PDA

View Full Version : P-Bass pups

ironflippy
05-23-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm a guitarist and since I acquired a Data Bass amp, I figured it would be a good idea to refinish my bass, get new pups, electronics, etc. I have most of it all figured out, but I'm not really sure what to look for in pups. I want to go passive, and they have to be split P style so I don't have to re-route anything. I plan on playing mostly rock (metal, punk, classic rock, prog, everything). Any recommendations? I'd assume the good guitar pup manufacturers would also make good bass pups (dimarzio, SD, bill lawrence, etc.), but I don't know how to decide between the different models. I hope I gave enough info, if not, just ask. Thanks in advance.

Az_Holl
05-24-2006, 12:29 AM
Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan are very good. They both tell you on sites what they sound like (in a nutshell).

For most rock stuff Dimarzio are very good.

ironflippy
05-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Thanks Atomicant! I've pretty much decided on DiMarzio's Split P. Anyone have any bad experiences with them?

neatobassman
05-24-2006, 11:46 AM
I hear Semour Duncan Quater Pounders are a good way to go

SLKBassist
05-24-2006, 05:01 PM
If Dimarzios possibly get The Will Power split P. They are the current Billy Sheehan model. Although you could get the Model P's, which are what he used prior to the making of the Will Power P-up.s

ironflippy
05-24-2006, 05:25 PM
SLKBassist: I prefer a more bass-heavy tone than Billy, which is more about the mids (at least from what I've heard, I know a lot of his tone comes from that humbucker in the neck).

neatobassman: I looked at those, and they seem pretty nice, but I'm leaning a bit more to the humbuckers of the Split P.

I may get the SD SPB-3. It says that Steve Harris plays them, and I've always liked his tone.

wicked_child
05-24-2006, 05:29 PM
I hear Semour Duncan Quater Pounders are a good way to go

if you want to sound like hoppus. :)

neatobassman
05-24-2006, 05:40 PM
if you want to sound like hoppus. :)

:confused: If you're lame and have the same set up, you will have Hoppus' tone.

wicked_child
05-24-2006, 05:46 PM
i didnt say that hoppus is lame, in fact he has a cool tone. :)

ironflippy
05-24-2006, 06:02 PM
There's nothing wrong with his tone. It's all in the playing.

wicked_child
05-24-2006, 06:28 PM
i guess playing straight 8ths is a good, rock solid approach to their songs. :)