PDA

View Full Version : Washburn Taurus 14, quilt top

VinnySixKnuckles
04-23-2006, 07:22 PM
Alright this is my second bass. I started playing July 6, 2005. I've had it since December 05. I bought it at my local music store, where they sell primarily Washburn, Fender, and Ibanez. I didn't like the tone of the Ibanez ones at all, and the Fenders were a little steep. Squier doesn't seem worth it to me. I opted for mid-range and acceptable, the passive and pretty nice looking T14Q. I payed $300 marked down from $400.

http://washburn.com/products/basses/images/zoom_t14qts.jpg

So the first thing I noticed was:
SUSTAIN
This may or may not be a good thing. I personally like it sometimes, but I think my playing style would benefit more from punchier pickups.

The tone is pretty versatile, but I find the jazz pickup lacking. Since it's one of those p split and j single combos, it has a pretty mediocre tone you might expect from this range.
It cannot slap or pop very well at all. Tapping and hammering is handled pretty decently.

The finish is really cool. It doesn't look cheap really, it has a nice gradient to it. The picture is pretty accurate. The shape is pretty effective, doesn't dive at all and is comfortable for long standing. But the tradeoff on that is. . . sitting down with it can kill your spine. I wouldn't reccomend it.
There were two blemishes, both miniscule but nevertheless present. One chip where the body meets the neck and a little divet on the back. I can deal with that.
It stays in tune very well, good machines.

The higher end Taurus's, the 24 and 25 (five string) are very very good. Those have an awwwwesome construction. Great laminate and they are neck-thru also.

Features:
3/5
Bad slapping/popping, good hammering. Great sustain. Decent tone/range. Clear warm sound. Low noise. Stays in tune.

Quality:
3/5
Construction is very sturdy, yet the flaws might bother some. The neck is pretty good, the action is acceptable (maybe on the high side), the finish is pretty good.

Value:
5/5
This is where it shines. What can I say, in my opinion it's the best for $300-$400.

Overall:
4/5
Is it a Ric or a Fodera? No. Is it good enough to make people say "damn that's cool"? If you're a good bassist. It's a good instrument.

All in all, I love my T14. I don't regret it a bit.

Radiobass81
04-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Holy crap that looks amazing!

blizzard
04-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Nice, I've got an older Washburn and I agree with you that the pickups could be a little more aggressive sounding.

golf
04-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Nice bass its nice to see a nice looking Washburn, you just have to spend a little bit of change putting in some nice pick-ups to give you the tone that you want.

VinnySixKnuckles
04-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Holy crap that looks amazing!
Oh yea, that's definately the first reason I tried out this one. The edge on the paint job isn't sharp at all, it's very very smooth and almost surreal looking. Best I've seen for less than like $500.

Nice, I've got an older Washburn and I agree with you that the pickups could be a little more aggressive sounding.
Hmm. . . so this is not a new development? Someone should tell Washburn about this. I'm sure they can afford it.

Nice bass its nice to see a nice looking Washburn, you just have to spend a little bit of change putting in some nice pick-ups to give you the tone that you want.
Yea that's a good idea, I don't know much yet though so I might have to get someone else to do it. Unless you know of an online walkthrough or something on how to do it and what kind to get.

Chris K
04-25-2006, 03:35 AM
Hmm, looks pretty ugly.

Criss Frantic
04-25-2006, 05:18 AM
I've got the Washburn T-25, the bigger brother of this model, and it's a fantastic bass for the price.

kev_trb1006
04-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Looks really funky, but I say the tone leaves a little more to be desired. Could be a little more aggressive? I've only tried one of these once before, and the tone was smooth as a mirror. Maybe be a good thing for some, but not me, sorry

VinnySixKnuckles
04-25-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that it looks rather phallic on top. That kinda stood out to me-- maybe I'm just a little bit of a perv?

Criss Frantic
05-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Ah yes, and the T24 and 25 are passive not active as you stated.

VinnySixKnuckles
05-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Ah yes, and the T24 and 25 are passive not active as you stated.

oh that's kinda a relief, now mine doesn't seem so inferior.
i wonder where i got that whole active pickups notion from then.