The point behind pedals is to inprove your tone, not to fix it.

Trust us, saving up for a decent amp and living with bad tone until you do is the better choice. Getting a new guitar now will do next to nothing, considering you're running it through a distortion pedal and a spider II.

The way I see it, so much of your sound is controlled by you're amp setup that if you don't like your sound it's foolish to start with the guitar to try and fix it. Sure, fine tune it by trying different guitars, pups, etc, but for the majority of your one you need a good amp.

7-Up
09-09-2006, 07:11 PM
get a new guitar, your question is a retorical one...

trust me, 50 dollar guitars are jsut for people that are still deciding whether they are going to continue playing or not.

purple_hazer
09-10-2006, 12:28 PM
get some hot rails in the bridge.
ofck unoit, turns it into something of a beast

evaworcim
09-10-2006, 02:09 PM
nicks right, the majority of your tone comes through the amp

rob91
09-10-2006, 03:31 PM
get the cube
cube ftw

mnemonic
09-10-2006, 04:26 PM
i assume you're playing metal, my suggestion would be to get a hotrails for the bridge, thats like 60 bucks. the difference between using a singlecoil, and humbucker when trying to play metal is pretty big.

although, through the spider II, i've noticed that most gutiars seem to sound the same (to me atleast). the guitar teacher at school had one back in highschool, and there was't too big of a difference between my friend with a jackson loaded with emg 81/85, and the squier strat with stock singles. they were using that god aweful 'insane' setting thoguh.

but yeah, the cube will improve your tone alot.

Forlorn Hope
09-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Well, my first advice is to use the distortion on the amp and not the crappy pedal. I think you will probably find much better tones on the amp than the pedal. The Insane channel is quite suitable for metal, but make sure you don't have the gain too high.

greyfoxz
09-13-2006, 02:56 AM
heres a totally non guitar related but noob question,what does ftw means?

mnemonic
09-13-2006, 02:59 AM
for the win

7-Up
09-13-2006, 03:38 PM
FTW...ftw.

mutant!
09-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Save up for better gear. The Roland is a great buy IF you don't want to upgrade your amp again in the next 2 years. If you don't think you'll live with it for that long, then rather leave it for now and save up to replace your guitar and your amp.

Also, there's no reason for you to have a Dano metal distortion pedal when you're playing an amp with a lot of metal distortion options in it already. Sell the pedal and add that to your gear fund.

Nipples
09-13-2006, 04:52 PM
ofck unoit, turns it into something of a beast
chyeah, my charvels got one in the bridge :D

purple_hazer
09-14-2006, 01:22 AM
srs@beast guitar food

Aus_rock_god
09-14-2006, 06:30 AM
How to make a squire strat sound much better in one easy step:

Turn the volume knob all the way down.

Seriously though, if you have stock pickups, a pickup change would do you a world of good. I reccomend the Duncan JB.

:lol:

The thing about Squires is they are constructed more or less exactly the same as Fenders... except the wood, electronics and everything to do with the guitar is sh!t.

You're better off in the long run to crack the sh!ts and save up for a better guitar.