PDA

View Full Version : Welcome!

Tryxx
05-01-2006, 07:57 PM
First of all - this subforum is subject to the normal rules of the bass forum. You should know what they are by now. :)

We're trying out a new idea. Basically we're going to see if this forums gets enough traffic to be useable, feedback if you like it or not would be appreciated. We'll try to get some "Ask a Luthier" stuff if this goes through as well!

Idea courtesy JPBass.

:thumb:

Akira
05-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Sorry about the thread, I thought I could delete it.

LewsTherin
05-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Ive started my luthiery FAQ. Ive started the basic woods list/descriptions, and the section on composite necks.

Ill be adding:

-Designing/translating a design into wood
-Manufacturing wood/composite parts (ie, knobs, bridges, tailpeices, cavity covers, pickguards)
-Tools
-Safety
-etc.

Tryxx
05-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Moved some threads over, any other ideas would be great.

trumpeter
05-01-2006, 08:29 PM
This is pretty awesome.

Left Shoe
05-01-2006, 09:42 PM
good idea, this could definitley help us tech inept people

backsidetailslide
05-01-2006, 09:42 PM
someone want to come up with a nice index of useful sites?
it would be verrrrrry helpful. add that defret guide, and probably http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/ this forum. lots of answers here.

doodooking
05-02-2006, 02:56 AM
does this include setup threads and pickup threads?

EDIT: Nevermind

Dave293
05-02-2006, 04:32 AM
It any one is intrested i am currently building a guitar (yes i know its not a bass but the concepts and technuiques used are the same) I have alot of progress pictures showing how i have done things. Is it ok if i post it.

If wanted i could compile a list of useful sites of tutorials and supplies for modding etc

Don't worry my next guitar is a bass, i've already started getting the wood. :)

Also i'm pretty sure it's spelled lutherie.

EDIT: i've started a list it has 130+ links so far.

PainKiller8191
05-02-2006, 06:43 AM
yeah this is a good idea for a subforum...nice:)

Rollo47
05-02-2006, 07:23 AM
Cool idea.

One thing I would like to see in here is maybe one or two threads on really basic electronics stuff. Like, which wires are which, what they do, how to solder, basic electronic parts, etc.

It'd be a huge help for those particularly technically inept people such as myself.

da_s_man13
05-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Sweeeet. Just as im about to start building a Jazz. Great idea.

Son of Magni
05-02-2006, 11:17 AM
I'll try to remember to take a look in here every day or so and answer any questions that I can.

Tryxx, you might want to make it explicitly clear whether basic setup questions that are documented elsewhere are allowed here. Ya know "my neck is bowed, what should I do?"

I've been thinking about documenting my building process, step by step, from beginning to end. Of course that would require me to have to the time to do it :p But I wonder if I could do something like that in installments?

telemore
05-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Cool idea.

One thing I would like to see in here is maybe one or two threads on really basic electronics stuff. Like, which wires are which, what they do, how to solder, basic electronic parts, etc.

It'd be a huge help for those particularly technically inept people such as myself.
Oh man, that'd be fantastic.

Great idea for a subforum, btw. I'll be lurking in here quite a bit, methinks.

Tryxx
05-02-2006, 01:00 PM
I'll try to remember to take a look in here every day or so and answer any questions that I can.

Tryxx, you might want to make it explicitly clear whether basic setup questions that are d0cumented elsewhere are allowed here. Ya know "my neck is bowed, what should I do?"

I've been thinking about d0cumenting my building process, step by step, from beginning to end. Of course that would require me to have to the time to do it :p But I wonder if I could do something like that in installments?

Glad you'll help out. :)

In a perfect world they would be here, but as a forum we kind of know that's not possible. Just like the beginner questions don't stay in that forum either. Either way, if worse comes to worse and this place is active enough we can move the threads over and sooner or later it'll be understood that they can go here. My take on this place was an active resources section. (But hell, that was probably supposed to be active when it was first created as well.:p)

You could, if so inclined. I think that would be AWESOME.

Chris K
05-02-2006, 01:27 PM
heh, now we have this, SoM might be able to show JP how to make a decent looking bass....

nopicks4me
05-02-2006, 06:49 PM

Tryxx, you might want to make it explicitly clear whether basic setup questions that are d0cumented elsewhere are allowed here. Ya know "my neck is bowed, what should I do?"

I've been thinking about d0cumenting my building process, step by step, from beginning to end. Of course that would require me to have to the time to do it :p But I wonder if I could do something like that in installments?

i would like to see thoes two explained.

gillygan
05-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Is this gonna be put in the guitar forum too?

Tryxx
05-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Is this gonna be put in the guitar forum too?

That's really between the guitar mods and Alex, or the other admins.

AG
05-07-2006, 04:45 PM
I'm very happy about this place.

Not that I plan on building Basses, I'm a guitar man at heart.

I can't wait until the summer when I can get started on my first real project guitar, instead of making countless parts/bits/plans

Also, I'd like to volunteer myself as a wiring 'expert' (far from it, but I have enough experience wiring guitars to sink a ship) for any questions.

The guys from the GF know that I'm always available to help, so you guys should take advantage of me too :naughty:

Miek
05-07-2006, 04:51 PM
We do love to manipulate him in odd ways.

Wintermute
05-08-2006, 07:34 AM
Also i'm pretty sure it's spelled lutherie.

Perhaps in France! :mad:

Heh... but interestingly, neither Luthiery nor Lutherie is listed at http://www.dictionary.com , and since it's Luthier rather than Luther, I'm sticking with Luthiery until it can be proven otherwise. :)

Peg Dizzler
05-08-2006, 08:42 AM
^ Well, even though it's a very petty argument :p It is spelled "lutherie" all over the internet.
And that includes this, a school of lutherie that has been around for years, which I hope to attend soon. http://www.galloupguitars.com
It says right at the top..

bottlerocket
05-08-2006, 09:38 AM

You'll come to the low side just yet...

-Gav

Wintermute
05-08-2006, 10:18 AM
^ Well, even though it's a very petty argument :p It is spelled "lutherie" all over the internet.
And that includes this, a school of lutherie that has been around for years, which I hope to attend soon. http://www.galloupguitars.com
It says right at the top..

I'll give you that, actually. Google does give over a million more results for lutherie than luthiery.

*goes to change it*

Peg Dizzler
05-08-2006, 10:23 AM
You're an awesome mod. :D

AG
05-08-2006, 10:29 AM
/feels jealous

I thought I was your favourite, man.

:p

Wintermute
05-08-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm very happy about this place.

I can't wait until the summer when I can get started on my first real project guitar, instead of making countless parts/bits/plans

Also, I'd like to volunteer myself as a wiring 'expert' (far from it, but I have enough experience wiring guitars to sink a ship) for any questions.

The guys from the GF know that I'm always available to help, so you guys should take advantage of me too :naughty:

If you like it'd be the work of a second to make this a shared subforum, for bass and guitar. The techniques and issues are much the same, after all.

AG
05-08-2006, 01:13 PM
I'd absolutely love that.

Wintermute
05-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Done - and to simplify things a bit, I'll bring you on as a local in this subforum.

Obviously Teal
05-08-2006, 03:51 PM
this is a really cool forum idea.... Rollo47 has the coolest dp ive seen yet

shred_like_me
05-09-2006, 04:03 AM
this is a good idea

Mr. Black
05-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Good Idea.

ledzepfan
07-31-2006, 01:42 PM
HI
I'm Alex
I play guitar,bass,and mandolin.
Me and My friends have a band and play classic rock mixed with a jam band format.

hans-jürgen
08-12-2006, 06:09 AM
someone want to come up with a nice index of useful sites?http://dmoz.org/Arts/Music/Instruments/Stringed/Guitar/Luthiers/

This is the lutherie category of the Open Directory Project, the biggest web directory edited by volunteers. By the way, thanks for the link to the Project Guitar forum, I'll add it to the guitar related chats and forum category soon.

http://dmoz.org/Arts/Music/Instruments/Stringed/Guitar/Chats_and_Forums/

intha doghaus
10-26-2006, 11:04 PM
cool forum. i have two basses at present. a yamaha rbx 250(entry level rig), and a dean acoustic. i am at present building a solid body out of red alder and walnut, and i would like to use a "soap bar" humbucker. i can find plenty of those. the only problem is they are all black! there has to be nickel finish hb out there somewhere! anyone have an idea where i can get my grubby mits on one?

fastcar_183
03-01-2007, 09:00 PM
First of all - this subforum is subject to the normal rules of the bass forum. You should know what they are by now. :)

We're trying out a new idea. Basically we're going to see if this forums gets enough traffic to be useable, feedback if you like it or not would be appreciated. We'll try to get some "Ask a Luthier" stuff if this goes through as well!

Idea courtesy JPBass.

:thumb:

can you give me some idea?