PDA

View Full Version : Amp modification

ozzyomega
06-18-2006, 04:18 PM
I'm thinking of mod-ing my amp. :naughty: I'm not sure what to do. Thinking bout renewing the plasticy covering and probably put a new grill on or something. This is it: [HOMEMADE CAB]

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/ozzyomega/bass.jpg

Can anyone suggest anything?? Thankyou :)

Ozzy x

hellonearth07
06-18-2006, 04:20 PM
stuff the cab(if its not open back) to reduce standing waves inside the cab. This'll give it a richer tone

ozzyomega
06-18-2006, 04:21 PM
What shall i stuff it with? [it's not open back]

hellonearth07
06-18-2006, 04:26 PM
i've heard of using insulation, the kind that is pink and fluffy not the styrofoam board type stuff.

You could also use those foam panels that are used inside studios. They have a pyramidal texture on them, i'll post pics if you dont know what they are

and also the stuff you stuff pillows with... i dunno what its called.... they sell it in sewing aisles and what not.

When you stuff your cabinet make sure you just attach the material to the inside sides of the cabinet, I wouldnt put the material on the baffle board itself. The baffle board is what the speakers are attached to

Edit: the linnk for the foam pads...http://www.music123.com/Auralex-Studiofoam-Pyramid-2-inch-i11913.music... a lil bit pricey but does the job

ozzyomega
06-18-2006, 04:37 PM
What about appearance-wise?? Anything i can do to change it's image? It looks a bit crap!

hellonearth07
06-18-2006, 04:42 PM
hmmm... stainless corners, grill that covers the whole front, and cover the outside in something like tolex OR if on a tight budget, outdoor carpetting. The carpet has a rubber back, and comes in a variety of colors. That stuff lasts too

SirSpamalot
06-18-2006, 04:43 PM
cool blinky flashy light shi

and cover the cab with shag carpet

mikespahn
06-18-2006, 04:47 PM
are you in a band? if so, airbrush your logo on it somewhere or make a 3 dimentional symbol and attatch it.

ozzyomega
06-18-2006, 04:59 PM
How would i do all this?

NavyBass
06-18-2006, 05:25 PM
That stuffing the amp suggestion is not recommended at all. There are many reasons not to do this.

First, it doesn't get rid of ambient anything!!! That is a complete load of bull.

Second, the output transistors get nice and hot, this could burn the stuffing and cause a fire. If you have tubes in it (like a preamp tube), there's extra heat to toast the stuffing.

Third, this one goes along with number 2, ventilation. You stuff it and all that heat gets trapped inside causing the components to overheat and fail.

hellonearth07
06-18-2006, 05:45 PM
JP, I know your work with bass guitars and i respect that, But from what i read and heard first hand from a **** load of people, STUFFING CABINETS DOES REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF STANDING WAVES AND GIVES A RICHER TONE!

What inside a cabinet will produce enough heat to start a fire??? there arent any tubes or electrical work other then the speakers, jacks and possibly a crossover!!

I mighta called the cabinet an amp by accident but it was from reading the post where the TS asked ways to mod his amp(in his terms he meant the CAB)

EDIT: NVM i did say the cab, so JP could you please tell us where you'd find tubes etc as stated inside the actual cabinet??

neatobassman
06-18-2006, 05:55 PM
That stuffing the amp suggestion is not recommended at all. There are many reasons not to do this.

First, it doesn't get rid of ambient anything!!! That is a complete load of bull.

Second, the output transistors get nice and hot, this could burn the stuffing and cause a fire. If you have tubes in it (like a preamp tube), there's extra heat to toast the stuffing.

Third, this one goes along with number 2, ventilation. You stuff it and all that heat gets trapped inside causing the components to overheat and fail.

He's just stuffing the cab, not the amp.

hellonearth07
06-18-2006, 05:57 PM

Thank You thank you

NavyBass
06-18-2006, 06:25 PM

Oops. Sorry about that. I did hear of a few people puting stuffing in an amp head though. Not a good idea.

hellonearth07
06-18-2006, 06:59 PM
ooo gotta agree with the stuffing the amp head... that'd have not uses except if your a pyromaniac and want an expensive fire

johnb73
06-18-2006, 07:40 PM
ya know what would be a neat kidna coprny flashy type thing....Some Electro luminesent(sp) wire also known as ELwire. just put it around your speakers it might look neat if it was diald into your sound then it would light as you play...causiong seizures and such
\

i apologize for my spelling, its terrible

Rowan S
06-19-2006, 06:47 AM
i heard somewhere about putting the speaker the wrong way round.. Something about fatter tone. :S

i could be wrong but didnt the acoustic 360 have the speaker the wrong way round? or was it just jacos amp:wave:

pitchfork
06-19-2006, 09:47 AM
You could give it a custom paintjob, change the leds, change the grille,

Zhorius
06-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Get some diamond plate (not the aluminum) at your local metals store, it shouldnt be too expensive if you dont get the aluminum one, and get a beat strobe and put it in the middle of the 4 speakers, youll love it. :) Thats what i suggest you should do.