PDA

View Full Version : Cort Curbow 6

funkyhoney
08-19-2006, 12:22 AM
Cort Curbow 6 - Made in Korea, 2003
I've had it for a while now, I felt a review was in order.
I have been playing nearly 15 months and this is my 3rd bass.

CONSTRUCTION/SCALE: Bolt-on / 34"
BODY: Luthite
NECK/FINGERBOARD: Maple / Ebonol
NECK WIDTH: 1F : 45mm / 24F : 68mm
NECK THICKNESS: 1F:20.5mm, 12F:22mm
NUT: Graphite Black
FRETS: 25 Full Jumbo Frets, 26/27 split
INLAYS: None
PICKUPS: Bartolini active MK-1 (in "sweet spot")
CONTROLS: 1 volume, 3 band active EQ, slap swith with 2 adjustable micro pots
ELECTRONICS: Bartolini mk-2 EQ
BRIDGE: EB10 (6)
TUNERS: Diecast
HARDWARE: Platinum
COLOR: Grey Metalic Satin
WEIGHT: 4.1kg approx.

Suggested Retail
$1250 AUS

Price Paid
$699 used

FEATURES: (4/5)
For a bass this price it is loaded with goodies that make it stand up to higer level basses.

As it only has one pickup, there's not much to say about the volume control, however the three band active EQ is nothing short of excellent, the ammount of tonal versatillity from that alone is quite good. As I've come to expect from active basses, the EQ pots lock into a mid position.

The slap switch is quite usefull and easy to flick mid-song, when pointed down it runs through the EQ, when flicked up it bypasses the EQ and boosts/shapes the lows and highs depending on the adjustments made to the micro pots on the electronics panel

The string spacing is slightly smaller than a standard six string but not to cramped, the wide neck is compensated for by the small width and is strong thanks to dual truss rods.

CONSTRUCTION/PLAYABILITY: (4.5/5)
The curbow is solidly constructed and nothing on it budges at all when played. The tuners are wonderfull and rarely need tuning at all; maybe once every week or so.

Despite the 34" scale the B string isn't floppy at all, and evern with the low action rarely buzzes unless slapped or played agressively. Even with light gauge strings it plays very well with relatively high tension.

The neck plays very well and is quite thin making the E and B very easy to reach even to those with smaller hands. The lack of inlays complement the black fretboard and dark body colour very well.

Access to the higher register is a thing of the past, the extra deep low cut-away makes reaching virtually any fret doable with ease. While playing on the very extreme registers, (20+ on G and C) it can be difficult to produce a clean tone if resting on the pickup, however, the thumb can also be rested on the extension of the neck on the bottom end (B string side). this allows more string vibration and makes it easier to produce warm, clean sounds.

The EB10 bridge is very chunky, however it creates a lot of sustain and is a breeze to intonate, re-string and adjust the action.

The Luthite body removes some of the weight of the bass but still produces a lovely tone. At just over 4kg (approx. 10 lbs) it is quite light for a larger bass, and weighs less than some 4 strings. The extended upper horn makes adjusting to a high strap quite easy, and eliminates neck dive.

The bass is lovely to look at, and while it may seem a bit bland, its dark look is what made me fall in love with it. The only complaint about the build is the relatively small lower horn, this can make playing while sitting a problem for most, however a good strap soon fixes that.

TONE: (4/5)
The sounds that this thing can produce are very diverse. Any thing from a low metal-ish rumbling, to a warm acoustic sound, to a crisp slap tone, this baby can do it all.

However at times it can be difficult to get an ideal EG accross the pickup. i.e. it may sound warm on the high end and growl on the low.

The MK-1 pup does a great job picking up all kinds of playing, fingerstyle, slap, chording, tapping. It is sensitive enough to pick up light tapping quite clearly.

The harmonics on this thing can ring to no end as well, especially on the high register.

VALUE: (5/5)
For the price, this is an incredible bass! Cort surely know how to make a fantastic product at an affordable price. For the price of a cort it is deifficult to find a bass that can outperform it, with the curbow, this is
no exception

OVERALL: (4.5/5)
I've played this bass through a range of amps and effects, and for the price I feel it's one of the best out
there. At my soundclick (http://www.soundclick.com/ryanhoney) you can find a short sound clip. It's a little
bit short and i made it only shortly after purchase. If you would like me to make another, or record something
in particular, jsut ask.
Any questions, ask away.

And now, piccies!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b185/FunkyHoney/bass%20stuff/IMG_0894.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b185/FunkyHoney/bass%20stuff/IMG_0880.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b185/FunkyHoney/bass%20stuff/IMG_0895.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b185/FunkyHoney/bass%20stuff/IMG_0898.jpg

funkyhoney
08-19-2006, 12:23 AM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b185/FunkyHoney/bass%20stuff/IMG_0897.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b185/FunkyHoney/bass%20stuff/IMG_0901.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b185/FunkyHoney/bass%20stuff/IMG_0905.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b185/FunkyHoney/me%20stuff/IMG_0991.jpg

thelowsoundofbass
08-19-2006, 01:17 AM
Good review, but I still don't get why the extra "half frets" are on the B, E and A strings. Makes more sense to me to have them on the D, G and C strings.

lowsound

mastrrbasser
08-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Good review, but I still don't get why the extra "half frets" are on the B, E and A strings. Makes more sense to me to have them on the D, G and C strings.

lowsound

i think it's to make it look futuristic and sleek. i like it.

funkyhoney
08-24-2006, 06:57 AM
i think it's to make it look futuristic and sleek. i like it.

a little to futuristic, they're out of production

JeBuSrOcKs
08-24-2006, 06:59 AM
wasnt the extra frets on the B, E and A string meant to be there for slapping or something like that

funkyhoney
08-24-2006, 07:29 AM
they do help slapping
i usually use them as a finger rest :p

edgebass5
08-24-2006, 12:01 PM
I need to make some clarifications to this review. Just for reference I previously owned a Cort Curbow 5 so these aren't my assumptions, they're facts:

CONSTRUCTION/SCALE: Bolt-on / 34"
The neck joint on this bass isn't a typical bolt-on. The neck is actually recessed all the way down to just above the pickup location. This is due to how they form the luthite body. In my opinion its a much better method for doing a bolt-on neck, but its pretty much limited to luthite bodies as it would be very difficult to accomodate on a wood bodied bass.[/QUOTE]

The slap switch is quite usefull and easy to flick mid-song, when pointed down it runs through the EQ, when flicked up it bypasses the EQ and boosts/shapes the lows and highs depending on the adjustments made to the micro pots on the electronics panel
This isn't accurate. The slap switch does not bypass the EQ, nor does it boost the lows and the highs. It simply cuts the mids from the EQ. The amount of mids cut from the EQ are controlled by the micro pot labeled "depth" (I've been told that Cort renamed this micropot in the last run of models, but I can't confirm that).

Even with light gauge strings it plays very well with relatively high tension.
Please note that there is a HUGE difference between perceived tension and actual tension.

Access to the higher register is a thing of the past, the extra deep low cut-away makes reaching virtually any fret doable with ease.
One thing of note. This cut-away makes playing in the seated position without a strap a bit difficult. By all accounts this is the most common reason that people don't buy a Cort Curbow. (Just noticed that you noted this later in your review)

it is quite light for a larger bass, and weighs less than some 4 strings.
Larger bass? These basses have some of the smallest bodies I've ever played. Sure a Steinberger XL or Synapse has it licked for small bodies, but the Cort Curbow is actually a VERY small bodied bass.

Your review was good, I just wanted to point a few things out. :thumb:

funkyhoney
08-25-2006, 08:12 AM
thanks for clarifying man

i guess its more of a set neck huh?

i wasn't sure about the slap switch exactly, i'm not all there when it comes to electronics.

it does have a smaller body but being a six string still holds more mass, thats what i was getting at

but thanks anyway man.

oh, and jsut to note, mines an '03 model and is still labelled "slap depth"

d-basser
08-27-2006, 02:03 PM
sorry are these out of production...noooooooo...i want one :(

funkyhoney
08-28-2006, 04:37 AM
i've heard that they are

and none of the cort websites have them anymore, i assume they stopped production this year

edgebass5
08-28-2006, 01:05 PM
i guess its more of a set neck huh?

Definitely not a set neck. A set neck is actually glued into place. This is still technically a bolt on, but it lands somewhere in between a bolt on and a neck thru in terms of construction.

funkyhoney
08-29-2006, 05:02 AM
Definitely not a set neck. A set neck is actually glued into place. This is still technically a bolt on, but it lands somewhere in between a bolt on and a neck thru in terms of construction.

either way, better than a standard bolt on, so im happy :)

sg_bassist
09-05-2006, 07:00 AM
I've never owned a Cort before, but having tested one out a few weeks ago (as well as having read your review), I'm now convinced that my third bass should be a Cort. Just can't decide whether to go for a 5-string (something I'm very comfortable with) or a 6-string (more notes, but harder for me to get used to), though.

Discounts for second-hand basses; you gotta love 'em.

funkyhoney
09-05-2006, 07:06 AM
I've never owned a Cort before, but having tested one out a few weeks ago (as well as having read your review), I'm now convinced that my third bass should be a Cort. Just can't decide whether to go for a 5-string (something I'm very comfortable with) or a 6-string (more notes, but harder for me to get used to), though.

Discounts for second-hand basses; you gotta love 'em.

if you're going for a four string i'd go for a GB94 or an A4 is you can, if your going to get a 6 string in for you, a more "traditional" shape would be A6 over a curbow.. a lot easier to find as well.

sg_bassist
09-05-2006, 07:36 AM
if you're going for a four string

Who said anything 'bout a 4-string? I don't mind 4-string basses, but I usually prefer to play 5-string basses. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

funkyhoney
09-05-2006, 07:42 AM
Who said anything 'bout a 4-string? I don't mind 4-string basses, but I usually prefer to play 5-string basses. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

in that case make it an A5, GB95, or curbow 5 :p

Dzrael
10-06-2006, 07:24 AM
I purchased one of these last year in July. I purchased it through a local company, and they cut me a very nice deal. I was impressed. Paid about 340.00 for one of these. I was satisfied. I couldn't complain for the price that I bought it at.

There are better out there, but when you're running on a budget, you search for something that sounds good for a small price. It's saddening to hear they are out of production.

IPolkaLikeThis!
10-06-2006, 05:25 PM
they went out of production before I knew I wanted one...

now I want one like omg badly.

sell me yours?

Dzrael
10-06-2006, 08:08 PM

sell me yours?

It's my only bass at the moment, and I don't plan on selling it anytime soon. =)

funkyhoney
10-07-2006, 03:30 AM

sell me yours?

can't buy mine unless you pay for postage :amaze:

and even then, no :smash:

Dzrael
10-08-2006, 11:32 AM
if you're going for a four string i'd go for a GB94 or an A4 is you can, if your going to get a 6 string in for you, a more "traditional" shape would be A6 over a curbow.. a lot easier to find as well.

I would love to get my hands on a A4. Tis beautiful. ^_^

PsychoTronn
02-10-2007, 01:26 AM
nice bass

funkyhoney
02-11-2007, 05:15 AM
i like to think so

Pastorius
02-12-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm almost 100% certain you can get them in a shop where I used to live (Cardiff). But the owner of that shop owns a significant proportion of Cort as well. So there's a lot of Cort gear down there compared to other shops.

Chester
02-21-2007, 10:47 AM
ive seen a couple of the curbows on ebay probably going for around 300 dollars, so if anyone is interested they might want to consider looking through there.