PDA

View Full Version : Flea's Tone

chris998
05-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Ok well im learning some chilli's stuff atm, cant seem to get his tone right though

anyone know what he boost's / cuts etc in terms of eq

i did try searching but it kept giving me some error

Akira
05-29-2006, 02:46 PM
I don't know about his EQ, but he uses flatwound strings.

Mr. Pickle
05-29-2006, 02:51 PM
buy a GK stack

FunkMetalBass
05-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Fairly generally when it comes to funk: solo the bridge pickup, keep the mids flat, and boost treble and bass. Minor adjustments from there.

Sergio
05-29-2006, 02:55 PM
I don't know about his EQ, but he uses flatwound strings.

Where did you hear that?

That'd be kinda funny if it were true, considering his signature string set are roundwonds. :p

moghes69
05-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Where did you hear that?

That'd be kinda funny if it were true, considering his signature string set are roundwonds. :p
the '61 jazz bass he uses is strung up with really old flats on it. thats according to bass player magazine. so if you want flea's tone from stadium arcadium, get a '61 fender jazz with flats and a GK stack.

Akira
05-29-2006, 02:59 PM
^Yeah, I got it out of Bass Player.
He plays both.

TheClap
05-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Where did you hear that?

From Flea himself.

Sorry, but now he does use flatwounds and a 61' Fender jazz, nice try though, as for his tone, in his recent bassplayer interview he said "When I did all the albums up to this one(stadium arcadium), I didn't care about my tone I just turned the mid and bass up a bit and the treble alot."

Rowan S
05-29-2006, 03:03 PM
I really wouldnt recomend buying a new bass to get someone elses tone, chances are in a few months time youll be bored of the chilis. I used to crave his tone aswell, i was gonna start saving for the Flea Bass, but then i got bored and moved onto jaco ( and now i want jacos bass haha)

he uses GHS flea boomers, or something like that. i bought a set once, they didnt make a terrible amount of difference i found. But i just happen to have one of those stupid amps that always sounds the same no matter what bass u play through it. EG my squire jazz bass sounds exactly the same as a fender USA deluxa and a fodera yin yang bass!!

Sergio
05-29-2006, 03:03 PM
the '61 jazz bass he uses is strung up with really old flats on it. thats according to bass player magazine. so if you want flea's tone from stadium arcadium, get a '61 fender jazz with flats and a GK stack.

Okay, I got ya. :wave:

rik
05-29-2006, 03:05 PM
I really wouldnt recomend buying a new bass to get someone elses tone, chances are in a few months time youll be bored of the chilis. I used to crave his tone aswell, i was gonna start saving for the Flea Bass, but then i got bored and moved onto jaco ( and now i want jacos bass haha)
He didn't say anything about getting a new bass, he was asking about eq settings.

Rowan S
05-29-2006, 03:09 PM
buy a GK stack

Sorry i forgot to quote. i was replying to that ^^^

Akira
05-29-2006, 03:10 PM
he uses GHS flea boomers, or something like that. i bought a set once, they didnt make a terrible amount of difference i found. But i just happen to have one of those stupid amps that always sounds the same no matter what bass u play through it. EG my squire jazz bass sounds exactly the same as a fender USA deluxa and a fodera yin yang bass!!
Proof that playing a bad bass through a good amp is better than playing a good bass through a bad amp.

kilian
05-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Sorry i forgot to quote. i was replying to that ^^^
That's an amp.

Octavius
05-29-2006, 03:43 PM
I read in a Bass legends book i have that Flea cranks up his treble, Puts the Mids in the middle and has the bass about 3/4 of the way up. I use the same tone and its awsome!!

neatobassman
05-29-2006, 03:57 PM
I love the article on Flea and Heden and Flea's other article.

Also, in the old days, Flea didn't care about his tone, so it's doesn't really matter in my opinion

mastrrbasser
05-29-2006, 04:17 PM
a lot of his tone has to do with the way he plays. If you had fleas jazz bass with his strings and his amp, or his modulus flea bass through the same rig with the same settings, you will not be able to emulate his tone. That can be said about any musician. They have their own feel that contributes to their tone.

MyFriendOfMisery
05-29-2006, 05:36 PM
I wish I could get a tone like Flea's without caring about tone.

katana_manatee
05-29-2006, 06:09 PM
I don't see the point in trying to get another bassists tone. You should try and find your own sound which doesn't too closely follow any other bassist in particular. But for a useable rock/funk tone I find having both pickups on with quite a bit of mid, not as much bass but a bit more treble than bass. That sort of configuration would sound fine doing Chilli's stuff but you have to experiment and see what sounds good to your own ears. All you have to do is mess around.

pukeboy66
05-29-2006, 06:20 PM
I wish I could get a tone like Flea's without caring about tone.

am i the only one who thinks his tone is just meh?

SquierBasser
05-29-2006, 06:22 PM
^ It's OK, sometimes its great and sometimes its meh...

Rawb
05-29-2006, 07:34 PM
hmmm.

I need to try out some flatwounds.

Flea rides the bridge pickup all the way. The only song that at least seems like he used the neck pickup (Stadium Arcadium) would be warlocks.

thrashfanatic2010
05-29-2006, 08:34 PM
I picked up the new album today and his bass playing and tone seems to fit the context of the songs well but why the hell didn't he use his Modulus signature on the record??

I mean tonally its superior to anything else hes really played

thelowsoundofbass
05-29-2006, 09:58 PM
I love his tone on the new album. BTW and Cali had great tones as well. Everythign before that was meh, and pre BSSM was just horrable bass tone.

lowsound

mastrrbasser
05-29-2006, 10:03 PM
I love his tone on the new album. BTW and Cali had great tones as well. Everythign before that was meh, and pre BSSM was just horrable bass tone.

lowsound

his spector tone on uplift mofo and mothers milk were great.

modulus is making a flea bass with jazz pups now too. He'll probably start using that live, and the jazz bass in the studio.

thelowsoundofbass
05-29-2006, 10:07 PM
his spector tone on uplift mofo and mothers milk were great.

modulus is making a flea bass with jazz pups now too. He'll probably start using that live, and the jazz bass in the studio.

Way too much treble for my tasts, a little bit of mids and it would have been great.

lowsound

e p
05-29-2006, 10:08 PM
his tone in the volta is where its at

mastrrbasser
05-29-2006, 10:19 PM
his tone in the volta is where its at

deffinately. i think he was using a precision for that album. Ive seen videos of flea jamming out with frusciante and omar and he's using a precision bass.

e p
05-29-2006, 10:22 PM
yeah i think youre right

thelowsoundofbass
05-29-2006, 10:23 PM
deffinately. i think he was using a precision for that album. Ive seen videos of flea jamming out with frusciante and omar and he's using a precision bass.

I love that tone, those vids are great as well.

lowsound

low-G
05-29-2006, 10:46 PM
i dont think his tone is that amazing
its cool, but not spectacular
as far as alt-funk-rock goes, i'd much rather have TIm Commerford's tone

but yeah Flea's tone also varies from album to album
i like it best on One Hot Minute

Mr. Pickle
05-29-2006, 10:58 PM
timmy c has some nice effect tones, but from just straight bass===>amp tone, i dont think timmy c touches flea.

IMO.

mastrrbasser
05-29-2006, 11:10 PM
my favorite rock tone is geddy lee's tone on counterparts. especially on tracks like "cut to the chase." After i found out that Timmy C was a huge geddy fan when he was younger, it's evident that he copped the tone off of this album(or the idea of it at least).

d-basser
05-30-2006, 04:02 AM
Timmy's tone is cool but he uses abit to much drive for ma liking, some times you just need it clean

Chris K
05-30-2006, 07:07 AM
my favorite rock tone is geddy lee's tone on counterparts. especially on tracks like "cut to the chase." After i found out that Timmy C was a huge geddy fan when he was younger, it's evident that he copped the tone off of this album(or the idea of it at least).

I find Geddy's jazz bass tone so "meh", unless we're talking about Rio.

His Wal tone, however, is one of the most beautiful things in existence.

Myung
05-30-2006, 11:39 AM
am i the only one who thinks his tone is just meh?

... no